PDA

View Full Version : The main key to winning the division

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 01:19 AM
I briefly posted my thoughts in my blog, but what do you think is the MAIN key to winning the division?

JB98
08-23-2009, 01:23 AM
There are two spots in the starting rotation that aren't that good right now. Fixing that is the biggest key. There are other issues, but that is the most important one, IMO.

cards press box
08-23-2009, 01:23 AM
I briefly posted my thoughts in my blog, but what do you think is the MAIN key to winning the division?

Strong starting pitching, good defense and a balanced offensive game.

The Sox won tonight 4-1 because John Danks battled and Gordon Beckham played great defense. The Sox have a diverse offense that will likely be good enough to win the division. The division will turn on how well the Sox starters pitch and whether the Sox catch the ball.

chisox616
08-23-2009, 01:38 AM
I read somewhere the Sox have the most unearned runs in the league--that usually doesn't result in a playoff berth.

OmahaSoxFan
08-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Getting guys in when they are RISP is huge for us right now... every game we have seemed to lose has been based on us not driving our runs in from 2nd or 3rd base... if we get it together there, with our starting pitching and bullpen we will be in position for great things.

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 01:46 AM
I read somewhere the Sox have the most unearned runs in the league--that usually doesn't result in a playoff berth.
That is a direct result of our having the most errors in the league.

Frater Perdurabo
08-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye

TornLabrum
08-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Strong starting pitching, good defense and a balanced offensive game.

I second that. You just used my milking stool analogy. That's what got us in in '05.

ode to veeck
08-23-2009, 08:52 AM
pitching and defense. we got the sticks to do it easily at the plate be patient, we're not gonna knock in every runner on base, but we need a full fleet of starters and good pen and especially continuing to make big plays on D and just a few less errors. It's starting to happen there on D, needs to continue.

Cuck the Fubs
08-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Without question the defense must improve....can't keep giving away extra outs/runs.

hawkjt
08-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye

This is my choice. Hitting. It has not been there from the big 2..PK and JD since the allstar break. Team average is .261, while the Orioles are at .275? and the angels at .291?
If the O's did not walk the house last nite, our 7 hits may not have been enough. When teams make the sox hit their way on, they really struggle.
Our rotation is good enough, our defense can be better,and has been better now that Nix and Beckham have settled in a bit more at their positions. Bullpen is good enough. Hitting in the cooler fall weather is tougher to begin with, and with the sox big swings, this a real concern. They hit a lot of popups.

voodoochile
08-23-2009, 09:25 AM
There are two spots in the starting rotation that aren't that good right now. Fixing that is the biggest key. There are other issues, but that is the most important one, IMO.

It's always ALL about the starting pitching. That's the most fundamental concept in baseball.

Okay, not all, but well over half...

doublem23
08-23-2009, 09:26 AM
How 'bout we just stop shooting ourselves in the foot?

Frontman
08-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Stupid bone-head errors. If the Sox would of stopped that back near the All-Star Break, I'd say it would of been a solid chance to win the division. As it stands; its going to be a punchers chance to win it. I'm not holding my breath; and I prefer seasons like 2009 over 2007 any day of the week mind you.

I think Kenny has given Ozzie an opportunity to win with a broken club. The trade for Peavy and the claim of Rios adds depth and will get this team shored up for next season; without really throwing in the towel this season.

balke
08-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Nowhere to point the finger now. Everyone just needs to do what they can do. The Sox need to win, and the Tigers need to lose. What would help the most is better defense probably. Not just solid, but more plays like Beckham made last night. Flash some leather, and the Sox will streak.

Procol Harum
08-23-2009, 10:16 AM
I second that. You just used my milking stool analogy. That's what got us in in '05.

I agree completely! Your analogy in and of itself, on its own, swept us to victory in '05!! :tongue:

HomeFish
08-23-2009, 11:08 AM
The Tigers need to stumble for us to win this thing.

russ99
08-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Not specifically RISP, but make other teams pay for their mistakes when we're batting. We're letting too many guys get off the hook.

And seemingly all our hitters need to do is relax. Lots of infield pop-ups mean we're pressing too much.

That and keep winning 2 of three in a series. That may not catch us up with the Tigers, but it will keep us in the race.

cards press box
08-23-2009, 11:24 AM

I don't think so. Let's say Peavy comes back during the Sox' second to last homestead of the year (starting on Sept. 4 against Boston) and pitches well. If the quartet of Buerhle, Peavy, Floyd and Danks pitch well and Beckham and Rios stabilize the Sox defense, then the Sox should remain in the hunt going into the final 15 games of the year which are: 3 against KC in Chicago, 3 against Minnesota in Chicago, 3 against Detroit in Chicago, 3 at Cleveland and 3 at Detroit.

The Sox really need to stay afloat during the next three weeks. I think they can do it.

voodoochile
08-23-2009, 11:46 AM

With 6 head to head matchups left with the kittens, that's not necessarily true. If the two teams play even until those games start then a sweep puts the Sox in. If the Sox can make up even one game then 4-2 creates a tie.

captain54
08-23-2009, 12:44 PM
I believe the bad defense is hurting worse than what has been mentioned so far...the defense so far has cost us a division lead.

the bad defense extends innings, weakens the pitching staff, are huge momentum changers during the course of the game, and is just damn frustrating for everyone..

couple that with the inability to score runners from 2nd and 3rd with less than 2 outs and we deserve to be exactly where we are..

Madscout
08-23-2009, 01:09 PM
I believe the bad defense is hurting worse than what has been mentioned so far...the defense so far has cost us a division lead.

the bad defense extends innings, weakens the pitching staff, are huge momentum changers during the course of the game, and is just damn frustrating for everyone..

couple that with the inability to score runners from 2nd and 3rd with less than 2 outs and we deserve to be exactly where we are..
Agreed. I voted defense. I have seen to game that Contreras has pitched, and both of them were blown in no small part by the defense.

Tragg
08-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Bullpen, which has disappointed this year.

oeo
08-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Starting pitching, no question. The rest will be a moot point if we're not getting good, consistent innings from the rotation.

The Tigers only need to continue playing like the Tigers for us to win this thing.

AnkleSox
08-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I voted other. The key to winning this division is winning the head to head games against the Kittens.

Ending the season in Detroit is pretty brutal but I think it may come down to the last game.