PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-21 Sox continue to have no idea what they are doing at plate

captainclutch24
08-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Team needs to get their act together now, or else they'll be done by next friday

GoGoCrede
08-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Snoozer. Take 2/3.

SoxSpeed22
08-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Or on the basepaths for that matter. Pods getting picked off at 2nd, not only let Guthrie get out of trouble, but it set the tone for tonight. Let's just win tomorrow.

Soxman219
Hoping the Tigers lose tonight.

LoveYourSuit
I'm ready to turn the page on this season.

-Baserunning
-Situational Hitting
-Defense.

I see no hope in any of those three aspects of the game getting better here the next 5 weeks.

It will be a miracle.

thomas35forever
Another game in which the offense crapped the bed. It also appears the Sox are the cure to what ails Guthrie since his last two wins have come against them. Is it that hard to hit a hittable pitcher? Apparently, it is.

yazz32
08-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Pods needs a day off. All these pick offs lately. Argh!

whitesoxfan
08-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Football needs to get here ASAP.

Demps2
08-21-2009, 09:38 PM
the only reason people are even interested in this team anymore is b/c we are in such a crappy division. If we were in the west or east, this season would be over and we would be talking about next year. If we make the playoffs great, we'll probably be done in 4 games. This is an average team. Nothing more, nothing less.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Or on the basepaths for that matter. Pods getting picked off at 2nd, not only let Guthrie get out of trouble, but it set the tone for tonight. Let's just win tomorrow.

Pods has been solid no doubt when it comes to big hits. And he has had to pick a bunch of them because the guys that get paid the big $$$ have failed more often that not.

But I would much rather Pods play smart baseball, run the bases well, steal bases, play defense. Those are the assets we need from him

He can't do any of the above.

This team better have no plans in bringing him back next year and jamming up the OF with bad talent again. Move on. Turn the page. Lucky he has stayed in one piece so far, odds are he will be broken down once again after the money is guaranteed.

ChiSox81
08-21-2009, 09:40 PM
We just need to win 2 out of 3. We got Danks and Buehrle going the next couple of games. We should be fine.

Hitmen77
Don't worry about the offense. They'll come around once the weather warms up.

GoGoCrede
The postgame show should be hilarious. Hang in there, Rongey.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2009, 09:41 PM
We just need to win 2 out of 3. We got Danks and Buehrle going the next couple of games. We should be fine.

The Sox had to win 5 of 6 this homestand vs two last place teams.

This homestand is a complete failure.

Britt Burns
08-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Yuck. So inconsistent...this is a frustrating team.

thomas35forever
08-21-2009, 09:46 PM
The Sox had to win 5 of 6 this homestand vs two last place teams.

:rolling:

Typical. So if the Sox didn't win five games, there's no reason for hope for the rest of this homestand. Guess I can focus all my attention on the Bears now.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2009, 09:46 PM
This is by far the most talented Sox team I have seen fail in front of my own eyes.

Think about it, Our top 3 starters are as good as any out there.

We have a rookie of the year candidate and future allstar.

We have the runner up to rookie of the year last year.

We have the best set up man in the game

We have an OK closer

We have a guy who should have been the MVP last year.

Dye, Konerko, Thome

A .300 hitting catcher.

Un ****ing real :angry: that we continue to play .500 baseball.

GoGoCrede
08-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Pods needs a day off. All these pick offs lately. Argh!

Just heard on the postgame show from Ozzie that Pods will continue to play. He needs to get it together.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2009, 09:49 PM
:rolling:

Typical. So if the Sox didn't win five games, there's no reason for hope for the rest of this homestand. Guess I can focus all my attention on the Bears now.

Typical what?

With the road trip coming, we had to load up on these last two opponents. We will be lucky if we go 4 of 6. Win one lose one is the theme, odds are 3-3.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

thomas35forever
08-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Typical what?

With the road trip coming, we had to load up on these last two opponents. We will be lucky if we go 4 of 6. Win one lose one is the theme, odds are 3-3.

Wake up and smell the coffee.
I'd respond, but I don't wanna be accused of a personal attack.

Tragg
08-21-2009, 09:54 PM
This is by far the most talented Sox team I have seen fail in front of my own eyes.

We have an OK closer

Dye, Konerko, Thome

A .300 hitting catcher.

On the other hand:
Bad defensive team
Really iffy bullpen overall; the trustworthy pieces are Thornton and Carrasco; Jenks is still okay.
The starting staff is solid, not great; Peavy hasn't pitched. 4th a nd 5th spots up and down
The sluggers are good, not great.

GoGoCrede
08-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Apparently Pods is the stupidest player to ever put on a Sox uniform, according to a caller on the Score.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-21-2009, 09:56 PM

We have an OK closer

Dye, Konerko, Thome

A .300 hitting catcher.

And after 122 games we are stuck watching the same ****ing things night after night.Two ****ing games over .500 with this bunch.Want to see guys get picked off base ? check...how about horse**** defense ? check...lazy
and indifferent attitudes ? check...failure to hit with RISP ? check...blown
leads late in games ? yes sir,we have some of those as well.Inability to
hammer teams worse that us ? you betcha.After the KC loss the other night
JB came up with the line that fits this bunch to a tee..."criminally stupid".
Absolutely,100 % goddamn right.

fram40
08-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Apparently Pods is the stupidest player to ever put on a Sox uniform, according to a caller on the Score.

not sure if he is stupid, careless, loses focus, whatever

He has to be one of the worst base runners

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2009, 10:03 PM

It's starting to look like a foot race between he and Alexei.

Tragg
08-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Typical what?

With the road trip coming, we had to load up on these last two opponents.
I agree. We played two of the worst teams in the league (one is definitely the worst), we're 3 back in the loss column with a killer schedule coming up. 4-2 on this stand would be a disappointment.

Law11
08-21-2009, 10:09 PM
CSN Postgame ended with the perfect song in honor of Elvis Night. - Its now or Never... That pretty much says it all. This game was beyond sad. Wasted opportunities over and over..

voodoochile
08-21-2009, 10:09 PM
The only part of this game that really ticked me off is allowing Gavin to keep pitching after he gave up the double in the 8th. I have no idea what Ozzie was thinking letting him pitch to Roberts who already had a HR and Floyd pushing 115 pitches. It just made no sense...

fram40
08-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I agree. We played two of the worst teams in the league (one is definitely the worst), we're 3 back in the loss column with a killer schedule coming up. 4-2 on this stand would be a disappointment.

a disappointment - yes

a complete failure? - I don't think so

rdwj
08-21-2009, 10:11 PM
what a ****ing annoying game. Not a great way to start the weekend

WhiteSoxOnly
08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
The only part of this game that really ticked me off is allowing Gavin to keep pitching after he gave up the double in the 8th. I have no idea what Ozzie was thinking letting him pitch to Roberts who already had a HR and Floyd pushing 115 pitches. It just made no sense...

Oz was trying to save the pen after yesterday's taxing day off.

Noneck
08-21-2009, 10:13 PM

I was thinking the same after Pie lead off the 8th getting on base. I bet Oz was trying to reward Floyd with a chance for a win. You don't do that this time of year Ozwaldo!

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Damn if you do damn if you don't.

I think Gavin has been the anchor of our staff the second half, It's time to let him lose out there. He was dominant tonight.

There is no excuse why we didn't hit....PERIOD :angry:

MarkZ35
08-21-2009, 10:16 PM
I just hope the A's can win tonight. This team is so inconsistent. Some games it looks like they don't even want to be there.

GoGoCrede
08-21-2009, 10:17 PM

I think Gavin has been the anchor of our staff the second half, It's time to let him lose out there. He was dominant tonight.

:hawk
They haven't hit their stride yet, but boy, when then do...

:tongue:

SOXfnNlansing
08-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Let's hope they win the next two game, especially since I'll be there spending my time and $.

Brewski
08-21-2009, 10:22 PM
not sure if he is stupid, careless, loses focus, whatever

He has to be one of the worst base runners

Tim Raines used to yell backbackbackbackbackback really loud and really fast when someone was in jeopardy. Does anyone do that now?

It's starting to look like a foot race between he and Alexei.

Him would probably get picked off the starting line.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2009, 10:22 PM
They can beat Zach Grienke and then lose to Jeremy Guthrie, a complete stiff.

Typical White Sox.

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
08-21-2009, 10:24 PM

:wanne
"We'll be foine".:D:

Or will we??

Tune in tomorrow,

Same Sox Time, Same Sox Website.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-21-2009, 10:28 PM
http://economicsociology.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/what-me-worry-715605.jpg

Tonight sucked but we'll be fine.

Just go out and get 'em the next two games.

october23sp
08-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Didn't see the game, I went to Inglourious Basterds. I made the right choice it seems.

And I see people wondering why Pods is playing. It's because he is ****ing good. Tonight was a bad game apparently. So bench him?

WhiteSoxOnly
08-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Didn't see the game, I went to Inglourious Basterds. I made the right choice it seems.

And I see people wondering why Pods is playing. It's because he is ****ing good. Tonight was a bad game apparently. So bench him?

The movie title fits the team.As for Pods,he should be playing but what
the **** is up with him and the pickoffs ? you would think he would be
alert as hell after it happens the first time,and it keeps happening.Maybe
the base coaches should bring out taser guns just to give him a little reminder.

JB98
08-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Crapfest.

I'm a non-believer, and the Sox continue to give me reason not to believe.

hawkjt
08-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I was worried about the O's. They are 4th in the league in hitting, so they can score. They have terrible pitching, but that never is a guarantee to ignite a slumping Sox team. JD and PK still struggling and now Gordo has joined them.Alexei has not done much lately either.
Pods gets hits but finds ways to mess up on the basepaths.

Sox need some help from the A's this weekend. Royals already blew their lead to the Twins, then tied it up only to lose in 10. I do not have grand delusions about this team doing any more than just hopefully staying close enough to make the last two weeks matter.

GoGoCrede
08-21-2009, 10:50 PM
AJ and Floyd sum up my reaction:

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt60/letsgocrede/phpi94OcgPM.jpg

SOX ADDICT '73
08-21-2009, 10:54 PM
...Maybe the base coaches should bring out taser guns just to give him a little reminder.
I think you've hit on something - just imagine Pods wearing a shock collar, and Ozzie in the dugout with a remote control. Everytime Scotty's mind starts to wander...BZZZZZT!!!

TommyGavinFloyd
08-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Well, if Detroit hangs on, we'll be 3 1/2 back which if I remember right is exactly where we were at when the All Star break hit. Tied for 1st for one day since the break. :(:

illinifan1368
08-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Pods on the base paths is a joke. But that's not why we lost. You can't win if you can't score. What a piss poor effort....

Noneck
08-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Tim Raines used to yell backbackbackbackbackback really loud and really fast when someone was in jeopardy. Does anyone do that now?

I have thought of Raines many times. Pods base running was at its peak with Raines. It does make sense as Raines was a great base runner. I wonder if Baines even speaks at 1st and I am sure he doesnt read pitchers moves like Raines could. Baines was a hitter.

ChicagoHoosier
08-21-2009, 11:48 PM
the only reason people are even interested in this team anymore is b/c we are in such a crappy division. If we were in the west or east, this season would be over and we would be talking about next year. If we make the playoffs great, we'll probably be done in 4 games. This is an average team. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't want to pile on, but it's true that we'd be in last place if we were in the AL West instead of the As and in 4th place in the AL East if we were there, so, I have to agree.

Having said that, winning 5/6 this homestand wasn't the definition of success, however I would say that 3/6 would be a disappointment. We're not there yet. Just a bummer we couldn't win tonite given the pitching matchup but I think this falls into the category of "one of the 60 we'll lose."

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2009, 11:49 PM
The best part of tonight's game was that I got my hands on one of the beach balls that was going around and punctured it a few times with my car key, let out the air, and threw the remnants to a guest services rep.

ChicagoHoosier
08-21-2009, 11:52 PM

You can't second-guess Ozzie when you only score one run. Totally agree here. Gavin has been the man and I think was the best option. Heck, Thornton, who has been a rock, gave up a key hit. If Gavin had gotten thru the 8th, we'd have said it was a great move since we have 19 more in a row.

This isn't Ozzie's fault. Or really even Gavin's fault, although 4 runs isn't the best. We should have made due on the other opportunities.

TheOldRoman
08-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Guthrie is a horrible pitcher. Horrible. Absolutley shameful performance tonight by the offense. Against a guy who humiliated them a month ago. Ridiculous but predictable. We just had to tip our caps tonight. At least we know we have stability in our hitting coach. :rolleyes:

But it's okay! Tomorrow we will bust out the black softball jerseys again! That will get us hitting! It will all be good, we will be pulling the ball 700 feet, and we will go on a tear in our roadtrip! Well, except for in Minnesota. We will probably get swept there, because our fragile players' can't take playing there. But that is okay. As long as we swing instead of walk, keep pick-offs to a minimum, and hit some 5-run bombs, we will be fine.

Hitmen77
08-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Anyone who was surprised by tonight's outcome needs to stop drinking the kool aid. Typical game for the 2009 White Sox.

The offense led to this situation. If they could have managed more than 1 run off against the O's, then Ozzie probably would have gone to the pen to start the 8th to protect the lead. Would this have guaranteed success? Of course not, but most likely he wouldn't have brought back Floyd with such a high pitch count.

Once again the Sox either give extra outs to the other team or gift wrap our own outs to the other team. 1st and 2nd nobody out in the 1st inning and what does Pods do? Get picked off 2nd! Rally killer!.....and that was that (except for Thome's HR).

I've seen this rerun before. Good night.

hi im skot
08-22-2009, 12:37 AM

Exaggeration alert!

Lip Man 1
08-22-2009, 12:42 AM
They've already lost two more games to crap teams and dropped a game and a half further back in the last 36 hours. Love may be exaggerating a touch but I can understand why he'd do so.

Regarding Podsednik. Since they got Rios his mind has been down the toilet. Scott, I've got news for you, if you could catch the damn ball the Sox wouldn't have had to go out and get him.

Lip

Harry Potter
08-22-2009, 01:23 AM
The best part of tonight's game was that I got my hands on one of the beach balls that was going around and punctured it a few times with my car key, let out the air, and threw the remnants to a guest services rep.

Every party has a pooper :redneck

gobears1987
08-22-2009, 01:46 AM
I'm glad I don't have tv in my house yet. I didn't have to watch this game. I won't comment on the performance as I didn't see it.

35th&Shields
08-22-2009, 03:03 AM
I'm ready to turn the page on this season.

-Baserunning
-Situational Hitting
-Defense.

I see no hope in any of those three aspects of the game getting better here the next 5 weeks.

It will be a miracle.

Amen, brother. Gavin Floyd was great tonight. It was one of the few situations where I sincerely put it on the manager to pull the pitcher. And Ozzie didn't. Couple that with an inability to get runners home, and we have a team that isn't going anywhere.

PhillipsBubba
08-22-2009, 09:02 AM
The Sox are not a good team and OG is not a good manager.:(:

Looks like the Tigers are going to win it this year. The sad part is, the Tigers aren't very good either, so I can certainly understand Kenny Williams' frustration.

I see him unloading Konerko or Dye if they fall behind 7 or 8 games (which could well happen on this road trip).

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Exaggeration alert!

:scratch:

We can all play the politically correct game. No exaggeration implied my friend. If this homestand isn't a failure, then what is it? A success? If they go 4 and 2, then maybe - just maybe. I'm leaning more towards a wash. We didn't pick up any ground in the AL Central and we have not shown even the slightest improvement in any of our flaws.

It blows my mind how the 2009 squad is any worse than the 2008 squad. Oh well, destined for .500 if you ask me, apparently good enough for 2nd place in the AL Central.

Red Barchetta
08-22-2009, 09:26 AM

We have an OK closer

Dye, Konerko, Thome

A .300 hitting catcher.

I agree. They are frustrating to watch, however IMO the difference between this team and our 2005 team is the 18 wins our fifth starter brought in. Tough to watch when the offense takes another night off.

chisox12
08-22-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm really starting to wonder when Pods is going to get his head out of his a$$. Him getting picked off 2nd set the tone for the rest of the game. It's been so frustrating watching this team the past couple weeks.

russ99
08-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Pods has been solid no doubt when it comes to big hits. And he has had to pick a bunch of them because the guys that get paid the big $$$ have failed more often that not.

But I would much rather Pods play smart baseball, run the bases well, steal bases, play defense. Those are the assets we need from him

He can't do any of the above.

This team better have no plans in bringing him back next year and jamming up the OF with bad talent again. Move on. Turn the page. Lucky he has stayed in one piece so far, odds are he will be broken down once again after the money is guaranteed.

I'd rather see Scott playing aggressive, taking chances and trying to force the opposition into errors than the station to station running most of the team does. If that comes with a price of a few pickoffs, fine by me.

And had those sluggers who are getting the big bucks drove one run in when they were supposed to, we wouldn't be whining about Pods getting picked off...

We'd better have a much better player on the roster leading off before throwing Pods away, and sorry, Getz or Nix doesn't count.

cards press box
08-22-2009, 09:46 AM
The Sox are not a good team and OG is not a good manager.:(:

Looks like the Tigers are going to win it this year. The sad part is, the Tigers aren't very good either, so I can certainly understand Kenny Williams' frustration.

I see him unloading Konerko or Dye if they fall behind 7 or 8 games (which could well happen on this road trip).

Three thoughts:

1. It's true, the Sox are a team in transition but they are getting better. Yes, they may not make the playoffs this year. I am nonetheless encouraged because the Sox certainly have more talent and depth than they had in April. With Rios in CF, the Sox' outfield is better than it was in April and with Beckham at 3B, the Sox infield is better than it was in April. Even though Podsednik has had some problems on the basepaths, the top of this lineup right now is better than it was in April. Add a healthy Jake Peavy to this rotation in September and the Sox could still be formidable coming down the stretch.

2. This team may not have jelled yet but Ozzie is still an awfully good manager. In terms of wins and losses, Ozzie has a strong track record with a .531 winning percentage from 2004 through today. That amounts to an average of 86.1 wins per year over his tenure and that includes the 2007 team (which I believe is an outlier). In five years, his teams have made the playoffs twice and won a world championship. He handles pitchers well, emphasizes defense, rallies his players and has a knack for bringing out the best in players who struggled before playing for him. Jon Garland had his best seasons for Ozzie. Same with Gavin Floyd. Same with Carlos Quentin. Ozzie is honest, candid and tough. Ozzie, in my view, is the best Sox manager since Al Lopez.

3. Looking ahead to this roadtrip, let's see how the Sox do against Boston. The Sox are going to miss Josh Beckett, who is pitching Sunday against the Yanks. The Sox tend to play their best against the best, so this trip may not be their Waterloo. It may, however, be the springboard that propels them to first place in the Central.

DickAllen72
08-22-2009, 10:21 AM
I have thought of Raines many times. Pods base running was at its peak with Raines. It does make sense as Raines was a great base runner. I wonder if Baines even speaks at 1st and I am sure he doesnt read pitchers moves like Raines could. Baines was a hitter.
I agree. I have also thought that Raines was a very good first base coach and perhaps the Sox do miss him. It does seem that Baines is a lot more passive at first base than Raines was and it's true that while Harold was known for his hitting Raines was a much better base runner. The sox did have much more success on the basepaths when Raines was coaching them.

illinifan1368
08-22-2009, 10:23 AM
^^^^^^^^^
I know, I already read it :scratch:

hi im skot
08-22-2009, 10:34 AM
:scratch:

We can all play the politically correct game. No exaggeration implied my friend. If this homestand isn't a failure, then what is it? A success? If they go 4 and 2, then maybe - just maybe. I'm leaning more towards a wash. We didn't pick up any ground in the AL Central and we have not shown even the slightest improvement in any of our flaws.

It blows my mind how the 2009 squad is any worse than the 2008 squad. Oh well, destined for .500 if you ask me, apparently good enough for 2nd place in the AL Central.

If the Sox win today and tomorrow, they've taken 4 of 6, which to me, constitutes a pretty decent homestand. Better yet, if Detroit loses today and tomorrow as the Sox take the next two, the Sox are 1.5 out of first place.

Look, I understand why people are frustrated with this team; I'm not immune to it. I was at Friday's game and was pretty disgusted. But the Sox are still in this race. I don't care if they're in a crappy division; a playoff race is a playoff race.

Obviously, the Sox can't afford to sit on their hands - they need to win now. But if they take the Baltimore series, I really have a difficult time getting upset with the homestand.

SCCWS
08-22-2009, 10:43 AM
3. Looking ahead to this roadtrip, let's see how the Sox do against Boston. The Sox are going to miss Josh Beckett, who is pitching Sunday against the Yanks. The Sox tend to play their best against the best, so this trip may not be their Waterloo. It may, however, be the springboard that propels them to first place in the Central.

Buchholz starts gane one and he is coming on. Lester has been Boston's best starter since June and he pitches Tuesday. But Penny is very hittable and he goes Wednesday. Unfortunately WS go with Garcia Contrearas and then Floyd. My guess is we get one w Floyd.

kittle42
08-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Hey, at least we can look forward to KW doing nothing during the offseason because he did so much at and after the trade deadline this season!

thomas35forever
08-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey, at least we can look forward to KW doing nothing during the offseason because he did so much at and after the trade deadline this season!
But don't you see? He should gotten it done last offseason. Why wait until now to pull these of?!

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2009, 02:46 PM

Who would take those two? They have both sucked since the All-Star break.

Tragg
08-22-2009, 03:15 PM
I agree. I have also thought that Raines was a very good first base coach and perhaps the Sox do miss him. It does seem that Baines is a lot more passive at first base than Raines was and it's true that while Harold was known for his hitting Raines was a much better base runner. The sox did have much more success on the basepaths when Raines was coaching them.
Raines wasn't very good at being a yes-man.

southsideirish71
08-22-2009, 03:50 PM
I'd rather see Scott playing aggressive, taking chances and trying to force the opposition into errors than the station to station running most of the team does. If that comes with a price of a few pickoffs, fine by me.

And had those sluggers who are getting the big bucks drove one run in when they were supposed to, we wouldn't be whining about Pods getting picked off...

We'd better have a much better player on the roster leading off before throwing Pods away, and sorry, Getz or Nix doesn't count.

Getting picked off because you are going on first move, or trying to get a lead for a possible stolen base is one thing. Getting picked off because you lose track of the 2nd baseman or wander off 3rd late in a game is not excusable. He is a vet.

Dye needs to step up, or someone else needs to move into the 3 hole. He has been struggling since the ASB.

DickAllen72
08-22-2009, 05:32 PM
I guess not. It's too bad because he was probably the best non-pitching coach Ozzie has had.

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2009, 07:58 PM

Precisely.

Winning the World Series was a wonderful thing for a trillion different reasons.

But at the same time, there was ONE bad thing that has come of it: Winning the World Series in his second year of managing seems to have convinced Ozzie that he has nothing more to learn about managing.

StillMissOzzie
08-23-2009, 02:56 AM
The Sox had plenty of chances, but as usual, the situational hitting stunk - AGAIN.:(:
I am getting a bit tired of seeing Pods hit .300, only to get picked off at 2B or 3B. Seems like a lack of concentration on his part, and just what were the coaches doing when they saw the 2B creeping up for the pickoff throw?:mad:

But, I did finally get a free cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee thanks to the Thome bomb in the 4th. :rolleyes:

SMO
:gulp: