PDA

View Full Version : Jim Hendry had better find a job. The Cubs have been sold

It's Time
08-21-2009, 04:12 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/

We all know Kenny is the class of GM's in this town. This will be interesting to see if Hendry gets his deserved walking papers. He's got too much credit for buying titles.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-21-2009, 04:21 PM
With the signings of Soriano and Bradley looking better and better every day, I wouldn't be surprised.

jamokes
08-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Hendry is the problem, a close second in cubdom would be the length of Soriano's contract.

thomas35forever
08-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Finally. They'll probably clean house at the end of the season.

Fenway
08-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Welcome to TD Ameritrade Field

http://s.filife.com/be/company/images/TDAmeritrade.png

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-21-2009, 04:41 PM
He's got too much credit for buying titles.
You mean trying to buy A title, right?

Last time I checked, the goal was to win the WS, not the division then fail to show up in the DS.

And I can officially say it - the Cubs now have Ricketts.

thomas35forever
08-21-2009, 04:43 PM
My Cubs fan friend has "insiders" from WGN who say that Stone becomes the new GM if the Cubs miss the playoffs. Who believes that?

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-21-2009, 04:44 PM
My Cubs fan friend has "insiders" that Stone becomes the new GM if the Cubs miss the playoffs. Who believes that?

I think he might've been interested when he was working there.....but I'd like to think he's got a lot less stress getting time off to go home while calling TV analysis for baseball (White Sox and Fox nationally). I think his days with that Cub headache are over.

Foulke You
08-21-2009, 04:50 PM
My Cubs fan friend has "insiders" from WGN who say that Stone becomes the new GM if the Cubs miss the playoffs. Who believes that?
"Stone Pony" signed a 4 year deal to be the Sox TV announcer. I don't think he is going anywhere. Besides, why on Earth would Stone want to inherit that mess of a team that Hendry has made? There is no more money to spend, the bad contracts they gave to veteran players are all long term and back loaded, and their farm system has very little in the pipe line except for Josh Vitters. Stone is an intelligent baseball man but he isn't a miracle worker.

dickallen15
08-21-2009, 04:51 PM

We all know Kenny is the class of GM's in this town. This will be interesting to see if Hendry gets his deserved walking papers. He's got too much credit for buying titles.
Don't the Cubs and Sox have virtually the same record?

illinifan1368
08-21-2009, 04:53 PM
So????

oeo
08-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Yes, but the Sox are in a transition phase, while the Cubs are supposed to be winning now. Also, the Sox are set up much better in the next few years. The Cubs are a pretty old team, with a lot of bad contracts which will keep them from making any good moves for at least a couple more years. That team is only going to get worse.

WhiteSox1989
08-21-2009, 04:56 PM
don't the cubs and sox have virtually the same record?
cubs have less losses!!!!!!!!!!

GoSox2K3
08-21-2009, 04:59 PM

1. KW didn't have the luxury of just writing blank checks to fill holes in his lineup (Soriano, Lilly).

2. The Sox don't owe $90 million to a 33-year old fading fast, K machine/hot dog.

2. I'd love it if the Sox could fatten up on wins by playing the Pirates and Reds 18 times each and the Nationals 8 times.......and before you reply about the worst AL teams, the Royals, O's and A's are much better teams than the Bucs or Nats.

dickallen15
08-21-2009, 05:05 PM
1. KW didn't have the luxury of just writing blank checks to fill holes in his lineup (Soriano, Lilly).

2. The Sox don't owe $90 million to a 33-year old fading fast, K machine/hot dog.

2. I'd love it if the Sox could fatten up on wins by playing the Pirates and Reds 18 times each and the Nationals 8 times.......and before you reply about the worst AL teams, the Royals, O's and A's are much better teams than the Bucs or Nats.

The Sox get to play KC, Cleveland 19 times each. The AL Central is brutal, just like the NL Central. If the Sox were in any other division, their season would be virtually over. If Hendry, after 2 division wins and a record the same as KW's this year deserves to be fired, then KW isn't the GM you think he is. KW has had a financial advantage over his AL Central foes for a while. I'm not saying KW needs to go, just that Hendry isn't the idiot you make him out to be. The White Sox are trying to win every year. If you or anyone else wants to use "transition phase" as an excuse, that's fine, but that's all it is, an excuse, which is something that is used when the task at hand hasn't been accomplished.

dickallen15
08-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Yes, but the Sox are in a transition phase, while the Cubs are supposed to be winning now. Also, the Sox are set up much better in the next few years. The Cubs are a pretty old team, with a lot of bad contracts which will keep them from making any good moves for at least a couple more years. That team is only going to get worse.

A lot of people thought the same thing about the White Sox in 2007.

JermaineDye05
08-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Looks like the Jake Peavy deal will be right around the corner now...

Oh, wait.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wsmQgCGIMbQ/SnbragQq7VI/AAAAAAAAFhA/PajvKVXcdVI/s400/Jake+Peavy+White+Sox.jpg

thomas35forever
08-21-2009, 05:12 PM
The same friend's insiders say that either Sandberg, Trammell, or Brenly will become the new manager and Sandy Alderson the new president.

TDog
08-21-2009, 05:32 PM
The Sox get to play KC, Cleveland 19 times each. The AL Central is brutal, just like the NL Central. If the Sox were in any other division, their season would be virtually over. If Hendry, after 2 division wins and a record the same as KW's this year deserves to be fired, then KW isn't the GM you think he is. KW has had a financial advantage over his AL Central foes for a while. I'm not saying KW needs to go, just that Hendry isn't the idiot you make him out to be. The White Sox are trying to win every year. If you or anyone else wants to use "transition phase" as an excuse, that's fine, but that's all it is, an excuse, which is something that is used when the task at hand hasn't been accomplished.

The whole strength of schedule thing is overrated as a factor in a team's record, especially in the American League, where the difference between the top and bottom teams is less extreme. The Sox certainly don't fatten up with wins against the AL Central as they did last year and in 2005.

The Rays have a 17-15 record against the Central but a 27-18 record against the East. The White Sox have a 26-28 record against the Central and a 12-12 record against the East. And the White Sox have a 6-2 record against the Rays.

Everything is relative. The White Sox are in the thick of a divisional race, regardless of their record. The Cubs are not.

dickallen15
08-21-2009, 05:33 PM
The same friend's insiders say that either Sandberg, Trammell, or Brenly will become the new manager and Sandy Alderson the new president.

He must have the same insiders as anyone who subscribes to the Tribune. All those names have been mentioned before.

Tragg
08-21-2009, 05:34 PM

Why does he deserve to be fired? He delivered 2 divisions in 3 years to that organization.

Foulke You
08-21-2009, 05:42 PM
The Sox get to play KC, Cleveland 19 times each. The AL Central is brutal, just like the NL Central. If the Sox were in any other division, their season would be virtually over.
You are overestimating the talent level in the NL. The Phillies, Cards, and Dodgers are the only three very good teams in the NL. After those three teams, the dropoff is pretty big. I truly believe a slightly above .500 AL team like the Sox or Tigers would have a far better go of it in the NL. I won't argue that the AL Central is down this year but bad AL teams like the O's, Blue Jays, Royals, and Indians still have lineups that will punish you if you aren't careful. Have you seen the starting 9 for the Reds, Nationals, D'backs, and Pirates lately? They are horrible teams that even the inconsistent White Sox would walk all over. A perfect example of the lineup dropoff is the NL domination that CC Sabathia had last year and Cliff Lee has this year. Both were good Indians pitchers who got traded to the NL and became invincible in the NL. You don't think a Mark Buehrle, Gavin Floyd, or a Justin Verlander would get a similar bump pitching to the NL lineups? As I said, I'm not disagreeing that the Sox are fortunate to be in the race, I'm just disagreeing that they would be out of it if they were in the NL.

MarkZ35
08-21-2009, 05:52 PM
I agree with some of your points but the Indians had some pretty good players to start the year but weren't a good team overall. The Royals are bad but their pitching the first month was better than all the well pitched games either the Reds or Pirates will have the entire year. While I don't think any of the 4 teams are good, the weak teams in the AL central are much more competetive than in the NL central.

Hendry felt the pressure to win now and signed some players to awful contracts. I know that you can't expect the injuries they have this year but did you really expect Soriano or Bradley to be worth that kind of money? The money advantage is also in the Cubs favor every year. The Cardinals salary was 50 mil less coming into this year and 1/4 of their salary is to Pujols alone.

Noneck
08-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Everything is relative. The White Sox are in the thick of a divisional race, regardless of their record. The Cubs are not.

I wouldn't say the Cubs are not in it and being in the "thick of it" is a very relative term also. Both are in 2nd Place , one is down 5 in the loss column , the other down 3. In a week or less it could be flip flopped. Or maybe both will be "out of it"

SOXSINCE'70
08-21-2009, 06:51 PM
The Cubs now have Ricketts.

That must be very painful.:D:

TDog
08-21-2009, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't say the Cubs are not in it and being in the "thick of it" is a very relative term also. Both are in 2nd Place , one is down 5 in the loss column , the other down 3. In a week or less it could be flip flopped. Or maybe both will be "out of it"

The White Sox are closer to first place than any second-place team in baseball.

Frater Perdurabo
08-21-2009, 07:13 PM
The Sox get to play KC, Cleveland 19 times each. The AL Central is brutal, just like the NL Central.

The NL is a cupcake league. Just look at the interleague records again. The AL routinely manhandles the inferior NL.

oeo
08-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Hendry has put the Cubs into a mess, so he's not a very smart GM. The Cubs have won two straight division titles, however, where will they be in a couple years? My guess is fighting with the Pirates for the cellar like a few years ago.

Craig Grebeck
08-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Hendry has put the Cubs into a mess, so he's not a very smart GM. The Cubs have won two straight division titles, however, where will they be in a couple years? My guess is fighting with the Pirates for the cellar like a few years ago.
Soriano's contract is certainly an albatross, but whoever comes in won't be inheriting a total mess. Fukudome's had a very good bounce-back year, and Ramirez is a legitimate superstar.

1908<2005
08-21-2009, 07:29 PM
and before you reply about the worst AL teams, the Royals, O's and A's are much better teams than the Bucs or Nats.

The Cubs swept the Indians BEFORE they cleaned house FWIW

white sox bill
08-21-2009, 07:46 PM
So can the Ricketts family add more payroll to this team? We all know the infamous Wrigley propaganda machine will keep rolling no matter what.

I can't help but think times have to be a bit tough for Tom Ricketts given the state of this economy. Question is can he keep this goldmine going...

getonbckthr
08-21-2009, 07:48 PM
First let me start by saying I like Jim Hendry. I met him a few times and the guy is a class act and a joy to talk to. That being said he has earned his oppertunity to get fired. Sure they have won back to back divisions and I believe 3 uder his watch. However that was in a bad division with an unlimited payroll. He has made some horrible moves:

Soriano over Carlos Lee (imo a bad move)
Fukudome (thank god Kenny didnt get stuck)
Milton Bradley over Abreu, Ibanez and Dunn
Trading for Gregg
trading DeRosa
letting Wood walk (sure he isn't doin much but he would be better than Gregg)

08-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Everything about this post is stupid. Hendry is an idiot. He gives multi-year contracts to aging players coming off career years. Which team has the better young core of players? Which team has has better contracts?

Noneck
08-21-2009, 07:56 PM
The White Sox are closer to first place than any second-place team in baseball.

That makes them the only 2nd place team, in the the thick of it? I don't think so.

GoSox2K3
08-21-2009, 08:47 PM

Where did I call Hendry an idiot? :?:

Where did I use the "transition" excuse? :?::scratch:

Convenient way to make your point: Put words in my mouth and ignore the other points I brought up.:rolleyes:

tebman
08-21-2009, 11:20 PM
So can the Ricketts family add more payroll to this team? We all know the infamous Wrigley propaganda machine will keep rolling no matter what.

I can't help but think times have to be a bit tough for Tom Ricketts given the state of this economy. Question is can he keep this goldmine going...

The goldmine is only for the the Tribune. They're eventually going to get $850 million for their traveling circus. Ricketts is going to be holding an overpriced ball club and a crumbling building that needs hundreds of millions in neglected repairs. Landmark law and phony idolatry limit his ability to do what needs to be done, if he can even raise the money to do it.

Meanwhile, the Tribune's many voices (the various papers, the radio station, the TV station, the cable channel, the websites) will continue to crow about how swell the Cubs are because they just pocketed $850 mil. The bankruptcy judge will harumph and the MLB owners will prattle on about what a fine fellow the mysterious Mr. Ricketts is, and the frat boys will continue to drift between the Cubby Bear and the grandstand seats, not having a clue that a ballgame is in progress.

Maybe Ricketts will declare bankruptcy and find another pigeon to pay him even more.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Tribune Company still keeps 5% of the team and Wrigley Field.

Lip

thomas35forever
08-22-2009, 01:01 AM
To temporarily hijack this thread, the Cubs played in L.A. tonight and got one hit.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/profile_images/10414/HarryDoyle.jpg
"That's all they got? One goddamn hit?!"

Dick Allen
08-22-2009, 10:47 AM
The Cubs swept the Indians BEFORE they cleaned house FWIWWell, they won two of those games because Carrie Wood thought he was still wearing a Cubs uniform.

Red Barchetta
08-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Hopefully now that Tribune Marketing machine isn't backing the franchise, things will return to normal like it was in the late 70s when they closed the upper deck due to fans not showing up (gasp) to support a last place team. :rolleyes:

They really need to figure out what to do with the ballpark. Since they renovated the bleachers and the playing field, they need to shut the park down for a season, or two, and completely rebuild the main grandstands, etc. I doubt they would be able to seriously add capacity, however they could continue to market their quaint "beautiful" Wrigley Field image if they do it right. If not, I expect a new "Rickett's Field" somewhere on the north side in the coming years....

Craig Grebeck
08-22-2009, 03:35 PM
First let me start by saying I like Jim Hendry. I met him a few times and the guy is a class act and a joy to talk to. That being said he has earned his oppertunity to get fired. Sure they have won back to back divisions and I believe 3 uder his watch. However that was in a bad division with an unlimited payroll. He has made some horrible moves:

Soriano over Carlos Lee (imo a bad move)
Fukudome (thank god Kenny didnt get stuck)
Milton Bradley over Abreu, Ibanez and Dunn
Trading for Gregg
trading DeRosa
letting Wood walk (sure he isn't doin much but he would be better than Gregg)
I'd take Fukudome's production this season. He's been very good.

Hitmen77
08-22-2009, 11:37 PM

I'm not going to argue that Hendry should be fired. But to say that Hendry=KW because of their teams' current W-L records is a gross oversimplification.

KW does have some spending power that some GMs only dream of....but it's still nothing compared to Hendry's. The Cubs answer to their dismal 2006 season was to practically give Hendry blank checks. He's a genius!

The Sox have benefited from "payroll flexibility" of late by acquiring Peavy and Rios, but Peavy hasn't played for us yet and Rios has only been here less than 2 weeks.

Since you want to play the Hendry = KW game, I'd like to know what are his equivalent deals to trading for Danks, Floyd, Quentin, and Thornton?

Oh, and by the way, the Royals, Indians, and Orioles may suck but they are much better teams than the Pirates, Reds, and Nationals.

Hitmen77
08-22-2009, 11:40 PM
... KW has had a financial advantage over his AL Central foes for a while. ....

Did Bud Selig move the Tigers out of the AL Central?

RadioheadRocks
08-23-2009, 12:04 AM
cubs have less losses!!!!!!!!!!

Not anymore, they don't! :smile:

JermaineDye05
08-23-2009, 12:26 AM
The Cubs are now 8 games out here and we're near the end of August. The Cubs just couldn't hold off the Phillies or Dodgers and when they got a break to play the Padres, they lost 2 of 3. So far the Cardinals are taking care of business with the teams they have to and are playing adequately against the tougher teams.

Even though they are pretty far back, the Cubs aren't out of it yet. They have a pretty easy homestand coming up with 3 against the Nats, 3 against the Mets, and 3 against the Astros. They then go to NY and play 3 more and then onto Pittsburgh for 3.

What's bad for the Cubs is it can be tough to gain ground on the Cards in those games because the Cards have the Nats and 'Stros at home along with the Brewers and then go onto Pittsburgh and Milwaukee.

StillMissOzzie
08-23-2009, 02:14 AM

I doubt it. Not after the shot over the bow that Stone (and I paraphrase here) fired when said that he guarantees that the Sox would have won multiple championships if KW had the checkbook that Hendry had.

Meaningless comparison, unless you're someone like me who annually places a token wager with a Cub friend for best record. Cubs are now 8 games out and fading fast, the Sox are 2.5 out and still in the hunt.

Ryno managed for class A Peoria last year and class AA Tennessee this year, so making the jump to the big team level is hardly a stretch. Brenley has denied wanting Lou's job, although he knows the right things to say, having been in the managerial position before. If Lou were to resign or get fired by the Ricketts, that tune might change.

Hendry's biggest albatross is the time and $$$ left on Soriano's contract, the backloading on Bradley's deal, and deciding what to do with Zambrano.

And I don't care how well Fukudome is doing this year, I am still glad the Sox didn't get him. He supposedly turned down more money to play RF instead of CF, so he took the Cub offer...and they now play him in CF.

SMO
:gulp:

Fenway
08-23-2009, 02:26 AM
I think you will see the new owners follow the blueprint of John Henry - Tom Werner used in Boston.

Clean out the front office completly and start fresh. Certainly worked for the Red Sox.

I also expect the Cubs to go after Janet Marie Smith who was the mastermind of Camden Yards, Petco Field and the Fenway renovation. Her work in Boston is pretty much done and Wrigley would be another challenge.

You have to figure they will need a year away from Wrigley and perhaps splitting a season between The Cell and Miller Park. They got to do something before the place falls down.

DrCrawdad
08-23-2009, 07:09 AM
First let me start by saying I like Jim Hendry. I met him a few times and the guy is a class act and a joy to talk to.

Where did you meet Hendry, Cub Convention or some other Cub fan event?

:)

Lip Man 1
08-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Fenway:

JR has already gone on the record stating the Cubs will not be playing at U.S. Cellular Field.

My friends in the front office have told me he calls the shots and unless his decision changes it's not going to happen.

One went so far as to tell me, "they can play in Milwaukee..."

Lip

jabrch
08-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Hendry is being paid through 2012. Firing him now would be a surprise to me. The Ricketts family will likely set a direction for him - and direct him down that path. Just not sure yet what it will be.

The real question is if the Cubs make the decision to eat a bunch of salary, and start over. Soriano would have a lot of value if the Cubs were willing to year 50mm of his 90 remaining. Some small market team would likely give up a pretty decent prospect for Soriano and 50mm in cash. That said, Soriano has a full NTC - so moving him may be tough.

Brewski
08-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Fenway:

JR has already gone on the record stating the Cubs will not be playing at U.S. Cellular Field.

My friends in the front office have told me he calls the shots and unless his decision changes it's not going to happen.

Lip

I've heard the same, maybe from you at a previous time. It could be a negotiating position, the State who owns the place could have a say. It might be a good idea, make new friends for the ballpark. Risk of property damage from drunk frat boys, but could be to our advantage.

jabrch
08-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Fenway:

Lip

Lip - I agree that he runs the show - and his word would be final on this. But if the Cubs were really forced into it, the windfall to the Sox would be amazing. I can't see JR passing up on an opportunity to really improve his club at the expense of the Cubs.

dickallen15
08-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Fenway:

Lip

I think if Bud wants the Cubs to play at USCF, JR will let them.

jonred
08-24-2009, 10:09 AM

I don't think you invest $800M only to cut costs on the actual product. I wouldn't expect a big bump to Yankee levels, but Ricketts will invest in the club.

jonred
08-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Lip - I agree that he runs the show - and his word would be final on this. But if the Cubs were really forced into it, the windfall to the Sox would be amazing. I can't see JR passing up on an opportunity to really improve his club at the expense of the Cubs.

The Cubs are averaging 13,000 more fans than the Sox this year. You think JR wouldn't want the extra $21M ($20 per fan, which might be low) the Sox could generate? Pride be damned...

Zisk77
08-24-2009, 12:05 PM
The Cubs swept the Indians BEFORE they cleaned house FWIW

So did we...in Cleveland no less. The Cubs beat clev. in three walkoffs at wrigley.

Brewski
08-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Hopefully now that Tribune Marketing machine isn't backing the franchise, things will return to normal like it was in the late 70s when they closed the upper deck due to fans not showing up (gasp) to support a last place team. :rolleyes:

They really need to figure out what to do with the ballpark. Since they renovated the bleachers and the playing field, they need to shut the park down for a season, or two, and completely rebuild the main grandstands, etc. I doubt they would be able to seriously add capacity, however they could continue to market their quaint "beautiful" Wrigley Field image if they do it right. If not, I expect a new "Rickett's Field" somewhere on the north side in the coming years....

The retaining 5% ownership is for tax purposes. I guess it allows spreading the income over a longer period. Don't plan on Tribune not backing the franchise. Habits die hard. They could add upperdeck capacity on a rebuild. It's not very deep compared to the lower. New field? Not going to happen.

The buyer's waffling a month or so ago was nothing more than the Ricketts's holding Zell's feet to the fire to get a slightly sweeter deal, knowing they had him by the whatevers. Even CLTV said so. How's it feel Sam?

veeter
08-25-2009, 10:36 PM
I say, extend him!

WizardsofOzzie
08-26-2009, 08:05 AM
I don't think you invest $800M only to cut costs on the actual product. I wouldn't expect a big bump to Yankee levels, but Ricketts will invest in the club.

Where is he going to get the money to expand the payroll even further, especially with these back loaded contracts coming up?

Copy/Paste of a post I made on another board regarding the issue

"I want to know how Ricketts is going to be able to renovate Wrigley to the tune of 250 million on top of the 900 million they are borrowing in the deal.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...wrig07.article (http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/1654319,CST-FIN-wrig07.article)

The interest on the loans by itself is upwards of 30 million and I read somewhere that the Cubs netted 45 million in 2008. Add in all those back loaded contracts, and I have no clue how they are going to be able to do all the things needed, along with improving the team and stadium, all while attempting to payoff the principal of the loan."

slavko
08-26-2009, 10:05 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/1654319,CST-FIN-wrig07.article

More shops and restaurants. What a novel idea!

Steelrod
08-26-2009, 10:06 AM
FYI
Kenny and Hendry extended their contracts for 4 years this spring!
Add these to the other bad contracts.