PDA

View Full Version : Smoltz to the Cards?

chisox616
08-19-2009, 12:30 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/08/cards-have-very-serious-interest-in-smoltz.html#comments

Apparently it's going to go down around 12PM CST. Good news, I guess you can never have enough pitching, but keep him away from the starting role. He'll be great as a set up guy for Franklin...

...but maybe he can still handle starting in the NL?

soltrain21
08-19-2009, 12:33 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/08/cards-have-very-serious-interest-in-smoltz.html#comments

Apparently it's going to go down around 12PM CST. Good news, I guess you can never have enough pitching, but keep him away from the starting role. He'll be great as a set up guy for Franklin...

...but maybe he can still handle starting in the NL?

It's not THAT big of a difference. Location and speed doesn't magically come back all of a sudden. I'm tired of everyone pretending like the NL is this terrible, inferior league. Hitters will hit a bad pitcher regardless of what league it is.

chisox616
08-19-2009, 12:38 PM
It's not THAT big of a difference. Location and speed doesn't magically come back all of a sudden. I'm tired of everyone pretending like the NL is this terrible, inferior league. Hitters will hit a bad pitcher regardless of what league it is.

At least he won't be dealing with a completely different league with a completely different set of hitters this time. I dunno, I have faith in the guy.

pythons007
08-19-2009, 01:26 PM

So is that why average pitchers in the AL become CY Youngs? Go ahead and take a look at Chris Carpenter's career.

Look at CC last year! Cliff Lee is straight dealing in the NL. Both of these guys' ERA went down 2 full runs!

Now I'm not saying Smoltz is going to come in and dominate, but his problem this year has been straight location. His pitches have life and he was hitting 93 on the gun. So he still has some still left in the tank. I can tell you that I'll bet his ERA comes down extremely!!

soltrain21
08-19-2009, 01:36 PM
So is that why average pitchers in the AL become CY Youngs? Go ahead and take a look at Chris Carpenter's career.

Look at CC last year! Cliff Lee is straight dealing in the NL. Both of these guys' ERA went down 2 full runs!

Now I'm not saying Smoltz is going to come in and dominate, but his problem this year has been straight location. His pitches have life and he was hitting 93 on the gun. So he still has some still left in the tank. I can tell you that I'll bet his ERA comes down extremely!!

Cliff Lee's ERA last year was extremely low, and he has made what? Three starts in the NL? And as for CC - he threw a crap ton of innings last year.

I just don't think the NL is as inferior as some people make it out to be.

veeter
08-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Good move for the Cardinals.

ChiSoxGirl
08-19-2009, 04:23 PM
I say why the hell not?! They've acquired so many other players this season! Anything to help them win the division and then some. :bandance:

oeo
08-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Dave Duncan is the best pitching coach in the game, IMO. Watch Smoltz put up some big numbers in September.

Tragg
08-19-2009, 04:41 PM
That's a good pickup.
Smoltz was my favorite of that Atlanta trio.

khan
08-19-2009, 04:44 PM
I just don't think the NL is as inferior as some people make it out to be.

I don't know about that. There are a few ****ty teams in the NL: Pirates/Reds/Nats/San Diego...

At the same time, it must be nice to get a minimum of 3 free outs a game with the pitchers hitting. It must be nice to not have to worry about a pitcher stealing, even IF he somehow makes it on base.

Either way, I think its a heck of a lot easier to find success in the NL, for a variety of reasons.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-19-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't know about that. There are a few ****ty teams in the NL: Pirates/Reds/Nats/San Diego...

Yea, because KC, Baltimore and Oakland are real world beaters. :rolleyes:
Is the AL better? Obviously, but the NL has made real strides over the past 2 years to catch up.

soltrain21
08-19-2009, 06:05 PM

At the same time, it must be nice to get a minimum of 3 free outs a game with the pitchers hitting. It must be nice to not have to worry about a pitcher stealing, even IF he somehow makes it on base.

Either way, I think its a heck of a lot easier to find success in the NL, for a variety of reasons.

I forgot that Thome steals bases at a rapid pace.

khan
08-19-2009, 06:42 PM
I forgot that Thome steals bases at a rapid pace.
Sure. But the other DH, Scott Podsednik has been known to take a base or two.

There are a few other DHs that are more of a threat to steal than a 2-legged hippo like Carlos Zambrano.

khan
08-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Yea, because KC, Baltimore and Oakland are real world beaters. :rolleyes:
KC is as craptacular as Washington/****tsburg/cincinnati/San Diego. Baltimore plays in the best division in baseball; If you gave them free wins against the NL's weakest teams, their record would be much better. Oakland's .445 winning percentage [after having their annual Billy Beane Giveaway Sale] is still better than the dregs of the NL.

Is the AL better? Obviously, but the NL has made real strides over the past 2 years to catch up.
The dregs of the AL are bad, but they are by and large bad MLB-level teams. The dregs of the NL [Washington, ****tsburg, etc...] are AA to AAA teams, at best. Their craptitude skews the rest of NL numbers and records tremendously.

WSox597
08-19-2009, 06:51 PM
It goes in cycles. When I was young, the NL was the better league and won a bunch of AS games in a row.

Now it's the AL's turn.

hawkjt
08-19-2009, 10:09 PM
It goes in cycles. When I was young, the NL was the better league and won a bunch of AS games in a row.

Now it's the AL's turn.

Too many cases of AL pitchers going to the NL and succeeding lately. Cliff Lee won again tonite..gave up 1 hit?
Javy is having a good year for the braves.

Smoltz will be a nice fifth for a NL team with offense like the Cards.

South Side Irish
08-19-2009, 11:58 PM
As a Cards fan, I'm okay with this. Not excited, but it can't possibly be any worse than Wellemeyer starting. Boggs has been better, but Smoltz's upside is exponentially better. I don't expect a 5-0 1.29 ERA finish by him, but 5 or 6 strong innings of 3 run ball would be nice.

Let us not forget that Dave Duncan regularly works miracles with guys like this. I'm confident that Duncan sees something already he can do, hence the aggressive signing. There's no way they'd go so hard without that knowledge, let alone start him Sunday. Smoltz is eager, Duncan is the best in the business, and this is the Cardinals: things like this just tend to work out.

And in the playoffs, experience and a solid arm in the pen.

All in all, a good move.

soxfanreggie
08-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Worth a shot with the BoSox picking up his contract. Pro-rated league minimum or whatever deal he got is a very small risk.

soltrain21
08-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Too many cases of AL pitchers going to the NL and succeeding lately. Cliff Lee won again tonite..gave up 1 hit?
Javy is having a good year for the braves.

Smoltz will be a nice fifth for a NL team with offense like the Cards.

Did I miss the fact that Cliff Lee was terrible in the AL? I could have sworn he won the Cy Young last year. And Javy had a good year for us in 2007, too.

PKalltheway
08-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Oakland's .445 winning percentage [after having their annual Billy Beane Giveaway Sale] is still better than the dregs of the NL.
What makes you so sure about this, considering Oakland went 5-13 against the NL this season?

Big D
08-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Not a bad Cardinal debut for Smoltz. 9 K's and 5 shutout innings. Further evidence that the NL is inferior.

captainclutch24
08-23-2009, 07:31 PM
The Cardinals played the Padres, who are one of the worst teams and worst hitting teams in baseball. Jusdging the entire NL based on the Padres current team is plain dumb

South Side Irish
08-23-2009, 07:58 PM
What makes you so sure about this, considering Oakland went 5-13 against the NL this season?

They also play the NL West, primarily (IIRC). That's the best division in the NL (Giants, Rockies, Dodgers), so another "unfair" comparison.

I agree that the NL is beginning to close the gap here. But it is still an inferior league to the AL. The general interleague W-L stats support that, as does common sense when watching enough baseball. The AL is just better right now.

South Side Irish
08-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Not a bad Cardinal debut for Smoltz. 9 K's and 5 shutout innings. Further evidence that the NL is inferior.

This is his role, as a 5th starter. Granted, it's against a horrible team (next up is the Nats), but he got into no trouble of his own (1st inning jam was due to an error by Ryan). 9 K's and few balls left the outfield. He looked good. An even better pickup now when you consider Lohse is on the DL, too.

chisox616
08-23-2009, 08:49 PM

They played their interleague games against the best division in the NL, the West. Including the Rockies, Giants, and Dodgers. Not the Pirates and Nationals.

That might explain it.