PDA

View Full Version : How bad are the Sox?

doublem23
08-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Preach it, WSI

Hartman
08-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Bad enough to lose to the Royals and Indians and not be able to catch an incredibly average team for the division lead.

russ99
08-19-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't think the Sox are bad, but the mental focus and drive isn't there and they're not executing to their abilities.

Look at Oakland, they don't have a good team, but their players go all-out. Can you think of a Sox player you've seen this year that goes all-out?

Beckham would be the closest I can think of.

Maybe the pressure is getting to them or the clubhouse is too loose...

Noneck
08-19-2009, 09:39 AM
I will stick with my pre season prediction. 78 wins. When you follow a team for a half a century of course I have seen worse. It is just fortunate that the Sox are in a down division and they are still in the hunt in mid August.

Marqhead
08-19-2009, 09:39 AM
They say this team is a bad mother SHUT YO MOUTH!

thedudeabides
08-19-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't think you've given enough options to adequately describe how bad this team is. Worst team ever doesn't do them justice.

soxfanatlanta
08-19-2009, 09:44 AM
New option needed: Whenever I watch this team, I lose my appetite for churros.

aryzner
08-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Well.. this season is more tolerable than 2007. :shrug:

Jollyroger2
08-19-2009, 09:56 AM
I've seen worse...but that isn't a ringing endoresement. They're bad. They had one small hot streak mid-season, otherwise they'd be below .500 and in any other division they'd be way out of the race.

Lousy pitching, lousy hitting and awful defense. The sad thing is, they've shown they can play well at times, which shows it's a mental/attitude thing as much as lack of talent in key places.

One example of many is bringing Garcia back to pitch? That's the best this organization can put on the mound? Come on.

kobo
08-19-2009, 09:59 AM
They are who most of us thought they were: a slightly better than .500 team. When you head into a season with Dewayne Wise as your leadoff hitter and starting CF and 2 unproven rookies in your infield and 2 question marks in your starting rotation, that doesn't leave a lot of room for optimism. Sure, KW has tweaked the lineup since the beginning of the year, but this team has done nothing but play .500 ball the whole season.

eriqjaffe
08-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Worst team ever doesn't do them justice.Do you really long for the days of Andy Gonzalez and Luis Terrero?

35th and Shields
08-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Not bad at all.

thedudeabides
08-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Do you really long for the days of Andy Gonzalez and Luis Terrero?

No, someone needs to call the teal police on me.

I thought this thread was dripping with sarcasm judging by the options Double put up, and I was pretty sure my post was.

MeteorsSox4367
08-19-2009, 10:08 AM
I remember some of the teams from back in the 70s when I was a kid and it wasn't fun to be a Sox fan.

What drives me nuts about this team is the fact that they seemingly do so much dumb crap. Bad errors, bad baserunning, can't lay down a bunt, can't situationally hit.

The talent is there (in some spots) and watching someone like Beckham play third base makes me very optimistic.

It just ticks me off that the Sox might throw away an opportunity to win the division and have an mediocre Detroit team finish first.

hi im skot
08-19-2009, 10:18 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PuZoLkvmBbc/SeTG6yYMdbI/AAAAAAAADTk/BwOu_QdBUTo/s320/Kenny+Bania.bmp

"The worst, doub...THE WORST!"

parlaycard
08-19-2009, 10:19 AM
how bad is this poll?

voodoochile
08-19-2009, 10:21 AM
No, someone needs to call the teal police on me.

I thought this thread was dripping with sarcasm judging by the options Double put up, and I was pretty sure my post was.

No doub was being dead serious, check out his post in the Reality Check thread if you doubt me...

jabrch
08-19-2009, 10:22 AM
how bad is this poll?

I'm assuming Dubs was just being sarcastic. I'm (not really) shocked at some of the other comments.

Craig Grebeck
08-19-2009, 10:24 AM
I don't think the Sox are bad, but the mental focus and drive isn't there and they're not executing to their abilities.

Look at Oakland, they don't have a good team, but their players go all-out. Can you think of a Sox player you've seen this year that goes all-out?

Define all-out. Methinks this is idiotic.

35th and Shields
08-19-2009, 10:28 AM

The only player I would acuse of consistantly not being in the game or going "all out" is Alexei. He has been making mental mistakes all season long. Other then that, I don't agree at all.

kevingrt
08-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Ugly... very ugly

Procol Harum
08-19-2009, 11:04 AM
As noted by many--this team is being blessed by the fact that they are in an utterly mediocre division. The Sox still have a chance, but I'm not going to be betting the mortgage on them anytime soon--mediocre pitching, uneven hitting, poor fielding--that's not a recipe for success.

doublem23
08-19-2009, 11:09 AM

How dare any of you not take me at face value.

thedudeabides
08-19-2009, 11:12 AM
No doub was being dead serious, check out his post in the Reality Check thread if you doubt me...

I've been trying to limit myself to about 1 of these threads a day. If I keep reading the same things over, i'm going to lose it, and probably not post in the Clubhouse anymore(not that anyone cares). Every series there is a this is a must win series thread(we haven't come close to that yet), a sweep is the only acceptable outcome thread(almost never the case), four threads about what the biggest weakness is, three more about how mediocre/terrrible this team is.

Not that I'm blaming anyone for starting them or posting in them, but for me it's just depressing.

Marqhead
08-19-2009, 11:15 AM
I've been trying to limit myself to about 1 of these threads a day. If I keep reading the same things over, i'm going to lose it, and probably not post in the Clubhouse anymore(not that anyone cares). Every series there is a this is a must win series thread(we haven't come close to that yet), a sweep is the only acceptable outcome thread(almost never the case), four threads about what the biggest weakness is, three more about how mediocre/terrrible this team is.

Not that I'm blaming anyone for starting them or posting in them, but for me it's just depressing.

See my post in the reality check thread. After every win it's "This team has the tools!" after each loss "How bad, insert player sucks, this team sucks x10"

I spend most of my time in the Parking Lot.

thedudeabides
08-19-2009, 11:17 AM
How dare any of you not take me at face value.

Don't ground me doub.

voodoochile
08-19-2009, 11:41 AM

LOL... gotcha...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2330299&postcount=10

illinifan1368
08-19-2009, 11:44 AM
I need to know the 3 people who think we should trade Beckham.

LITTLE NELL
08-19-2009, 12:46 PM
On a scale from 1 to 10 we are at best a 6.

Crestani
08-19-2009, 01:09 PM
I need to know the 3 people who think we should trade Beckham.

I don't think you could find three people to agree on that. However, you can start with me on the stopping of that stupid song every time he comes to bat. i don't care if it is his favorite song, it is starting to annoy me:rolleyes:.

NoNeckEra
08-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Every series there is a this is a must win series thread(we haven't come close to that yet), a sweep is the only acceptable outcome thread(almost never the case), four threads about what the biggest weakness is, three more about how mediocre/terrrible this team is.

The Sox were pre-season 4th or 5th in the Central.
Kenny has made some moves to get us in position to get to the postseason.

While it's been incredibly frustrating to watch this team at times, if you go beneath the surface you see very few times they've been out of games over the past couple of months, and not too many teams can say that.

Let's let it play out and judge this team first week in October.

WhiteSox5187
08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm shocked that anyone really thinks this team is really the worst team ever. Is it a great team? God no. It might not even be good, but it is by far better than the 2007 team and waaay better than the teams we threw out there in the late 1990s.

doublem23
08-19-2009, 01:29 PM
I don't think you could find three people to agree on that. However, you can start with me on the stopping of that stupid song every time he comes to bat. i don't care if it is his favorite song, it is starting to annoy me:rolleyes:.

You're just going to have to learn to love it.

BWiJ1ltQeEY

Josie's on a vacation far away............

ndgt10
08-19-2009, 01:42 PM
This team needs to be blown up in the offseason.

Ranger
08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I will stick with my pre season prediction. 78 wins.

42 games left and you think they'll only win 17 of them?

Well.. this season is more tolerable than 2007. :shrug:

Well, yeah. Meaningful games in August is 100 times better than 2007.

how bad is this poll?

The worst.

Look, this is not a great team, but let's not overstate the bad. They are only really bad at one thing: defense. The offense is inconsistent, but not terrible. The pitching is good overall with the exception of the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation, and a couple of guys in the pen. Inconsistent, but not terrible.

Yes, they have the benefit of being in a subpar division, but so what? Take it and try to enjoy a race. Can't expect them to be world-beaters every season and it doesn't make sense to complain when they aren't. There has been, and will continue to be, roster turnover and this team is competing while in transition. This isn't the worst thing that's ever happened. It's ok to get frustrated, but let's not make this out to be something worse than it is.

Ranger
08-19-2009, 01:51 PM
I've seen worse...but that isn't a ringing endoresement. They're bad. They had one small hot streak mid-season, otherwise they'd be below .500 and in any other division they'd be way out of the race.

But that streak counts and they did it. By your logic, if they didn't have that 5 game losing streak in May, they would be 12 games over .500.

doublem23
08-19-2009, 01:52 PM
This team needs to be blown up in the offseason.

Considering the Sox just invested millions of dollars in Peavy and Rios this trade deadline, I hope you're not holding your breath.

JB98
08-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Like most people, I voted for "I've seen worse," because I certainly have seen worse.

But I don't think this is a playoff team. Even in a weak division, it's hard to make the playoffs with only three starters, the worst defense in the league and a bullpen that's been erratic since the All-Star break.

I'll keep watching, though, because they still are in the hunt. I just don't have high expectations.

khan
08-19-2009, 02:29 PM
I really don't know how to feel about this year's team. Going into the season, I was HOPING for a .500 team, and maybe we'd uncover a few youngsters while planning for 2010 and beyond.

Now, they're in the race in a ****ty division, which if they were EVEN MEDIOCRE at defense, they'd be running away with it. This has got to be the worst defensive team I've seen in my time as a SOX fan, and I go back 30+ years to my first game at Old Comiskey.

Having said all of this, I'm pleased at the prospects of what Beckham, Getz, and Ramirez can become in the near future. I'm pleased at the additions of Peavy and Rios. But for this year, the defense ALONE may be the thing that costs them the divison.

areilly
08-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Worst. Team. Ever.

Noneck
08-19-2009, 03:15 PM
42 games left and you think they'll only win 17 of them?

17-25

Hope I am wrong.

thedudeabides
08-19-2009, 03:23 PM
The worst.

Look, this is not a great team, but let's not overstate the bad. They are only really bad at one thing: defense. The offense is inconsistent, but not terrible. The pitching is good overall with the exception of the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation, and a couple of guys in the pen. Inconsistent, but not terrible.

Yes, they have the benefit of being in a subpar division, but so what? Take it and try to enjoy a race. Can't expect them to be world-beaters every season and it doesn't make sense to complain when they aren't. There has been, and will continue to be, roster turnover and this team is competing while in transition. This isn't the worst thing that's ever happened. It's ok to get frustrated, but let's not make this out to be something worse than it is.

Ranger,

This thread was made in jest. Some of the responses certainly aren't, but I think doub was making fun of how bad many of the dark clouds overreact after a loss.

doublem23
08-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Ranger,

This thread was made in jest. Some of the responses certainly aren't, but I think doub was making fun of how bad many of the dark clouds overreact after a loss.

I'm sad that Ranger, who deals with just as many lunatics on a daily basis, didn't see through my ruse.

I'll work harder next time.

DumpJerry
08-19-2009, 03:28 PM
They make the 2003 Tigers (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/2003.shtml) look like the 1927 Yankees by comparison.

Yeah, that bad.

TornLabrum
08-19-2009, 03:41 PM
I love Ranger's comment on the pitching staff. Let's analyze it: The pitching is good...except for 40% of the starting rotation. As my dad used to say in situations like this, "And if the dog hadn't stopped to **** he'd have caught a rabbit."

I was around in 1968-70 I've seen the worst Sox teams, and this team, does not compare. If I were to rate it seriously, I'd say, "One step shy of being almost better than mediocre if they get the breaks. After all, the other teams put their pants on one leg at a time, too. So our pants are ripped in the seat. What difference does that make? We can still wear them and put black pinstripes on our underwear."

JB98
08-19-2009, 03:52 PM
I love Ranger's comment on the pitching staff. Let's analyze it: The pitching is good...except for 40% of the starting rotation. As my dad used to say in situations like this, "And if the dog hadn't stopped to **** he'd have caught a rabbit."

I was around in 1968-70 I've seen the worst Sox teams, and this team, does not compare. If I were to rate it seriously, I'd say, "One step shy of being almost better than mediocre if they get the breaks. After all, the other teams put their pants on one leg at a time, too. So our pants are ripped in the seat. What difference does that make? We can still wear them and put black pinstripes on our underwear."

Interesting. Interesting perspective.

thedudeabides
08-19-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm sad that Ranger, who deals with just as many lunatics on a daily basis, didn't see through my ruse.

No, it was well played. So many actually think this way, so much so that they took your options seriously, and expanded. Nice. :cool:

Ranger
08-19-2009, 03:53 PM

I figured you were. I was just responding to the responses...which were not in jest.

thedudeabides
08-19-2009, 03:54 PM

Wouldn't that make them mediocre? :D:

Ranger
08-19-2009, 03:56 PM

Hal, when I say "pitching," I'm including the bullpen, too. And my opinion is that the pitching has not been terrible. "Inconsistent" is not the same thing as "terrible", which is what another poster was implying. 1 through 3 have been solid, 4 and 5 have been inconsistent.

Thatguyoverthere
08-19-2009, 04:29 PM
It's clear this team is going nowhere fast. Kenny needs to get as much as he can for Beckham right now, because having an all-star third basemen means nothing if the team is just going to suck year after year. The Pirates have it right, dump everyone for something of value while you still can KW!

08-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Awesome thread doublem. Since people were complaining about the how good are the Sox thread, apparently this was needed to cancel that one out.

TornLabrum
08-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Hal, when I say "pitching," I'm including the bullpen, too. And my opinion is that the pitching has not been terrible. "Inconsistent" is not the same thing as "terrible", which is what another poster was implying. 1 through 3 have been solid, 4 and 5 have been inconsistent.

Yes, but my response was given in the spirit of this thread. And we're still mediocre. Of offense, pitching, and defense, though, with Peavy on the way soon, I think the biggest obstacle we have to win (now I'm writing seriously) is the mental mistakes these guys make. That's why when I'm serious, I say this team right now is mediocre but with a good chance for a bright future. I'm hoping that future comes in the next 6.5 weeks.

ode to veeck
08-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Get a grip, every selection in the poll sucks, they just beat the best ERA in the league today

TheVulture
08-19-2009, 10:34 PM
They're so bad that the whole world has to answer right now just to tell you once again.

A. Cavatica
08-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Mediocre and underachieving -- but this is a rebuilding year for us, and as rebuilding years go it's fantastic.

Don't believe it's a rebuilding year? Count all the bodies that KW has strewn by the wayside. Look at the way KW is bringing in people with multi-year contracts and not free-agents-to-be. Look at the talent that KW has been stockpiling to replace some or all of Thome, Konerko, Dye, Pierzynski, Contreras, Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink.

It's a lot easier to take when you look at the big picture.

tacosalbarojas
08-19-2009, 11:26 PM
100 losses are not out of the question.

Thatguyoverthere
08-19-2009, 11:45 PM
100 losses are not out of the question.Hopefully after Friday it is.

hawkjt
08-20-2009, 12:30 AM
It's clear this team is going nowhere fast. Kenny needs to get as much as he can for Beckham right now, because having an all-star third basemen means nothing if the team is just going to suck year after year. The Pirates have it right, dump everyone for something of value while you still can KW!

The pitching is inconsistent, but it is also 2nd in the league in ERA,behind only Seattle,who plays in a park that is nearly impossible to score in with a great defensive outfield.

Thatguyoverthere
08-20-2009, 01:28 AM
The pitching is inconsistent, but it is also 2nd in the league in ERA,behind only Seattle,who plays in a park that is nearly impossible to score in with a great defensive outfield.:redneck I didn't think that needed teal...

Cuck the Fubs
08-20-2009, 01:49 AM
But that streak counts and they did it. By your logic, if they didn't have that 5 game losing streak in May, they would be 12 games over .500.

ZING!

Even in jest ( jesting ) well played....well played!!!

doublem23
08-20-2009, 06:56 AM
100 losses are not out of the question.

Finally someone gets in the spirit of this whole thing!

DumpJerry
08-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Finally someone gets in the spirit of this whole thing!
I get no appreciation (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2330764&postcount=44) around here.:whiner: