PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check

LITTLE NELL
08-19-2009, 06:20 AM
After another loss it is becoming very clear that the Sox are not much more than a .500 club.
The record speaks for itself:
April: 11-10
May: 13-15
June: 15-13
July 14-13
Aug 8-8
Inconsistant hitting and the lack of a 4th and 5th starter are the culprits. Bad fielding has'nt helped either.
If this team wins more than 82 games it will only be because of Peavy, MB, Floyd and Danks having a good stretch run. They will have to pitch lights out because we can't rely on the hitting or the fielding or a lousy bullpen.

DaveFeelsRight
08-19-2009, 06:30 AM
reminds me of 2004. but you know, we we're actually way OVER .500 that year.

Parrothead
08-19-2009, 07:31 AM
It is just now becoming clear that they are a .500 team ? Where ya been and have you been paying attention ?

Marqhead
08-19-2009, 07:39 AM
With the amount of threads on this topic, it's been becoming clearer and clearer each day for the last 3 months. (Unless the Sox won the previous night)

Jogurt
08-19-2009, 07:49 AM
They sure have been consistently mediocre. No need to give up hope yet... at least they haven't had a month where they tanked.

skobabe8
08-19-2009, 08:24 AM
That's why my expectations coming into this year were around 85 wins. I figured we are a .500 team, but since I'm optimistic, maybe a little bit better.

The best possible achievement this season is winning this division. That will make this particular year a successful one in my eyes. Back to back division titles would be an amazing accomplishmnet, and almost feel like stealing when you consider it was accomplished winning less than 90 games each season.

Next year, expectations will be higher.

cws05champ
08-19-2009, 08:37 AM
That's why my expectations coming into this year were around 85 wins. I figured we are a .500 team, but since I'm optimistic, maybe a little bit better.

The best possible achievement this season is winning this division. That will make this particular year a successful one in my eyes. Back to back division titles would be an amazing accomplishmnet, and almost feel like stealing when you consider it was accomplished winning less than 90 games each season.

agree 100%. I thought they were a .500 team coming into the season. But this team has changed so much from the beginning of the season. With the emergence of Beckham and now Peavy and Rios added, I think the expectations have grown. This is a really frustrating team to watch, because just when you think they are going to go on a run, they drop 3 in a row to get back to around .500.

I just hope 2 weeks from now we are around 2 back of the Tigers or closer...if we are, I still think we have the talent to make some noise.

Red Barchetta
08-19-2009, 08:53 AM
I agree they are a .500 team, however I have never followed a .500 team that has this much potential to go on an extended run. That's what's so frustrating. I love this lineup 1-9 and although the 5th starter (and Garland's 18 wins) is the primary differentiator compared to the 2005 team, I still think this team can win this division.

russ99
08-19-2009, 09:33 AM
While I think we can all agree the Sox are a .500 club right now, I wonder what happens if we don't make the push and at least finish with a more respectable record and potentially overtake the Tigers.

Kenny's made it clear he expects better. So if it doesn't get done, are players and coaches held accountable?

doublem23
08-19-2009, 09:35 AM
As mediocre as the Sox have been all year, I still can see them running together a nice little win streak in September and take over the division lead. I still 100% expect them to win this division.

Whitesoxfan23
08-19-2009, 10:00 AM
While I think we can all agree the Sox are a .500 club right now, I wonder what happens if we don't make the push and at least finish with a more respectable record and potentially overtake the Tigers.

Kenny's made it clear he expects better. So if it doesn't get done, are players and coaches held accountable?

Alot of it is KW's fault that we are in the position that we are in. He didn't do anything good in the off-season really. At least he made up for it during the season.

kitekrazy
08-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Alot of it is KW's fault that we are in the position that we are in. He didn't do anything good in the off-season really. At least he made up for it during the season.

I think he did. The organization got to find out if some of the "prospects" can play the game.

I thought this team would only win 70 games.

Plus, he called out the team for being mediocre.

Hitmen77
08-19-2009, 10:08 AM

This is thing that is making me feel most positive about the Sox right now. Despite this year's team sputtering along around .500, I think KW has really put the pieces in place for a much better team and a serious playoff contender next year:

- We'll have a full season of MB-Peavy-Danks-Floyd as our top 4 starters.
- A full season of Rios in CF (perhaps rebounding to his career norms).
- A full season of Beckham.
- A full, healthy season from Quentin

There are still some holes to fill, no doubt. 5th starter, I expect Thome to be gone, I don't expect Pods (if he's back) to repeat his 2009 "career year" success. The bullpen is always a question mark.

....but overall, things are looking good for a much better 2010. I certainly don't expect the likes of Wise and Fields in our opening day lineup, Betemit on the bench, and Colon and Contreras as our 4th and 5th starters.

asindc
08-19-2009, 10:15 AM

I guess it depends on what you consider being accountable to be.

whitem0nkey
08-19-2009, 10:18 AM
thanks for the thread, because before today I thought that our Sox were like the 2nd or 3rd best team.

Thank you!

35th and Shields
08-19-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm just praying that our rotation will be able to carry us in to October. MB, Peavy, Floyd, Danks... that rotation can put up wins by itself.

I don't see the offense changing much and I think we can still count on at least one error a game.

Dibbs
08-19-2009, 11:37 AM
I love how many posters around here claim you are a dark cloud if you think the team is not good enough to make it. Then come September when it is beyond obvious the Sox are a .500 team or less, it is finally OK to admit it.

voodoochile
08-19-2009, 11:40 AM
I love how many posters around here claim you are a dark cloud if you think the team is not good enough to make it. Then come September when it is beyond obvious the Sox are a .500 team or less, it is finally OK to admit it.

People said the same thing all last season. Heck, there were people freaking out in September 2005 when the race got tight.

One poster stuck a fork in the Sox in May 2008... IN MAY!

The Sox are still in this race and anyone who says different is dead wrong, IMO.

Oh and at present, the Sox are a .500 team or better, but don't let that stand in the way of your rant...:rolleyes:

35th and Shields
08-19-2009, 11:47 AM

That's because at the end of year you can't debate if a team will be .500, you just look at the record.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2009, 12:05 PM
I thought Ozzie's comment yesterday saying the team wasn't very good at the start of the year, then specifically mentioning Contreras, Colon and the fact that they had to play Fields, Anderson and Wise (:o:!) was significant.

Lip

fram40
08-19-2009, 12:33 PM
I thought Ozzie's comment yesterday saying the team wasn't very good at the start of the year, then specifically mentioning Contreras, Colon and the fact that they had to play Fields, Anderson and Wise (:o:!) was significant.

Lip

agreed I could not believe Ozzie said that when I read it in today's paper

I thought Wise was "tremendous"

Dibbs
08-19-2009, 01:50 PM
People said the same thing all last season. Heck, there were people freaking out in September 2005 when the race got tight.

One poster stuck a fork in the Sox in May 2008... IN MAY!

The Sox are still in this race and anyone who says different is dead wrong, IMO.

Oh and at present, the Sox are a .500 team or better, but don't let that stand in the way of your rant...:rolleyes:

There were also posters halfway through 2007 calling people dark clouds when it was obvious it was a bad team.

Definitely no rant. I think we still we will win the division. I just have no problem with people realizing this team isn't all that great.

getonbckthr
08-19-2009, 02:09 PM
I have no problem with the offseason. We had potential prospect talent and we had to know whether they were for real or not. The "lack of an offseason" put Kenny in a position to make the moves he did in the holes he filled.

jabrch
08-19-2009, 02:20 PM
There were also posters halfway through 2007 calling people dark clouds when it was obvious it was a bad team.

Because they were.

You have two options. Look for the positive, or look for the negative. When people decide to look to the negative of everything, even though they may be right sometimes, that is what a Dark Cloud is. It has nothing to do with right or wrong - it is your outlook.

There are people right now saying that this team sucks. They are pointing to bad D, a hole in the back of the rotation, and a pen that is not consistent. None of those statements are untrue. But concluding that the team sucks, is Dark Cloud.

Dark Cloud isn't an insult any more than calling someone a pessimist is an insult.

Douchebag - that's an insult. And we have a bunch of those two. But Dark Cloud? Hell - I'm fairly sure that's a compliment to some people around here; they take great pride in being "realists" - their "realism" materializes in the form of unbridled negativity. Want to call me a Fluffy Cloud as a way of calling me an optimist? I'll take it. But to me, if you can't enjoy the game of baseball, even when the team isn't on a 6 game winning streak and is 5 games up in the division lead, then you are missing out on the best part of the game. I take every moment I get to enjoy Sox baseball, and seek out the positives of it. It beats the heck out of so many of the realities in this world. I'm just not going to EVER let White Sox Baseball be a cause of pain/aggrevation/depression/disappointment. Real life has so many opportunities to provide that. I won't be taking on any as one of my primary hobbies. (I'm the same way in golf. I'm a 24 handicap - so I suck. But when I miss one, I never let it get in my way of having fun)

Each individual has a choice...be negative if you want. I'd rather be negative about war, hunger, economic depression, etc. and be as happy as possible with White Sox Baseball and my golf game - despite the fact that both often leave much room for improvement.

doublem23
08-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Because they were.

You have two options. Look for the positive, or look for the negative. When people decide to look to the negative of everything, even though they may be right sometimes, that is what a Dark Cloud is. It has nothing to do with right or wrong - it is your outlook.

I disagree. Nothing dark cloudy about saying that 2007 team was pure horse****. I can't remember any other time I basically stopped watching the Sox by July. What a ****ty summer that was. :angry:

There is a difference between a dark cloud and a pessimist.

jabrch
08-19-2009, 02:33 PM
I disagree. Nothing dark cloudy about saying that 2007 team was pure horse****. I can't remember any other time I basically stopped watching the Sox by July. What a ****ty summer that was. :angry:

Halfway through that year, when we were discussing, the team was 22-19 and 3.5 games out of first place. That team didn't get ****ty until late May or Early June. And it got catastrophicly bad in August. 3.5 games out, halfway through the year is not ****ty. 25 games out in September - that is. Right?

There is a difference between a dark cloud and a pessimist.

A Dark Cloud is one who always sees the negative in a situation and fails to ever see the silver lining that cloud has. That's a pessimist to me. Calling the 07 team ****, half way through the year, when they were 3.5 games out, is dark cloudish or pessimistic.

By the way - the Dark Cloud sees the 2007 season as complete **** and a waste of time. There is a silver lining to it... See #15 over at 3B. The Dark Cloud doesn't see that silver lining. (FWIW, that draft also got us Morel, Hudson, Carter, Danks and KWJR.)

doublem23
08-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Halfway through that year, when we were discussing, the team was 22-19 and 3.5 games out of first place. That team didn't get ****ty until late May or Early June. And it got catastrophicly bad in August. 3.5 games out, halfway through the year is not ****ty. 25 games out in September - that is. Right?

Paint it any way you like, that team was terrible.

jabrch
08-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Paint it any way you like,

That's exactly the point. A Dark Cloud paints it one way..failing to see any alternative.

that team was terrible.

Not half way through the season it wasnt.

JB98
08-19-2009, 02:55 PM
That's exactly the point. A Dark Cloud paints it one way..failing to see any alternative.

Not half way through the season it wasnt.

They went 4-14 in interleague play. They were essentially done by July 1.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2007-schedule-scores.shtml

jabrch
08-19-2009, 02:59 PM
They went 4-14 in interleague play. They were essentially done by July 1.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2007-schedule-scores.shtml

Why the hell am I thinking there are 81 games in a baseball season?

Oops:redface:

I still think there was reason to have hope - even half way through.

Carolina Kenny
08-19-2009, 03:17 PM
We are the best .500 Sox team in history.

LITTLE NELL
08-19-2009, 04:04 PM
thanks for the thread, because before today I thought that our Sox were like the 2nd or 3rd best team.

Thank you!
They are the 2nd or 3rd best team..................in the AL Central