PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas Retiring in Sox Uni?

woodsdavid
08-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Lots of chatter during Cubs/Sox series broadcast.
Some talk after All-Star break.
Trade deadline has come and gone.

Is there anything new on Frank retiring as Chicago White Sox?

dickallen15
08-20-2009, 01:20 PM
He's pretty much retired. I don't see the reason any of these athletes have to retire in certain uniforms. It seems like a big waste of time to me.

jabrch
08-20-2009, 01:23 PM
He will go into the HOF with a Sox cap on his head. I don't care what pomp and circumstance they feel they need to apply to it before then. Frank is done. He is retired for all practical purposes.

getonbckthr
08-20-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm hoping on September 1st when rosters expand they sign Frank for the final month.

HomeFish
Does the MLB Players Union even allow one day contracts?

soxfanreggie
I would like to see a Frank Thomas Day, just as I would like to see an MB and PK day when they retire. For all they did for Fisk, I would do the same or more for #35. We will have one soon when they retire his jersey.

downstairs
08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Does the MLB Players Union even allow one day contracts?

I believe it still happens, yes.

Its dumb. No one remembers the one-day contract, especially considering the player doesn't PLAY in a game.

He's retired. He'll be remembered as a White Sox player, he'll be in the HoF as a Sox player, he'll have his number retired by the Sox. That's all that is necessary.

TDog
08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't see it happening.

People have been talking about the Sox signing Thomas to a one-game contract to get one final at bat, which I never believed would happen. If that did happen, it wouldn't happen until the rosters expand in September, probably late September.

As I understand it, in baseball, when you sign a player who is not under contract, you sign him for the remainder of the season. There is a minimum that would be prorated for the time remaining in the season. Because the White Sox finish the season in Cleveland, they would have to pay Thomas for at least four games.

But it isn't about the money. The Sox are in a pennant race and don't need the distraction. I'm a little surprised people are still talking about this.

35th&Shields
08-20-2009, 01:40 PM
If we we mathematically clinched the division, I see no reason why not to give him one more at bat. It'd be cool. And then have Frank Thomas Day and unveil the statue.

HomeFish
08-20-2009, 01:45 PM
If we we mathematically clinched the division, I see no reason why not to give him one more at bat. It'd be cool. And then have Frank Thomas Day and unveil the statue.

IF we mathematically clinch the division, it will probably happen only during the last week of the season. Perhaps even on the last day.

And if we do, we should probably focus on things other than Big Frank. Have him throw out a ceremonial first pitch in the ALDS like he did in 2005, maybe, but keep it at that. Then retire his number next April.

tacosalbarojas
08-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Honestly, leave the one day deals to Minnie. I can't see Frank suiting up in Sept. Could only serve as an unwelcome distraction.

DumpJerry
08-20-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm a little surprised people are still talking about this.
I'm not.
:welcome:

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Frank Thomas is not on this team. There is no reason to bring him back for an at-bat. There is no reason to give him a ring if the Sox win the World Series. None. He is done. Move on.

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm hoping on September 1st when rosters expand they sign Frank for the final month.

I was thinking the other day when Ozzie did not have a single RH option off the bench late in the game ..... lucky for us Pods got a two out clutch hit.

Frank for 1 AB in the ninth inning brings more to me than Wise sitting there as a #6 OF.

I actually would take Frank for 1 AB over Fields (assuming he's a September call up).

kittle42
08-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Waste of time.

TDog
08-20-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm not.
:welcome:

Thanks for the reality check.

The Sox are in the thick of an excited divisional race witout an outstanding offense and an outstanding pitching staff a season after winning one of the most exciting races in the history of the AL Central. They have an outstanding rookie third baseman, two brilliant young former first-round draft choices in their starting rotation and a veteran who pitched a perfect game a month ago. In September, they will add a former Cy Young Award-winning pitcher. Their designated hitter has as many career home runs as Reggie Jackson.

I should have expected people would still be talking about bringing back Frank Thomas.

Not to be insensitive -- I was a huge Frank Thomas fan when he played for the Sox -- but during the dismal 2001 season after Thomas suffered his season-ending injury and the Sox brought in Jose Canseco to take his pace, there were many times at the ballpark when I would hear fans saying they hoped the Sox would keep Canseco and dump Thomas in 2002. I don't know if any of them post at WSI eight years later, but I do know that Thomas' popularity with White Sox fans increased when they let him sign with the hated A's.

As for this season, I think the Sox have other things to worry about than honoring Frank Thomas.

tstrike2000
08-20-2009, 02:26 PM
No reason to sign him to anything. The Big Hurt will always be a member of the White Sox whether he's officially on the team or not. He will go into the HOF wearing a Sox cap and forever have ties to the team.

voodoochile
08-20-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm obviously a huge Frank fan, but unless the team actually thinks he can help them out and he actually will get more than a token AB, this is a bad idea and I doubt KW would go for it, not to mention the crap Ozzie would spew if forced to do it.

Wait until next year and have a Frank Thomas Day. Put his picture on the wall and if you can get it done in time unveil a statue. Then offer him a job as a roving minor league hitting instructor.

On a side note, I got to see Haaarold's last AB on a cool Thursday afternoon in 2001 (I think - it was the year I had a 27-game season ticket plan). It was a nice moment, but obviously the Sox weren't in a pennant race that year.

I like Frank, but winning should be the only goal the rest of this season.

JermaineDye05
08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Frank doesn't have to retire with the Sox, he already bleeds black and white. Whenever someone hears the name Frank Thomas they think White Sox, not A's or Blue Jays. He will be going into the Hall wearing a Sox cap no matter what.

What I'm wondering is where his statue will go and from what White Sox moment will it be? I wouldn't mind a statue of him holding the WS trophy over his head, however I think that one will be reserved for Ozzie.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-20-2009, 02:35 PM
On a side note, I got to see Haaarold's last AB on a cool Thursday afternoon in 2001 (I think - it was the year I had a 27-game season ticket plan). It was a nice moment, but obviously the Sox weren't in a pennant race that year.

I had the weekend season tickets back then and it was brutal watching Harold up there. His swing had gotten so long and slow.

Still, Frank will soon join Harold in having his number retired and a statue in the concourse. I'm honored that I got to see him play in his prime. Damn could he hit. As an usher in the park during the '94 season it was impressive watching him in batting practice.

voodoochile
08-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Frank doesn't have to retire with the Sox, he already bleeds black and white. Whenever someone hears the name Frank Thomas they think White Sox, not A's or Blue Jays. He will be going into the Hall wearing a Sox cap no matter what.

What I'm wondering is where his statue will go and from what White Sox moment will it be? I wouldn't mind a statue of him holding the WS trophy over his head, however I think that one will be reserved for Ozzie.

Frank's statue should be of him swinging the bat, head down, arms fully extended, front foot firmly planted. Something along the lines of the one in the forum headers, but obviously a full body image.

voodoochile
08-20-2009, 02:36 PM
I had the weekend season tickets back then and it was brutal watching Harold up there. His swing had gotten so long and slow.

Still, Frank will soon join Harold in having his number retired and a statue in the concourse. I'm honored that I got to see him play in his prime. Damn could he hit. As an usher in the park during the '94 season it was impressive watching him in batting practice.

That whole season was like batting practice for Frank.

DumpJerry
08-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Frank's statue should be of him swinging the bat, head down, arms fully extended, front foot firmly planted. Something along the lines of the one in the forum headers, but obviously a full body image.
That is how I always picture it. It will go on the LF concourse, that is the area where most of his bombs landed.

It should go on the Sox' on-deck circle to keep visiting pitchers nervous about who is up next......

VeeckAsInWreck
08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
That whole season was like batting practice for Frank.

True. But in BP it was 10X more power. He hit some BOMBS.

35th&Shields
08-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the reality check.

The Sox are in the thick of an excited divisional race witout an outstanding offense and an outstanding pitching staff a season after winning one of the most exciting races in the history of the AL Central. They have an outstanding rookie third baseman, two brilliant young former first-round draft choices in their starting rotation and a veteran who pitched a perfect game a month ago. In September, they will add a former Cy Young Award-winning pitcher. Their designated hitter has as many career home runs as Reggie Jackson.

I should have expected people would still be talking about bringing back Frank Thomas.

Not to be insensitive -- I was a huge Frank Thomas fan when he played for the Sox -- but during the dismal 2001 season after Thomas suffered his season-ending injury and the Sox brought in Jose Canseco to take his pace, there were many times at the ballpark when I would hear fans saying they hoped the Sox would keep Canseco and dump Thomas in 2002. I don't know if any of them post at WSI eight years later, but I do know that Thomas' popularity with White Sox fans increased when they let him sign with the hated A's.

As for this season, I think the Sox have other things to worry about than honoring Frank Thomas.

Um, I don't know about you but I am capable of "multi-tasking." There are hundreds of threads and hundreds of thousands of posts re: your 2009 Chicago White Sox. I don't think it hurts anyone or distracts anyone to have a single thread with a handful of posts regarding honoring Frank Thomas.

areilly
08-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Ah yes, one last at-bat, and it would be beautiful. I can hear Farmer already:

"3-1 to Thomas, Perry winds, here's the pitch. Thomas grounds to short, Everett's got it, tosses to Polanco, Polanco steps on the bag to get Konerko, throws to first. . . Frank's out by at least five steps, 6-4-3 to end the inning. We're headed to the eighth here in Detroit, no score."

No thanks.

NoNeckEra
08-20-2009, 05:33 PM
I actually would take Frank for 1 AB over Fields (assuming he's a September call up).
I'd would take Minnie for 1 AB over Fields.

SoxBears34
08-20-2009, 06:16 PM
I was at the game when hit hit the 2 home runs while playing for oakland. I picked the perfect game to be back in Chitown.:smile:

slavko
08-20-2009, 06:24 PM
I'd would take Minnie for 1 AB over Fields.http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:r_FYWDlQmsFVOM::www.reddstewart.com/minnie_pearl.jpg&h=80&w=120&usg=__c6oYB7zYw1WgytyE5hP3K8wWbBc= (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.reddstewart.com/minnie_pearl.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.reddstewart.com/minnipearl.htm&h=480&w=720&sz=36&tbnid=r_FYWDlQmsFVOM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dminnie%2Bpearl%2Bhat&usg=__5ulh0a90gbXcFLn7fsRF19rBp-Q=&ei=6syNSsyrM4niNd2ejLAK&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=7&ct=image)So would I.

Tell you what....I wouldn't oppose bringing him back and letting him soak up the love he deserves (through his very thin skin). Ozzie might be a hard sell, though.

MarySwiss
08-20-2009, 06:29 PM
I was at the game when hit hit the 2 home runs while playing for oakland. I picked the perfect game to be back in Chitown.:smile:

I was there, too. It was a COTC patio party night. And it was terrific; the tribure to Frank, the cheers when he hit the HRs, Mackowiak tying it up, and the win in extras! Made it worth missing the Metra and being forced to sit in LaSalle Street station for another hour-and-a-half or so! :D:

roylestillman
08-20-2009, 07:48 PM
I was there, too. It was a COTC patio party night. And it was terrific; the tribure to Frank, the cheers when he hit the HRs, Mackowiak tying it up, and the win in extras! Made it worth missing the Metra and being forced to sit in LaSalle Street station for another hour-and-a-half or so! :D:
Should have gone to the Sky Ride.

I originally thought that this would be a good idea but I'm rethinking with the distraction factor noted by a previous poster.

Frank deserves a day, retired #, statue and field reporter spot.

soxfanreggie
08-20-2009, 08:09 PM
I would have the statue day separate for any player, as it's another chance to bring them back to the ballpark-to honor them again. The only statue I would consider unveiling at her retirement is Nancy's. I sure hope they do a statue for her, as she has meant so much to the Sox.

Red Barchetta
08-21-2009, 09:45 AM

I doubt KW would doe something like that especially since we're in the hunt for a division title. We already have a crowded OF/DH situation, so I can't see bringing in Frank Thomas to the mix. Plus, I never got the warm and fuzzy that he and Ozzie were best of friends. Not that Ozzie would not be professional about it, however I don't see this happening.

Red Barchetta
08-21-2009, 09:46 AM
I would have the statue day separate for any player, as it's another chance to bring them back to the ballpark-to honor them again. The only statue I would consider unveiling at her retirement is Nancy's. I sure hope they do a statue for her, as she has meant so much to the Sox.

I agree. And the best place for the statue would be behind home plate where her booth was located! :smile: