PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Fan complains about Sox Media Bias

Thatguyoverthere
08-19-2009, 06:15 PM
I just heard the strangest thing. I was listening to the Score while driving and some lunatic Cub fan (that's what they called him after they cut him off) called in and started ranting about how the Cubs are a very good team, but have just had some really bad luck this year. He said to give Hendry a break, because there was no way to see Ramirez, Zambrano, Lilly, and Dempster all getting hurt, or Marmol, Soriano, and Bradley all sucking.

He complained that although Soriano is having the "exact same year" as Konerko had in '08, the media is being much tougher on Soriano this year. He also whined that the media has now been saying that the Cubs are done and would need a miracle to win the division, but they still talk of the White Sox's playoff chances despite the fact that the Cubs have two less losses than our Sox. He claimed that this Sox team is clearly going nowhere and that they have no hope of going to the playoffs. He also said that the Cubs still have a better record than the Sox, even though the Sox never lost Buehrle or Danks to injury. He also said the Cards were extremely lucky that they never lost Wainwright or Carpenter or Pujols to injury (even though the Cards DID lose Carpenter at the beginning of the season :rolleyes:). He also hated the KW love because he thinks adding Peavy and Rios are too late to help this doomed Sox team and that KW should be blasted for not acquiring them earlier.

At this point he was cut off, and the hosts (I don't know who it was, I'm not too familiar with the various sports radio guys) called him a deranged idiot who had clearly lost his marbles. It was hilarious to hear a Cub fan complain about media bias - I would love to see more Cubbie hearts crumble if the Cards pull away and the Sox take over the ALC.

Soxman219
08-19-2009, 06:37 PM
I just heard the strangest thing. I was listening to the Score while driving and some lunatic Cub fan (that's what they called him after they cut him off) called in and started ranting about how the Cubs are a very good team, but have just had some really bad luck this year. He said to give Hendry a break, because there was no way to see Ramirez, Zambrano, Lilly, and Dempster all getting hurt, or Marmol, Soriano, and Bradley all sucking.

He complained that although Soriano is having the "exact same year" as Konerko had in '08, the media is being much tougher on Soriano this year. He also whined that the media has now been saying that the Cubs are done and would need a miracle to win the division, but they still talk of the White Sox's playoff chances despite the fact that the Cubs have two less losses than our Sox. He claimed that this Sox team is clearly going nowhere and that they have no hope of going to the playoffs. He also said that the Cubs still have a better record than the Sox, even though the Sox never lost Buehrle or Danks to injury. He also said the Cards were extremely lucky that they never lost Wainwright or Carpenter or Pujols to injury (even though the Cards DID lose Carpenter at the beginning of the season :rolleyes:). He also hated the KW love because he thinks adding Peavy and Rios are too late to help this doomed Sox team and that KW should be blasted for not acquiring them earlier.

At this point he was cut off, and the hosts (I don't know who it was, I'm not too familiar with the various sports radio guys) called him a deranged idiot who had clearly lost his marbles. It was hilarious to hear a Cub fan complain about media bias - I would love to see more Cubbie hearts crumble if the Cards pull away and the Sox take over the ALC.

I'd never thought I'd see the day.

WSox597
08-19-2009, 06:41 PM
"It's gold, Jerry! Gold, I tell ya!"

That is hilarious, when you think of it. Could the guy be anymore out of touch with reality?

illinifan1368
08-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Call me crazy, but I'd like to hear this. Was it during the 4 o'clock hour?

Dick Allen
08-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Just when you thought Cub fans couldn't get any dumber. I guess the sky's the limit with those morons.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-19-2009, 07:10 PM
So Soriano has a hurt thumb which forces him to take god-awful swings at bad pitches and makes him misjudge fly balls in the OF? News to me...

monkeypants
08-19-2009, 07:34 PM
The call was originally from Les Grobstien's show last night/morning. Boers and Bernstien then replayed it this afternoon. The caller was a lunatic.

thomas35forever
08-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Maybe I know him.:cool:

soxfanreggie
08-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Hmmm, Konerko has helped lead his team to a World Series title, and he gets paid several millions less than the underachieving Soriano. Hmmm...I wonder why Soriano doesn't get any slack.

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2009, 08:16 PM
I would love to see more Cubbie hearts crumble if the Cards pull away and the Sox take over the ALC.
Hasn't that already begun to happen?
Just when you thought Cub fans couldn't get any dumber. I guess the sky's the limit with those morons.
Cub fan idiocy is limitless.

Eddo144
08-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Hmmm, Konerko has helped lead his team to a World Series title, and he gets paid several millions less than the underachieving Soriano. Hmmm...I wonder why Soriano doesn't get any slack.
To be fair, Soriano has helped lead a team to multiple World Series titles; it just wasn't his current team.

That said, Soriano's 2009 is not nearly as good as Konerko's 2008. They may have similar batting averages and slugging percentages, but 2008 Konerko had an OBP over 40 points higher (.344 vs .303).

pearso66
08-19-2009, 08:29 PM
I heard this guy. I thought he was nuts. I loved how he kept bringing up the Sox have 59 losses while the Cubs only have 57 so how can the Cubs be out but the Sox aren't. Someone obviously doesn't understand that records don't matter between the 2 teams, it matters in the divisions.

thomas35forever
08-19-2009, 08:33 PM
I heard this guy. I thought he was nuts. I loved how he kept bringing up the Sox have 59 losses while the Cubs only have 57 so how can the Cubs be out but the Sox aren't. Someone obviously doesn't understand that records don't matter between the 2 teams, it matters in the divisions.
Nuh-uh! The Cubs are clearly the better team. Only the records matter when determining who's better!

Woofer
08-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Les is a poster here. His new show is great to listen to after Ranger is done. They replayed that call sometime after 5, it was pure lunacy. The guy has some real problems, everybody knows there is only pro-Cubs bias in this town.

fram40
08-19-2009, 09:52 PM
To be fair, Soriano has helped lead a team to multiple World Series titles; it just wasn't his current team.

to be accurate, Soriano has never played on a team that WON a WS Championship. He has been on two teams that lost in the World Series, and he was also on a team that lost a 3 - 0 game lead in the ALCS

* assuming you discount his September call-ups with the Yankees in '99 and '00. He played in neither WS

actually - he was not on the 2004 Yankee team that choked, haviong been traded for A-roid.

slavko
08-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Poor Les. Capable of having an intelligent conversation with himself, the measure of any overnight host. Callers at that time of night have a tendency to be, well, different, for want of a better word. Better off talking to himself.

DrCrawdad
08-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Boers and Bernstein 4 PM Hour 8/19/09 (http://www.670thescore.com/pages/3578055.php)
Terry and Dan talk some White Sox after the pale hose win over the Royals and the guys play a bite of an angry caller arguing with Les Grobstein.

There were all kinds of cries of complaint about too much Sox talk on WGN Sports Central following Buehrle's Perfect Game too.

:whiner:

Eddo144
08-19-2009, 10:31 PM
to be accurate, Soriano has never played on a team that WON a WS Championship. He has been on two teams that lost in the World Series, and he was also on a team that lost a 3 - 0 game lead in the ALCS

* assuming you discount his September call-ups with the Yankees in '99 and '00. He played in neither WS

actually - he was not on the 2004 Yankee team that choked, haviong been traded for A-roid.
Ah, I stand corrected. I was thinking of this game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ARI/ARI200111040.shtml), in which he hit the go-ahead home run in the eighth, and for some reason then just assumed he was on at least one of the World Series-winning teams.

hawkjt
08-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I happened to catch that last nite also. Les, who is openly a Cub fan, but is a rational one who has been down on their chances since Christmas, really handled it well. Listened to the rant til the guy started cursing, then cut him off.

Les is like a huge relief compared to the old Score late nite programming.
He is not prone to total fandom for the Cubs and clearly likes the Sox also.

DrCrawdad
08-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Boers and Bernstein 4 PM Hour 8/19/09 (http://www.670thescore.com/pages/3578055.php)
Terry and Dan talk some White Sox after the pale hose win over the Royals and the guys play a bite of an angry caller arguing with Les Grobstein.There were all kinds of cries of complaint about too much Sox talk on WGN Sports Central following Buehrle's Perfect Game too.

I just listened to the show, was there a complaint about Sox Media Bias?

TheVulture
08-19-2009, 10:59 PM

Not to mention that Konerko at least provides quality defense when he's not hitting, and for his craptacular season still managed to keep his OBP in a respectable range, 40+ points higher than Soriano's pathetic .300 OBP that he's been maintaining this year. Or that he's given us very good seasons nine of the last eleven years. Or that he never insisted hitting lead-off despite being a prototypical 4 or 5 hitter ill-equiped for the lead off role.

WhiteSox1989
08-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Ummmmm..I listened to it. And I don't know, I feel like I lost brain cells.

I'm just confused. Why did he keep bringing up the losses for the both teams? What does comparing Soriano and Konerko do? I'm just confused..

StillMissOzzie
08-19-2009, 11:14 PM
I listened to about 45 minutes of the B&B podcast to get to their playback of that phone call. Let's see now, we have:
A preoccupation with Soriano's 7 All-Star seasons prior to 2009 as an attempt to mollify this year's disappointment
An uncalled for comparison to 2009 Soriano vs. 2008 Konerko
An even more meaningless comparison to the Cubs having 2 fewer losses than the Sox, in complete disregard of the games behind both teams are.
A Cub fan calling out the Sox for reckless spending for taking on Peavy and Rios this late in the season - smell any irony here?
B&B mighta cut the recorded version of the call short because I might have missed this media bias accusation. I think that most Cub fans would hear truly unbiased coverage and think it biased against them, though, compared to what they have become accustomed to.

Overall, it sounded like a guy who took out a home equity loan to bet on the Cubs winning it all this year.

SMO
:rolleyes:

JB98
08-19-2009, 11:16 PM
I listened to about 45 minutes of the B&B podcast to get to their playback of that phone call. Let's see now, we have:
A preoccupation with Soriano's 7 All-Star seasons prior to 2009 as an attempt to mollify this year's disappointment
An uncalled for comparison to 2009 Soriano vs. 2008 Konerko
An even more meaningless comparison to the Cubs having 2 fewer losses than the Sox, in complete disregard of the games behind both teams are.
A Cub fan calling out the Sox for reckless spending for taking on Peavy and Rios this late in the season - smell any irony here?
B&B mighta cut the recorded version of the call short because I might have missed this media bias accusation. I think that most Cub fans would hear truly unbiased coverage and think it biased against them, though, compared to what they have become accustomed to.

Overall, it sounded like a guy who took out a home equity loan to bet on the Cubs winning it all this year.

SMO
:rolleyes:

Cub fans are realizing now that they aren't winning anything this year, and they are starting to lash out.

WizardsofOzzie
08-19-2009, 11:18 PM
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/9732/colemanwtfll6.gif

Brian26
08-19-2009, 11:22 PM
That particular caller has a hard-on for Konerko because I've heard him call the Score before with the same schtick. What a tool.

Coolpapa
08-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Nuh-uh! The Cubs are clearly the better team. Only the records matter when determining who's better!Attendance is the only thing that matters. Tourist trap suckers rule!!!!!

LongLiveFisk
08-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Was that phone call supposed to be in teal? :scratch:

michned
08-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Nuh-uh! The Cubs are clearly the better team. Only the records matter when determining who's better!

Is that "Cubbie" blue?

MarkZ35
08-20-2009, 01:11 AM
That caller has BIG problems. That is what a bitter Cubs fan sounds like. I dislike the entire Cubs organization but I would never complain more about the Cubs then the problems the Sox have. It is almost like he believes that the Cubs problems are because of the Sox.

Thatguyoverthere
08-20-2009, 01:26 AM
I just listened to the show, was there a complaint about Sox Media Bias?He never directly complained about a media bias, but it was obvious from what he was saying that he felt the Sox were getting more favorable media coverage than the Cubs, which showed through in his Konerko vs. Soriano comparison, the record comparison, and the whining that KW is getting too much love while Hendry is being giving a raw deal.

rocky biddle
08-20-2009, 07:57 AM
That guy was a crazy person. He sounded like the typical woe-is-me cubbie fan who doesn't care about the White Sox, as long as you ignore when he's ranting about the White Sox.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-20-2009, 08:22 AM
That's an awesome clip. My favorite part was his not even listening to Les about DeRosa. He was set on his point and refused to listen to logic and common sense.

Must be a season ticket holder at Wrigley. No teal. :D:

cbone
08-20-2009, 09:39 AM
What a crackpot! Great clip! Idiot! :o:

UofCSoxFan
08-20-2009, 09:52 AM

Yeah that was unreal. The ignoring the Carpenter thing was pretty priceless too...he was like "Yeah but he hasn't been hurt lately."

The thing is with the Cubs and Sox too is look how different expectations were. Many thought this would be a bit of a rebuilding year for the Sox whereas everyone basically knows the Cubs have a 3 year window tops to contend before they will be a bunch of old overpaid guys.

SOXPHILE
08-20-2009, 09:54 AM
A guy who's favorite team is owned by a media conglomerate, which owns or has ownership stake in 7 media outlets in this town alone, complains about media bias towards the Sox ? What next, Ray Lewis & Pac Man Jones complaining that there's too much violence at strip clubs ? Michael Vick complaining that certain dog collars are mean ?

Uncle_Patrick
08-20-2009, 09:56 AM
There were all kinds of cries of complaint about too much Sox talk on WGN Sports Central following Buehrle's Perfect Game too.

On Chicago Tribune Live, Dave Kaplan said he received a bunch of angry emails calling him "closet White Sox fan" and stuff like that after praising Buehrle's perfect game.

jdm2662
08-20-2009, 10:00 AM
On Chicago Tribune Live, Dave Kaplan said he received a bunch of angry emails calling him "closet White Sox fan" and stuff like that after praising Buehrle's perfect game.

David Kaplan is probably the biggest Cubbie loving tool out there. That just shows you how clueless these people are. A perfect game is hard to ignore...

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-20-2009, 10:31 AM
While the call was interesting to listen to, B&B's discussion about Sweet Lou being gone after this year was just as entertaining.

ewokpelts
08-20-2009, 10:38 AM
There isnt a sox bias, but when the cubs are fumbling, the media attention they get turns nasty.

When the sox fumble, they use it as a punchline.

kittle42
08-20-2009, 10:45 AM
There isnt a sox bias, but when the cubs are fumbling, the media attention they get turns nasty.

When the sox fumble, they use it as a punchline.

Great insight, Gene. You are completely right. Look at how the Cubs are getting ripped apart right now - the Sox would never get that srcutiny if they tanked - just a bunch of guffaws.

Railsplitter
08-20-2009, 10:48 AM
:rolling:

Sox media bias? In Chicago? Your sure this guys wasn't talking about ESPN and the Faux Sox in Boston?

What say you, Red?
:dumbass:

PennStater98r
08-20-2009, 11:25 AM
but - but Cubs fans don't care about the White Sox at all

jabrch
08-20-2009, 12:31 PM
The call was originally from Les Grobstien's show last night/morning. Boers and Bernstien then replayed it this afternoon. The caller was a lunatic.

Yeah - Grobber dumped him when he called Les an idiot. His point was that Les' cristal ball that he used to project the Cubs to not do much this year was bull**** and that there was no way to see all the Cubs would play poorly after last year. He may be right - there were very few datapoints to get you there - but kudos to Les for making that call. I had them winning the division handily...shows how little I know.

But he was off his rocker yelling and screaming. Les dumped him - and B&B picked up the tape and made even more fun of him.

jabrch
08-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Great insight, Gene. You are completely right. Look at how the Cubs are getting ripped apart right now - the Sox would never get that srcutiny if they tanked - just a bunch of guffaws.

And a lot of "attendance" discussion.

PatK
08-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Konerko hurt himself hopping to catch a routine pop-up last year?

cws05champ
08-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Anytime you hear a Cub fan say; "We don't care about the White Sox as much as the Sox fans care about the Cubs". Play this call for them!

GAsoxfan
08-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Ah, I stand corrected. I was thinking of this game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ARI/ARI200111040.shtml), in which he hit the go-ahead home run in the eighth, and for some reason then just assumed he was on at least one of the World Series-winning teams.

Soriano played a few games for the Yankees in '99 and '00, but he wasn't on the postseason roster.

I was looking at his post-season stats, and they're just awful. In 44 games (174 AB), he's batting .213 with a .263 OBP. Those are Wise-esque numbers.

gosox41
08-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah - Grobber dumped him when he called Les an idiot. His point was that Les' cristal ball that he used to project the Cubs to not do much this year was bull**** and that there was no way to see all the Cubs would play poorly after last year. He may be right - there were very few datapoints to get you there - but kudos to Les for making that call. I had them winning the division handily...shows how little I know.

But he was off his rocker yelling and screaming. Les dumped him - and B&B picked up the tape and made even more fun of him.

Les picks the Cubs to be bad every year, or so it seems.

jabrch
08-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Les picks the Cubs to be bad every year, or so it seems.

History says you will be right more often than not.

That said, calling it this year took guts. As Les said, "If I had more confidence in it, I'd have cleaned up in Vegas"

What was the o/u on wins this season for them?

slavko
08-21-2009, 12:07 AM
It looks bad for them, but it's too soon to start gloating. Too easy to look like fools 6 weeks later.

soxinem1
08-21-2009, 12:10 AM
That particular caller has a hard-on for Konerko because I've heard him call the Score before with the same schtick. What a tool.

I wonder if he was the same cub fan who called in a few days ago and ranted on Jim Hendry for trading Jason Marquis, like he saw him having a career year in his contract year.

He obviously forgot that Marquis was the sixth man in a five man rotation based on his crappy prior FOUR seasons.

Gotta love hindsight-filled, after-the-fact, cub-fan, armchair GM's!!!

jabrch
08-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Gotta love hindsight-filled, after-the-fact, cub-fan, armchair GM's!!!

To be fair, we have more than our share of the same crappola.

asindc
08-21-2009, 09:14 AM
To be fair, we have more than our share of the same crappola.

Amen.

Foulke You
08-21-2009, 06:09 PM
History says you will be right more often than not.

That said, calling it this year took guts. As Les said, "If I had more confidence in it, I'd have cleaned up in Vegas"

What was the o/u on wins this season for them?
On one of the sports blab shows this morning they said the over/under was 93 wins and that the host had a friend who bet a ton of money on the under and it looks like he is going to clean up.

Big D
08-21-2009, 06:13 PM
And a lot of "attendance" discussion.

Yeah, we'll see how many fans are in the stands at Wrigley at the end of September after they're officially eliminated from the playoffs. They may have sold the tickets, but I remember quite a few empty seats at Wrigley at the end of 2006.

Foulke You
08-21-2009, 06:15 PM
He must have been near suicide when Konerko hit the grand slam in Game 2 of the World Series.

MARTINMVP
08-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Heard this caller live the other night. Les alluded that this guy is a regular caller.

StillMissOzzie
08-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I wonder if he was the same cub fan who called in a few days ago and ranted on Jim Hendry for trading Jason Marquis, like he saw him having a career year in his contract year.

He obviously forgot that Marquis was the sixth man in a five man rotation based on his crappy prior FOUR seasons.

Nobody could have seen the resurrection of Jason Marquis, especially in the thin air of Coors Field, but...Hendry did get to see Dempster have a career year in HIS contract year, so it's happened before. Just sayin'

SMO
:gulp:

TheOldRoman
08-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I didn't hear the first call, so I don't know what this guy sounds like, but I think this blowhard imbecile just called the Score about a half hour ago. Some moron went on about how the Sox "are struggling playing powerhouses like the Indians, Royals, and Orioles, and are one of only 13 teams in MLB with 60 losses" while the Cubs have only 59, yet "they are playing the funeral march for the Cubs", and repeated the number of losses about 5 times.:rolleyes:

TommyJohn
08-22-2009, 04:20 PM
I didn't hear the first call, so I don't know what this guy sounds like, but I think this blowhard imbecile just called the Score about a half hour ago. Some moron went on about how the Sox "are struggling playing powerhouses like the Indians, Royals, and Orioles, and are one of only 13 teams in MLB with 60 losses" while the Cubs have only 59, yet "they are playing the funeral march for the Cubs", and repeated the number of losses about 5 times.:rolleyes:That sounds like almost a repeat of what the guy on Grobber's show was saying-it just might be the same guy. He sounds like a guy who hates the White Sox more than he likes the Cubs.

Ron Karkovice
08-22-2009, 04:22 PM
That sounds like almost a repeat of what the guy on Grobber's show was saying-it just might be the same guy. He sounds like a guy who hates the White Sox more than he likes the Cubs.

Sounds like a lot of white sox fans on the vice versa. wink.

FielderJones
08-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Now that both the Cubs and the Sox have 60 losses, and the Sox have two more wins, will that shut this guy up?

KnightSox
08-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Now that both the Cubs and the Sox have 60 losses, and the Sox have two more wins, will that shut this guy up?No, here comes the Soriano/Konerko slump comparisons again.

DrCrawdad
08-23-2009, 12:32 AM
The Cubs, the team with "no holes," could very soon find themselves in 3rd or 4th place.

Cuck the Fubs
08-23-2009, 08:45 AM
The Cubs, the team with "no holes," could very soon find themselves in 3rd or 4th place.

I remember watching MLB network during spring training and hearing that nonstop...along with the division is in the bag. Um, yeah....

I also remember getting a text from one of my Cub fan buddies after the second or third game of the season when the Cubs beat the Astros 11-6 proclaiming that he wishes they would just fast forward to October.

I now text him that very same line following each Cubs loss....

DrCrawdad
08-23-2009, 09:05 AM
I remember watching MLB network during spring training and hearing that nonstop...along with the division is in the bag. Um, yeah....

I also remember getting a text from one of my Cub fan buddies after the second or third game of the season when the Cubs beat the Astros 11-6 proclaiming that he wishes they would just fast forward to October.

I now text him that very same line following each Cubs loss....

The Cubbie KoolAid had infected even a few here, as you couldn't discuss their holes without being pummeled. As it is the holes I discussed are there as are a few I didn't.

All the pre-season and early season talk about the Cubbies, hype.

Note to Cubbie fans and their friends, next season hold off on the boasts and taunts till your boys have actually accomplished something.

You'd think that a century + of suckitude would have taught that lesson and 2003's choke plus the last couple years but no. So I expect those lessons to be ignored again and next year when the Cubbies win their first game the KoolAid will be flowing again.

http://newt.org/Portals/0/UltraPhotoGallery/706/KoolAid.jpg

WizardsofOzzie
08-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Note to Cubbie fans and their friends, next season hold off on the boasts and taunts till your boys have actually accomplished something.

There is a reason so many people despise Cub fans. This is one of them. Once the fan base learns some humility, I'll cut them some slack.......while I'm dreaming, I'd also like Jessica Biel to throw herself at me :redface:

cub killer
08-24-2009, 09:29 PM
That's good, I hope to hear many more of those complaints from now on. This can be a Sox town if we'd just try hard enough.