PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most underappreciated White Sox player?

Whitesoxfan23
08-20-2009, 04:50 AM
I say Aj hands down. On Boers and Bernstein, they were talking with Cowley, how Sox fans take Aj for granted. I'd have to agree with this. The guy is a very smart baseball player, and I'm proud to have him on our team.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-20-2009, 05:05 AM
He's up there, I'm sure there are one or two in the same spot as A.J.

WhiteSox1989
08-20-2009, 06:15 AM
I have to agree. He's my favorite player, and even sometimes I forget how consistently good he is.

DumpJerry
08-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Dewayne Wise.

b/u Ramon Castro.

balke
08-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Tough call. Lineup wise, I'd say A.J. too. Dye was underappreciated in the 1st half, but he's struggling hard right now (Same with PK)

I think Thornton, Carrasco, and Jenks are quite underappreciated as well. Thornton is just sick out there, and is still going strong even though he competed in the WBC.

soxfanreggie
08-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Thornton is just amazing at his job. I think AJ is the one who is always talked about as underappreciated for what he gives us, but Thornton is up there as well. He's working "pretty cheap" too for what he's giving us out there. If we could add at least another year or two to his deal right now, I'd do it. He's going to command a LOT more money at the rate he's going once his club options are done. He'll make $2.25 mil in '10 and $3 mil in '11. I would easily bump him to $2.5 mil in '10, $3 mil in '11, and $4 mil club option in '12 with a $750k buyout. I think that's a decent amount right there, and a "bonus" in next year's pay for such a good job. If something happens before then, you have the club options in '10, '11, and '12 to end the deal at very little cost.

Kenny, do you have an asst. GM job opening? :smile:

soxgirl617
08-20-2009, 07:47 AM
I agree that Thornton and Carrasco are the two most underappreciated players.

AJ is also sometimes taken for granted, as is Dye, but IMHO Thornton and DJ are quite overlooked. The Sox would be in very bad shape without Thornton especially.

Hitmen77
08-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Dewayne Wise.

b/u Ramon Castro.

It was Brian Anderson until he got traded.

hawkjt
08-20-2009, 08:11 AM
AJ,Thornton,DJ...and Gavin. Gavin has been the best starter on the team this year overall. He had his bad stretch but he has been as consistent as Jose was in the second half of 05 since June 1. He should be on a long winning streak the way he has pitched,cept for the blown saves.

GoGoCrede
08-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Konerko. He's made some great plays at first this year, especially with some lousy throws from Alexei.

soxfanreggie
08-20-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm going to have to disagree that a player like PK (or Burls or JD as well) would be the most underappreciated. PK is making good money, has a lot of notoriety from the fans and media. His defensive skills may warrant more attention, but it's something that is brought up quite often here.

khan
08-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Josh Fields.

Dibbs
08-20-2009, 09:08 AM
This year it is definitely Carrasco imo. Over the last few years overall, I would say JD.

jabrch
08-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Amongst casual fans, I'd go with DJ or Thornton. Amongst more rabid fans, I think we tend to overlook the big guys. Thome is struggling - but still putting up a .380 obp and a .500 slg.

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Amongst casual fans, I'd go with DJ or Thornton. Amongst more rabid fans, I think we tend to overlook the big guys. Thome is struggling - but still putting up a .380 obp and a .500 slg.

I was going to mention Thome too...a lot of times people look at his average and K's and think he sucks but he continuously has a obp around .400 which is pretty sick. He also hits a "hard" .250 with lots of extra base hits and RBI's...I'll take that over an empty .300 average that is all singles with no one on base.

dickallen15
08-20-2009, 09:31 AM
AJ and Thome. Thome has been pretty good as a White Sox, and it seems people can't wait for him to dissappear.

Railsplitter
08-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I say Aj hands down. On Boers and Bernstein, they were talking with Cowley, how Sox fans take Aj for granted. I'd have to agree with this. The guy is a very smart baseball player, and I'm proud to have him on our team.
Hard to argue on this one.

Eddo144
08-20-2009, 10:09 AM
I was going to mention Thome too...a lot of times people look at his average and K's and think he sucks but he continuously has a obp around .400 which is pretty sick. He also hits a "hard" .250 with lots of extra base hits and RBI's...I'll take that over an empty .300 average that is all singles with no one on base.
Agreed. I had a guy in front of me at a game a few weeks ago tell me that they should get rid of Thome because "he strikes out too much," ignoring the fact that he makes fewer outs than anyone else on the team.

He also homered a few innings later.

A.J.'s a decent choice, though he's also overrated a bit by fans who do appreciate him. Castro's one of the better backup catchers in the league. Carrasco is a very good long relief man. Thornton has been awesome. I also think Dotel gets a bad rap at times.

kittle42
08-20-2009, 10:11 AM
The answer is Thome, and it is evident on these boards.

DirtySox
08-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Thornton and has been for a while.

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Octavio Dotel, by far.

People on this board flame this guy as if he pitched like Rick sucks White.

The guy IMO has been the most consistant guy from our pen right next to Thornton the last 2 years. If Pena doesn't get it together, we are going to miss this guy.

soxfanreggie
08-20-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't think there is a team out there who would want a .300 singles hitter rather than a .260 power hitter who has a high OBP and slugging pct in the clean-up position. It's like having a lead-off hitter batting .250 with 25 HRs and a low OBP versus the guy who hits .300 witha high OBP. The guy with the high OBP and average is the fit for the position.

kittle42
08-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Octavio Dotel, by far.

People on this board flame this guy as if he pitched like Rick sucks White.

The guy IMO has been the most consistant guy from our pen right next to Thornton the last 2 years. If Pena doesn't get it together, we are going to miss this guy.

Another great choice. Dotel is bashed here as if he is spreading the plague. Meanwhile, he's been our third-best reliever behind Jenks and Thornton the last two seasons. I think his 12 HRs allowed last season is all that people remember, though, not any of the huge Ks he's had.

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Another great choice. Dotel is bashed here as if he is spreading the plague. Meanwhile, he's been our third-best reliever behind Jenks and Thornton the last two seasons. I think his 12 HRs allowed last season is all that people remember, though, not any of the huge Ks he's had.

The guy misses a ton of bats, something we so badly need with the defense we have.

Plus, just like Thornton, the guy takes the ball every time called on and rarely has complained about an injury.

35th&Shields
08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
I have to agree. He's my favorite player, and even sometimes I forget how consistently good he is.

That's the key to being "underappreciated". We all obviously like AJ, but I agree that few of us totally comprehend the stability and consistency he gives to this team. Especially with his bat on fire like its been.

HomeFish
08-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I love AJ a lot, but don't a lot of statheads think that he is an overrated, if not horrible, player?

Historically I think that Dye has been underrated over the past few years, but I don't think that this has been the case this year. When he was putting up big numbers early this year he was very much given credit. I think that Dye is a bit of a quiet player and this is one of the reasons that he goes underappreciated.

TDog
08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I love AJ a lot, but don't a lot of statheads think that he is an overrated, if not horrible, player?

I've had statheads tell me Nick Swisher was a good baseball player despite overwhelming visual evidence to the contrary, but I've never heard anyone call A.J. Pierzynski a "horrible player."

In Oakland on Saturday or Sunday, Pierzynski came up to lead off an inning when there was no score and amid the boos, someone behind me screamed "hit him, he deserves it."

But on the White Sox, among White Sox fans, it would be hard to find a most underappreciated player. At WSI, everyone except for Gordon Beckham, the new toy (the Blue Jays already having taken Alex Rios out of the box), is underappreciated.

JB98
08-20-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't think it would be AJ. I see plenty of Pierzynski jerseys everytime I go to the ballpark. I think he's a fan favorite

Thornton is the most underappreciated, IMO. He and Carrasco are holding the bullpen together.

gobears1987
08-20-2009, 12:31 PM
DJ Carrasco.

I say it's him because players like AJ, Paulie, Dye, Thornton, etc are noticed. No one notices a long reliever. Without Carrasco, our bullpen and season would be shot.

Jim Shorts
08-20-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't think it would be AJ. I see plenty of Pierzynski jerseys everytime I go to the ballpark. I think he's a fan favorite

Thornton is the most underappreciated, IMO. He and Carrasco are holding the bullpen together.

Jerseys are the determining factor?

TDog
08-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Jerseys are the determining factor?

To gauge appreciation they might be. I've never understood the concept of wearing jerseys with other people's names on them, though.

In Oakland, it's kind of funny to see people wearing jerseys because they are just about all wearing jerseys of former players. Henderson jerseys are there, obviously (both for Ricky and Dave), but you see Swishers and McGwires and Cansecos and more recent departures. I even saw a Matt Holiday jersey.

MeteorsSox4367
08-20-2009, 03:52 PM
If Thornton pitched for the Yankees or Boston, he'd get as much attention as Papelbon. I think the guy is the glue to the Sox' pen and would have a hell of a lot of confidence in him as a closer.

As for AJ, I could live with that, too. He's one of my two favorite players and aside from being a pain in the ass to the opposition, he also knows what the hell he's doing on the field. Much of what he does is overshadowed by his reputation as a (bleep) starter.

ike from nj
08-20-2009, 03:57 PM
definitely not AJ

PalehosePlanet
08-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Flloyd, Thornton and DJ are the most underrated.

AJ, IMO, is the most overrated. He's our worst hitter in the clutch (.235 with RISP) as evidenced by his mere 36 RBI. He is also well below average defensively.

DickAllen72
08-20-2009, 04:38 PM
A.J. is the most underappreciated Sox player by far. People tend to overlook the fact that he's an "iron man" playing behind the plate day in and day out with minimum days off. All catchers take a beating back there, and A.J. takes his lumps and keeps on going strong.

He is a plus hitter for a catcher and is probably the Sox' smartest base runner. He calls a good game and is good at blocking pitches in the dirt. Yet his defense gets unduly critcized by many.

Although he has an average to slightly below average arm for a catcher, most of the stolen bases against the Sox are due to the pitcher and sometimes the middle infielder, yet he gets the brunt of the fan's ire. But the Sox haven't done much better when their backup catchers have been in over the years.

A.J. is also a "winner'. He is always finding a way to create a break for his team and often capitalizes on the other team's mistakes. Plus, he seems like a real leader both on the field and in the clubhouse.

I hope the Sox offer A.J. an extension and he finishes his playing career on the South Side. After that, I hope he remains with the organization either as a coach or perhaps up in the broadcat booth. I think he'd make a good coach and I'll bet he would be a great color man.

A.J. has been the face of the White Sox of the past five seasons.

NoNeckEra
08-20-2009, 04:50 PM
A.J. is the most underappreciated Sox player by far. He calls a good game and is good at blocking pitches in the dirt. Yet his defense gets unduly critcized by many.

I love AJ, but sorry to say, I feel he's terrible at blocking pitches, and is in the bottom 25% fielding catchers.

Most underappreciated, dispite his bonehead pick off out West, I'm going with Pods.

He has more clutch hits than anyone.

Waysouthsider
08-21-2009, 08:40 PM
SSIA....no one gives this team their due outside of the city....how can it be that the national media ignores this team with such consistency?

Among the faithful, I fail to appreciate Carrasco...he's done a lot for us this year....

ajgirl
08-21-2009, 09:10 PM
DickAllen72-You took the words right out of my mouth! I seem to have posted these same facts in one of my few previous posts.

AJ is by far, the most underappreciated player on our team. He is by far, the most consistant player in defense, offense and team play. IMHO

Pods??? He has been a definate spark for the team, but underappreciated, NO way.

Frontman
08-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Thornton is in my book. He's the guy in the bullpen when Bobby was struggling that I knew "at least he won't screw up."

AJ is a close second; but he gets his share of attention.

Frontman
08-22-2009, 06:00 PM
To gauge appreciation they might be. I've never understood the concept of wearing jerseys with other people's names on them, though.

In Oakland, it's kind of funny to see people wearing jerseys because they are just about all wearing jerseys of former players. Henderson jerseys are there, obviously (both for Ricky and Dave), but you see Swishers and McGwires and Cansecos and more recent departures. I even saw a Matt Holiday jersey.

Some jerseys I see as being silly, like Swisher's. But I don't think my wife went wrong with getting me a Buehrle jersey.

TDog
08-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Some jerseys I see as being silly, like Swisher's. But I don't think my wife went wrong with getting me a Buehrle jersey.

If Mark Buehrle had once (or twice) worn it, I would agree with you. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

I'm sure all the Huston Street, Orlando Cabrera and Matt Holiday jerseys I saw in Oakland weren't game-worn.

twinsuck
08-22-2009, 09:31 PM
AJ is a good hitter, I love that guy. :D: And I have his jersey, I love it.