PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think this is odd?

Iwritecode
06-07-2002, 01:17 PM
We have to root for the Mets (over the Jndjans), the Marlins (over the Twins) and the Mariners (over the Cubs) for the next three nights. Inter-league play sure makes things interesting...

And of course the Sox over Montreal. What's with all these 'M' names?

KingXerxes
06-07-2002, 02:36 PM
Does inter-league play make things interesting? I guess the answer to that would be yes - but I'm not sure that's the right question. Giving centerfielders Gatling guns and allowing them to shoot at opposing baserunners would be interesting also, but I don't want to see it.

Does inter-league play make baseball a better game? is probably the correct question - and to that the answer (IMHO) is a resounding no.

It's a gimmick. A gimmick which is wearing thinner and thinner with each passing year, and that's here in Chicago where the White Sox have a huge crosstown rival - think if you lived in Seattle or Denver which don't even have geographic rivals. It was an ill conceived quick fix, and will soon go the way of International Harvestor - I hope.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
...Does inter-league play make baseball a better game? is probably the correct question - and to that the answer (IMHO) is a resounding no.

It's a gimmick. A gimmick which is wearing thinner and thinner with each passing year, and that's here in Chicago where the White Sox have a huge crosstown rival - think if you lived in Seattle or Denver which don't even have geographic rivals. It was an ill conceived quick fix, and will soon go the way of International Harvestor - I hope.

I agree. Inter-league games was a one-time fix. Now that the novelty has worn off, the positive effects are largely gone. Baseball would be smarter to start a separate tournament within the regular season that included matchups between inter-league rivals. You could crown the "inter-league champion" right before the World Series playoff games begin, either late-September or early-October.

As it stands now, inter-league games simply take away from the regular championship season.

For a million different reasons, baseball ain't football.

:tool
"Umm... err... but I don't know what else to do but copy football to fix baseball! I have no creativity whatsoever! :whiner: "

Iwritecode
06-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I agree. Inter-league games was a one-time fix. Now that the novelty has worn off, the positive effects are largely gone. Baseball would be smarter to start a separate tournament within the regular season that included matchups between inter-league rivals. You could crown the "inter-league champion" right before the World Series playoff games begin, either late-September or early-October.

As it stands now, inter-league games simply take away from the regular championship season.

For a million different reasons, baseball ain't football.

:tool
"Umm... err... but I don't know what else to do but copy football to fix baseball! I have no creativity whatsoever! :whiner: "

I kinda like the inter-league games. It's nice to finally see some different teams and some different ballparks for once. I mean, is there really a good reason for the Sox to play every team in the ALC almost 20 times a year? I think it should be more like baseketball where every team faces every other team at least once. Football you only face 15 different teams out of what 30?

Jerry_Manuel
06-07-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I kinda like the inter-league games. It's nice to finally see some different teams and some different ballparks for once. I mean, is there really a good reason for the Sox to play every team in the ALC almost 20 times a year?

The idea behind so many games within your division is that your truly winning the division by playing those teams so many times. I agree though, I'm tired of seeing KC and Cleveland already. I'd rather see the Mets and Braves come here more than Seattle or the A's.