PDA

View Full Version : 500 Level Ticket Limited

MarkZ35
08-22-2009, 02:28 AM
Why are fans with 500 level tickets unable to reach the lower level? I sit in the UD for about 1/2 of the games that I go to and sometimes I feel like your not allowed all the amenities of the park because you didn't spend enough money.

You can't come early with kids and go down to the field for autographs or try to catch a ball in bp. I'm not very interested in autographs but sometimes I do enjoy going to watch bp. You can't see Nancys booth or the statues or the shower. Depending on what section your sitting in the ushers are hounds to check your ticket so it's not like people with UD tickets would be able to sit there.

I have only been to around 10 other parks but I have to yet to go to another park that doesn't allow everyone on the main level. It just bothers me because a game I went to a few weeks ago I saw a father with 2 sons trying to get on the lower level for bp right after the gates opened and they wouldn't let them in because they had UD tickets. I know that UD season tickets can go down but I guess it just doesn't seem fair to other fans that may be less fortunate.

Just wondering if anyone knows the reasons why they do this only at The Cell and not anywhere else that I know of?

dickallen15
08-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Why are fans with 500 level tickets unable to reach the lower level? I sit in the UD for about 1/2 of the games that I go to and sometimes I feel like your not allowed all the amenities of the park because you didn't spend enough money.

You can't come early with kids and go down to the field for autographs or try to catch a ball in bp. I'm not very interested in autographs but sometimes I do enjoy going to watch bp. You can't see Nancys booth or the statues or the shower. Depending on what section your sitting in the ushers are hounds to check your ticket so it's not like people with UD tickets would be able to sit there.

I have only been to around 10 other parks but I have to yet to go to another park that doesn't allow everyone on the main level. It just bothers me because a game I went to a few weeks ago I saw a father with 2 sons trying to get on the lower level for bp right after the gates opened and they wouldn't let them in because they had UD tickets. I know that UD season tickets can go down but I guess it just doesn't seem fair to other fans that may be less fortunate.

Just wondering if anyone knows the reasons why they do this only at The Cell and not anywhere else that I know of?

They do it at a lot of places, every park I've been to, and I've been to a lot, checks your ticket. It also applies to other purchases and rentals people make in life. If you don't spend the money on a car for certain features, you don't get the certain features. If you don't spend extra money for a extra bedroom whether you rent or own, you don't get an extra bedrooom. If you want the lower deck amenities, buy one less beer and purchase a lower deck ticket. I'd like to spend every game in the Jim Beam Club and most nights they seem to have open seats. I really like their amenities, shouldn't they just let me in? Why should people who don't pay for certain things, get the same experience as people who do pay for things? Complaining about the Sox policy doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You want the lower deck amenties, ie the concession stands. Not to be harsh, but if you don't have enough money to buy a lower deck ticket, maybe you should hold off on spending a lot of money on concessions at a ballgame. If they let everyone down, the lower deck would be a zoo many games, especially in the OF concourse. People who bought tickets to sit there would have to spend a few innings in line at the bathroom, then when they got back to their seat, would have to spend several minutes ejecting someone from it. Why should the people who pay up suffer?

Standing Ovation
08-22-2009, 06:59 AM
They do it at a lot of places, every park I've been to, and I've been to a lot, checks your ticket. It also applies to other purchases and rentals people make in life. If you don't spend the money on a car for certain features, you don't get the certain features. If you don't spend extra money for a extra bedroom whether you rent or own, you don't get an extra bedrooom. If you want the lower deck amenities, buy one less beer and purchase a lower deck ticket. I'd like to spend every game in the Jim Beam Club and most nights they seem to have open seats. I really like their amenities, shouldn't they just let me in? Why should people who don't pay for certain things, get the same experience as people who do pay for things? Complaining about the Sox policy doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You want the lower deck amenties, ie the concession stands. Not to be harsh, but if you don't have enough money to buy a lower deck ticket, maybe you should hold off on spending a lot of money on concessions at a ballgame. If they let everyone down, the lower deck would be a zoo many games, especially in the OF concourse. People who bought tickets to sit there would have to spend a few innings in line at the bathroom, then when they got back to their seat, would have to spend several minutes ejecting someone from it. Why should the people who pay up suffer?

Dude, relax. I don't think he was looking to be lectured. All you had to say was it was getting dangerously crowded in the outfield concourse, hence the reason for the policy.

Parrothead
08-22-2009, 08:24 AM
the reason is the jack asses who ran on to the field and attacked the coach. Other stadiums (I have been to 20 of current ones) dont have this policy. The sox should make players available in the UD just for the reason you mention.

Stoky44
08-22-2009, 09:20 AM
I hate this damn policy. The main reason the sox do it is because they are too cheap to have ushers at every aisle to the lower seating bowl. They will tell you its because they don't want the lower deck over crowded. However, when the stadium had more people in it( the upper deck was bigger) people were allowed to go downstairs. If they are concerned that too many people would be just hanging around at the concourse, they could simply have ushers move away the large groups.

And I have been to many parks across the country (+15) and it is completely wrong to say "every stadium" does this. In fact the only place I have been to that has the same policy as the Sox is Dodger stadium. If there is ticket checking at other places its at the aisles, not limiting them to a certain level of the park.

Also if they are so concerned about over crowding the outfield concourse. I think the should limit access to it. For those who say you get what you pay for; well maybe they should say if you have a cheaper outfield ticket, they should not let you in between the baselines. There is a souvenir stand in center, and plenty of food. If you want to go behind the plate or any of the other parts of the lower deck you should spend more money.

cbone
08-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Your exact situation stinks. You have kids that want to see bp and can't. The big problem was it was way too easy for ud ticket holders to sit where they wanted and play the "Let's sit here till someone shows up and then we'll move" game. I wish there was a better compromise.

Trav
08-22-2009, 09:52 AM
It is bad policy, especially when most other parks allow it. It hurts the Sox fans as well as out of towners who want to see the park for the first time.

russ99
08-22-2009, 09:56 AM
the reason is the jack asses who ran on to the field and attacked the coach. Other stadiums (I have been to 20 of current ones) dont have this policy. The sox should make players available in the UD just for the reason you mention.

That's the excuse.

IMO, that stinks, especially since when as a kid I was free to wander the old park. But I agree that The Cell wasn't built like old Comiskey, with lots of room to accomodate people from one level going to another.

I can't deny that since the fanbase in general complained about the situation, the Sox have done a great job making the 500 level a lot closer in amenities to the 100 level.

I'd like to see them loosen up those restrictions a bit. You should definately sit in your ticketed seat, but maybe after alcohol sales cut off, they could let the UD people wander a bit.

Hitmen77
08-22-2009, 09:59 AM
At least up until last year, if you bought UD tickets through Stub Hub, you could still get to the lower deck because the tickets were from UD season ticket holders (who are allowed LD access).

Now that they have switched to electronic ticketing for Stub Hub sales and you get just a computer printout ticket instead of the original season ticket holder ticket, I don't know if those stubhub purchases still work for lower deck access.

ewokpelts
08-22-2009, 10:37 AM
the reason is the jack asses who ran on to the field and attacked the coach. Other stadiums (I have been to 20 of current ones) dont have this policy. The sox should make players available in the UD just for the reason you mention.they allow kids and parents downstairs for kids day

btw, the 2002 UD policy was only for big games, like opening day, cubs, ect....

ewokpelts
08-22-2009, 10:38 AM
That's the excuse.

IMO, that stinks, especially since when as a kid I was free to wander the old park. But I agree that The Cell wasn't built like old Comiskey, with lots of room to accomodate people from one level going to another.

I can't deny that since the fanbase in general complained about the situation, the Sox have done a great job making the 500 level a lot closer in amenities to the 100 level.

I'd like to see them loosen up those restrictions a bit. You should definately sit in your ticketed seat, but maybe after alcohol sales cut off, they could let the UD people wander a bit.they would need to hire more ushers and secuirty, but they dont feel the need to spend the extra cash.

ewokpelts
08-22-2009, 10:39 AM
BTW, at wrigley, they actually have the REVERSE.

You need an upper deck ticket to go upstairs at wrigley. no upper access with lower deck ticket.

Dibbs
08-22-2009, 10:41 AM

I have been to 30 stadiums in my life, and many places do have a policy to not allow access to the lower level. Some stadiums allow it and others don't. I see nothing wrong with not allowing access. I wish people would just sit in the seat they paid for.

fox23
08-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I have been to 30 stadiums in my life, and many places do have a policy to not allow access to the lower level. Some stadiums allow it and others don't. I see nothing wrong with not allowing access. I wish people would just sit in the seat they paid for.

I've never actually been to another stadium that does not allow access, other than the Urinal where they don't let you UPSTAIRS without an upstairs ticket (crazy). Of course I've really only been to parks in the midwest and Baltimore/Washington. What other places do this? I'd like to know for future reference when I'm out at other parks. Thanks in advance!

dickallen15
08-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I hate this damn policy. The main reason the sox do it is because they are too cheap to have ushers at every aisle to the lower seating bowl. They will tell you its because they don't want the lower deck over crowded. However, when the stadium had more people in it( the upper deck was bigger) people were allowed to go downstairs. If they are concerned that too many people would be just hanging around at the concourse, they could simply have ushers move away the large groups.

And I have been to many parks across the country (+15) and it is completely wrong to say "every stadium" does this. In fact the only place I have been to that has the same policy as the Sox is Dodger stadium. If there is ticket checking at other places its at the aisles, not limiting them to a certain level of the park.

Also if they are so concerned about over crowding the outfield concourse. I think the should limit access to it. For those who say you get what you pay for; well maybe they should say if you have a cheaper outfield ticket, they should not let you in between the baselines. There is a souvenir stand in center, and plenty of food. If you want to go behind the plate or any of the other parts of the lower deck you should spend more money.

Or they can say if its so important for you to see the lower deck, that ticket will be $15 more. I don't understand why its bad policy not to give someone something for free that thousands are paying for.

MarkZ35
08-22-2009, 12:08 PM
I wasn't talking about even sitting down there for the game but simply going down there to check stuff out before the game. Great Amer. Ballpark, Miller Park, Jacobs Field, Comerica, Kauffman, Old Busch, Old Comiskey all allow you down on the concourse that I know of. Why is it only a problem at the Cell and not most of the other stadiums?

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2009, 12:27 PM
The excuse that UD fans are the only ones who would run on the field is asnine. I can count a few hundred drunken bastards who sit in the lower bowl every night who are top candidates to one day jump on the field. Besides, field security is very strong these days since those past incidents.

It's basically a policy to punish you for paying for cheaper seats. That's all. Also, they are pampering to the whiny white collar folks of the lower bowl who are the ones who have bitched up a storm in the past about people from other levels not belonging there. I had one ass clown telling me I didint belong down there and I had Club Level Seats :rolleyes: My face value was $42 for that game and his was about $36.

thomas35forever
08-22-2009, 02:15 PM
What sucks about this is truly the fact that your not allowed to see the field up close before the game before retreating to your UD seats. What I hate most about this is that since I go to almost all games with my dad, he'll only pay for the cheapest seat. As a result, I've only sat in the lower deck three times since 2003 and in two of those instances, the tickets were already given to us and I went with a friend. It's not a situation I like to find myself in.

Here's a solution: there was a Bulls game in the early part of this decade in which fewer fans were present because of a blizzard, so they allowed fans from the upper levels to come down and sit in the 100 level. What the Sox should do is allow fans to roam the park freely if the 100 level and outfield concourse are not filled to a certain capacity by the halfway point of the game. Of course, that would be a judgment call for security depending on the drunkenness and rowdiness of fans.

Someone mentioned allowing it after beer sales get cut off. I remember in 2005, my dad and I were allowed inside the old Busch Stadium after the seventh inning of a game because we were standing outside the gates without a ticket. I think they did the same thing with Red Sox fans when their team was about the clinch the WS in '04. This idea should be considered for after the seventh inning at Comiskey at least.

soxfanreggie
08-22-2009, 02:15 PM
I don't know if someone from the upper deck sat in your seat or something, but you seem really bitter about this. The guy was just bringing up a point. He wasn't even talking about going down there during the game; he was talking about BEFORE the game. Take a chill pill.

chisoxfanatic
08-22-2009, 02:45 PM
It is bad policy, especially when most other parks allow it. It hurts the Sox fans as well as out of towners who want to see the park for the first time.
If you want to see the entire park, then just buy a lower deck ticket! It's not that hard! And it's not like the LD ever sells out except for the marquee matchups.
BTW, at wrigley, they actually have the REVERSE.

You need an upper deck ticket to go upstairs at wrigley. no upper access with lower deck ticket.
They're probably worried about having too much weight up there and more concrete falling.
I wasn't talking about even sitting down there for the game but simply going down there to check stuff out before the game. Great Amer. Ballpark, Miller Park, Jacobs Field, Comerica, Kauffman, Old Busch, Old Comiskey all allow you down on the concourse that I know of. Why is it only a problem at the Cell and not most of the other stadiums?
And how do you propose they get those people back up to the UD by the start of the game? A bunch of people wouldn't go back to their actual seat in the UD after being in the LD. It's much easier to not allow UD ticket holders downstairs at all than to have a policy where they can stay down in the LD until the game starts. How on earth are they supposed to clear every single UD ticket holder from the LD???

MarkZ35
08-22-2009, 05:33 PM
And how do you propose they get those people back up to the UD by the start of the game? A bunch of people wouldn't go back to their actual seat in the UD after being in the LD. It's much easier to not allow UD ticket holders downstairs at all than to have a policy where they can stay down in the LD until the game starts. How on earth are they supposed to clear every single UD ticket holder from the LD???
I'm not sure if it at every section but normally the ushers are hounds to check your ticket in the LD which I understand they are doing their job. I'm not necessarily saying it is a bad idea to not let people down but why is it not a problem at any other stadiums but at US Cell? They allowed it a few years back and I highly doubt that the people that ran onto the field were UD tickets.

UChicagoHP
08-22-2009, 05:37 PM
It's stupid policy and it will change...

chisoxfanatic
08-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure if it at every section but normally the ushers are hounds to check your ticket in the LD which I understand they are doing their job. I'm not necessarily saying it is a bad idea to not let people down but why is it not a problem at any other stadiums but at US Cell? They allowed it a few years back and I highly doubt that the people that ran onto the field were UD tickets.
Even if they aren't in the seating area, they still can clog up the concourse. Trust me, that concourse sometimes seems overcrowded for the number of fans at some games.

soxfanreggie
08-22-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't think there is a feasible way to prevent UD ticket holders from staying in the LD, but you have to weigh if that ticks off enough fans where they don't want to come to the game if they want the chance to go down to the lower area as part of the ball game experience. If enough fans stop coming to games for that reason, they'll be forced to evaluate the policy or give up the revenue. If they don't see a decline in revenue from this policy, then they won't change it. To the Sox, it will ultimately be a business decision.

Jerko
08-22-2009, 06:42 PM
I agree the "running on the field" excuse the Sox gave for implementing this policy was BS, BUT, I also agree the policy was sorely needed. I sat in the outfield before this went into effect, and it was completely and utterly unenjoyable to be at a Sox game some of those nights, especially Saturdays, and I can drink and swear with the best of them. As for other stadiums, a LOT of them don't have a wide open outfield concourse like the Cell does, which means there is less area for people to turn the place into a zoo. Do a google image search on some parks mentioned in this thread and you can see there is nowhere for people to stand around at a lot of these places. That's why it's not a problem at some other parks, when the game starts, you kinda HAVE to go back to your seats. Hell you can't even walk from left field to right field at some parks. As for ushers, they only check tickets when people are going down to the seats. They don't check everybody standing around to make sure they have 100 level stubs. That would be obnoxious. I admit, I stand all the time but my season tickets are 100 level. I dont get to check out or sit in the scout seats, club level, or jim beam area with my section 159 ticket. Prices are different for a reason. And yes the more people spend, the better the team treats them. I can bet it's like that everywhere. I can't believe all these other parks that people are talking about in this thread just let anyone sit where they want.

Jerko
08-22-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't think there is a feasible way to prevent UD ticket holders from staying in the LD, but you have to weigh if that ticks off enough fans where they don't want to come to the game if they want the chance to go down to the lower area as part of the ball game experience. If enough fans stop coming to games for that reason, they'll be forced to evaluate the policy or give up the revenue. If they don't see a decline in revenue from this policy, then they won't change it. To the Sox, it will ultimately be a business decision.

Yes, but if they get rid of the policy, they'd lose some ST holders who LIKE the policy (like me). Going to the lower bowl would not be a plus anymore if there's thousands of people clogging it up. ST holders from the UD can go to the lower level. This really just affects the walk ups (which is why they tied it to the idiots running onto the field).

chisoxfanatic
08-22-2009, 07:04 PM
I can't believe all these other parks that people are talking about in this thread just let anyone sit where they want.
People can sit anywhere they want. All they need to do is buy a ticket for that location!

soxfanreggie
08-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Is it long lines at the bathroom or lines at the concession stand? I guess I just don't leave my seat more than once a game, if that.

Harry Potter
08-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I know I'm in the minority but I actually like this restricted access policy. And to take it one step further, as a full season ticket holder in LF, I like the policy on a select games (usually the Cubs series) where access to the OF concourse was restricted to those with tickets in the OF.

I agree the policy stinks for out of town travelers who are visiting USCF for the first time but when I visit a new stadium for the first (and often only) time, I'm open to spending a few more dollars for a better seat

SOXfnNlansing
08-22-2009, 10:51 PM
For those fans who are taking kids and want to save the few extra bucks on the UD, you can enter the gate 2 entrance to the stadium club. Take the elevator up to 100 level and walk right out to the concourse. When you're done with your pregame activities, walk up the ramp to the 500 level. It's that simple.

MarkZ35
08-22-2009, 10:55 PM
For those fans who are taking kids and want to save the few extra bucks on the UD, you can enter the gate 2 entrance to the stadium club. Take the elevator up to 100 level and walk right out to the concourse. When you're done with your pregame activities, walk up the ramp to the 500 level. It's that simple.
Ha ha. You got it down to a system.

DumpJerry
08-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Take up your concerns with the Fire Marshall. They set the capacity for the lower bowl. I have a picture of the certificate, but on a different computer. I'll try to find it and will post it if I find it.

You want access to the lower bowl? Buy a ticket for it or buy a UD season ticket from someone.

soxfan21
08-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Yes, but if they get rid of the policy, they'd lose some ST holders who LIKE the policy (like me). Going to the lower bowl would not be a plus anymore if there's thousands of people clogging it up. ST holders from the UD can go to the lower level. This really just affects the walk ups (which is why they tied it to the idiots running onto the field).

I totally agree with you on the points you have made in this thread. As a fellow 159 STH, things always were crowded in the outfield before this policy was instituted, and sometimes if you left you seat during the game, you would come back and see some drunks sitting there and it would be a pain to get them to move. I know this still happens now sometimes as well, but it just seemed like it was more prevelant in the past, and that was one of my biggest pet peaves.

Hitmen77
08-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Take up your concerns with the Fire Marshall. They set the capacity for the lower bowl. I have a picture of the certificate, but on a different computer. I'll try to find it and will post it if I find it.

You want access to the lower bowl? Buy a ticket for it or buy a UD season ticket from someone.

I don't know if this works via StubHub anymore since you get just an electronic ticket and not an actual season ticket stub.

Sometimes I get seats in the UD (near home plate) not because I'm cheap but simply because I think they are better seats with a better view of the game that the seats in the outfield or even LD down the line.

Instead of letting UD people crowd the lower bowl, perhaps the Sox should address this complaint by putting at least one better concession upstairs. Downstairs has the variety and upstairs is basically only hot dogs, burgers, and pizza.

LongLiveFisk
08-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Instead of letting UD people crowd the lower bowl, perhaps the Sox should address this complaint by putting at least one better concession upstairs. Downstairs has the variety and upstairs is basically only hot dogs, burgers, and pizza.

And maybe a gift shop? It's been a while since I've been up there but last I recall, there weren't any in the UD.

Stoky44
08-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Well, I have actually purchased tickets off stub hub before for a lower deck seat. I have saved this ticket on my computer.

I too think that upper deck seats behind the plate are a way better seat than most outfield seats. The first 5 rows of the upper deck behind the plate are probably better than 40% of the seats in the lower deck. Which is why I will sit in the UD, its a better seat and views.

Mod edit: We don't publicize ways to possibly circumvent White Sox policies.

kittle42
08-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Mod edit

Mod edit.

It's Dankerific
08-23-2009, 11:23 AM

Seems like all the other ballparks I've been to have been able to address this concern without a strict policy against comingling.

MarkZ35
08-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Seems like all the other ballparks I've been to have been able to address this concern without a strict policy against comingling.
That's what I've been trying to say. If US Cell is confined by some rules, then that's fine but every other stadium has no problem with this. Either it is an easy way to make more money because people have to buy LD tickets or else they planned the stadium horribly.

It's Dankerific
08-23-2009, 11:36 AM
That's what I've been trying to say. If US Cell is confined by some rules, then that's fine but every other stadium has no problem with this. Either it is an easy way to make more money because people have to buy LD tickets or else they planned the stadium horribly.

Its just my opinion, but I think they did it just to give the UD ST holders a "perk" that costs $0.

Cuck the Fubs
08-23-2009, 11:41 AM

I'm with you 100% wanna sit down there, buy a damn ticket! :angry:

TDog
08-23-2009, 12:07 PM
I sat in the centerfield bleachers in the old park in 1972. You paid $1 to get in (I think the most expensive seat in the park was $4.50), and you didn't have access to any other section of the park. They had the rest of the park fenced off. You didn't even get a ticket stub, just a paper coupon saying you paid to get in.

Lip might remember this. I'm sure we were both in the bleachers for one or two of the the same Wednesday afternoon games.

It's Dankerific
08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
I sat in the centerfield bleachers in the old park in 1972. You paid $1 to get in (I think the most expensive seat in the park was $4.50), and you didn't have access to any other section of the park. They had the rest of the park fenced off. You didn't even get a ticket stub, just a paper coupon saying you paid to get in.

Lip might remember this. I'm sure we were both in the bleachers for one or two of the the same Wednesday afternoon games.

Fun fact: at other stadiums they give you a ticket where it lists both the section, row and EXACT seat you must sit in, for the ENTIRETY of the game.

Not cool.. Not cool. Be happy its situated as it is, my friends.

dickallen15
08-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Maybe what the Sox should do is take the sections in the OF corners, one on each side, and make them both general admission in the lower deck. Maybe make it a $20-25 seat, not on any season ticket plan. First come first serve. Those seats are the last ones to be sold anyway, drop the price, don't make them reserved and quiet some of the whiners who think they should be entitled to things they don't pay for.

dickallen15
08-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Fun fact: at other stadiums they give you a ticket where it lists both the section, row and EXACT seat you must sit in, for the ENTIRETY of the game.

Not cool.. Not cool. Be happy its situated as it is, my friends.

I know. I flew to London a few weeks ago and they made me sit in this tiny seat near the back of the plane. I was one of the last in and there were a few huge seats open in front where the beer flows like wine and beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano, nobody was using. American Airlines wouldn't let me sit there. Total BS. They are going to find out they will lose customers if they keep this policy intact.

TDog
08-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I know. I flew to London a few weeks ago and they made me sit in this tiny seat near the back of the plane. I was one of the last in and there were a few huge seats open in front where the beer flows like wine and beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano, nobody was using. American Airlines wouldn't let me sit there. Total BS. They are going to find out they will lose customers if they keep this policy intact.

Teal would have been redundant there. Kudos for going without it.

By the way, if you go to see a movie in London, they assign your seat at the box office. It's like that in all the movie houses I've been to in Norway as well.

Stoky44
08-23-2009, 01:00 PM

I do not think anyone here was talking about using a 500 level seat to actually sit in the lower bowl. I think the sox should have more ushers at every aisle to prevent this. However, to say 500 ticket holders can't use the fan deck, watch bp/catch hr balls during bp, get autographs before the game, buy food, visit the souvenir shop, etc. is the argument.

Attitudes such as I payed for lower deck seats and no body should be allowed to walk the same concourse, eat the same food, etc is now a main reason I am going to try to flood the park with printed tickets to allow access to the LD. It will be my mission every time I go to the game to make it more crowded in the LD with complete strangers who payed at least $15 less.

dickallen15
08-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Teal would have been redundant there. Kudos for going without it.

By the way, if you go to see a movie in London, they assign your seat at the box office. It's like that in all the movie houses I've been to in Norway as well.

I was in Paris and went to a movie once. They stop the movie exactly halfway through so people can go to the bathroom or get something to eat or drink, and it isn't always at the end of a scene. Wherever the film is halfway through, thats when the projector gets turned off.

dickallen15
08-23-2009, 01:05 PM
I do not think anyone here was talking about using a 500 level seat to actually sit in the lower bowl. I think the sox should have more ushers at every aisle to prevent this. However, to say 500 ticket holders can't use the fan deck, watch bp/catch hr balls during bp, get autographs before the game, buy food, visit the souvenir shop, etc. is the argument.

They have souvenir shops in the upper level. They also serve food up there. You can watch BP from your seat. If you have a decent seat in the lower level on a crowded night and step away for a little while, I doubt you would think nobody is looking for a free seat upgrade. I used to do it when I was younger, but it is a pain for the people who bought seats, and with the Sox unique stadium layout with the concourse in CF and a lot of areas to watch the game while standing all around the lower bowl, if it gets too crowded, it ruins the experience for the people who did pay. Making their trips to the bathroom longer, concession stand trips longer and so on.

Stoky44
08-23-2009, 01:12 PM
They have souvenir shops in the upper level. They also serve food up there. You can watch BP from your seat. If you have a decent seat in the lower level on a crowded night and step away for a little while, I doubt you would think nobody is looking for a free seat upgrade. I used to do it when I was younger, but it is a pain for the people who bought seats, and with the Sox unique stadium layout with the concourse in CF and a lot of areas to watch the game while standing all around the lower bowl, if it gets too crowded, it ruins the experience for the people who did pay. Making their trips to the bathroom longer, concession stand trips longer and so on.

What about the fan deck? Why can't UD ticket holders sit there.
Souvenir shop is not the same its smaller, fewer food options, can't get autographs, or get a ball during BP. People sneaking into your seats is a problem with ushers, and to say then only UD will sneak into your seats is crazy. Many people with bad LD seats will try to move closer.

Also it sounds like people are complaining that the OF concourse is whats going to get crowded, not any other part of the LD (Since every other team has a LD concourse and the vast majority do not limit access). So limit access to the concourse or do not let a crowd build up in the concourse (have ushers telling people they can't stand there).

ewokpelts
08-23-2009, 02:09 PM
For those fans who are taking kids and want to save the few extra bucks on the UD, you can enter the gate 2 entrance to the stadium club. Take the elevator up to 100 level and walk right out to the concourse. When you're done with your pregame activities, walk up the ramp to the 500 level. It's that simple.need a stadium club pass for that

StillMissOzzie
08-23-2009, 02:35 PM

LOL - it's the swallows that return to Capistrano, not the salmon!

Back to your UD / LD debate.

SMO
:lol:

dickallen15
08-23-2009, 05:54 PM
What about the fan deck? Why can't UD ticket holders sit there.
Souvenir shop is not the same its smaller, fewer food options, can't get autographs, or get a ball during BP. People sneaking into your seats is a problem with ushers, and to say then only UD will sneak into your seats is crazy. Many people with bad LD seats will try to move closer.

Also it sounds like people are complaining that the OF concourse is whats going to get crowded, not any other part of the LD (Since every other team has a LD concourse and the vast majority do not limit access). So limit access to the concourse or do not let a crowd build up in the concourse (have ushers telling people they can't stand there).

A lot of the time the fan deck is for private parties, so unless you're with that group, you can't sit there no matter what ticket you possess. If food options are a problem how about just buying yourself a couple of hot dogs at the neighborhood hot dog stand and spending the savings on a lower deck ticket? Sorry, I don't understand why paying less for something should entitle you to the same thing as people paying more. Its funny the whole argument for lower deck access is for access to places to spend more money , but the reason for the upper deck ticket vs. just paying for a lower deck ticket seems to be a lack of funds. It really is silly.

dickallen15
08-23-2009, 05:55 PM
LOL - it's the swallows that return to Capistrano, not the salmon!

Back to your UD / LD debate.

SMO
:lol:

Its a Lloyd Christmas quote from Dumb and Dumber.

Standing Ovation
08-23-2009, 08:38 PM
A lot of the time the fan deck is for private parties, so unless you're with that group, you can't sit there no matter what ticket you possess. If food options are a problem how about just buying yourself a couple of hot dogs at the neighborhood hot dog stand and spending the savings on a lower deck ticket? Sorry, I don't understand why paying less for something should entitle you to the same thing as people paying more. Its funny the whole argument for lower deck access is for access to places to spend more money , but the reason for the upper deck ticket vs. just paying for a lower deck ticket seems to be a lack of funds. It really is silly.

Your reasoning sucks. How bout they just go to Jewel, pick up some dogs, grill them at home and watch the game? Since you're such the Suzie Orman, I'm surprised you don't suggest they drop cable and only watch the games they can pick up on standard TV, all for the sake of "saving enough money to sit downstairs".

But, since you "don't understand why paying less for something should entitle you to the same thing as people paying more", why stop at upper deck/lower deck? All of the lower deck seats aren't the same price. There are 4 different price breaks. Lets keep everyone out of the home plate gift shop if they don't have "premium lower box" tix. Want to see the shower in left field? Only if you have lower reserves. Lets go see the statues! Nope, we need bleachers to see those.

Lame.

russ99
08-23-2009, 09:25 PM
You really need to go back to the UD before dissing the food options there. There's been dramatic additions to the fare the last few years. Unless you want some exotic food, you're OK with the choices in the UD. It's not only pizza, dogs and burgers anymore.

My only gripe is that it seems those stands close earlier than the ones in the Lower Deck.

Again, I wish they'd loosen the restrictions at some point late in the game, since some fans are missing the whole experience.

When I was 13, I spend most of the summer at Old Comiskey. I'd get a $2.00 general admission ticket, and roam all over the park.

It's a shame that kids today can't do that, even a little bit...

doublem23
08-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Your reasoning sucks. How bout they just go to Jewel, pick up some dogs, grill them at home and watch the game? Since you're such the Suzie Orman, I'm surprised you don't suggest they drop cable and only watch the games they can pick up on standard TV, all for the sake of "saving enough money to sit downstairs".

If you don't like it, stop going to the park. Maybe if enough people stayed away, they'd change their policy, but even in this down economy, the Sox are pushing 30,000 fans per game, so obviously it's not a big deal to people.

Fork over the extra cash or just deal with it.

:violin:

Standing Ovation
08-23-2009, 10:03 PM
If you don't like it, stop going to the park. Maybe if enough people stayed away, they'd change their policy, but even in this down economy, the Sox are pushing 30,000 fans per game, so obviously it's not a big deal to people.

Fork over the extra cash or just deal with it.

:violin:

Who said I was talking about me? I sat in the Club Level section today (and most times with my family), because my wife likes the concourse/wait staff with our small kids. I'll only sit in the UD if I'm with some buddies and we don't really give a ****. Thanks for your concern though.

I just think the argument "fork over the extra cash" is a weak excuse to not let everyone enjoy most aspects of the park.

dickallen15
08-23-2009, 11:43 PM

But, since you "don't understand why paying less for something should entitle you to the same thing as people paying more", why stop at upper deck/lower deck? All of the lower deck seats aren't the same price. There are 4 different price breaks. Lets keep everyone out of the home plate gift shop if they don't have "premium lower box" tix. Want to see the shower in left field? Only if you have lower reserves. Lets go see the statues! Nope, we need bleachers to see those.

Lame.

Lame because I think you have to pay for what you get? How come no one is complaining they don't have access to the club level with lower level or upper level tickets? The concourses there are nicer than any concourse on the lower level especially in extreme heat or cold. The lower deck is designed to accomodate the amount of people sitting in the lower deck, not plus a few thousand cheapskates who say they can't afford the difference between an upper deck ticket and lower deck ticket but buy 12 $7 beers. People make it seem like its about a $100 difference in price. Its not, and you need lower deck access for the shower? The fan deck (which isn't even open some games) other concessions? If that's what you need, shell out the money then pop off. Don't make it less enjoyable for those who do pay the money.

dickallen15
08-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Who said I was talking about me? I sat in the Club Level section today (and most times with my family), because my wife likes the concourse/wait staff with our small kids. I'll only sit in the UD if I'm with some buddies and we don't really give a ****. Thanks for your concern though.

I just think the argument "fork over the extra cash" is a weak excuse to not let everyone enjoy most aspects of the park.

So you would have no problem sitting in the club level and allowing a few thousand extra people on that concourse? Levy food, they offer things that aren't offered in the upper deck or the lower deck. Air conditioning in the summer, heat in the spring and fall. Everyone should be entitled, right? Take your kids to the bathroom and come back and there are a few drunken people sitting in your seats asking YOU to prove that they are your seats. Or is that where you draw the line on letting every enjoy most aspects of the park?

Stoky44
08-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Lame because I think you have to pay for what you get? How come no one is complaining they don't have access to the club level with lower level or upper level tickets? The concourses there are nicer than any concourse on the lower level especially in extreme heat or cold. The lower deck is designed to accomodate the amount of people sitting in the lower deck, not plus a few thousand cheapskates who say they can't afford the difference between an upper deck ticket and lower deck ticket but buy 12 $7 beers. People make it seem like its about a $100 difference in price. Its not, and you need lower deck access for the shower? The fan deck (which isn't even open some games) other concessions? If that's what you need, shell out the money then pop off. Don't make it less enjoyable for those who do pay the money.

Your arguments are completely ignorant. I love the entitlement you think you deserve for the extra ~$15 you spend. To say people are going to UD and then buying 12 beers is just plain dumb. Cheap skates? How dare you. I garuntee there are plenty of people in this board that could call you cheap and make a lot more money than you.

You still refuse to comment on the fractioning and restricting the lower deck for those who pay different amounts. Wonder why?

And thanks for making an argument for my side. People are not complaining about getting into the club level or the Jim Beam club. People are not trying to get to those areas just to steal a seat. People want to go to the LD to see things that are supposed to be public ie statues or get autographs.

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Your arguments are completely ignorant. I love the entitlement you think you deserve for the extra ~$15 you spend. To say people are going to UD and then buying 12 beers is just plain dumb. Cheap skates? How dare you. I garuntee there are plenty of people in this board that could call you cheap and make a lot more money than you.

You still refuse to comment on the fractioning and restricting the lower deck for those who pay different amounts. Wonder why?

And thanks for making an argument for my side. People are not complaining about getting into the club level or the Jim Beam club. People are not trying to get to those areas just to steal a seat. People want to go to the LD to see things that are supposed to be public ie statues or get autographs.

Why shouldn't they complain about the Jim Beam club or the club level. Its the same premise. There are some people who pay more for for certain lower deck tickets than some club level seats and their tickets will not let them in the club level. What if they wanted a 2 foot long chili dog? Its OK that the club level ammenities are exclusive to those who pay for them, but not the lower deck? You make zero sense.And 99% of the UD people going to the lower deck will spend the game there in a seat or on the concourse, if allowed. As for your stupid fractioning of the lower deck, that would make no sense. It would be impossible to enforce and make it worse for everyone as the stadium's flow would be disrupted. And I stand by my statement. If you aren't willing to pay for a lower deck seat, but still feel entitled to all the lower deck amenities, you are cheap, especially if your guarantee is true and you make more money than me. The autograph thing is laughable to, because the majority of non kids getting autographs are getting them to sell them. Cheap. If the statues are that important, drink a couple of beers less one game and buy a ticket to the lower deck, or go on half priced night and check them out. They really don't change much. Looking at them 1000 times probably won't do anything for you.

bifmccreary
08-24-2009, 09:16 AM
I sat in a club level seat on June 2 this year (Beckham's first game!) and after wandering the concourse up there, I wanted to go to the 100 level's gift shop as it is much larger.

They told me only 100 level ticket holders are allowed down there, but that if I really wanted to go down there, I should come back around the 8th inning and they MAY let me. I thought that was strange after hearing all of the talk about lower priced upper deck tickets, etc.

TomBradley72
08-24-2009, 09:31 AM

Very good point...I attended a charity golf outing in Iowa this weekend...a few guys in my foursome had road tripped to attend a game to check out the park....they were very frustrated that they couldn't check out the 100 level, statues, etc.

29 other ballparks have found a way to handle this challenge...not us.

TomBradley72
08-24-2009, 09:37 AM

Why is it that 96.6% of all ballparks in the major leagues have found a way to handle this problem and we have not found a better solution?

I swear, sometimes we completely lose the ability to compare our park to our peers. I've had the chance to visit 21 of the MLB parks...in every case if I'm not really interested in the game, but I'm mainly just checking out the park, I've been able to buy the cheapest ticket available, and still wander the entire ballpark, etc.

kittle42
08-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Why is it that 96.6% of all ballparks in the major leagues have found a way to handle this problem and we have not found a better solution?

I swear, sometimes we completely lose the ability to compare our park to our peers. I've had the chance to visit 21 of the MLB parks...in every case if I'm not really interested in the game, but I'm mainly just checking out the park, I've been able to buy the cheapest ticket available, and still wander the entire ballpark, etc.

I can see the "you get what you pay for" argument, especially since I haven't sat in the UD for 5-6 seasons.

However, Tom and others are right...why is it that many, many other stadiums allow you to walk wherever the hell you want? I bought $18 SRO tix in Milwaukee and had a great time wandering the park. Had cheapies in Anaheim and did the same. Same at Busch. Same at Safeco. There is nothing special about The Cell itself that justifies the Sox' enforcement of this rule.

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 10:02 AM

I think it is mostly due to a unique meeting place that is very popular in the OF concourse. There are a lot more people that would rather stand in the OF concourse than sit in the first row behind the plate in the upper deck. Not a lot of stadiums have that. During big games, even with the policy it gets ridiculously crowded.

mrfourni
08-24-2009, 10:39 AM
I can see the "you get what you pay for" argument, especially since I haven't sat in the UD for 5-6 seasons.

However, Tom and others are right...why is it that many, many other stadiums allow you to walk wherever the hell you want? I bought $18 SRO tix in Milwaukee and had a great time wandering the park. Had cheapies in Anaheim and did the same. Same at Busch. Same at Safeco. There is nothing special about The Cell itself that justifies the Sox' enforcement of this rule.

What was so special about Yankee Stadium that they had to cut off alcohol sales to the bleachers? What is so special about The Cell and Wrigley that Beer sales are cut off early, while some ballparks serve until the 8th or 9th innings? Each ballpark has unique security issues.

It seems that the policy went into effect after the White Sox were having security concerns regarding people running onto the field and attacking coaches/umps. It also seems they made a correlation between who was running out on the field and the actual location of their tickets. They implemented a policy which they thought would help mitigate some of their problems. Since that time, fewer people have run out onto the field and even fewer (none) have attacked an ump/coach/player.

It sucks that a few people have ruined it for the majority of people in the upper deck, but I don't see the policy changing anytime soon. Add to the fact that there are probably season ticket holders who actually like the policy (myself included), and I really don't think the policy will ever change.

kittle42
08-24-2009, 11:02 AM
What was so special about Yankee Stadium that they had to cut off alcohol sales to the bleachers? What is so special about The Cell and Wrigley that Beer sales are cut off early, while some ballparks serve until the 8th or 9th innings? Each ballpark has unique security issues.

It seems that the policy went into effect after the White Sox were having security concerns regarding people running onto the field and attacking coaches/umps. It also seems they made a correlation between who was running out on the field and the actual location of their tickets. They implemented a policy which they thought would help mitigate some of their problems. Since that time, fewer people have run out onto the field and even fewer (none) have attacked an ump/coach/player.

It sucks that a few people have ruined it for the majority of people in the upper deck, but I don't see the policy changing anytime soon. Add to the fact that there are probably season ticket holders who actually like the policy (myself included), and I really don't think the policy will ever change.

Well, then Chicago = drunken, dangerous fans.

Watch out!!!

mrfourni
08-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Well, then Chiccago = drunken, dangerous fans.

Watch out!!!

I didn't say that. In fact, I said the policy sucks for the majority of people sitting in the upper deck.

I thought my post was pretty clear but I'll try to clarify. Each stadium has different security policies based on many different factors. I won't pretend to know the exact reasons that upper deck ticket holders are limited to the upper deck, but the White Sox obviously feel it is enough of a concern to keep the practice going on at least 7 years now.

The Sox obviously don't think the backlash from upper deck ticket holders is enough of a concern to justify changing a security procedure, otherwise they would change the policy back.

SSrep
08-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I purchased an Ozzie plan before the season started. I bought a single ticket for each of the 13 games, all in the upper deck. I have used 11 of the 13 games thus far and each game (except the Sox/Cubs game), I watched the game from the lower level. Most of the people checking do not care, and if they do...there are usually too many people entering for them to look at each ticket carefully. If you flash the ticket and keep walking with a large group, you will most likely get in. I didn't even try for the Cubs/Sox game as I was with a group of people and would have nowhere to sit. I'm just saying, if you want to check out the lower level amenities, it doesn't hurt to try.

kittle42
08-24-2009, 11:33 AM
I purchased an Ozzie plan before the season started. I bought a single ticket for each of the 13 games, all in the upper deck. I have used 11 of the 13 games thus far and each game (except the Sox/Cubs game), I watched the game from the lower level. Most of the people checking do not care, and if they do...there are usually too many people entering for them to look at each ticket carefully. If you flash the ticket and keep walking with a large group, you will most likely get in. I didn't even try for the Cubs/Sox game as I was with a group of people and would have nowhere to sit. I'm just saying, if you want to check out the lower level amenities, it doesn't hurt to try.

Despite being a LD season ticket holder, I have probably had UD tickets 10 times or so in the past few seasons and have never had to even venture upstairs. You can always get by the ushers. Always.

voodoochile
08-24-2009, 12:03 PM
I didn't say that. In fact, I said the policy sucks for the majority of people sitting in the upper deck.

I thought my post was pretty clear but I'll try to clarify. Each stadium has different security policies based on many different factors. I won't pretend to know the exact reasons that upper deck ticket holders are limited to the upper deck, but the White Sox obviously feel it is enough of a concern to keep the practice going on at least 7 years now.

The Sox obviously don't think the backlash from upper deck ticket holders is enough of a concern to justify changing a security procedure, otherwise they would change the policy back.

It's not all about security. The perception of the UD has been so bad that people often refuse to stay up there. That overextends the services on the lower level if they don't enforce some kind of restriction. Lower level STH were actually complaining in large numbers about the long lines for concessions and bathrooms caused by lower level over crowding. In fact it was a common occurrence around these parts just a few years ago.

soxfanreggie
08-24-2009, 12:19 PM
And 99% of the UD people going to the lower deck will spend the game there in a seat or on the concourse, if allowed.

And I stand by my statement. If you aren't willing to pay for a lower deck seat, but still feel entitled to all the lower deck amenities, you are cheap, especially if your guarantee is true and you make more money than me.

There some numbers you have to prove that stat? Some survey they've conducted?

I might make more than you, and I usually spring for lowers 95% of the time (had season tickets by the Sox dugout for years but just live too far away now to justify the expense), but I actually do like the view from behind the lower part of the upper deck behind home plate. Does that mean on a day with less than 20,000 in attendance, if I have an UD ticket, that on that day I can't go see a statue or say hi to Nancy before the game. I'm not talking about during the game; I'm talking about before the game.

I'm sorry if someone sat in your seat before and you had to go get an usher to take care of the problem for you, but I think you jumbled up the original part of this argument that someone wanted to experience part of the ballpark, not go sit in your seat.

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 12:36 PM
There some numbers you have to prove that stat? Some survey they've conducted?

I might make more than you, and I usually spring for lowers 95% of the time (had season tickets by the Sox dugout for years but just live too far away now to justify the expense), but I actually do like the view from behind the lower part of the upper deck behind home plate. Does that mean on a day with less than 20,000 in attendance, if I have an UD ticket, that on that day I can't go see a statue or say hi to Nancy before the game. I'm not talking about during the game; I'm talking about before the game.

I'm sorry if someone sat in your seat before and you had to go get an usher to take care of the problem for you, but I think you jumbled up the original part of this argument that someone wanted to experience part of the ballpark, not go sit in your seat.

The reason the policy is in place is because of the problems the extra people were causing, one being sitting in wrong seats. If you want to "visit a statue" all you have to do is buy a ticket for the lower deck. If I want to visit the Eifel Tower, buying a ticket to New York City doesn't get the job done. If I bought an upper deck ticket and I wanted a cheeseburger in the club level which are made by Levy and not available on the upper or lower decks, using your policy, I should be allowed to go there. What if it was 100 degrees and I was hot? I would like to check out the air conditioned concourses on the club level.

Again, if its important to go see a statue or visit Nancy, then buy a lower deck ticket. I don't understand the difficulty. I have sat in seats that weren't mine before, right now I have club level tickets and it really doesn't bother me all too much when someone is sitting in my seat unless they try to accuse me of BSing them when I tell them its mine, and the couple times they absolutely refused to move. I just don't see why anyone thinks making people go to the level of seat they paid for is a bad policy.

Besides, there are still plenty of people who do not belong on the lower level in the lower level. If you can't figure out a way to sneak in, then you should stay on the upper tank or go to the upgrade window and get a better seat.

mrfourni
08-24-2009, 12:39 PM
It's not all about security. The perception of the UD has been so bad that people often refuse to stay up there. That overextends the services on the lower level if they don't enforce some kind of restriction. Lower level STH were actually complaining in large numbers about the long lines for concessions and bathrooms caused by lower level over crowding. In fact it was a common occurrence around these parts just a few years ago.

You're right, but one of the main services that gets overextended is security. Its much easier for security to react to an incident when the lower deck is less crowded.

Parrothead
08-24-2009, 12:47 PM
The reason the policy is in place is because of the problems the extra people were causing, one being sitting in wrong seats. If you want to "visit a statue" all you have to do is buy a ticket for the lower deck. If I want to visit the Eifel Tower, buying a ticket to New York City doesn't get the job done. If I bought an upper deck ticket and I wanted a cheeseburger in the club level which are made by Levy and not available on the upper or lower decks, using your policy, I should be allowed to go there. What if it was 100 degrees and I was hot? I would like to check out the air conditioned concourses on the club level.

Again, if its important to go see a statue or visit Nancy, then buy a lower deck ticket. I don't understand the difficulty. I have sat in seats that weren't mine before, right now I have club level tickets and it really doesn't bother me all too much when someone is sitting in my seat unless they try to accuse me of BSing them when I tell them its mine, and the couple times they absolutely refused to move. I just don't see why anyone thinks making people go to the level of seat they paid for is a bad policy.

the difficulty is that LD tix are not always available and some people don't want to pay 2x to 3x the face value of the ticket to get down there. What the Sox should do is put some of the statues and better food places in the UD or on ramps or some so getting down to the LD would not be a big deal and everyone could see the attractions. But I suppose if they did this then the LD people would bitch that they have to walk upstairs to see the stuff.

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 12:48 PM

the difficulty is that LD tix are not always available and some people don't want to pay 2x to 3x the face value of the ticket to get down there. What the Sox should do is put some of the statues and better food places in the UD or on ramps or some so getting down to the LD would not be a big deal and everyone could see the attractions. But I suppose if they did this then the LD people would bitch that they have to walk upstairs to see the stuff.At some point LD seats are available for every game. That's not an excuse. In fact, because of a promotion, there was a game last week where the UD was sold out and only LD tickets remained.

MarkZ35
08-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Some people can't afford the LD tickets when they are bringing a family of 6. So that means that kids they are bringing shouldn't be allowed to go for BP or see the statues. Jacobs Field and Miller Park actually have better places to stand and view the game than the USC Field concourse does. I underdstand that you pay for what you get but it doesn't make sense that every baseball team can figure this out but the Sox.

soxfanreggie
08-24-2009, 01:33 PM
If I want to visit the Eifel Tower, buying a ticket to New York City doesn't get the job done..

There's a slight difference though, as I would already be in Paris (already at the Cell). Basically you are now saying that the "public" landmarks at the Cell aren't really "public". Some sarcasm here: are you in favor of banning Club Level people like yourself from the lower bowl to help keep numbers down? You paid for a Club Level seat, maybe you should stay there, since we wouldn't want you to experience something you didn't pay for.

If I bought an upper deck ticket and I wanted a cheeseburger in the club level which are made by Levy and not available on the upper or lower decks, using your policy, I should be allowed to go there. What if it was 100 degrees and I was hot? I would like to check out the air conditioned concourses on the club level. ..

If the Sox deemed those "public" areas, then yes, you should be able to go there. However, I don't ever remember those being open to anyone with any ticket. I also don't think the Club area is open to any fan attending the game at any stadium. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It goes back to: if other teams can figure this out with their stadiums, so can we.

I don't understand the difficulty. I have sat in seats that weren't mine before. Then, should we call you cheap?

I just don't see why anyone thinks making people go to the level of seat they paid for is a bad policy.

I would agree with you that you should not sit in seats that aren't yours DURING the game (obvious exception if there are 5,000 people there in the whole stadium and nobody is in your entire section and you want to sit in a different seat). However, I have no problem with a Dad and Johnny standing near the OF catching a home run ball or Mom taking Susie's picture near the Fisk statue. Maybe the OF just didn't bother me that much during the game because I was focused on watching the game. I was there when it was sold out for the playoffs in 2005, and it didn't bother me a bit. I guess we just have different views on the subject.

If you can't figure out a way to sneak in, then you should stay on the upper tank or go to the upgrade window and get a better seat. So you complain about people being down there, and are now saying to sneak into an area where you say fans should not go if they are too "cheap" to buy a ticket? Which way is it man?!? :D:

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Some people can't afford the LD tickets when they are bringing a family of 6. So that means that kids they are bringing shouldn't be allowed to go for BP or see the statues. Jacobs Field and Miller Park actually have better places to stand and view the game than the USC Field concourse does. I underdstand that you pay for what you get but it doesn't make sense that every baseball team can figure this out but the Sox.

You can watch BP from your seat in the upper deck. What is the fascination with the statues? You see them once and who really cares?

Since when should a ballgame be any different than any other thing in life. And this isn't only the White Sox. Take your kids to a Cubs game with bleacher seats and try to go anywhere else, or buy some upper level seats and tell me what kind of access you had at autographs. Go to a Yankees game and try to get into those $900 seats an hour before the game with an upper deck ticket. It isn't going to happen. White Sox fans complain about everything. Tell me how you do when you have an OF seat in Boston and want to wander into the infield. Try to get anywhere near the dugout with an upper deck seat in Minnesota. When I went to Milwaukee this year and sat behind the Sox dugout, I had 3 people check my ticket everytime I left and came back, so no kid with an upper deck ticket would be allowed in for autographs.

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 01:42 PM
There's a slight difference though, as I would already be in Paris (already at the Cell). Basically you are now saying that the "public" landmarks at the Cell aren't really "public". Some sarcasm here: are you in favor of banning Club Level people like yourself from the lower bowl to help keep numbers down? You paid for a Club Level seat, maybe you should stay there, since we wouldn't want you to experience something you didn't pay for.

If the Sox deemed those "public" areas, then yes, you should be able to go there. However, I don't ever remember those being open to anyone with any ticket. I also don't think the Club area is open to any fan attending the game at any stadium. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It goes back to: if other teams can figure this out with their stadiums, so can we.

Then, should we call you cheap?

I would agree with you that you should not sit in seats that aren't yours DURING the game (obvious exception if there are 5,000 people there in the whole stadium and nobody is in your entire section and you want to sit in a different seat). However, I have no problem with a Dad and Johnny standing near the OF catching a home run ball or Mom taking Susie's picture near the Fisk statue. Maybe the OF just didn't bother me that much during the game because I was focused on watching the game. I was there when it was sold out for the playoffs in 2005, and it didn't bother me a bit. I guess we just have different views on the subject.

So you complain about people being down there, and are now saying to sneak into an area where you say fans should not go if they are too "cheap" to buy a ticket? Which way is it man?!? :D:

One of the reasons I went to the club level was to get away from the crowd, and while I've been down there a couple times, I can get in because I am a season ticketholder, and I suppose the White Sox probably feel the people who make a commitment do pay for that experience.

I'd be the first one to admit I'm cheap, but I would never complain about a policy that makes me go to an area that I paid for.

As for sneaking, thousands aren't going to be able to do it. A few could. If these boring statues (which I find really is an excuse because people don't want to admit they want access to the lower level for the duration of the game) are such a must, why aren't people lined up at all times looking at them? And it is only $15 more. Surely, if its that important $15 is nothing for the experience.

It's Dankerific
08-24-2009, 02:08 PM
If it really is a fire code thing, they should just have people keeping an estimated count. get there early, you can look around. A little later, then you might not get to walk around.

in short, the prohibition is overdone.

I say this as a club level ST holder who, when in Chicago, can visit any part of the park I want. I think you can only get an Old Style on the LL, so I've made that trip a few times.

salty99
08-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Take your kids to a Cubs game with bleacher seats and try to go anywhere else,

You have this backwards. You can get to the other sections of the park from the bleachers. You can't get to the bleachers from the other sections.

MarkZ35
08-24-2009, 02:13 PM
You can watch BP from your seat in the upper deck. What is the fascination with the statues? You see them once and who really cares?

Since when should a ballgame be any different than any other thing in life. And this isn't only the White Sox. Take your kids to a Cubs game with bleacher seats and try to go anywhere else, or buy some upper level seats and tell me what kind of access you had at autographs. Go to a Yankees game and try to get into those $900 seats an hour before the game with an upper deck ticket. It isn't going to happen. White Sox fans complain about everything. Tell me how you do when you have an OF seat in Boston and want to wander into the infield. Try to get anywhere near the dugout with an upper deck seat in Minnesota. When I went to Milwaukee this year and sat behind the Sox dugout, I had 3 people check my ticket everytime I left and came back, so no kid with an upper deck ticket would be allowed in for autographs.

You got your ticket checked in Milwaukee because it was during the game not 2 hours before the game. They let you go anywhere in that park except the club level before the game. They check your ticket at US Cell during the game too. What's your point there?

The UD in Minnesota are $5 UD GA, that's a little different than $30 dollar UD at the Cell. Yes, the Twins let you down by the field up until around an hour before the game starts. It's the same at Wrigley in the bleachers, it is GA bleachers. Yes, you can leave the bleachers at Wrigley with a bleacher seat but you can't get in there w/o a bleacher seat. So obviously you don't even know what your talking about.

Some people like the statues and seeing Nancy. What's your fascination with A/C and heat in the club level at a baseball game?

DumpJerry
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Take your kids to a Cubs game with bleacher seats and try to go anywhere else

You have this backwards. You can get to the other sections of the park from the bleachers. You can't get to the bleachers from the other sections.
I checked with the Cubbie Blue Bleacher Bum in my office. The Bud Light Bleachers (and their predecessor) are isolated from the rest of the ballpark. You cannot access other areas of the ballpark from the Bleachers and you cannot access the Bleachers from other areas of the ballpark. The Bleachers have, and always had, their own entrance and exit.

I think it is obvious why this is the setup at the Urinal. You don't want the unwashed mixing in with the civilians........

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
You got your ticket checked in Milwaukee because it was during the game not 2 hours before the game. They let you go anywhere in that park except the club level before the game. They check your ticket at US Cell during the game too. What's your point there?

The UD in Minnesota are $5 UD GA, that's a little different than $30 dollar UD at the Cell. Yes, the Twins let you down by the field up until around an hour before the game starts. It's the same at Wrigley in the bleachers, it is GA bleachers. Yes, you can leave the bleachers at Wrigley with a bleacher seat but you can't get in there w/o a bleacher seat. So obviously you don't even know what your talking about.

Some people like the statues and seeing Nancy. What's your fascination with A/C and heat in the club level at a baseball game?

I just used it as an example. I sat in LF in Minnesota, lower deck, the ticket was $8 on Monday, $10.50 on Tuesday. They were check tickets at all entrances an hour before the game. I used some of the club level amenities as examples of what is not offered on the other levels, but for some reason people think they aren't entitled to those because they didn't pay for them, but are entitled to the other ones they didn't pay for.

As to Milwaukee my ticket was checked 90 minutes before game time, the 2 games I was lower level in the infield.

Complain all you want, the policy is here to stay, and I think its a good one. Use your mind and work your way around it or pay for a seat that gets you where you want to be. Its not like they have armed guards keeping people from getting in.

So at Wrigley you can't go out to the bleachers with an upper deck ticket for batting practice? I thought all teams figured out how to do it right except the White Sox.

If you have a bleacher seat at Yankee Stadium, you have access to nowhere else, not even Monument Park.

DumpJerry
08-24-2009, 02:28 PM
They check your ticket at US Cell during the game too.
They do? I've been checked twice this year. I sit in the Lower Bowl. Some kid thought he was supposed to check. By the time the game started, he gave up. The other time, a young woman checked in our seats, but she was sent to a different section the next day.

I know in the premium seats between the dugouts they sometimes come through and audit the tickets.

MarkZ35
08-24-2009, 02:34 PM
They do? I've been checked twice this year. I sit in the Lower Bowl. Some kid thought he was supposed to check. By the time the game started, he gave up. The other time, a young woman checked in our seats, but she was sent to a different section the next day.

I know in the premium seats between the dugouts they sometimes come through and audit the tickets.
The poster said he sat behind the Sox dugout in Milwaukee and that's why I said they check at the cell too. That is a premium seat.

TomBradley72
08-24-2009, 02:39 PM
If it really is a fire code thing, they should just have people keeping an estimated count. get there early, you can look around. A little later, then you might not get to walk around.

in short, the prohibition is overdone.

I say this as a club level ST holder who, when in Chicago, can visit any part of the park I want. I think you can only get an Old Style on the LL, so I've made that trip a few times.

If you would actually leave the Club Level for Old Style...I'm not sure you have any credibility. :cool:

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
The poster said he sat behind the Sox dugout in Milwaukee and that's why I said they check at the cell too. That is a premium seat.

Its also a section to get autographs before the game, something people said the upper deck at USCF doesn't afford so a reason to allow everyone down there. Well, in Milwaukee, they do not unless you have a ticket to be there. Go figure.

It's Dankerific
08-24-2009, 02:46 PM
If you would actually leave the Club Level for Old Style...I'm not sure you have any credibility. :cool:

When you live far away from home, certain things that are otherwise barely tolerable become desirable.

I still pick up a 6 pack of tallboys from by bottle shop for Bears Sunday.

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 02:51 PM
When you live far away from home, certain things that are otherwise barely tolerable become desirable.

I still pick up a 6 pack of tallboys from by bottle shop for Bears Sunday.

I love Old Style. It makes Wrigley tolerable.

MarkZ35
08-24-2009, 02:52 PM
So at Wrigley you can't go out to the bleachers with an upper deck ticket for batting practice? I thought all teams figured out how to do it right except the White Sox.

You don't have to be in the outfield to get a ball in BP. Sometimes you have as good of a chance down the lines to get a player to throw a ball to a kid or catch one down the line. You can still get autographs by the dugout. You have a 0% chance from the upper deck to get either before the game.

Rules are rules and that's fine but if all stadiums had this rule then kids would miss out on the entire experience that baseball stadiums have to offer these days just because their parents can't afford LD seats for an entire family.

DumpJerry
08-24-2009, 02:59 PM
The only time this year when I saw a significant number of people getting autographs during BP was when the Yankees were here. Otherwise it's pretty sporadic, even when the Twins and Tigers were here (they tend to draw a lot of their own fans).

Lower Bowl ticketholders are not able to get White Sox autographs since the Sox take BP before the gates open, so what is up with all this complaining about getting autographs?

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 03:00 PM
You don't have to be in the outfield to get a ball in BP. Sometimes you have as good of a chance down the lines to get a player to throw a ball to a kid or catch one down the line. You can still get autographs by the dugout. You have a 0% chance from the upper deck to get either before the game.

Rules are rules and that's fine but if all stadiums had this rule then kids would miss out on the entire experience that baseball stadiums have to offer these days just because their parents can't afford LD seats for an entire family.

I grew up and had everything I needed, my dad provided pretty well, he was a lawyer, and took us to many games. I never got an autograph, never had a player throw me a ball during BP, but I still enjoyed myself immensely. In fact, we still tease my dad about some of the seat locations we sat in. So much so, that when I moved downtown and could afford a partial plan I bought season tickets in 1990, the last year at the old park and have had season tickets,(upgraded) since. I don't know why looking at a statue or getting an autograph ( and I can tell you since my 7 year old niece had tickets one game front row behind the dugout and was shutout on autographs, its no guarantee even being there when you have a ticket is a guarantee to get one) or maybe a ball from BP is essential to the ballpark experience. The fact is, the people doing the most complaining about it aren't complaining because of kids, they are complaining because of themselves, grown men, looking for autographs? Stealing BP balls from kids? Looking at the same statues 20 times a year? BS. They want something for nothing, and since it is denied, they complain and make up garbage you can do it everywhere else. If it is about the kids, take them to the fundamentals deck, they will have fun there. For the baseball experience, teach them the game, if they love it, watching it will be plenty for them, anything else would be gravy.

MarkZ35
08-24-2009, 03:19 PM
I grew up and had everything I needed, my dad provided pretty well, he was a lawyer, and took us to many games. I never got an autograph, never had a player throw me a ball during BP, but I still enjoyed myself immensely. In fact, we still tease my dad about some of the seat locations we sat in. So much so, that when I moved downtown and could afford a partial plan I bought season tickets in 1990, the last year at the old park and have had season tickets,(upgraded) since. I don't know why looking at a statue or getting an autograph ( and I can tell you since my 7 year old niece had tickets one game front row behind the dugout and was shutout on autographs, its no guarantee even being there when you have a ticket is a guarantee to get one) or maybe a ball from BP is essential to the ballpark experience. The fact is, the people doing the most complaining about it aren't complaining because of kids, they are complaining because of themselves, grown men, looking for autographs? Stealing BP balls from kids? Looking at the same statues 20 times a year? BS. They want something for nothing, and since it is denied, they complain and make up garbage you can do it everywhere else. If it is about the kids, take them to the fundamentals deck, they will have fun there. For the baseball experience, teach them the game, if they love it, watching it will be plenty for them, anything else would be gravy.
A little off topic but on kids days the lines are filled with sports memorabilia jag bags. I can't stand being there and seeing all of the guys with backpacks filled with balls and bats that they are just going to go and sell.

I know that you don't need a ball or an autograph to make the game enjoyable but I still remember my first autograph at a Sox game and first bp ball like it was yesterday. I wish that every kid could at least get a few balls and autographs when they are little.

kittle42
08-24-2009, 03:24 PM
I know that you don't need a ball or an autograph to make the game enjoyable but I still remember my first autograph at a Sox game and first bp ball like it was yesterday. I wish that every kid could at least get a few balls and autographs when they are little.

I remember being excited by autographs from such luminaries as Donn Pall. It means a ton to you at the time.

jdm2662
08-24-2009, 03:29 PM
A little off topic but on kids days the lines are filled with sports memorabilia jag bags. I can't stand being there and seeing all of the guys with backpacks filled with balls and bats that they are just going to go and sell.

Every grown man should be turned down for an autograph when asked for one. Kids are fine, but as you said, some *******s use kids to get their stuff signed.

As for the issue at hand, if you want to go to the 100 level, buy a ticket there. Lately, I've preferred to sit in the UD behind home plate. You get the best view of the game there...

ewokpelts
08-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Most games this year have promo codes, so the price differance isnt that severe.

rocky biddle
08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm sure the cost issues would be ridiculous, but I've always thought they should have extra security who monitor the outfield concourse. The people who just hang out there drive me crazy. If security checked tickets and escorted non-LD ticket holders out once the game starts, they could let people downstairs to see the ballpark.

Obviously people would take advantage, but they do that now.

Stoky44
08-24-2009, 04:05 PM
As for your stupid fractioning of the lower deck, that would make no sense. It would be impossible to enforce and make it worse for everyone as the stadium's flow would be disrupted.

The autograph thing is laughable to, because the majority of non kids getting autographs are getting them to sell them.

Cheap. If the statues are that important, drink a couple of beers less one game and buy a ticket to the lower deck

SOx have fractioned the lower deck. In the past they have limited access to the outfield concourse.... Stupid?!? huh guess you were wrong there.

How do you know I was not talking about kids?

Many people tend to not drink any beers at a game.

kittle42
08-24-2009, 04:12 PM
SOx have fractioned the lower deck. In the past they have limited access to the outfield concourse.... Stupid?!? huh guess you were wrong there.

It's true - they did it during the Cubs series this season. No one without an OF ticket could get onto the concourse. Reverse price discrimination! :D:

Seriously, though, since I am really neutral on this whole policy - dickallen, what do you think about the fact that the highest-priced tickets in the LD were kept from getting into the OF concourse? In contrast, anyone with an OF seat could go wherever they wanted.

salty99
08-24-2009, 04:24 PM
I checked with the Cubbie Blue Bleacher Bum in my office. The Bud Light Bleachers (and their predecessor) are isolated from the rest of the ballpark. You cannot access other areas of the ballpark from the Bleachers and you cannot access the Bleachers from other areas of the ballpark. The Bleachers have, and always had, their own entrance and exit.

I think it is obvious why this is the setup at the Urinal. You don't want the unwashed mixing in with the civilians........

Nope, I just was there. I easily got from the bleachers to the main part of the park. They scan your ticket leaving and coming back to the bleachers. It has been like this for at least the past 3 years. The bleachers do have their own entrance and exit, but the stands do connect to the main park.

soxfanreggie
08-24-2009, 06:05 PM
I Looking at the same statues 20 times a year? BS. They want something for nothing, and since it is denied, they complain and make up garbage you can do it everywhere else. If it is about the kids, take them to the fundamentals deck, they will have fun there.

Not all families can go to 20 games a year. They may only go once a year.

Standing Ovation
08-24-2009, 06:12 PM
The fact is, the people doing the most complaining about it aren't complaining because of kids, they are complaining because of themselves, grown men, looking for autographs? Stealing BP balls from kids? Looking at the same statues 20 times a year? BS. They want something for nothing, and since it is denied, they complain and make up garbage you can do it everywhere else. If it is about the kids, take them to the fundamentals deck, they will have fun there. For the baseball experience, teach them the game, if they love it, watching it will be plenty for them, anything else would be gravy.

Dude, you're so out of touch, it's comical.

fox23
08-24-2009, 06:36 PM
What I find most frustrating is that in the past, the Sox have advertised the park toting the fan deck and the other goodies on the concourse. However, at no point during the commercials or when you purchase tickets online does it say that you cannot access these "perks" from the upper deck. You only find out after you've purchased your tickets. It can be pretty easily assumed that no, you can't get into the scout seats or the club level without a ticket, but unless you have gone to a Sox game, how would you know you can't go downstairs?

While I understand the problems with a ton of people on the concourse, it does add the mentality that the UD sucks and that you are second class citizen up there.

SOXfnNlansing
08-24-2009, 06:54 PM
need a stadium club pass for that

no you don't. I have stadium club passes and no one has ever asked to see it at gate 2. They only check when you enter from the 100 concourse.

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Dude, you're so out of touch, it's comical.

OK, dude.

dickallen15
08-24-2009, 07:06 PM

How do you know I was not talking about kids?

Many people tend to not drink any beers at a game.

You're just a guy that doesn't want to pay for a lower deck ticket to get in the lower deck. You don't have any sympathy except from people wanting to do the same thing.

Parrothead
08-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Seriously, though, since I am really neutral on this whole policy - dickallen, what do you think about the fact that the highest-priced tickets in the LD were kept from getting into the OF concourse? In contrast, anyone with an OF seat could go wherever they wanted.

I like this idea. Everyone is just allowed to get in to the section they paid for. No one could go anywhere else. That would solve all the problems on this thread. Certain sections would only be able to enter at certain gates and walls could be put up where the brake off point would occur. That way no one would be able to walk all around the park, the way the Sox orginally had it.

kittle42
08-24-2009, 10:08 PM
I like this idea. Everyone is just allowed to get in to the section they paid for. No one could go anywhere else. That would solve all the problems on this thread. Certain sections would only be able to enter at certain gates and walls could be put up where the brake off point would occur. That way no one would be able to walk all around the park, the way the Sox orginally had it.

This sounds sarcastic, but I can't really tell. There are people who would think this is a good idea, it sounds like.

It's Dankerific
08-25-2009, 02:29 PM

This sounds sarcastic, but I can't really tell. There are people who would think this is a good idea, it sounds like.

I'm only for it if there are armed sentries at each bottleneck.

DSpivack
08-25-2009, 02:51 PM

I believe this is known as the Yankee Plan.

soxfanreggie
08-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Lately, I've preferred to sit in the UD behind home plate. You get the best view of the game there...

But in Dick's mind, if you want to see anything on the lower level, no matter how much money you spend on the Sox every year, you're CHEAP!

You're just a guy that doesn't want to pay for a lower deck ticket to get in the lower deck. You don't have any sympathy except from people wanting to do the same thing.

:rolleyes:

Going for the title of the King of broad generalizations and assumptions??? Not everyone is out to get you and ruin your game experience.

dickallen15
08-25-2009, 04:05 PM
But in Dick's mind, if you want to see anything on the lower level, no matter how much money you spend on the Sox every year, you're CHEAP!

:rolleyes:

Going for the title of the King of broad generalizations and assumptions??? Not everyone is out to get you and ruin your game experience.

Its no assumption to say you're cheap since if you supposedly have a lot of money and only want to purchase the cheapest seat available and have no intention of sitting in it.

kittle42
08-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Its no assumption to say you're cheap since if you supposedly have a lot of money and only want to purchase the cheapest seat available and have no intention of sitting in it.

If I had a guarantee of being able to be in the LD, I would certainly go cheap once in a while, but UD tix, and just stand on the councourse or open-seat hunt.

TomBradley72
08-25-2009, 05:26 PM
What I find most frustrating is that in the past, the Sox have advertised the park toting the fan deck and the other goodies on the concourse. However, at no point during the commercials or when you purchase tickets online does it say that you cannot access these "perks" from the upper deck. You only find out after you've purchased your tickets. It can be pretty easily assumed that no, you can't get into the scout seats or the club level without a ticket, but unless you have gone to a Sox game, how would you know you can't go downstairs?

While I understand the problems with a ton of people on the concourse, it does add the mentality that the UD sucks and that you are second class citizen up there.

Very well said.

Diehards/regulars know about policy...tourists/first timers do not...and it leaves them with a bad taste of their experience at the Cell.

Stoky44
08-25-2009, 05:38 PM

What I find hilarious is that when he has no counterpoint or way to refute an argument then you are just cheap. Awesome. haha
Also just so you know 90% of games I have been to the last few years are on the LD. I sit in my own seat. BUt now I may have a new mission in finding your seats. I still don't think its right to restrict access. Been to many parks across the country and one of my favorite things to do is walk around the park and explore before the game. Sox policy restricts that.

In case you haven't read the entire thread, people in here will clearly state that UD behind the plate are a great seat, and probably better than some LD seats. However some how you take that as "cheap" not smart or good baseball fans? huh?

MarkZ35
08-25-2009, 05:50 PM
In case you haven't read the entire thread, people in here will clearly state that UD behind the plate are a great seat, and probably better than some LD seats. However some how you take that as "cheap" not smart or good baseball fans? huh?

I believe this quote fits here...

I have discovered in twenty years of moving around a ball park, that the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats. ~Bill Veeck

soxfanreggie
08-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Very well said.

Diehards/regulars know about policy...tourists/first timers do not...and it leaves them with a bad taste of their experience at the Cell.

I could "generalize" here and say that that is the kind of experience he wants them to have at the Cell. I still believe someone sat in his seats before and made a fuss about it.

Where in this thread did I say I had a lot of money? You may have generalized that (like you have several times in this thread) fact, but I don't see where I said I had a lot of money. If I purchase an upper bowl "cheap" seat, I'm going to sit there. I, like others, like the view from behind home plate. In fact, from a baseball sense (because DURING the game, isn't that what we should be doing, watching the game?), I actually like that view better than down the lines or in most OF places.

As I have said before, I have no problem with a fan moving to a better part of the section they are in if there are 5,000 people there-but find someone who (besides yourself) is going to care in a rainout. I think we've all seen the sections with two people in them the entire game.

Stoky44
08-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I know off topic here, but are the White Sox the only team in baseball that charges more money for OF seats then first few rows behind the plate in the UD. (If not the entire OF, I am sure bleachers)

I am too lazy to look this up. But I am pretty sure its the case. I guess it goes to the whole fact that the UD has a bad rap and site lines are not going into pricing.

PennStater98r
08-26-2009, 10:30 AM
As a fellow 159 STH, things always were crowded in the outfield before this policy was instituted, and sometimes if you left you seat during the game, you would come back and see some drunks sitting there and it would be a pain to get them to move.

What makes you think this only happens in the lower deck - and that it's only upper deck drunks that commit this offense? I try to avoid upperdeck tickets like the plague, but I had to sit there for the Sunday Cubs game this year, and had decent UD down the first base line. I left to grab some chow and sure enough - someone was sitting in my seat when I returned.

Further, 1 of every 3-4 times that I go to the game - someone is usually sitting in my seat - regardless of whether they're drunk or not - they move when I ask them.

Sometimes it's just a matter of chatting with someone they know at the game in your section, and sometimes it's someone going for a Comiskey Upgrade. Regardless, it's not a pain to ask them to move 95% of the time. Most of the time, they blow out quite quickly - usually to worse 100 level seats. :wink:

Roudy behavior, sneaking a Comiskey upgrade and crowding the concourse is not limited to those that hold upperdeck seats. However, access is restricted to the lower concourse based on all three of the above being an excuse. I say fine - if you sit in the upperdeck, don't buy any Sox gear unless it's from the lower concourse. Buy it from your local sports shop instead. You'll probably get it cheaper. Hell, my A.J. World Series patch jersey was a Foot Locker purchase - and only $20. I was GLAD at that point that the only tix I could get for the WS was in the upperdeck. I would have easily spent much much more on that jersey - especially after the dropped third strike.

PennStater98r
08-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Many of you in favor of the policy are missing the point.

The original poster and others are not asking to sit in your lower deck seats. Many of the posters (myself included - prior to the policy) would have rather had a ticket in the first five rows directly behind home plate - than a seat in the outfield on the lower concourse - where you can not see the scoreboard - don't have as close a view to the field... and so on.

We don't want to sit in those seats. We want to visit the vendors that sell food that usually costs more money and buy items from the lower level Hall of Fame shop. Let's see... a $4 hot dog - or a $7 Italian Beef or a premium beer? Seriously - it's not about sitting in the seats - it's about acquiring items in the park that often will provide more profit to the White Sox...

What many of you are failing to see is that we want to spend more money in the park - but are denied. Again, that's okay. All of you - go buy your Sox Gear from Foot Locker, Bergners or any sports store. Heck go to Grandstand - they have a wider variety there anyway.

voodoochile
08-26-2009, 11:00 AM

The original poster and others are not asking to sit in your lower deck seats. Many of the posters (myself included - prior to the policy) would have rather had a ticket in the first five rows directly behind home plate - than a seat in the outfield on the lower concourse - where you can not see the scoreboard - don't have as close a view to the field... and so on.

We don't want to sit in those seats. We want to visit the vendors that sell food that usually costs more money and buy items from the lower level Hall of Fame shop. Let's see... a $4 hot dog - or a $7 Italian Beef or a premium beer? Seriously - it's not about sitting in the seats - it's about acquiring items in the park that often will provide more profit to the White Sox...

What many of you are failing to see is that we want to spend more money in the park - but are denied. Again, that's okay. All of you - go buy your Sox Gear from Foot Locker, Bergners or any sports store. Heck go to Grandstand - they have a wider variety there anyway.

There's a gift shop on the second level too isn't there? I know there are booths that sell stuff and heck, if push comes to shove, you could go to the downstairs shop after the game ends. I doubt they stop you then.

PennStater98r
08-26-2009, 11:18 AM
There's a gift shop on the second level too isn't there? I know there are booths that sell stuff and heck, if push comes to shove, you could go to the downstairs shop after the game ends. I doubt they stop you then.

I usually don't need to go downstairs after the game - because I sit in the lower levels - unless it's impossible to get a ticket for it (though I have been known to pay scalp prices too simply to have the luxury of sitting in the lower level). However, 2 times in the last five years, I've been forced to sit in the upperdeck - once was the World Series and once was this year against the Cubs on the Sunday game - and for that Cubs game - my dad secured the tickets for a bus trip that he organized and had a couple drop out at the last minute and asked if I'd like to take Keaton (my son) to the game and ride up on his bus.

Anyway, the shop on the second level is far inferior to the shop on the lower level. They don't have some of the premium t-shirts ($50+ cool tees that I have paid for gladly) as well as a lesser selection of players' jerseys. That's not to mention the Mitchell & Ness gear - which I prefer to buy when I can due to quality and authenticity (though admittedly - I prefer to buy this from Grand Stand b/c the lower level shop doesn't have much there by M&N).

If I wanted the stuff that the sell in the upper deck (with the excpetion of a few jerseys), I'd just buy it from a generic mall cap shop, foot locker or local hobby store. If I buy something from the Cell - it's because I can not find it elsewhere - including what's on the upper level.

I am sympathetic to most that do not have access to the lower level - as there's a lot to see - and the bottom line is that it was not an enforced policy in the past - which gave the impression that it was not a policy. Perception can be reality - and in that case it was.

Do I need to go look at the statues now that I have seen them a dozen times? No - but if I were a first or second time visitor who did want to see them and could only get my hands on upperdeck tickets - I'd like to see them - and believe you shouldn't be restricted to seeing the sites because you purchase upperdeck tix...

I believe it to just be bad business on behalf of the White Sox.

kittle42
08-26-2009, 11:46 AM
I believe it to just be bad business on behalf of the White Sox.

And, this, I agree with.

Jerko
08-26-2009, 11:46 AM
People don't seem to hate the policy, they seem to hate the excuse the Sox used to implement the policy (morons running on the field). I like the policy because the LD used to be soooooo crowded, just on regular Saturday night games. People were pissing in the ****in sinks, pissing on the ramps on the way out because it was impossible to get into the john, and generally acting like *******s. *** I used to go UP to the UD on those nights because there was more room up there. I'm sure some of the people acting that way WERE lower deckers, so I don't just say "those upper deck people are low class jerks that don't belong down here". BUT, I'm glad the Sox did SOMETHING to address the problem, and yes, it was a problem. People also seem to hate the fact that this was implemented "on the run" and wasn't a rule when the park first opened. Well, when the park first opened, the outfield concourse WAS blocked off (as mentioned earlier in this thread). That caused so many headaches and I emailed the Sox back then bitching to open it up, so it's not like I am "anti-people" or anything. Plus, even when attendance sucked, you could bet your bottom dollar that concourse was a zoo on weekends. Sox could have handled it better from the beginning, but I look at it as people got to "upgrade" for free for years. Plus, there was really nothing to do on the LD besides WATCH THE GAME when it was first put into place. What was there, one statue down there back then? There was no fan deck. Nothing wrong with the policy IMO. Yeah it would suck if someone ordered a UD ticket and didn't know he was relegated up there until he GOT up there, but to me anyway, that's a small price to pay to avoid things going back to the old ways. And I never agreed with the "running onto the field" reason either. Morons can sit in the lower deck too and get hammered. A lot of people whining about this policy never had to sit in the outfield before it was implemented. Believe me, it's much needed and much appreciated.

daveeym
08-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I can't believe there's another thread on this when we all know bribing an usher with a coke gets you lower deck access.

kittle42
08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I can't believe there's another thread on this when we all know bribing an usher with a coke gets you lower deck access.

Pepsi, man.

chisoxfanatic
08-26-2009, 01:39 PM
IIRC, the downstairs gift shop is not open after the game. It closes a couple innings before the end of the game.

voodoochile
08-26-2009, 02:24 PM
IIRC, the downstairs gift shop is not open after the game. It closes a couple innings before the end of the game.

Is that a change of policy? I seem to recall going in there after the game ended a few times.

DumpJerry
08-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Is that a change of policy? I seem to recall going in there after the game ended a few times.
Per the Sox website:

Gift Shops
Where are the gift shops located in U.S. Cellular Field?
There are a variety of gift shops available at U.S. Cellular Field. They are located on the Main and Upper Levels behind home plate and in centerfield. The Majestic Athletic Gift Shop, behind home plate on the Main Level, is open during games as well as when the team is on the road -- Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Majestic Athletic Custom T-Shirt Shops are located near sections 121 and 542. The New Era Cap Corner, featuring baseball caps in a variety of colors, styles and sizes, is located near Section 157 in the left-field corner on the Main Level and behind home plate on the Upper Level. For merchandise information, call 312-674-5183

voodoochile
08-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Per the Sox website:

I don't mean like midnight when the game ends at 10:00, but for a reasonable period of time while the ballpark empties.

mrfourni
08-26-2009, 03:31 PM

But if the rule were to be reversed, there would be plenty of people who would buy upper deck tickets and move down to the lower concourse with no intention of returning to their seats. I know that because I used to do that when I was in high school.

Those are the people who were making the experience, especially in the outfield, miserable for those who actually had seats in the lower concourse.

I'm sure they figure if people really don't like the policy, they'll pony up the money for lower concourse seats. I still haven't seen anyone who has said they will stop going to games because they couldn't get to the lower level with their upper deck tickets.

PennStater98r
08-26-2009, 03:37 PM

My brother's used a $20 for him and his girlfriend (wife now). I'll have to let him know a Pepsi's just as good now. :cool:

You know this is one of the reasons I refuse to sit upstairs now unless completely unavoidable. 2004 was the last time - so I swore then - but the Series left me little choice as did going to a free game with my dad (well free for me - not him - though I made sure to get him something from Grandstand after the game).

PennStater98r
08-26-2009, 03:38 PM

This is not true - as of June anyway.

chisoxfanatic
08-26-2009, 03:46 PM
This is not true - as of June anyway.
Do they re-open the place after cutting off entry then? I've seen people being denied entry at around the 8th inning.

It's Dankerific
08-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Do they re-open the place after cutting off entry then? I've seen people being denied entry at around the 8th inning.

Is it possible it varies, day to day?

mantis1212
08-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Per the Sox website:

Gift Shops
Where are the gift shops located in U.S. Cellular Field?
There are a variety of gift shops available at U.S. Cellular Field. They are located on the Main and Upper Levels behind home plate and in centerfield. The Majestic Athletic Gift Shop, behind home plate on the Main Level, is open during games as well as when the team is on the road -- Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Majestic Athletic Custom T-Shirt Shops are located near sections 121 and 542. The New Era Cap Corner, featuring baseball caps in a variety of colors, styles and sizes, is located near Section 157 in the left-field corner on the Main Level and behind home plate on the Upper Level. For merchandise information, call 312-674-5183

I find this surprising- does this mean I can just walk into the park tomorrow afternoon like it's a shopping mall and go to the gift shop?

MarkZ35
08-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Is it possible it varies, day to day?
That might depend on who is working that day and how lazy they feel that day.

DumpJerry
08-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I find this surprising- does this mean I can just walk into the park tomorrow afternoon like it's a shopping mall and go to the gift shop?
Yes. I've done it in the offseason. Go to the Gate 4 entrance and they will let you up the elevator.

MarkZ35
08-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Yes. I've done it in the offseason. Go to the Gate 4 entrance and they will let you up the elevator.
That's cool I never knew that. Can you see the field from in there? Are you allowed in there with an UD ticket?

DumpJerry
08-26-2009, 04:49 PM
That's cool I never knew that. Can you see the field from in there? Are you allowed in there with an UD ticket?
Yes and yes.

soxfan43
08-26-2009, 05:28 PM
People don't seem to hate the policy, they seem to hate the excuse the Sox used to implement the policy (morons running on the field). I like the policy because the LD used to be soooooo crowded, just on regular Saturday night games. People were pissing in the ****in sinks, pissing on the ramps on the way out because it was impossible to get into the john, and generally acting like *******s. *** I used to go UP to the UD on those nights because there was more room up there. I'm sure some of the people acting that way WERE lower deckers, so I don't just say "those upper deck people are low class jerks that don't belong down here". BUT, I'm glad the Sox did SOMETHING to address the problem, and yes, it was a problem. People also seem to hate the fact that this was implemented "on the run" and wasn't a rule when the park first opened. Well, when the park first opened, the outfield concourse WAS blocked off (as mentioned earlier in this thread). That caused so many headaches and I emailed the Sox back then bitching to open it up, so it's not like I am "anti-people" or anything. Plus, even when attendance sucked, you could bet your bottom dollar that concourse was a zoo on weekends. Sox could have handled it better from the beginning, but I look at it as people got to "upgrade" for free for years. Plus, there was really nothing to do on the LD besides WATCH THE GAME when it was first put into place. What was there, one statue down there back then? There was no fan deck. Nothing wrong with the policy IMO. Yeah it would suck if someone ordered a UD ticket and didn't know he was relegated up there until he GOT up there, but to me anyway, that's a small price to pay to avoid things going back to the old ways. And I never agreed with the "running onto the field" reason either. Morons can sit in the lower deck too and get hammered. A lot of people whining about this policy never had to sit in the outfield before it was implemented. Believe me, it's much needed and much appreciated.

Well said. The lower deck used to get insanely crowded before this policy. Have I bought UD tix and snuck down to better seats? Of course. But that doesn't mean I don't support the policy. If I'm paying for a better seat I don't want to wait in line for food or the bathroom and miss an entire inning or more. It sucks that people with kids who want to see BP or people that want to just see the statues and have UD tix can't. But if the policy went away then too many people would abuse it. It's easier to deal with the complaints now than to try and deal with the security issues and the complaints if there was no policy. Life isn't always fair. I don't see the big uproar here. If seeing the lower deck stuff is that important then shell out a few extra bucks and go for it. Go eat before the game to save money or as someone said earlier buy a few less beers and tailgate before the game.

kittle42
08-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Well said. The lower deck used to get insanely crowded before this policy. Have I bought UD tix and snuck down to better seats? Of course. But that doesn't mean I don't support the policy. If I'm paying for a better seat I don't want to wait in line for food or the bathroom and miss an entire inning or more. It sucks that people with kids who want to see BP or people that want to just see the statues and have UD tix can't. But if the policy went away then too many people would abuse it. It's easier to deal with the complaints now than to try and deal with the security issues and the complaints if there was no policy. Life isn't always fair. I don't see the big uproar here. If seeing the lower deck stuff is that important then shell out a few extra bucks and go for it. Go eat before the game to save money or as someone said earlier buy a few less beers and tailgate before the game.

I have been riding the fence this whole thread, but this is really where I come down. As a LD season ticket holder who finds his way into the LD when he occasionally has UD tickets for myself or friends, it sums up how I feel. If that makes me a hypocrite, well, it's not the first time!

soxfanreggie
08-26-2009, 05:58 PM
If that makes me a hypocrite, well, it's not the first time!

Yup, it pretty much makes you a hypocrite. :wink:

TomBradley72
08-26-2009, 06:54 PM
If seeing the lower deck stuff is that important then shell out a few extra bucks and go for it. Go eat before the game to save money or as someone said earlier buy a few less beers and tailgate before the game.

My main issue is that the White Sox do not make it clear to people buying upper deck tickets that they will NOT have access to the 100 level...I don't like the policy at all...but not being clear to your customers to me is unacceptable. Especially for out of towners or people who are not as obsessed with the Pale Hose as all of us are.

daveeym
08-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Pepsi, man.
My bad. I wonder what a churro would get you access too?

FielderJones
08-27-2009, 02:59 PM
My bad. I wonder what a churro would get you access too?

The warning track, until Roger hit you with a rake. :D:

dickallen15
08-27-2009, 09:19 PM
My main issue is that the White Sox do not make it clear to people buying upper deck tickets that they will NOT have access to the 100 level...I don't like the policy at all...but not being clear to your customers to me is unacceptable. Especially for out of towners or people who are not as obsessed with the Pale Hose as all of us are.

There are signs at the ticket windows. I'm sure most people know about it.

fox23
08-27-2009, 09:49 PM

Not online, where many people buy tickets.

soxfanreggie
08-27-2009, 10:11 PM

As someone who has worked in athletics, the number of people purchasing tickets at a window is severely declining. In addition, people aren't going to think of calling the ticket office (if they can even get ahold of someone who knows what they are talking about) to ask "Well, is there anywhere in the park that I can't go with this ticket?"

Chances are, if they have went to other stadiums, where these areas are completely open to the public, they aren't going to think of the Sox as having this policy.

jfinsocal
08-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Seating at Dodger Stadium is far more restrictive than US Cellular for what it's worth.

DumpJerry
08-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Seating at Dodger Stadium is far more restrictive than US Cellular for what it's worth.
Impossible, I say! What else are you going to tell us, the Dodgers require season ticket holders to pay for their postseason tickets three years ahead of time and will never refund the money for unplayed games under any circumstances and will only credit your account if they feel like it?

Come on, we all know the White Sox are the most customer unfriendly company in the free world.

dickallen15
08-28-2009, 08:49 AM
As someone who has worked in athletics, the number of people purchasing tickets at a window is severely declining. In addition, people aren't going to think of calling the ticket office (if they can even get ahold of someone who knows what they are talking about) to ask "Well, is there anywhere in the park that I can't go with this ticket?"

Chances are, if they have went to other stadiums, where these areas are completely open to the public, they aren't going to think of the Sox as having this policy.
Most stadiums aren't entirely open for people purchasing the cheapest ticket.

If I'm visiting another town and what to see something, like the Eifel Tower, I buy a ticket for the Eifel Tower. If some uniformed person wants to walk around the entire facility, perhaps the cheapest ticket route isn't the one to take. There is no excuse. If you want to go to a museum, you need a ticket to the museum, not a ticket to a movie theater.

DumpJerry
08-28-2009, 09:23 AM

If I'm visiting another town and what to see something, like the Eifel Tower, I buy a ticket for the Eifel Tower. If some uniformed person wants to walk around the entire facility, perhaps the cheapest ticket route isn't the one to take. There is no excuse. If you want to go to a museum, you need a ticket to the museum, not a ticket to a movie theater.
Police officers are usually allowed anywhere when on duty.:redneck

soxfanreggie
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM

What relevance is bringing up the Eiffel Tower and a different monument? Are there different levels of prices to see the Eiffel Tower? If you buy the cheapest ticket can you only go up half way? The fallacy in your argument is you are talking about two different venues. You're better off saying that buying a coach ticket doesn't get you into first class, not buying a Cubs ticket doesn't get you into the Cell.

dickallen15
08-28-2009, 09:51 AM
What relevance is bringing up the Eifferl Tower and a different monument? Are there different levels of prices to see the Eiffel Tower? If you buy the cheapest ticket can you only go up half way? The fallacy in your argument is you are talking about two different venues. You're better off saying that buying a coach ticket doesn't get you into first class, not buying a Cubs ticket doesn't get you into the Cell.

Actually, there is different pricing levels in the Eifel Tower but that's beside the point. The point is, you buy an upper deck cheap ticket, it should be assumed you don't get access to every place in the park. You don't get access to things you don't pay for in most events you attend. I'm done arguing this with you as you now are more concerned with the Sox accommodating people who may come to the park once or twice in their lives instead of a season ticketholder.

fox23
08-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Actually, there is different pricing levels in the Eifel Tower but that's beside the point. The point is, you buy an upper deck cheap ticket, it should be assumed you don't get access to every place in the park. You don't get access to things you don't pay for in most events you attend. I'm done arguing this with you as you now are more concerned with the Sox accommodating people who may come to the park once or twice in their lives instead of a season ticketholder.

I think you should assume you can go downstairs when a vast majority of parks allow that.

Those once or twice sort of people are the reason why certain teams sell out every game no matter what and certain others don't.

soxfanreggie
08-28-2009, 10:20 AM
I think you should assume you can go downstairs when a vast majority of parks allow that.

Those once or twice sort of people are the reason why certain teams sell out every game no matter what and certain others don't.

I don't think he gets that

1.) What the Sox do is not the "norm"
2.) That we're not talking about suites, club levels, etc. We're talking about what is a "common area" in a large majority of parks. Should they block off access to various bathrooms based on if you're a ST holder or not? Should we only allow those with Jim Beam seats access to a certain gift stand?
3.) I don't think he cares about those once or twice people, no matter how they benefit our revenue.

I think he now holds me in the same regard as the people who were sitting in his seats and traumatized him for life. In reality, I hope the Sox treat season ticket holders with great respect. There are also extra "perks" that you should get, if the team chooses to do so. However, I don't think that the OF concourse should be part of that "exclusivity", no matter what fit he pitches.

DumpJerry
08-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Soldier Field during Bears games is so restrictive, it makes the White Sox' policy look like the wide-open wild west.

dickallen15
08-28-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't think he gets that

1.) What the Sox do is not the "norm"
2.) That we're not talking about suites, club levels, etc. We're talking about what is a "common area" in a large majority of parks. Should they block off access to various bathrooms based on if you're a ST holder or not? Should we only allow those with Jim Beam seats access to a certain gift stand?
3.) I don't think he cares about those once or twice people, no matter how they benefit our revenue.

I think he now holds me in the same regard as the people who were sitting in his seats and traumatized him for life. In reality, I hope the Sox treat season ticket holders with great respect. There are also extra "perks" that you should get, if the team chooses to do so. However, I don't think that the OF concourse should be part of that "exclusivity", no matter what fit he pitches.

Yes it should be. It becomes way too crowded and can ruin the game experience for the people that paid to be out there.

Actually I do get it. You can buy a bleacher seat and have access to the same things as a premium lower deck box ticket holder.

If you want to buy the cheapest ticket available and don't think your ticket will come with restrictions, you are being naive.

BTW, there is a gift shop by the Jim Beam club for suite ticketholders and Jim Beam Club guests and it has some different things than the other gifts shops. Same with the Club Level. You really need to start complaining about that as well.

Buy the ticket.

dickallen15
08-28-2009, 11:00 AM

No. Season ticketholders who buy tickets for every game are the reason teams sell out and have big payrolls, no some couple from Iowa who decide on a whim to come to a Sox game and are only willing to pay for the lowest level of ticket but still think they should be entitled to everything all paying customers are entitled to.

ewokpelts
08-28-2009, 11:33 AM
My main issue is that the White Sox do not make it clear to people buying upper deck tickets that they will NOT have access to the 100 level...I don't like the policy at all...but not being clear to your customers to me is unacceptable. Especially for out of towners or people who are not as obsessed with the Pale Hose as all of us are.says so on the ticket.

no lower access

dickallen15
08-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Hasn't this policy been in place at least 6 or 7 seasons? Its still not clear to people and these are the people the Sox need to cater to? Apparently, they don't get to the park very much.

Stoky44
08-28-2009, 11:44 AM

Not really surprised, but once again this is a totally wrong statement. Unless you are considering stadium club, sky boxes, etc.

I have been to a majority of parks in MLB, and when you buy the cheapest seat in the park you can go to all levels. Major exception is dodger stadium. Otherwise please inform me of the "most" stadiums you are talking about.

ewokpelts
08-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Not really surprised, but once again this is a totally wrong statement. Unless you are considering stadium club, sky boxes, etc.

I have been to a majority of parks in MLB, and when you buy the cheapest seat in the park you can go to all levels. Major exception is dodger stadium. Otherwise please inform me of the "most" stadiums you are talking about.cant go upstairs at wrigley with a lower deck ticket.

Stoky44
08-28-2009, 11:47 AM
cant go upstairs at wrigley with a lower deck ticket.

But you can go down stairs with an ud ticket. The arguement was that you cannot go to the lower deck in "most" stadiums with the cheapest seat.

But for arguement sake, we can consider this restricted, so we are at 2.

DumpJerry
08-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Alright, the same posts are being posted over and over. I guess this means this discussion can finally end since there is nothing new to add.