PDA

View Full Version : Winning. Losing, and/or Rebuilding Year

kufram
08-21-2009, 09:48 AM
What kind of year does anyone think the White Sox are having? If you don't know yet, when will you know and what needs to happen for you to decide?

My own opinion is that we are in position to have both a winning and a rebuilding year. (I can hear the nay-sayers sharpening their keyboards!)

1) The regular play of Getz and Beckham mixed in with Nix's occasionnal results is a good start to rebuilding for the future. The signings of Peavy and Rios answered two big questions for the next few years and were masterstrokes by KW. A 5th starter is the biggest piece left to fill and I hope it comes from within the org. Of course if Jose/Freddie pitch like they can then that spot can wait to be filled laterand younger.

2) It is late August and we are 2 1/2 games out of the post-season having played below potential for much of the season. We have a tough schedule but Detroit's is no cakewalk as far as I can see and we play a lot of games with Det/Minn. IF the big 4 hitters Konerko/Dye/Thome/TCQ can put up lifetime average numbers from now we will score runs. IF the rest can keep doing what they've been doing we will have base runners. IF the defense doesn't make their mistakes at the worst times and the pitching doesn't tank we will win the division. That would at least make this a winning year. An IF too far?

Ok, tell me why I'm such an idiot.

P.S. this is NOT meant to be a why-is-this-team-so-inconsistent thread.

kittle42
08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
They're rebuilding because they've brought along young talent and added a few great vets at the end of the season.

They are winning because they're slightly above .500 and in contention.

I don't think any naysayers are sharpening their keyboards.

voodoochile
08-21-2009, 10:00 AM
It's nice to both be in a playoff race and working up some youngsters for future years. It's a luxury rarely seen around these parts.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-21-2009, 10:10 AM
It's nice to both be in a playoff race and working up some youngsters for future years. It's a luxury rarely seen around these parts.

+1

We are in no means out of it. Everyone would love us to be 15+ games over but we're still in the hunt for our division with a definite shift in on field talent for '09 and a basis for the next few years.

I'd like to see a series sweep by us now and then, but I'm not unhappy we're 2.5 out at this point.

eriqjaffe
08-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah, they're kinda doing all three at the same time.

It's not really a true rebuilding year, as they haven't shipped off any veterans for prospects. Letting guys like Crede and Uribe walk away doesn't count as rebuilding.

Hovering around .500, it's both a winning and a losing season!

kufram
08-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Yeah, they're kinda doing all three at the same time.

It's not really a true rebuilding year, as they haven't shipped off any veterans for prospects. Letting guys like Crede and Uribe walk away doesn't count as rebuilding.

Hovering around .500, it's both a winning and a losing season!

Yes, you are right... maybe I should have said successful/unsuccessful. To me winning the division in any way from where we are now would be a success even if we exited the post season like we did last year. I, personally, have a feeling that IF we can scrape into it we would be very dangerous for anyone to play in the post season

downstairs
08-21-2009, 10:18 AM
It is by far one of the most interesting times in White Sox history.

We're a .500 team. Face it, we are.

We have a very good chance of going to the playoffs.

We've stocked up on youth and a big-time veteran.

To answer your question, I think we're just "building". We're not tearing anything down. We have the foundations of a championship team. We're hoping to get lucky this year, and we expect to *truly* win the next few years.

Dibbs
08-21-2009, 10:26 AM
They are trying to have a winning year. Hopefully that is the case.

ode to veeck
08-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Yep right on the nose Voodoo. I am really enjoying this year's Sox team, even as they're inconsistent at times. I think the key is the defense and pitching getting better before the end of the season to catch the Kittens and do something in the playoffs. Kenny has built a team to potentially go somewhere in the playoffs not just get there. More than any team since '05 this one has the potential to do it (and yes more than the '06 team folks).

dickallen15
08-21-2009, 12:09 PM
The Sox are fortunate they are in a weak division. They would be out of any playoff consideration in any other division. Its something they need to take advantage of.

KenBerryGrab
08-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Restocking, not rebuilding. Doing that and competing for the division are more than can normally be expected.

UofCSoxFan
08-21-2009, 12:39 PM

I'd say it has been fairly more common under KW though. It seems we often trade for a guy to not only help us now but also to be around for a few years. The only difference is we are actually starting to develop some of our own talent for a change as well.

TomBradley72
08-21-2009, 01:43 PM
I think it's all of the above...I like the approach KW took of giving our prospects a real shot...Beckham/Nix/Getz have showed they belong...Fields/Anderson did not, Richard/Poreda did and provided trade material for Peavy. It seemed like part of that approach was to demonstrate to the White Sox minor leaguers that they aren't just being devloped as trade material but to be a part of the major league club. I think it was an important strategic/long term shift for the club and will provide beneftis by giving us more "pre arbitration" type salaries over the long term. I also think a steady flow of prospects can help KW avoid "patching together"a roster very off season through trades and FA signings which was the main approach in 2006-2008.

Adding Peavy, Rios, Kotsay, Pods to this roster in exchange for Richard/Poreda/Anderson is a major upgrade in our overall talent level....just brilliant work by KW.

Only risk is do we have enough time for this group to "gel" and win the division?

kufram
08-21-2009, 02:11 PM
I think it's all of the above...I like the approach KW took of giving our prospects a real shot...Beckham/Nix/Getz have showed they belong...Fields/Anderson did not, Richard/Poreda did and provided trade material for Peavy. It seemed like part of that approach was to demonstrate to the White Sox minor leaguers that they aren't just being devloped as trade material but to be a part of the major league club. I think it was an important strategic/long term shift for the club and will provide beneftis by giving us more "pre arbitration" type salaries over the long term. I also think a steady flow of prospects can help KW avoid "patching together"a roster very off season through trades and FA signings which was the main approach in 2006-2008.

Adding Peavy, Rios, Kotsay, Pods to this roster in exchange for Richard/Poreda/Anderson is a major upgrade in our overall talent level....just brilliant work by KW.

Only risk is do we have enough time for this group to "gel" and win the division?
No matter what happens with the rest of this season I feel good about the future for the team. The good news about this year is that one good winning streak could do it. What a time to be a White Sox fan. I go back to the Aparicio/Fox/ days and these days are full of possibilities.

The clubhouse "gel" is the most important ingredient in baseball. A team that has the right clubhouse atmosphere and pick up each other can do anything. That is the magic part that it is hard to know if we have at the moment. I hope so.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Despite the inconsistencies, the garbage that was on the roster at the start of the year, the bad defense and the lack of any reliable 5th starter if they win 82 games they'll have had a "successful" year in my book simply because they at the very least, survived it and won more games than they lost.

Next year though, assuming Kenny gets a pitcher and can solve the leadoff situation, the expectations will be different.

Lip

fram40
08-21-2009, 04:08 PM

I think giving youth a chance was the reason KW did not pursue Hudson. Not because he was cheap or over budget, just to give Getz/Nix a chance

He also knew the division was going to be mediocre and he knew he could take some chances (see Lip's posts) yet stay in the division race.

I look forward to these next 6.5 weeks - win or lose - to see the young guys grow, get some experience, and be ready kick ass next year.

kufram
08-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Despite the inconsistencies, the garbage that was on the roster at the start of the year, the bad defense and the lack of any reliable 5th starter if they win 82 games they'll have had a "successful" year in my book simply because they at the very least, survived it and won more games than they lost.

Next year though, assuming Kenny gets a pitcher and can solve the leadoff situation, the expectations will be different.

Lip
At least we're only one pitcher away from a very good rotation now. I think that unless KW can get a known quantity in a lead-off man Pods is worth thinking about a one year contract. His defense doesn't hurt THAT much he appears to be healthy enough and he really knows how to "be" a lead off. There ain't many guys that can do that.

soxfanreggie
08-21-2009, 06:37 PM
I think that we're in a down division, so we're in contention. However, we're making moves to get us better for the future.

Frater Perdurabo
08-21-2009, 07:33 PM
KW has reloaded on the fly and filled holes while remaining within striking distance of the division lead.

Waysouthsider
08-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Looks like a youth infusion (rebuilding) plus winning.....we're already way ahead of anyone's predictions and it looks like the team is set not just for this year but for the next couple....given that the boys kick it up a notch we could really be in great shape...obviously there are some concerns (bullpen-defense-occasional inability to hit the baseball!) but I think we could catch Detroit for sure...guess we'll know in about fifteen days whether this team has the guts to really get it done!