PDA

View Full Version : Our Team Really Isn't That Bad...

kevingrt
06-07-2002, 10:39 AM
We have a great hitting line-up. If somebody besides Kenny could step up to the dish and say,"Okay, I'm driven in some runs!", like Paulie, Frank, or Maggs we'd easily be 8 games above .500

Our pitching staff has really started to meld. Buerhle always great, Ritchie starting' to get back, Wright doing fine, Garland starting to become the 1st Round pick he was, and Glover has a great start under his belt and getting his arm strength back.

And For all those people that want to write the season off here's our upcoming schedule...

3 vs. Expos, 3 vs. Mets, 3 @ Flubs, 3 @ Philly, 3 @ Braves, 4 @ Twinkies , 3 vs. Flubs, 3 vs. Tigers, & 3 vs. Tribe. (Up to the All-Star Break)

Look at how that schedule is so not hard. We have the Expos, Mets, Phillies, Flubs, and Tigers. We could easily take 12-7 from them or even better. Then we have the Braves, now we get to see if we can hit easy pitchers , refer to Cy Young Poll. We have the Tribe, who we our looking for revenge. And we have those Peskie Twinkies, who I know we can beat.

So all in all do you guys remember when we took 2 out of 3 from the Bo Sox, and 2 out of 3 from almost everyone except the Halos and A's, well I see with an even easier schedule comin up, that we should easily be able to do that and more!

delben91
06-07-2002, 10:43 AM
I'm all for optimism, and I'm glad I'm not the only one, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. Start by trying to take 2 of 3 from the Expos. We'll have Wright, Garland, and Buerhle going, so Montreal shouldn't score too many runs. If we can somehow scrape together 4 or 5 runs a game, we shold be all right. Granted, with the way we've been hitting lately, not a guarantee, especially after the semi-lackadasical KC series, but it's not hopeless sox fans!!

duke of dorwood
06-07-2002, 10:45 AM
I admire your optimism and hope you are right. BUT, every tendency we have shown this season would go against doing well against these teams. And remember, no DH in NL parks. We have not been hitting with a DH.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-07-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I admire your optimism and hope you are right. BUT, every tendency we have shown this season would go against doing well against these teams. And remember, no DH in NL parks. We have not been hitting with a DH.

I can think of two good reasons for optimism right now.

1. Our division is ****. Ever since the Indians dismantled their 90's dynasty, the championship race is wide open. More telling, the Sox didn't have to do anything to truly improve to be contenders. If the Indians of the mid-90's were in this division, this Sox team wouldn't have a prayer.

2. We haven't played any of our 19 games against the division leaders. Ray Durham was an idiot for selling the Twins short last winter--a team that cleaned our clock last season. Now we need to win games against them again, same as last year. Let's get cocky after we actually beat them. Don't be so sure of the results.

Neither #1 or #2 would bode well of a championship Sox team doing anything more but become roadkill in the post-season. Fortunately, we don't play playoff games in June. The Sox have four months to improve (assuming there isn't a strike).

Will the Sox improve to compete straight up with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mariners? Let's not get too carried away here. The chairman is keeping his eyes on the prize.

:reinsy
"...the same prize I chased and lost in '94--breaking the union."

Dadawg_77
06-07-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

Clayton = NL Pitcher

Viva Magglio
06-07-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I can think of two good reasons for optimism right now.

1. Our division is ****. Ever since the Indians dismantled their 90's dynasty, the championship race is wide open. More telling, the Sox didn't have to do anything to truly improve to be contenders. If the Indians of the mid-90's were in this division, this Sox team wouldn't have a prayer.

2. We haven't played any of our 19 games against the division leaders. Ray Durham was an idiot for selling the Twins short last winter--a team that cleaned our clock last season. Now we need to win games against them again, same as last year. Let's get cocky after we actually beat them. Don't be so sure of the results.

Neither #1 or #2 would bode well of a championship Sox team doing anything more but become roadkill in the post-season. Fortunately, we don't play playoff games in June. The Sox have four months to improve (assuming there isn't a strike).

Will the Sox improve to compete straight up with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mariners? Let's not get too carried away here. The chairman is keeping his eyes on the prize.

:reinsy
"...the same prize I chased and lost in '94--breaking the union."

#1 - The winner of the AL Central -- be it Minnesota, Cleveland, or us -- will be the tallest midget and probably a three and done first round exit out of the playoffs. While winning the division would be nice, I want more than that. I don't want a repeat of the three and out against Seattle in 2000. We're not Cub fans who think that merely getting to the playoffs is the greatest thing in the world. We want more than just a division.

#2 - Has it occurred to anyone that Minnesota may just be BETTER than we are? The Pollyannas are assuming that Minnesota will roll over and play dead allowing us to steamroll past them. Don't hold your breath waiting for the Twinks to collapse.

ChiSoxBobette
06-07-2002, 11:40 AM
What do we say when/if we come out of this inter-league play worse off than we are now all I've been hearing lately is when we play this team and when we play that team we're going to be right there, all I've seen is a very down group of players and what looks to me like is a very confused have'nt got a clue manager & coaching staff. Lets face it upper management J.R. & K.W. don't seem to care because I think at the very least they would have stepped in with the moves J.M. has been making lately. I would'nt get to enthused if the Sox beat the expos tonight it's what they do with them the next few games because you don't win divisions splitting series or loosing them to the teams we are about to play. The Sox better make their move now or I think the twinkies are going to runaway and hide. How about bringing up Joe Crede let him play 3rd & yes leave Jose at SS errors be damed especially if starts to hit like he can, moving Todd Ritchie to the bullpen because I don't know if the guy is snakebit or just bad now Thurs. against the royals we're two runs down before we even get a chance to bat, platoon Rocky Biddle & Matt Ginter in the 5th spot of the rotation, think about sitting Maggs down for a while because he's either hurt or he just does'nt want to play in Chicago anymore I've never seen him go into a funk like this he either hits a week ground ball to the left side or grounds out/flys out to the right the last ball he hit good to leftfield was in clev., maybe we bring up Joe Borchard and Willie Harris ready or not it could light a fire under some of these veteran players butts Joe Borchard I don't think could hit any worse than C Lee and he must be better fielder. But if something is'nt done to get this team going by someone soon - J.M., Coaching Staff, K.W.,J.R. somebody do something I'm tired of hearing all of the excuses yesterday I don't care what anybody says about Leifer pitch hitting if someone in that dugout did'nt get all over him for just standing there then NOBODY CARES BUT US FANS!
Go White Sox :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

hold2dibber
06-07-2002, 11:59 AM
The Sox have been in a skid for the last 10 days or so -- prior to the Yankees series last week, the Sox were coming off of four consecutive series wins (Texas, Anaheim, Boston, and Detroit) and things were looking great. We can't get all bent out of shape over a 10 game collective slump -- it happens. But as badly as they've played lately, I know this -- Big Hurt, Maggs, Konerko, Valentin and Lofton are all better hitters than they've shown over the last ten days. They will get going again, they always do. Thankfully, we're in a crap division and despite the horrors of the last 10 days, we're still well within striking distance. And as someone else pointed out, the pitching really has been terrific lately.

With all that in mind, I still think, as I thought at the beginning of the year, that the Sox will win about 87 games or so this year. However, I now think (unlike I thought at the beginning of the year) that the Twins will win more than that. While I'd like to win the division, what I really want out of this year is improvement in the young players and a fun, competitive team to watch. With all the pitchers coming off arm surgery this year, and with all the unproven guys in the rotation, I'd be happy with that. And next year, if Garland, Wright, Biddle, Ginter, and Glover all continue to improve as they have already this year, and with an influx of Crede, Borchard, Harris and possibly Rauch and Hummel, I think we could be looking at a 95 win team for the next few years.

raul12
06-07-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
Thurs. against the royals we're two runs down before we even get a chance to bat

before you throw ritchie in the proverbial crapper, just remember that beurhle seems to also do the same thing every time he pitches. don't piss on him for giving up 4 runs over 7 innings. although he's 3-8, most of those L's cannot be blamed on him.

i don't worship ritchie, but *****, cut the guy some slack.

and as much as you hate to admit it, we're still only 4 games back with 19 games yet to play against the twins. i'm not an eternal optimist, but i prefer to look at the big picture. we had one good month and one bad month. we're still .500. it's not like we are 14-29 for crying out loud.

btw, please at least use periods....i know i don't capitalize, but my head hurt after that post.

raul12
06-07-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by raul12

btw, please at least use periods....i know i don't capitalize, but my head hurt after that post.

sorry chisoxrob--i was focusing on the first couple of sentences....sorry about the false accusation.

Procol Harum
06-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
prior to the Yankees series last week, the Sox were coming off of four consecutive series wins (Texas, Anaheim, Boston, and Detroit) and things were looking great.

We dropped two out of three to Anaheim here at Comiskey . . . how soon they forget.

duke of dorwood
06-07-2002, 01:09 PM
Until this team is properly prepared and motivated, it will be very tough to stay close in the division.

:jerry

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

pudge
06-07-2002, 01:54 PM
I'd like to know the age of the optimisits - I know the first poster was a Sox fan since 1990, the second born in '82. Both fairly young. I love the optimisim of the youngsters, but, us old farts know better. (Wow, 28 makes me an old fart?). We were there for '83, '93, '00 and all inbetween. We don't give a rats' butt if we win the AL Central. Back in the day when there were four divisions, winning a division actually meant something. (Don't get me wrong, I like the Wild Card.)

The bottom line is, this team can't win close games. They win when their O explodes, but can't win 3-2 or 4-3 vs. KC. What is it now, 0-26 when trailing after 8? That's pathetic. That's the sign of a team that's out in the first round of the play-offs, if we even get there.

I'd like to see us get on a role and have a real reason for optimism, but I've seen enough baseball to know it ain't gonna happen, not with this bunch. We may squeak into the post-season with 90 or 93 wins, but we'll be out faster than we were in 2000.

Yet I'd like nothing better than to be proven wrong.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-07-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by pudge
....Yet I'd like nothing better than to be proven wrong.

Me, too. Unfortunately, the gray hair is beginning catch up with the dark hair--and I love them all because that means I still have hair.

Being a Sox Fan is a bitch.

:)

cheeses_h_rice
06-07-2002, 02:27 PM
Closing in on 36 years, and I think this team won't do squat this year. Frank's in trouble, we have some real deadweight problems in LF, we're getting no offensive help from our SS and Catcher positions, our closer seems to be getting a case of the yips, and just when one starter turns the corner, another one blows up.

Inconsistent and underachieving, this team is.

Iwritecode
06-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Inconsistent and underachieving, this team is.

Yoda, you sound like.

Trying, are you?

cheeses_h_rice
06-07-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Yoda, you sound like.

Trying, are you?

I'll have to take your word for it, Code. I haven't watched a Star Wars movie in probably 10 years or more.

:)

Procol Harum
06-07-2002, 03:14 PM
41 years of Sox fan experience--I have seen nothing from this bunch to make me think this team is of championship caliber. Heck, they're beginning to convince me they don't have what it takes to squeak out a division title against truly mediocre competition....which says....

hold2dibber
06-07-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
41 years of Sox fan experience--I have seen nothing from this bunch to make me think this team is of championship caliber. Heck, they're beginning to convince me they don't have what it takes to squeak out a division title against truly mediocre competition....which says....

34 years of (mostly) suffering under my belt. But I'm not sure what people mean by "optimism". With this starting rotation, did anyone really think, going in to the season, that the Sox might be a championship caliber team? I sure didn't - I thought they'd contend for the division title, but no more. And I still think that's the case (but I now think the Twins are a lot better than I thought at the start of the season). But this team will not be a championship caliber team unless the young pitchers grow into championship caliber starters (i.e., Buehrle keeps on doing what he has done, Garland turns into Kevin Brown and Wright turns into John Smoltz) or we somehow get our hands on championship caliber starters via free agency or trades (unlikely on both accounts, I know). All I'm saying is, the last 10 days or so do not make me think this team is worse than I thought at the beginning of the year -- they're just in a collective slump. It is possible that they won't snap out of it, but I think they will (but again, the team still isn't good enough to win more than 85-90 games).

DrWatson27
06-07-2002, 03:31 PM
I feel that those of us who have been around a while are better able to take a look at the other teams we will be battleing with in the playoffs and realize that the odds are not in our favor-our vision isn't as clouded with false hopes. All that being said I think there is a couple of things you have to keep in mind:

1. It only JUNE, there are many more game to be played
and
2. How many teams in the history of baseball turned things around in the second half and got things really clicking and went all the way.

Lets face it, right now there is no way the Sox would be able to win a series against the Yankees, Red Sox, or M's. But you have to agree there is a lot of talent and potential on this club, will it develop and gel by season end-it's hard to tell. If the Sox are still playing the S**tty baseball they are now, 2-3 weeks after the allstar break then it may be time to start the old Chicago "wait till next year". Have a little faith.

delben91
06-07-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by DrWatson27
I feel that those of us who have been around a while are better able to take a look at the other teams we will be battleing with in the playoffs and realize that the odds are not in our favor-our vision isn't as clouded with false hopes.

Now don't misunderstand, I can only speak for myself, but as of right now, my optimism doesn't have me viewing the sox as world series contenders right now. I just don't think the team is honestly as bad as they've played of late. Given time, I do think they'll turn it around and play to their potential. Now, if that's good enough to make the playoffs and go anywhere, that's hard to say. If they keep playing as they are now, they've got no chance, that much is certain. If they can somehow get back to hitting on all cylinders, who knows.

Wow, that was a lot of "ifs"

Nellie_Fox
06-08-2002, 03:29 AM
Forty-eight years of Sox fandom here (I think. I'm pretty sure that the first year I really remember being a Sox fan was 1954.) I'll be surprised if this team even wins the weak Central. What breaks it for me is that as I watch scores on various cable channel tickers is that once it gets past the 6th inning with the Sox behind, I write the game off. This team has no heart.

baggio202
06-08-2002, 03:59 AM
32 years of suffering here...i should have known better than to believe in this bunch...fool me once shame on you fool me twice....it wont be until 2010 until we finally get another opportunity at 3 and out in the playoffs

FanOf14
06-08-2002, 12:46 PM
25 years of suffering here. I remember the '83 and '00 debacles, but I really have no memory of the '93 debacle because I was in high school, getting ready for college, running and working. All I know is that JR needs to sell this team to someone that cares about winning. I am getting fed up with year in and year out futility of this team. If he really cared about winning, KW would be making managerial changes and player changes. We all know KW is just a mouth piece/puppet for JR. BTW - In regards to the first post, Konerko has been doing really well all season. Kenny hit a slump for a couple weeks in May (I think that was how long it was) PK hit a slump for about a week and then the four or five games before last night he was (according to some graphics on TV) batting either .400 or .500. He has blown some golden RBI opportunities, but players do have slumps. He is still batting 0.326 according to yahoo sports. I hope he gets back on track, but I'd also like to see the rest of team make a valiant attempt and improving their batting skills.

guillen4life13
06-08-2002, 05:00 PM
personally i'd still just be disappointed in this group of players if they aren't able to make it to the playoffs, because I know that they have what it takes, but aren't executing it the right way. the world series was never even a thought to me... but in the next five-seven years i'd be surprised if this city's south side did not get a world series banner. they have the foundation, all they have to do is just grease the gears and let them run smooth. this team will be alright (yet I am one of the young optimists, so that must be taken into consideration)

Nick@Nite
06-08-2002, 08:41 PM
I love being optimistic, but only on pay days ... this team hasn't delivered in the clutch at all this season.

*****, Fernando TiTs just hit a 2-out double, scoring Vlad the Impaler ... all tied up in the 5th. Speaking of hitting in the clutch!

:o:

(Being overseas with no cable tv reduces me to following the games on ESPN.com's game update)