PDA

View Full Version : Your 2009 AL Central Champion will be...

october23sp
08-20-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm taking the White Sox. All this talent will get hot eventually.

kevingrt
08-20-2009, 11:11 PM

Hot? Lukewarm will win this division. And no more Aardsma

october23sp
08-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Hot? Lukewarm will win this division. And no more Aardsma

You have made my point even stronger.:D: Lukewarm wins it, we will get hot.

DumpJerry
08-20-2009, 11:13 PM
You left out two teams so I could not vote for the Royals.:(:

october23sp
08-20-2009, 11:15 PM
You left out two teams so I could not vote for the Royals.:(:

I thought about putting them in the poll but I thought, "Nah forget it, yo holmes to Bel Air!"

DumpJerry
08-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I would have made six choices, one for each team and one for "somebody else" just to see who votes for somebody else.....

october23sp
08-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I would have made six choices, one for each team and one for "somebody else" just to see who votes for somebody else.....

Maybe the Brewers would sneak in and take the crown.

GoGoCrede
08-20-2009, 11:20 PM
With Minnesota being 6.5 games back, I'd like to think they're close to being finished, but you just know they will live to annoy another day and make up all those games.

DumpJerry
08-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Maybe the Brewers would sneak in and take the crown.
They suck.

I'm thinking Charlotte. They have Daniel Hudson.

Hitmen77
08-20-2009, 11:27 PM
All I'll say is that the Sox should win it if they stop defeating themselves.

I don't care about the "tough schedule ahead". They've shown that they CAN beat top teams like the Angels, Yankees, and Rays.

It's up to the White Sox to stop making errors and other boneheaded plays. We have the talent, but I honestly don't know if we'll stop giving away ballgames in order to come out on top.

jabrch
08-20-2009, 11:28 PM

I don't care about the "tough schedule ahead". They've shown that they CAN beat top teams like the Angels, Yankees, and Rays.

It's up to the White Sox to stop making errors and other boneheaded plays. We have the talent, but I honestly don't know if we'll stop giving away ballgames in order to come out on top.

Pretty well said

Waysouthsider
08-21-2009, 12:03 AM
I had not seen this stat, but I heard it today, that the Sox lead the AL in "unearned runs".....could the defense be that bad? I guess they could be finished if that doesn't get shored up....you can see them breaking down mentally, but the numbers really paint a clear picture.

If they keep that up, then Detroit could be in for a quiet final month and a half.

MarySwiss
08-21-2009, 01:01 AM

Yep. This is kind of how I felt about the 2006 team.

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2009, 01:11 AM
I had not seen this stat, but I heard it today, that the Sox lead the AL in "unearned runs".....could the defense be that bad? I guess they could be finished if that doesn't get shored up....you can see them breaking down mentally, but the numbers really paint a clear picture.

If they keep that up, then Detroit could be in for a quiet final month and a half.
Hawk showed a very telling stat during Monday's broadcast. We have committed the most errors in the league. I think the worst has arguably been Alexei, and, if he cannot get it together soon, then Ozzie should be thinking of other options for SS.

hi im skot
08-21-2009, 06:52 AM

I thought you gave up on this season like, 16 times...?

:?:

october23sp
08-21-2009, 07:53 AM
I thought you gave up on this season like, 16 times...?

:?:

I gave up on it once in a gamethread in a game we ended up winning and before Kenny got Peavy.

hi im skot
08-21-2009, 08:10 AM
I gave up on it once in a gamethread in a game we ended up winning and before Kenny got Peavy.

Oh, right. You gave up on/hate Jenks.

harwar
08-21-2009, 09:21 AM
I think that it's a bit strange that we play the red sox 8 times in 15 days but i believe that we have the talent to compete with both them and the yankees .. watching the tigers broadcast yesterday(Aardsma was so annoying) it seems that Impemba and Allen think that The White Sox will crumble under the pressure of such a difficult schedule, but i think that the opposite will happen, and that the guys on our team will come together and play good ball .. those three games at the end of september against the tigers might be interesting .. as for the twins, i hope that they will just go away, but it seems that they never do

asindc
08-21-2009, 09:25 AM
... the Chicago White Sox.

Hitmen77
08-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Every time I think this team is finally going to get its **** together, they have sorely disappointed me.

This is a drastically improved team on paper since June. We have added Beckham, Rios, and got Quentin back. We expect to add a recent Cy Young award winner to our rotation for the last month of the season. We were able to add a valuable bench player (Kotsay).

That's a pretty dramatic mid-season improvement......and yet we're still playing the same level of baseball as we did in the early "Fields-Betemit-Wise-Anderson" days of this season. We're still hovering barely above .500 and a few games out of first.

Sorry, but I have to vote for Detroit. Now, I just hope the White Sox go out and prove me to be a pessimistic fool!

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Gee, Who's going to win the Central :scratch:

What do you think the answer will be?

voodoochile
08-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Every time I think this team is finally going to get its **** together, they have sorely disappointed me.

This is a drastically improved team on paper since June. We have added Beckham, Rios, and got Quentin back. We expect to add a recent Cy Young award winner to our rotation for the last month of the season. We were able to add a valuable bench player (Kotsay).

That's a pretty dramatic mid-season improvement......and yet we're still playing the same level of baseball as we did in the early "Fields-Betemit-Wise-Anderson" days of this season. We're still hovering barely above .500 and a few games out of first.

Sorry, but I have to vote for Detroit. Now, I just hope the White Sox go out and prove me to be a pessimistic fool!

Well since their low water mark of the season at 27-33 on June 10th, the Sox are 35-26 - .574 winning percentage. Yes, most of that was made up during their hot run right after that low point and since then they've just hovered, but at least as a percentage they appear to be doing better. One more hot streak might be all it takes.

spawn
08-21-2009, 11:35 AM
It pains me to say this, believe me...but I think it's going to be the Tigers. The Sox need to start catching the ball, and the bullpen needs a rest. I'm still enjoying the fact they are in a pennant race, but I'm not confident in them coming out on top in the end. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

Hitmen77
08-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Well since their low water mark of the season at 27-33 on June 10th, the Sox are 35-26 - .574 winning percentage. Yes, most of that was made up during their hot run right after that low point and since then they've just hovered, but at least as a percentage they appear to be doing better. One more hot streak might be all it takes.

That one hot streak was mostly against NL teams. Probably more of a sign of the AL's overall dominance in interleague play that the Sox actually "turning things around" for that period in late June.

But I agree that they have the manpower to go on a hot streak. The miscues have to stop. Also, is Jose back on track? If so, then that's huge. Is Paulie snapping out of his ice cold funk? Is Quentin finally back to his slugging ways? What's Dye going to do from here on out? What about Buehrle (who has struggled in many recent games)? Will Peavy come back and be effective? If all these things fall into place, then look out because this team could go on a tear........but that's a lot of question marks and a lot of things that have to get back on track.

Nelfox02
08-21-2009, 12:41 PM
I will cast a vote to Detroit as well, shoddy defense and a back end of rotation that kills any chance of getting on a roll (at this point I am assuming we will get at most a couple weeks of Jake Peavy, and assuming he can come back and be effective anything we get is bonus)

hope they prove me wrong

Rohan
08-21-2009, 01:02 PM
It pains me to say this, believe me...but I think it's going to be the Tigers. The Sox need to start catching the ball, and the bullpen needs a rest. I'm still enjoying the fact they are in a pennant race, but I'm not confident in them coming out on top in the end. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

^^ I'm with him on this one...

Prove me wrong, boys. I'll gladly eat my words.

october23sp
08-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Oh, right. You gave up on/hate Jenks.

Correct. But I don't really dwell on it that much. But I am not Jenks fan.

IronFisk
08-21-2009, 01:13 PM
I went with the Sox since I wanted to be the 69th vote :)

october23sp
08-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Is it still 80/20?

Viva Medias B's
08-21-2009, 10:51 PM
I voted for us to win the divison, but I am becoming increasingly convinced that we'll only win it if Detroit outstinks us.

Dan H
08-22-2009, 04:39 AM
I wanted to vote for the White Sox but I couldn't. Some things point to the White Sox winning it, but here it is, late August and the team is still hovering at .500. Sine the perfect game, the team hasn't looked the same. And the defense is horrible.

I hope they prove me wrong. But I really have more hope for next year than this one.

EnglishChiSox
08-22-2009, 04:42 AM
I wanted to vote for the White Sox but I couldn't. Some things point to the White Sox winning it, but here it is, late August and the team is still hovering at .500. Sine the perfect game, the team hasn't looked the same. And the defense is horrible.

I hope they prove me wrong. But I really have more hope for next year than this one.

Ditto, Detroit for me unfortunately, Sox finish within 4 games though

Whitesoxfan23
08-22-2009, 05:11 AM
I said a few weeks ago after the Sox tore apart the Yankees or somewhere around that timeframe, that they would win the division. The problem is with this team though, is when things are really clicking, and you invest alot of hope in them, they fall apart again.

I wanted to vote for the Sox really bad, but I just think Detroit (while a mediocre team just like us) is maybe a bit less mediocre, but not by much. I don't think they will run away with it, I just think they will win it. So I voted that Detroit would win.

NLaloosh
08-22-2009, 08:20 AM
There's a lot of talent on this team - especially when Peavy gets here.

But, they are not a good team. With the tough schedule that they have I do not see them finishing ahead of Detroit. Detroit just plays better baseball and does what it takes to win games and the Sox do not.

SOXSINCE'70
08-22-2009, 08:31 AM

:hawk

"Yyyyyyesssss!":D:

PKalltheway
08-22-2009, 11:51 AM
The Sox will be the 2009 AL Central Divison champions. Last year, I thought the Sox were done after getting swept in the Metrodome, and I told many of my friends that they were done. They all kept telling me, "they aren't finished yet, there's still time," and I didn't want to believe them. Well, the Sox won the division, and my friends were telling me "see, and you gave up on them!" I'm not giving up on them this year.

There's still time. There's still a month left. They still have a chance, and they still have six games left with Detroit. They will take this division.

pudge
08-22-2009, 12:40 PM
The Sox will be the 2009 AL Central Divison champions. Last year, I thought the Sox were done after getting swept in the Metrodome, and I told many of my friends that they were done. They all kept telling me, "they aren't finished yet, there's still time," and I didn't want to believe them. Well, the Sox won the division, and my friends were telling me "see, and you gave up on them!" I'm not giving up on them this year.

There's still time. There's still a month left. They still have a chance, and they still have six games left with Detroit. They will take this division.

There's a pretty big difference in the two scenarios. The sweep certainly hurt, but the Sox still felt like the better team who had just suffered a minor set-back. In this case, they have been inferior all season, have terrible defense, unknown 4th and 5th starters, and show no signs of being able to win the games they need to win to get this done. It all rests on Peavy it seems. If I was putting money on it, I'd sadly have to go with the Tigers.

Twins_Morneau
08-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I am going with the WHiteSox, I think with Peavy you guys have the best pitching staff.

OmahaSoxFan
08-22-2009, 01:21 PM
I picked the White Sox, but only because I have faith that they can do it and its a "homer pick," since I can't pick against my own team. If they continue to play the way they have the last two weeks, then they don't have a prayer. Right now sitting 3 1/2 games back of the Tigers with our upcoming schedule is not looking too pretty, but the Tigers haven't done much to prove that they deserve it either, its going to come down to which team gets hot at the right time.

If the Sox cannot take both of the last two games against the Orioles, then I will be switching my pick to the Tigers, especially since I think they will probably sweep the A's, who have sucked lately and who we SHOULD HAVE swept last weekend. I believe the Sox can do it, but will they do it, is the true question still to be answered. But anymore than 5 games out at this point with our tough schedule and it'll be "cleaning house" time for Kenny Williams.

JB98
08-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm not voting in this poll.

I hope the Sox wake up. That is all.

Madscout
08-22-2009, 01:37 PM
If we are 2 or 3 games back when Peavy comes back, I think we will win it, plain and simple.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2009, 01:55 PM
I still somehow think we are going to sneak into the playoffs.

Scots-Sox
08-22-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm hoping that it's not wishfull thinking but I can't see the Tigers continuing to sneak one run victories. Let's go Sox - it's ours for to take.

WhiteSoxOnly
08-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Detroit doesn't scare anybody but they're better than us,and have
been all year.We keep waiting for the Sox to get on a roll but they
continue to dissapoint.The Tigers have held us off all year so why
would anybody think the last 40 games are going to be any different
than the first 120+ ? Detroit is ok and we are mediocre,so ok is going
to win out.:raincloud:

kufram
08-22-2009, 02:41 PM
I don't think the Sox will win it because Jake Peavy is going to pitch a few games. They will win it if the team plays to their collective potential. They've hardly done that all year but even now are easily in striking distance. They will win it because they are playing the best teams in the league at the right time. They play to the level of their opponents, which is not a good thing, but in this case it could be the best thing for them... not the worst.

Domeshot17
08-22-2009, 04:06 PM
My heart says the White Sox, but what is scary is that what wins down the stretch is timely hitting (we dont have it), Defense (clearly dont have it) and the best bullpen (on paper we have it, but our guys are throwing like crap). Add that to the inconsistencies in the rotation and its just like last year, just backing into it.

GoSox2K3
08-23-2009, 12:00 AM
I regretably voted for Detroit.

In addition to the Sox throwing away chances to win a bunch of games, the other problem I have with our chances is the fact that we're going to have to trot out Jose Contreras and Freddy Garcia quite a few more times.....including perhaps 4 times vs. the Yanks and BoSox next week. :o: Mercy! That could get ugly!

We just have to hope that Jose's last game is a sign of things to come. If we can somehow hang within a couple of games of Detroit when Peavy comes back (and he comes back strong), then we at least have a decent shot.....if we stop making errors and idiotic baserunning mistakes! (that's a big if:angry:)

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 12:07 AM
I regretably voted for Detroit.

In addition to the Sox throwing away chances to win a bunch of games, the other problem I have with our chances is the fact that we're going to have to trot out Jose Contreras and Freddy Garcia quite a few more times.....including perhaps 4 times vs. the Yanks and BoSox next week. :o: Mercy! That could get ugly!

We just have to hope that Jose's last game is a sign of things to come. If we can somehow hang within a couple of games of Detroit when Peavy comes back (and he comes back strong), then we at least have a decent shot.....if we stop making errors and idiotic baserunning mistakes! (that's a big if:angry:)
As bad as the errors and base running blunders have been, this team will go as far as the bullpen allows them to.

GoGoCrede
08-23-2009, 12:11 AM
I just love the fact that Minnesota still has no votes. I figured somebody would vote for them, but it hasn't happened. Oh, well! :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
08-23-2009, 12:14 AM
I just love the fact that Minnesota still has no votes. I figured somebody would vote for them, but it hasn't happened. Oh, well! :tongue:
Timberwolf is banned.

soxfanreggie
08-23-2009, 12:21 AM
What, no Cleveland?

Hitmen77
08-23-2009, 09:51 AM
As bad as the errors and base running blunders have been, this team will go as far as the bullpen allows them to.

But one of the problems with the bullpen is that it gets overused when the Sox poor defense gives the oppenents several extra outs.......and the Sox poor offensive execution fails to give us a lead (or a comfortable lead).

Also, if Freddy and Jose can only be expected to go about 5 IP per outing, that's wearing down the bullpen too.

LongLiveFisk
08-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Yes, I'm biased, but I can't vote against my team. These guys can frustrate the hell out of you at times but I still believe they can get it done. :smile:

SoxandtheCityTee
08-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Games like Friday's tend to make me doubtful, but I try to shake it off and hope that 86-88 wins will be enough. After today there are 12 more series, plus the make-up game with the Flubs. So if they win today behind Burls, the Sox can lose one game in each three-game series, split the two four-game series (both with Boston), lose at the Urinal and come in with 87 wins.

Or they could go on a nice streak, or the Tiggers on a bad one, and make it easier on all of us!

Jurr
08-23-2009, 10:43 AM
The main point of all is this:

You don't want to back into the playoffs.

The Sox CANNOT get to the playoffs without playing good baseball against a tough schedule. If they can't get it done, they didn't need to be in the big dance anyway. BUT, if they CAN get hot and beat this tough schedule to secure a playoff berth, then that means the team could be poised for a SPECIAL run.

I can't wait to see how this plays out. :bandance:

russ99
08-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Talk to me after this road trip.

If we play up to the level of competition, we've got a good chance.

If we fold in Boston and New York and play like hangdogs in the Twinkie dome, we're done.