08-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Jose Jose Jose Jose!!!!!!!!

SoxGirl4Life
08-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Did Jenks lose weight?

lmao... not this again

Marqhead
08-19-2009, 04:28 PM
The Sox are 4 back now right. Damn you Verlander and Grienke!

October26
08-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Great game, lots of fun again in the chat room. Sox win! Sox win!:bandance:

Edit: Jose was awesome today!

Crestani
All those nay-Sayers this morning saying this was an automatic loss! That's why they play the game!:bandance:

SoxSpeed22
We suck!
Anyway, good win. Let's beat the O's on Friday.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Nice to see a winner from Jose. Nice to beat Greinke. Makes up a little for last night's mess.:bandance:

Chicken Dinner
08-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Should be 2.5.

08-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Fantastic win. Let's take 2 of 3 from baltimore! And hope seattle takes 1 of the next 2 from Detroit. Jose gave this team a great start and saved the bullpen from overworking again.

bigdommer
I know that everyone at WSI thinks we should sweep every series, especially against the Royals, I am happy with 2 out of 3. On paper, the Royals had a pretty decent edge in pitching matchups, so a sweep would be tough. Yes, we still should have swept, but if you just consider the pitching matchups, 2 of 3 is an upside surprise. Now, about that Oakland finale.....

veeter
Nice, well rounded game. Great pitching, clutch hitting pretty good defense. I'm getting a little giddy about Alex Rios being on the club. Billy Butler and Mitch Maier are on my 'All-Gum-Cud-Chewing Team'. Good God, my jaws hurt after watching those guys.

VeeckAsInWreck
We did our part, now the M's have to do theirs.

SOXPHILE
08-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Befpre the game, I asked in another thread what the odds were of Jose still being on the mound in the 6th inning. Glad to be wrong.

Soxman219
LOL at people saying this was a automatic loss.

Crestani
Jose Jose Jose Jose!!!!!!!!

:)Comeback player of the year!

illinifan1368
08-19-2009, 04:33 PM
When will people learn to stop predicting games because of pitching matchups?

bigdommer
08-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Should be 2.5.

Isn't it 2.5 right now? I am confused.

veeter
08-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Isn't it 2.5 right now? I am confused.Yes, it's 2 1/2 right now.

voodoochile
08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Real solid win against a real solid starter. Didn't get a lot of hits, but made the most of the ones they did. Sitting on that fat curve seemed to pay off but maybe Greinke just had a bad outing.

Jose seemed to figure out how to prevent the defense letting him down, he just struck out a bunch of guys and only gave up three hits. If he can even be semi-consistent over the last 6 weeks of this season it would be a HUGE boost.

:soxwin:

:)

bigdommer
08-19-2009, 04:38 PM

Good point, but if you bet on Randy Johnson vs. the Cubs from 1999-2004, you would be pretty wealthy.

fram40
08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
I know that everyone at WSI thinks we should sweep every series, especially against the Royals, I am happy with 2 out of 3. On paper, the Royals had a pretty decent edge in pitching matchups, so a sweep would be tough. Yes, we still should have swept, but if you just consider the pitching matchups, 2 of 3 is an upside surprise. Now, about that Oakland finale.....

sweeps are hard but I would hope they are capabale of sweeping one of the two last place teams they face on this homestand

a 5 - 1 record heading into the tough road trip would be welcome

Rohan
Jose's still got it in him to be our fifth starter. Although I think we should give Sweaty Freddy another run out there as well.

Good to see Rios swinging the bat!

Chicken Dinner
sweeps are hard but I would hope they are capabale of sweeping one of the two last place teams they face on this homestand

We can't sweep. :(:

Red Barchetta
08-19-2009, 04:40 PM

We were three back going into the game. If the Tigers lose tonight, we're two back.

I was as upset as the next guy yesterday when we lost, however if we can just win each series, we should be there come the end of September. I would love a sweep and we certainly had our chances for a couple sweeps the last few weeks, however this one feels good all around.

voodoochile
08-19-2009, 04:41 PM
We were three back going into the game. If the Tigers lose tonight, we're two back.

I was as upset as the next guy yesterday when we lost, however if we can just win each series, we should be there come the end of September. I would love a sweep and we certainly had our chances for a couple sweeps the last few weeks, however this one feels good all around.

If the Sox take 2/3 the rest of the year, they finish with 89-90 wins. That should be plenty.

UofCSoxFan

Hopefully not soon...it makes bettting on baseball easy money in Vegas.

Last time I was there I cleaned up on the Sox as huge underdogs to Grienke and on the Dodgers as huge underdogs to the Cubs because the much better team had an unfavorable pitching matchup. People forget that huge discrepancies in team talent can negate how a good a starter is. Without looking it up, I would venture to guess that Grienke vs. the Sox, who have handled him quite well, has worse statistics than an average pitcher has against the Royals. In other words, an average pitcher turns into Zach Grienke when facing the Royals.

If your choice was Grienke vs. the Yankees or Contreras vs. the Yankees, you'd take Grienke, b/c the lineups are constant and pitching would be the only variable. Fortunately that is not the case. Bullpens and lineups play considerable roles as well.

KyWhiSoxFan
Real solid win against a real solid starter. Didn't get a lot of hits, but made the most of the ones they did. Sitting on that fat curve seemed to pay off but maybe Greinke just had a bad outing.

Jose seemed to figure out how to prevent the defense letting him down, he just struck out a bunch of guys and only gave up three hits. If he can even be semi-consistent over the last 6 weeks of this season it would be a HUGE boost.

Yeah, but this makes Jose the 4th starter, or at least keeps him in the rotation. We still need a fifth starter until Peavy is ready.

Personally, I would bring up Hudson for a spot start to take that turn instead of Freddy.

fram40
08-19-2009, 04:42 PM

the big three are lined up for the Os Sox bullpen is rested

TomBradley72
08-19-2009, 04:42 PM
My $0.02:

We seem to right on "the verge" of making a run....our last 3 losses have all been 1 run games that were winnable. Losing 2/3 to Cleveland and Seattle sucked...but winning 2/3 in Oakland and beating Greinke are pluses.
PK, TCQ and Rios seem to be heating up...having TCQ and Rios where we recently had Pods/Anderson/Wise is a major upgrade.
Adding Peavy to the "upgrade" story....we start to look like a very different team than the crew we had from April to mid-August...should be a fun final 6 weeks of the season!
At this stage of his career, Nix is "overexposed" playing every day...I'll give him some patience since he's a rookie (albeit a 26 year old rookie)....but I'm looking forward to Getz's return.
KW is a ****ing genius....just a ****ing genius..he's overhauled this team on the fly since Opening Day...Pods, Beckham, Rios, Peavy along with a rebounding TCQ...just amazing.

Chicken Dinner
08-19-2009, 04:43 PM
If the Sox take 2/3 the rest of the year, they finish with 89-90 wins. That should be plenty.

Under .500?

Sorry, I get it!

Mendoza Line
Now that's more like it!

Tragg
Sure. But taking 2/3 at home against this Royals bunch isn't quite the same as taking 2/3 at Yankee Stadium.

fram40
08-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Personally, I would bring up Hudson for a spot start to take that turn instead of Freddy.

I agree. That's why I am glad I ain't the manager

bigdommer
08-19-2009, 04:44 PM

I thought so too, but if you think about a series where you have to start a guy who had not thrown all year and another guy who had an ERA over 10 in his last 3 starts without getting out of the 5th, it tempers your enthusiasm.

I actually think a sweep is more realistic this weekend, with our best three on the mound, an off day at home, and facing a very mediocre staff and bullpen.

Chicken Dinner
08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I still say JD needs some pine time.

UofCSoxFan
08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Not to be too optmistic but our 11 game death march, while still difficult, may not be as awful as we once thought. Boston is in free fall mode right now, as our the Cubs, and Minny, although we struggle there, looks terrible as well. The Yankees of course are still legit, and any of the other teams could turn it around, but you have to play these guys sometime and it seems like we are getting them at as good a time as any.

Thatguyoverthere
08-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Sure. But taking 2/3 at home against this Royals bunch isn't quite the same as taking 2/3 at Yankee Stadium.Look at the bright side, since the break the only team that has been able to beat the Yankees have been our Sox, and we made them look incredibly average while doing so!

Also, Bill Melton said on the postgame that he believes that the Sox will sweep the Twins in the dome. IIRC, the last time we did that was in 2004, when Garland beat Santana 2-1. I'd like to think we can finally do it, but the Twins seem to take it up a couple notches when they play the Sox there, while the Sox do the opposite.

TomBradley72
08-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Sure. But taking 2/3 at home against this Royals bunch isn't quite the same as taking 2/3 at Yankee Stadium.

I'm not that worried about the road trip to Bos/NY...we seem to play pretty well in those parks and seem to rise to the occasion against the best teams. Place like the Metrodome, Oakland, etc. worry me more than Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium.

voodoochile
08-19-2009, 04:47 PM

There was actually some context to my comment. I made no claims to how easy it would be to take 2/3 the rest of the way.

UofCSoxFan
08-19-2009, 04:48 PM
My $0.02:

We seem to right on "the verge" of making a run....our last 3 losses have all been 1 run games that were winnable. Losing 2/3 to Cleveland and Seattle sucked...but winning 2/3 in Oakland and beating Greinke are pluses.
PK, TCQ and Rios seem to be heating up...having TCQ and Rios where we recently had Pods/Anderson/Wise is a major upgrade.
Adding Peavy to the "upgrade" story....we start to look like a very different team than the crew we had from April to mid-August...should be a fun final 6 weeks of the season!
At this stage of his career, Nix is "overexposed" playing every day...I'll give him some patience since he's a rookie (albeit a 26 year old rookie)....but I'm looking forward to Getz's return.
KW is a ****ing genius....just a ****ing genius..he's overhauled this team on the fly since Opening Day...Pods, Beckham, Rios, Peavy along with a rebounding TCQ...just amazing.

Great post. I'll second the Nix point as well. He's a solid 1 to 2 times a week guy and shouldn't and won't be used for more than that when Getz comes back...that's why I won't dump on the kid as much as others have been....and I say kid when he's a year older than me.

Tragg
08-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Also, Bill Melton said on the postgame that he believes that the Sox will sweep the Twins in the dome.
WE certainly need to do that; and we should - we owe them.
I was a lot more p.o.d losing that last game to Oakland than last night.

kittle42
08-19-2009, 04:49 PM

Seriously. The last one I remember being an auto-loss was Cliff Lee before we destroyed him.

Corlose 15
08-19-2009, 04:49 PM

Which is why the Sox need to sweep ****ty teams like Cleveland, KC, and Baltimore at home. That way they have the wiggle room to lose 2/3 in NY and still be winning games at a .667 clip.

Chicken Dinner
08-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm not that worried about the road trip to Bos/NY...we seem to play pretty well in those parks and seem to rise to the occasion against the best teams. Place like the Metrodome, Oakland, etc. worry me more than Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium.

:yup:

bigdommer
08-19-2009, 04:50 PM

I love KW and I agree that he has been impressive this year, but he is kind of cleaning up his own mess (no opening day CF/leadoff hitter, no 5th starter, questionable defense, etc).

veeter
08-19-2009, 04:51 PM
My $0.02:

I agree, I agree, I agree, I agree and I agree.

Corlose 15
08-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Look at the bright side, since the break the only team that has been able to beat the Yankees have been our Sox, and we made them look incredibly average while doing so!

Also, Bill Melton said on the postgame that he believes that the Sox will sweep the Twins in the dome. IIRC, the last time we did that was in 2004, when Garland beat Santana 2-1. I'd like to think we can finally do it, but the Twins seem to take it up a couple notches when they play the Sox there, while the Sox do the opposite.

It seems like that's the last time the Sox beat Santana as well.

GoGoCrede
08-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Sorry I missed this one, I was busy. Missed you guys in the chat!

This one was a pleasant surprise. You just never know in baseball. For those who saw the game, did Jose look solid?

Red Barchetta
08-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Look at the bright side, since the break the only team that has been able to beat the Yankees have been our Sox, and we made them look incredibly average while doing so!

I would love for the SOX to sweep them Twins our last series in that crappy dome! That alone should be incentive! :cool:

Chicken Dinner

This one was a pleasant surprise. You just never know in baseball. For those who saw the game, did Jose look solid?

Yes No and Yes.

asindc

He was kidding.

Thatguyoverthere
08-19-2009, 04:56 PM
The way this season has gone, it would be so White Sox to get swept by Baltimore, then take 3 out of 4 from Boston, 2 of three from the Twins, sweep the Yanks, then come home only to have a 1-6 homestand.

Corlose 15
08-19-2009, 04:56 PM
I love KW and I agree that he has been impressive this year, but he is kind of cleaning up his own mess (no opening day CF/leadoff hitter, no 5th starter, questionable defense, etc).

His solutions at this point in the season are better than anything he would've been able to do during the offseason. Plus, it's not like the Sox have been buried, they're fortunate to be playing in a very mediocre division and I think Kenny knew that going in.

35th and Shields
08-19-2009, 04:58 PM
His solutions at this point in the season are better than anything he would've been able to do during the offseason. Plus, it's not like the Sox have been buried, they're fortunate to be playing in a very mediocre division and I think Kenny knew that going in.

Kenny at his finest: Buy low, sell high.

Whitesoxfan23
08-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Great win today! I admit, I expected to lose this game. BTW, has anyone noticed Nix has a Swisher like approach at the plate? He's too patient sometimes. I love me some Alex freaking Rios!

DickAllen72
08-19-2009, 05:01 PM
The Titan of Bronze comes through big time.:bandance:

Jose certainly has plenty left in the tank. I hope he goes on one of his rolls now...:gulp:

LITTLE NELL
08-19-2009, 05:06 PM
My $0.02:

I agree with most everything you posted except the 1 run thing, pennant winners win the 1 run games.(59 Sox went 35-15 in 1 run games)

Corlose 15
08-19-2009, 05:07 PM
I agree with most everything you posted except the 1 run thing, pennant winners win the 1 run games.(59 Sox went 35-15 in 1 run games)

The 2005 team was excellent in 1 run games as well.

fram40
08-19-2009, 05:07 PM
For those who saw the game, did Jose look solid?

Jose was as solid as could be. A very impressive outing.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-19-2009, 05:09 PM

Jose had his forkball working today. And we missed you in chat also.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Absolutely amazing that Contreras pulled one out of his rear end today.

Baseball is a funny game.

Things look a tad better now.

Lip

Crestani
08-19-2009, 05:14 PM

Lip

Reads like a true white sox fan, happy one minute, ******off the next!:rolleyes:

fram40
08-19-2009, 05:17 PM

Lip

how many more times can he do it? and can the Sox get a .500 record from the #s 4 and 5 starters until he gets back?

hawkjt
08-19-2009, 05:18 PM

Lip

I actually was not that surprised. The last two starts, Jose had good stuff,til the 4th, then everything happened to him in one inning including,errors,walks,bloops,infield hits...and maybe one well struck hit.

I think he has been close. Today he had no errors behind him, one walk,and no freak hits. His margin for error is thin,but confidence is huge for him,and after today, he might just go on a good run. Tuesday vs Boston,who historically has hit him,is a big test. They also take a ton of pitches,which could kill Jose. He needs to pound the strike zone with all his pitches and make them hit. Then on to NY for his next start. Yikes.

thomas35forever
08-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Jose was outstanding today and the offense did its job. With our deadly trio pitching the Baltimore series, there's no reason to think a sweep isn't possible.

RhubarbStew
08-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Glad I read the thread. Based on the title I thought the Sox lost.

Whitesoxfan23
08-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Jose was outstanding today and the offense did its job. With our deadly trio pitching the Baltimore series, there's no reason to think a sweep isn't possible.

I wouldn't exactly call Mark deadly lately. He's been struggling alot.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Fram:

That's the million dollar question isn't it?

Lip

SOXSINCE'70
08-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Reads like a true white sox fan, happy one minute, ******off the next!:rolleyes:

White Sox fans come into the world sarcastic.
Their world is the ultimate roller coaster.Up,down,up,down,
up, down ;;;; Geez, are we riding an elevator or a roller coaster??
Like a roller coaster, the White Sox can leave many sick to their stomach and dizzy at the same time.
Too much White Sox baseball has been known to cause the following: High blood pressure,heart attack,
stroke, ulcers, and ultimately, death. :D:

Note: If you find yourself yelling "STRETCH!!" when a Sox player hits a fly ball to warning track ,
or screaming "GET ON BACK THERE!" when a Sox player hits a fly ball deep to left or right centerfield,
there is no hope for you.The sickness known as White Sox baseball has taken it's maddening grip on your body.
There is no escape.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-19-2009, 05:50 PM
White Sox fans come into the world sarcastic.
Their world is the ultimate roller coaster.Up,down,up,down,
up, down ;;;; Geez, are we riding an elevator or a roller coaster??
Like a roller coaster, the White Sox can leave many sick to their stomach and dizzy at the same time.
Too much White Sox baseball has been known to cause the following: High blood pressure,heart attack,
stroke, ulcers, and ultimately, death. :D:

Reading your attempted teal can cause blindness, cataracts, anger, and gas with oily discharge. :redneck

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2009, 05:53 PM
During the 7th inning, I made sure to take a picture of the scoreboard, because I didn't know when the next time we will be seeing Contreras pitching in to the 7th inning!

Great game, guys. We really needed that. Now let's sweep Baltimore, dammit!

fram40
08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Fram:

That's the million dollar question isn't it?

Lip

might be worth more than that to JR. If Jose pitches like this 5 or 6 more times (out of 8 possible starts?) they win the division. Winning a division has to be worth at least one million to ownership.

SOXSINCE'70
08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Reading your attempted teal can cause blindness, cataracts, anger, and gas with oily discharge. :redneck

I would have added those,but I forgot.:D:

Chez
08-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Just got home from the park. Not sure if this was mentioned in the game thread, but it seemed like Jose didn't drop down much, if at all, this afternoon. Anyone else notice this?

DickAllen72
08-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Just got home from the park. Not sure if this was mentioned in the game thread, but it seemed like Jose didn't drop down much, if at all, this afternoon. Anyone else notice this?
Farmer said he didn't recall Jose dropping down even once today but DJ said he remembered Jose dropping down just a couple of times, and those times he said that his arm slot was not nearly as low as when he usually drops down.

DJ then made this comment which I found a bit interesting and a little perplexing if accurate: (paraphrasing) "Cooper likes Jose to drop down, but if Jose thinks he can pitch better by staying over the top I hope he continues to pitch the way he wants."

TomBradley72
08-19-2009, 06:19 PM

I didn't have a problem with KW stepping back and really assessing what he had from our current prospects, etc...our defense is still highly questionable....if we don't make the play offs...it will be the reason.

But I'm glad he held back early in the year...Rios in CF for NOTHING, and Peavy to Richard/Poreda are better long term solutions than any other scenario I could imagine. I also give the Sox credit for how they handled Beckham and TCQ's rehab/bringing him along, etc.

SOXfnNlansing
08-19-2009, 06:40 PM
The way this season has gone, it would be so White Sox to get swept by Baltimore, then take 3 out of 4 from Boston, 2 of three from the Twins, sweep the Yanks, then come home only to have a 1-6 homestand.

I could see that happening also.

chisoxfanatic
08-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Don't forget the make-up game with the Cubs. :redneck

WSox597
08-19-2009, 06:44 PM

That's okay, we'll just have to win this World Series four games to one. No problem.

:D:

hawkjt
08-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Farmer said he didn't recall Jose dropping down even once today but DJ said he remembered Jose dropping down just a couple of times, and those times he said that his arm slot was not nearly as low as when he usually drops down.

DJ then made this comment which I found a bit interesting and a little perplexing if accurate: (paraphrasing) "Cooper likes Jose to drop down, but if Jose thinks he can pitch better by staying over the top I hope he continues to pitch the way he wants."

I only remember him dropping down a couple of times all day. Definitely is preferable that way. I cannot believe that Coop is encouraging it. Jose just needs to be told to only use it a handful of times in the right spot vs rightys...but to stay 95% over the top. Really think it helps to keep that arm slot just right.

JB98
08-19-2009, 07:22 PM
I thought it was interesting (and good) that Ozzie allowed Thornton to start the ninth. Get the favorable matchup and get DeJesus out. I like it when Ozzie manages by his gut, moreso than when he manages by the book.

Contreras was up to the task today. First win since 7/8 for Jose. He was long overdue. Excellent outing.

october23sp
08-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I really need to stop watching games, they only do well when I can't see them.

Nice win. Streak time?

WhiteSox1989
08-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Jose pitched well, and the Sox hit well off of Greinke...something many of you thought couldn't happen.

Get the O's this weekend, boys.

DirtySox
08-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Had a great time at the game. Had scout seats and wasn't too thrilled with the pitching matchup in advance, but was very pleased with the outcome.

I have yet to witness a loss this year and hopefully that trend will continue on Friday.

slavko
08-19-2009, 07:35 PM
I thought it was interesting (and good) that Ozzie allowed Thornton to start the ninth. Get the favorable matchup and get DeJesus out. I like it when Ozzie manages by his gut, moreso than when he manages by the book.

Contreras was up to the task today. First win since 7/8 for Jose. He was long overdue. Excellent outing.

But...Lefty/lefty IS going by the book. Otherwise I liked it as you did. Mercifully quick game around 2:20, got me to the train and home before the weather changed. Dye's bat looks slow. JC was around the plate all day, couldn't see the arm angle, know he's pitched well from the low angle before. Only single was a "leg" hit by PK, the others all extra bases. Rios is a good looking player, DiMag comparison someone made might be apt.

Off topic, Farnsworth has traveled a path from arrogant Cubbie wunderkind to back of the Royals bullpen. I was hoping the meat of our order could light him up.

Good to see a win in an afternoon game, my record in them is horrrrrrible.

Whitesoxfan23
08-19-2009, 07:41 PM
For those who were able to watch the game, Who was raising their hands and celebrating in the bullpen when Rios hit that HR? I saw it for a second on MLB Network, but couldn't figure it out. I think it was either Dotel or Pena.

JB98
08-19-2009, 07:47 PM
But...Lefty/lefty IS going by the book. Otherwise I liked it as you did. Mercifully quick game around 2:20, got me to the train and home before the weather changed. Dye's bat looks slow. JC was around the plate all day, couldn't see the arm angle, know he's pitched well from the low angle before. Only single was a "leg" hit by PK, the others all extra bases. Rios is a good looking player, DiMag comparison someone made might be apt.

Off topic, Farnsworth has traveled a path from arrogant Cubbie wunderkind to back of the Royals bullpen. I was hoping the meat of our order could light him up.

Good to see a win in an afternoon game, my record in them is horrrrrrible.

Not in that situation. The conventional wisdom around baseball is you always let your closer start the ninth inning no matter what.

Johnny Mostil
08-19-2009, 07:54 PM
maybe Greinke just had a bad outing.

That's what he seems to think. Check out his quotes at http://bit.ly/NGaVO (http://bit.ly/NGaVO) about the Sox not having a chance when he makes his pitches. Interesting talk from somebody whose team has lost the last three he started against the Sox. (Such a fine whine. Not.)

johnnyg83
08-19-2009, 07:56 PM
For those who were able to watch the game, Who was raising their hands and celebrating in the bullpen when Rios hit that HR? I saw it for a second on MLB Network, but couldn't figure it out. I think it was either Dotel or Pena.

Dotel

soxfanreggie
08-19-2009, 08:01 PM
#26 Octavio Dotel. I caught the jersey number while watching at the gym.

TDog
08-19-2009, 08:10 PM

The Sox have played the A's tougher in Oakland the last couple of years than they have played them in Chicago. This year and last they won two out of three in Oakland. In 2007, they won two of three from the A's in their first series in Oakland. Granted, all three of the losses in those three series came in the bottom of the ninth.

That's not so bad considering what the A's did to the Twins in their last trip to Oakland this year. The Twins went 3-4 overall in Oakland this year, including a split of an early four-game series. The Tigers lost two of three to the A's in Oakland at the end of June and beginning of July and have another three-game series in the East Bay coming up this weekend. (Unfortunately, the pitching matchups heavily favor the Tigers, but Gio Gonzalez actually did beat the Yankees and Andy Pettite this year.)

The Sox had a four-game winning streak in Oakland before Sunday game.

As for today's Sox game, I had no doubt the Sox could get to Greinke. My only question was whether Contreras would keep the Sox in the game long enough for the bullpen to bring home a win. I was impressed.

DickAllen72
08-19-2009, 08:47 PM
I only remember him dropping down a couple of times all day. Definitely is preferable that way. I cannot believe that Coop is encouraging it. Jose just needs to be told to only use it a handful of times in the right spot vs rightys...but to stay 95% over the top. Really think it helps to keep that arm slot just right.
Absolutely. It's clear that when he stays over the top he's a dominating pitcher. When he drops down more than just for an occasional change of pace, he seems to lose command and his breaking pitches flatten out. It's amazing that everyone can see this and yet up until today he continued to pitch from the lower arm slots too frequently.

I don't know if it's a physical problem he's covering or just a mental block.

I'm a big Jose Contreras fan and I have a lot of faith in him that if he can stay pitching over the top he can still be a dominating pitcher.

WhiteSox1989
08-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Absolutely. It's clear that when he stays over the top he's a dominating pitcher. When he drops down more than just for an occasional change of pace, he seems to lose command and his breaking pitches flatten out. It's amazing that everyone can see this and yet up until today he continued to pitch from the lower arm slots too frequently.

I don't know if it's a physical problem he's covering or just a mental block.

I'm a big Jose Contreras fan and I have a lot of faith in him that if he can stay pitching over the top he can still be a dominating pitcher.

You can thank El Duque. :redneck

I'm a huge fan of Contreras as well, and it made me VERY happy to see him succeed today.

LongLiveFisk
08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
They won because I was there. They never lose when I'm in attendance.

Seriously though, it was an awesome game to be at...I just wish Jose could pitch like this all the time! :cool:

ShoelessJoeS
08-19-2009, 09:40 PM
They won because I was there. They never lose when I'm in attendance.

Seriously though, it was an awesome game to be at...I just wish Jose could pitch like this all the time! :cool:What do you guys say we all chip in and get this girl some season tickets? :redneck

LongLiveFisk
08-19-2009, 09:41 PM
What do you guys say we all chip in and get this girl some season tickets? :redneck

I'm for that! :wink:

doublem23
08-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Seriously. The last one I remember being an auto-loss was Cliff Lee before we destroyed him.

Something about Jeremy Sowers being an automatic win, too.

hawkjt
08-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Something about Jeremy Sowers being an automatic win, too.

Tiger fans sound like us last nite..they are struggling with the concept that Jose beat Greinke and Verlander lost to Shnell....and are saying that is all evens out cus they upset King Felix last nite with a miracle 8th inning rally...darn.

KenBerryGrab
08-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Stay classy, Greinke.

"When you make your pitches, they don't have a chance," said Greinke, whose ERA rose to 2.44. "If I executed a pitch, it was an out or a swing-and-miss. When I didn't, it was a double or a home run."

hawkjt
08-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Stay classy, Greinke.

"When you make your pitches, they don't have a chance," said Greinke, whose ERA rose to 2.44. "If I executed a pitch, it was an out or a swing-and-miss. When I didn't, it was a double or a home run."

Yes, I caught that quote from Greinke...seems the young man has an issue with the Sox...maybe beating him the last three starts has put a burr under his saddle, but as Hawk has always said...he likes to pitch inside and does not mind hitting batters one bit.

I bet the Sox also ''filed'' those comments along with the hit batters this season from Greinke, and at some point, he will get his.

Hitmen77
08-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Konerko's second 2-hit game in a row. Also, Quentin with his second HR in as many games. We need these guys if we're going to take the division. So, this is definitely encouraging.

Dye? Well, he had been coming around in recent games until going 0-8 over the last two.

voodoochile
08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Yes, I caught that quote from Greinke...seems the young man has an issue with the Sox...maybe beating him the last three starts has put a burr under his saddle, but as Hawk has always said...he likes to pitch inside and does not mind hitting batters one bit.

I bet the Sox also ''filed'' those comments along with the hit batters this season from Greinke, and at some point, he will get his.

They showed his stats yesterday during the game. Lifetime he's 5-9 (now 10) against the Sox with pedestrian 4.5 ERA.

Sour grapes...

jdm2662
08-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Stay classy, Greinke.

I don't see a problem with this quote. AJ said the same thing yesterday after the game. Grienke gives you one pitch per at bat to hit. You have to jump on it when you get it. If you miss it, you are screwed. That's exactly what happened yesterday.

jdm2662
08-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Well, Grienke is like Verlander to the Sox. Both of them have had some dominating starts in between many more ass kickings.

I do know he has an issue with AJ. They both went to rivial high schools. Of course, AJ's career batting average against him may have something to do with that as well...

JB98
08-20-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't see a problem with this quote. AJ said the same thing yesterday after the game. Grienke gives you one pitch per at bat to hit. You have to jump on it when you get it. If you miss it, you are screwed. That's exactly what happened yesterday.

Agreed. As a matter of fact, I thought the quote was spot on. When Greinke made quality pitches, he got outs. He also made some mistakes, and a couple of them ended up in the seats. Another one got hit off the foul pole.

jabrch
08-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Agreed. As a matter of fact, I thought the quote was spot on. When Greinke made quality pitches, he got outs. He also made some mistakes, and a couple of them ended up in the seats. Another one got hit off the foul pole.

And isn't that true of most good pitchers?

thedudeabides
08-20-2009, 02:41 PM

Absolutely. When he hits his spots, they aren't going to hit him.

I noticed KC was throwing a lot of curveballs this week, and hung quite a few. Meche was starting off a ton of hitters with a get me over breaking ball, especially when he was in tight spots. The Sox seemed aware of this and took advantage of it. Not enough Tue., but they were all over Meche.

JB98
08-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Yes. That's why the quote is not offensive.

hawkjt
08-20-2009, 07:07 PM
The full quote in the trib was:

''Overall, I made a lot of really good pitches. I just had a couple of really bad pitches. It seems thats how this team(Sox) is. When you make your pitches they don't have a chance. But when you make a mistake,you pay.''

To me, that is basically giving the opponent zero credit for being good hitters...they have no chance?