PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rice unloads on Jeter, A-Rod and Manny

Fenway
08-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Jim Rice: Manny, A-Rod, Jeter set bad example (http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/08/jim_rice_manny.html)

I am surprised he included Jeter

Big D
08-21-2009, 05:54 PM
I remember once reading a quote from an old-time baseball man complaining about the lack of fundamentals of "modern-day" players. The quote was from 1916. So I guess not much has changed in nearly 100 years. Probably a lot of people would have said the same or worse things about Rice when he played. There was a reason it took him 15 years to make the Hall of Fame.

seventyseven
08-21-2009, 06:04 PM
I was under the impression that Jim Rice was one of the bigger d-bags out there, himself.

gobears1987
08-21-2009, 06:05 PM
I remember once reading a quote from an old-time baseball man complaining about the lack of fundamentals of "modern-day" players. The quote was from 1916. So I guess not much has changed in nearly 100 years. Probably a lot of people would have said the same or worse things about Rice when he played. There was a reason it took him 15 years to make the Hall of Fame.If he wore the other color Sox, he never would've made it in the first place. Just ask Harold about that one.

Eddo144
08-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Jim Rice thinks dreadlocks are ruining baseball. Apparently, curlers (Dock Ellis) and afros (Oscar Gamble) are a totally different thing. OK. :rolleyes:

And baggy uniforms? One of my favorite parts of Ball Four was when Bouton discusses how players in the late 60's started to wear tight uniforms and got call prima donnas for doing so.

Oblong
08-21-2009, 10:02 PM
What players pick the days they want to play? I can see his point when it comes to things like Clemens not being around th team on days he didn't pitch but those are by far the exception. Who else does that?

I can see why guys from his era are a little jealous. They can't help but think "If I was only born 10 years later.........".

Mickey Lolich is a guy that's notorious for always talking about how little money they made in his day.

Marqhead
08-21-2009, 10:06 PM
I agree with the individuals vs. team comments, but dredlocks and baggy unis? Please.

Eddo144
08-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I agree with the individuals vs. team comments, but dredlocks and baggy unis? Please.
Marq, have you read Ball Four; judging from some of your comments, I'd say you'd enjoy it (if you haven't already).

I think it successfully shows that Rice is full of ****, here. In fact, there's an anecdote about one of his teammates, the esteemed Carl Yastrzemski, that tried to organize a "superstars-only" strike because he felt he wasn't getting enough money.

So yeah, baseball players have always looked out for number one. Also the team, but rarely at the expense of themselves.

Viva Medias B's
08-21-2009, 11:28 PM
I can certainly see where Rice is coming from as far as Manny Ramirez and Alex Rodriguez are concerned, but just because the New York Yankees are financially generous to Derek Jeter does not make him a bad example.

Marqhead
08-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Marq, have you read Ball Four; judging from some of your comments, I'd say you'd enjoy it (if you haven't already).

I think it successfully shows that Rice is full of ****, here. In fact, there's an anecdote about one of his teammates, the esteemed Carl Yastrzemski, that tried to organize a "superstars-only" strike because he felt he wasn't getting enough money.

So yeah, baseball players have always looked out for number one. Also the team, but rarely at the expense of themselves.

I have not read it, but I'll certainly look into it. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever read a baseball related book. I guess WSI satisfies all my needs. :redneck

MarkZ35
08-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Baggy pants??? Look at how baggy uniforms were 100 years ago. Does he actually think that he is the only player ever to take extra groundballs? I really hope Jeter responds to these comments but I think he is to much of a professional to throw another great player under the bus.

I'm not going to get into whether or not players are over paid but why call out Manny, Jeter and Arod. There are hundreds of other overpaid MLB players. This just sounds to me like an outcry for attention.

Eddo144
08-22-2009, 12:07 AM
I really hope Jeter responds to these comments but I think he is to much of a professional to throw another great player under the bus.
He can still throw Rice under the bus then.

ZING! :redneck

Twins_Morneau
08-23-2009, 07:25 AM
What a tool, why doesn't he criticize David Roidtiz as well.

pythons007
08-23-2009, 10:10 AM
It sounds like someone is pissed he didn't have a big expensive contract. Put him in their shoes, does he turn down A-Riods contract for the better of the team? Give me a break. Rice congrats on getting into the hall of fame on borderline career marks. If you wore a different uni you wouldn't have gotten in. Now shut up and go away.