PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-22 Sox pluck feathers from Birds, 4-1

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Discuss

Boondock Saint
08-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Danks worked his ass off, and earned himself a win. Great game.

soxnut1018
08-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Bobby wasn't fat tonight! :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

Soxgirl22
Yay win! :D:

JB98
Sox pitchers walked eight men tonight. We got away with one, but we'll take it. With 39 games left, every game is critical now.

johnnyg83
Win the series and save the homestand tomorrow.

Ugly but effective ...

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Question for discussion: Not to piss on a win on my 33rd birthday, but in the game thread, JB98 called the Sox "criminally stupid." If that's true (and I think there's truth to it), doesn't that ultimately reflect poorly on the manager?

soxfanreggie
08-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Danks was not good looking, but he got the job done. We had way too many walks, and good teams will take advantage of that. We did get good work out of Thornton and Dotel. Bobby worked through a duck snort and walk to get his job done.

No hits from the top 3 in the order, but Thome and Quentin got the job done. Very happy with Alexei. I believe I said he had a double, but he must not have reached second before AJ was tagged out at 3rd.

I do think Ozzie should have put Lillibridge in to PR for Thome, especially with a lead and it being late in the game-anything to save his legs and prevent an injury.

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Can we please win the series tomorrow, and turn that into a nice long win streak?

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2009, 09:58 PM
After all the early walks, I am surprised the pace of the game increased and the game finished in under three hours.

JB98
08-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Question for discussion: Not to piss on a win on my 33rd birthday, but in the game thread, JB98 called the Sox "criminally stupid." If that's true (and I think there's truth to it), doesn't that ultimately reflect poorly on the manager?

Reflects poorly on everybody: GM, manager, coaches and players.

The team needs to play smarter.

manders_01
08-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Really liked this win! Seems to be just a bit sweeter than some of the others we've had this season. We kick so much ass on Saturday nights! :bandance:

soxfanreggie
08-22-2009, 10:00 PM
14 combined walks in the game. Neither pitching coach can be that happy about that, but Coop has to be pleased with the job the pen did: 1 hit (the duck snort) and no runs.

Britt Burns
08-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Good game for Danks...he really battled back to get a hard earned W. Let's do it again tomorrow!

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Reflects poorly on everybody: GM, manager, coaches and players.

The team needs to play smarter.

But I don't think the players aren't going to get smarter on their own. If the players are playing stupid, it seems to me that the manager and coaches have some work to do.

JB98
08-22-2009, 10:05 PM
But I don't think the players aren't going to get smarter on their own. If the players are playing stupid, it seems to me that the manager and coaches have some work to do.

These guys have played the game their whole lives. I don't think they need to be taught basic fundamentals at this point. They know what they're supposed to do. They just need to do it.

Ozzie and staff need to do a better job of holding guys accountable for their failure to execute the fundamentals.

That's my take. I gotta go put out a newspaper now. Happy birthday, Frater.

:happybday

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2009, 10:06 PM
These guys have played the game their whole lives. I don't think they need to be taught basic fundamentals at this point. They know what they're supposed to do. They just need to do it.

Ozzie and staff need to do a better job of holding guys accountable for their failure to execute the fundamentals.

That's my take. I gotta go put out a newspaper now. Happy birthday, Frater.

:happybday

Thanks, JB!

Lip Man 1
08-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Frater:

The Sox haven't won a home Sunday game all season, the law of averages says they have to sooner or later right?

:smile:

Also did they make a switch in the rotation? I thought Buehrle was going tonight?

Lip

twinsuck
08-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Has Bobby gotten skinnier?

Boondock Saint
08-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Has Bobby gotten skinnier?

This shtick is really getting tired. I don't mean to pick on you, but just the trend in general.

Martinigirl
08-22-2009, 10:49 PM
I love Danks. Clearly he didn't have his best stuff and there very well might have been some issue with is finger, but he gutted it out and got the victory. You can't ask for more than that.

Now hopefully MB can get a win tomorrow.

gobears1987
08-22-2009, 10:50 PM
I wish I was watching this game since it appears to have gone much better than my date.

Jurr
08-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Let's hope Oakland makes this game stick out. Come on A's! Get tough!

GlassSox
08-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Frater:

The Sox haven't won a home Sunday game all season, the law of averages says they have to sooner or later right?

Also did they make a switch in the rotation? I thought Buehrle was going tonight?

Lip

Sorry Lip but the law of averages for tomorrow is 50/50 :cool:

The Immigrant
08-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Dye should sit tomorrow. His bat is ice cold and has been so this entire month.

ChiSoxGirl
08-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Let's get a Sunday win so I can write a damn positive game report for a change!

whitesoxfan
08-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Frater:

Lip

That's not true. We beat the Cubs at the Cell on that Sunday game.

tebman
08-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Let's get a Sunday win so I can write a damn positive game report for a change!

You really do seem to have drawn the short straw. I have lotsa fun writing them up on Saturday nights. :redneck

hi im skot
08-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Frater:

Lip

That's not true. We beat the Cubs at the Cell on that Sunday game.

What is it you say about facts not getting in the way of opinions, Lip?

:D:

Nothing was pretty tonight, but a win is a win is a win.

The Immigrant
08-22-2009, 11:28 PM
The White Sox are 2-6 in Sunday home games this season. We've lost the last 3, including one to Baltimore in mid-July.

chisoxfanatic
08-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Did anyone else see that shot of Danks' discolored finger?!?! :o:

He has a ton of guts!

ChiSoxGirl
08-22-2009, 11:32 PM
You really do seem to have drawn the short straw. I have lotsa fun writing them up on Saturday nights. :redneck

And last year, it seemed like all they did was lose on Saturdays! Me thinks this is not a coincidence.

SOXfnNlansing
08-22-2009, 11:34 PM
I love Danks. Clearly he didn't have his best stuff and there very well might have been some issue with is finger, but he gutted it out and got the victory. You can't ask for more than that.

Now hopefully MB can get a win tomorrow.

It reminded me of an old Blackjack victory when he didn't have his stuff working. He' grind out 7-7 1/3 innings and get the win.

The Immigrant
08-22-2009, 11:40 PM
A's Win! A's Win!

SOXfnNlansing
08-23-2009, 12:03 AM
A's Win! A's Win!

back to being down 2 1/2 again! :bandance:

voodoochile
08-23-2009, 12:05 AM
Okay, if anyone needs a definition, that's kind of what they mean by effectively wild.

Not much else to say. Last night has been wiped out. Let's pick up a game tomorrow.

:soxwin:

:)

jabrch
08-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Danks was not good looking,

Looked fine to me. 3H, 1 ER in 6.1 IP. I'll take that every time. And from where I sat, it wasn't like they were going to start hitting him anytime soon.

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 12:21 AM
We have to win tomorrow. We're facing Jason Berken (2-11; 6.72).

hi im skot
08-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Looked fine to me. 3H, 1 ER in 6.1 IP. I'll take that every time. And from where I sat, it wasn't like they were going to start hitting him anytime soon.

Well, yeah, the final line looks good. However, Danks walked 6 total, and (I think) 5 through the first three innings. He battled, though, and ultimately pitched a solid game.

jabrch
08-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Well, yeah, the final line looks good. However, Danks walked 6 total, and (I think) 5 through the first three innings. He battled, though, and ultimately pitched a solid game.

6BB, 3H, 1 ER...I'll take it.

ChiSoxGirl
08-23-2009, 12:31 AM
We have to win tomorrow. We're facing Jason Berken (2-11; 6.72).

I'm writing the game report tomorrow... we'll lose. :mad:

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm writing the game report tomorrow... we'll lose. :mad:
Oh, come on now, Jen! That's HomeFish talk!

GoGoCrede
08-23-2009, 12:38 AM
On a complete whim I decided to go to today's game about 45 minutes before it started, so I had to go solo. What fun! I even got a good seat because I was by myself, and met some cool Sox fans sitting by me. I'd forgotten it was fireworks night, so that was an added bonus. It made it a nice summer night.

Some things from the game:

Someone proposed to their girlfriend on the scoreboard, as usual, but this time I actually saw the guy get down on one knee! It was near my section (110) and it was really neat. Although some wise guys shouted, "Don't do it!" and "Prenup!" The beer vendor saw my California ID and gave me props for being a Sox fan, not a Cubs fan.

Danks manned up. He didn't look sharp early on, but it was amazing to see him get out of the bases-loaded jam. I held my breath there.

Beckham made some amazing plays.

We should have scored more runs, but hey, that's life. Bobby made it a bit interesting in the 9th.

Detroit sucks!

P.S. Missed everyone in chat!!

BoysMom3
08-23-2009, 12:52 AM
On a complete whim I decided to go to today's game about 45 minutes before it started, so I had to go solo. What fun! I even got a good seat because I was by myself, and met some cool Sox fans sitting by me. I'd forgotten it was fireworks night, so that was an added bonus. It made it a nice summer night.

Some things from the game:

Someone proposed to their girlfriend on the scoreboard, as usual, but this time I actually saw the guy get down on one knee! It was near my section (110) and it was really neat. Although some wise guys shouted, "Don't do it!" and "Prenup!" The beer vendor saw my California ID and gave me props for being a Sox fan, not a Cubs fan.

Danks manned up. He didn't look sharp early on, but it was amazing to see him get out of the bases-loaded jam. I held my breath there.

Beckham made some amazing plays.

We should have scored more runs, but hey, that's life. Bobby made it a bit interesting in the 9th.

Detroit sucks!

P.S. Missed everyone in chat!!

CrushinOnCrede and I were talking about how we like you today. :smile: I can't keep up with the game while I'm in chat, but I feel like I'm missing out! What to do?!!!

Yay, Detroit lost! 2.5 games out - let's get a Sox Win tomorrow!!!

ChiSoxGirl
08-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Oh, come on now, Jen! That's HomeFish talk!

To me, it's the truth, not HomeFish talk. I'm just looking at the numbers, that's all....

JB98
08-23-2009, 12:56 AM
To me, it's the truth, not HomeFish talk. I'm just looking at the numbers, that's all....

Your TBGR record is still worse than my attendance record. Hopefully, both will improve tomorrow.

ChiSoxGirl
08-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Your TBGR record is still worse than my attendance record. Hopefully, both will improve tomorrow.

That would be nice! We need a change of luck like you wouldn't believe!

Lip Man 1
08-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Chigirl:

You just need to worry if they've never faced him before!...(have they?)

But I agree losing to a stiff who's 2-11 with an ERA of 6 and a half would be embarrassing.

Lip

JB98
08-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Chigirl:

But I agree losing to a stiff who's 2-11 with an ERA of 6 and a half would be embarrassing.

Lip

Actually, they have faced him before. The Sox beat him 12-8 the first game after the All-Star break.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AkNx7LSX4z._0ega1EHHpSG4u7YF?gid=290 717104

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Chigirl:

Lip
Yes, they have, and they hammered him for 6 runs on 7 hits in 4 1/3 innings on 7/17.

ChiSoxGirl
08-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Actually, they have faced him before. The Sox beat him 12-8 the first game after the All-Star break.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AkNx7LSX4z._0ega1EHHpSG4u7YF?gid=290 717104

Well, let's hope they put up a showing like that against him tomorrow afternoon!

GoGoCrede
08-23-2009, 01:28 AM
CrushinOnCrede and I were talking about how we like you today. :smile: I can't keep up with the game while I'm in chat, but I feel like I'm missing out! What to do?!!!

Yay, Detroit lost! 2.5 games out - let's get a Sox Win tomorrow!!!

I think you're cool too. :hug: And CrushinOnCrede has great taste in Sox players! :D: As for chat, I haven't been using it long at all, but I find that if you check it during commercial, you won't miss as much of the game. Join us, it gets slow in there sometimes!

I was sitting near right field and we all thought JD hurt himself trying to catch a ball. Thank God he is okay. The wise guy who was sitting next to me wants him DFA'd as soon as possible, no joke. He was pretty entertaining in his bitterness about the team.

Edit - I just realized I STILL have not been to a Floyd game this year. I need to fix that.

hawkjt
08-23-2009, 01:31 AM
I agree that Gordon made some really spectacular plays; we were sitting down the third baseline and had a good view. Big Jim and Alexei really laid out some hemp on there doubles. Thome has really hit well this weekend after his layoff. Play him til he cools off,then give him a rest again.
Carlos' homer was one of the most majestic of the year into a wind no less. If Carlos and Thome stay hot, maybe we can do it even with a cool JD and PK. Alexei also needed to pop out of it and he did.

One day at a time, win tommorrow.

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 01:37 AM
I was sitting near right field and we all thought JD hurt himself trying to catch a ball. Thank God he is okay. The wise guy who was sitting next to me wants him DFA'd as soon as possible, no joke. He was pretty entertaining in his bitterness about the team.
You may have been sitting near HomeFish? :dunno:

We should have late-night chat at WSI sometime!

DonnieDarko
08-23-2009, 03:16 AM
Did anyone else see that shot of Danks' discolored finger?!?! :o:

He has a ton of guts!

Where was this? I missed this at work. But damn, it would be nice to know that he's got some sort of medical issue...

October26
08-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Missed most of the game yesterday due to a computer emergency at home. All is well now and hence I am back on WSI! Hooray! And I did catch the last couple of innings of the game last night. I also read the wrap of the game and it sounds like it was a struggle. But hey - a win is a win! I'll take it. Let's win the series today. Go Sox!

Hitmen77
08-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Chigirl:

Lip

I can see today's numbers for him now: 8 IP, 1 ER, 5 H, 3 BB, 6 K.

It's not about facing him before, that just not surprise me with our inconsistent offense.

DickAllen72
08-23-2009, 12:02 PM

Well then, sometimes you just have to tip your hat.....:tongue:

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-23-2009, 12:13 PM
What a blast! My first game of the 2009 season that I've been able to attend. Me and about 20 other friends tailgated begining at 3, watched the game in sec. 164 (and the fireworks!) and then didn't leave the parking lot until very late. Easily the most fun I've had at a game.

I was really worried about Johnny D, but he fought through whatever was ailing him and deservedly got the win. Witnessed my first TCQ homer and Beckham showed us some wonderful defense. I've never been worried about the kid's fielding, I think he is a natural anywhere in the infield. If he can't make it happen with the bat, make it happen with the glove!

Speaking of Beckham, is this anyone on WSI?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2438/3848286379_e4cdb56c12.jpg

kittle42
08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2438/3848286379_e4cdb56c12.jpg

Nice! Dis keeeeed Bacon!

ChiSoxGirl
08-23-2009, 07:31 PM

Misery loves company, my friend. :(:

JB98
08-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Misery loves company, my friend. :(:

After the game today, I told my buddy that this year's season tickets are the single worst investment I've ever made in my life.

I've been selling a lot of tickets, because the Sox play just terrible beyond belief every time I go to the park. It has had a major negative impact on my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of this season.

ChiSoxGirl
08-23-2009, 10:48 PM
After the game today, I told my buddy that this year's season tickets are the single worst investment I've ever made in my life.

I've been selling a lot of tickets, because the Sox play just terrible beyond belief every time I go to the park. It has had a major negative impact on my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of this season.

When is the last time you saw them win in person?

LoveYourSuit
08-23-2009, 11:07 PM

I split my seats this year with 4 guys, and we are all looking at each other like "what the **** are we doing here" :scratch:

Then we say to each other, well Peavy is coming, we are still in it... blah blah blah.

But it's a ton of money to put up on a stumbling crappy product full with a ton of potential.

Hitmen77
08-23-2009, 11:46 PM

It's not about facing him before, that just not surprise me with our inconsistent offense.

Well then, sometimes you just have to tip your hat.....:tongue:

This pathetic offense is all to predictable. :angry:

JB98
08-24-2009, 01:07 PM
When is the last time you saw them win in person?

Aug. 8 vs. Cleveland.

I've seen them win once per month:
April 12
May 9
June 11
July 18
August 8

Those are my five winners. Sox are 1-6 in the seven Sunday home games I've attended. 4-3 on all other days.

tacosalbarojas
08-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Aug. 8 vs. Cleveland.

I've seen them win once per month:
April 12
May 9
June 11
July 18
August 8

Those are my five winners. Sox are 1-6 in the seven Sunday home games I've attended. 4-3 on all other days.
We're pretty bad on Sundays and Fridays...something like 7-14 on both those days. Saturday however has been a slam dunk.