PDA

View Full Version : I-Rod Back to Texas

Marqhead
08-18-2009, 01:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4407445

For two minor leaguers.

doublem23
08-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Don't the Rangers already have 2-3 catchers on their roster? I'm not sure if this is going to push them over the top in the Wild Card chase, but I certainly hope so.

Marqhead
08-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Don't the Rangers already have 2-3 catchers on their roster? I'm not sure if this is going to push them over the top in the Wild Card chase, but I certainly hope so.

Salty is on the DL, he'll be backing up Teagarden according to the article. I found it odd also, but I hadn't really followed the Rangers catching situation too closely.

doublem23
08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Salty is on the DL, he'll be backing up Teagarden according to the article. I found it odd also, but I hadn't really followed the Rangers catching situation too closely.

Didn't know Saltalamacchia was on the DL. I guess this makes more sense then, Teagarden is the BA of catchers, he can't hit for ****.

ewokpelts
08-18-2009, 01:40 PM
I guess he wants to retire as a Ranger

Lorenzo Barcelo
08-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Doesn't Salty have "the thing"?

getonbckthr
08-18-2009, 02:39 PM
I forgot he was still playing.

Thigpen "57"
08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
This is a great move by the Rangers.

Personally, Putz Rodriguez is one of my least favorite players ever (along with his cohort Padilla!). But, the Rangers are playing a very special season right now, and they have not been getting a whole lot of recognition until this last week week and a half.

Many people/players value Putz's "leadership" qualities, and his value in working with quality young teams. This was shown with the '03 Marlins, '06 Tigers, and the late 90's Rangers squads.

Their young arms, and quality bullpen will be under a lot of pressure these next 45 days, and succesful veteran experience is always valuable.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-18-2009, 04:25 PM

Personally, Putz Rodriguez is one of my least favorite players ever (along with his cohort Padilla!). But, the Rangers are playing a very special season right now, and they have not been getting a whole lot of recognition until this last week week and a half.

Many people/players value Putz's "leadership" qualities, and his value in working with quality young teams. This was shown with the '03 Marlins, '06 Tigers, and the late 90's Rangers squads.

Their young arms, and quality bullpen will be under a lot of pressure these next 45 days, and succesful veteran experience is always valuable.

Padilla got cut by the Rangers about a week or two ago.

jdm2662
08-18-2009, 04:27 PM
I know Oblong doesn't have many nice things to say about I-Rod...

russ99
08-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Good move by the 'Stros too. Their top prospect, Jason Castro is a catcher, and this not only saves on payroll and gives the kid (and potentially J.R. Towles) a chance to play, but they get a few prospects for their still fairly awful minor league system.

Now only if they could do the same with Valverde and Tejada...

Coolpapa
08-19-2009, 03:46 AM
Don't the Rangers already have 2-3 catchers on their roster? I'm not sure if this is going to push them over the top in the Wild Card chase, but I certainly hope so.Back to where he started with the roids. Were PED's invented in Texas?

Big D
08-19-2009, 04:25 AM
Back to where he started with the roids. Were PED's invented in Texas?

No, but they seem to have arrived there around the same time Jose Canseco did.

soxfan2504
08-19-2009, 04:25 AM
Back to where he started with the roids. Were PED's invented in Texas?

Nah, they were imported by Jose Canseco, who probably came there excited knowing that he could truly help make everything "bigger in Texas."

Sure, I-Roid got to bulk up with the help of injections from Jose, but when he used those PEDs, I'm sure many things became smaller in Texas.

Coolpapa
08-19-2009, 05:07 AM
Nah, they were imported by Jose Canseco, who probably came there excited knowing that he could truly help make everything "bigger in Texas."

Sure, I-Roid got to bulk up with the help of injections from Jose, but when he used those PEDs, I'm sure many things became smaller in Texas.Rafael, Juan Gonzalez, Julio Franco, Pudge, .......

soltrain21
08-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Rafael, Juan Gonzalez, Julio Franco, Pudge, .......

At this point it seems like you could go down almost every roster and name 6-7 guys.

Oblong
08-19-2009, 09:53 AM
I know Oblong doesn't have many nice things to say about I-Rod...

His defense and leadership are vastly overrated. I cannot emphasize that enough.

All it takes is watching Gerald Laird every day to recognize what a difference it makes. The defense that is.

Leadership? Showing up not only your manager but the manager who is also an all time legend for the franchise? He asked Trammell in 2005 if he could go to South America, during the season, to take care of some business or something like that. Tram said no. Ivan goes around him to Dombrowski who granted his request. How the heck is Trammell supposed to be a manager/leader after that? I also heard rumors that he fought physically with Trammell.

doublem23
08-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Leadership? Showing up not only your manager but the manager who is also an all time legend for the franchise? He asked Trammell in 2005 if he could go to South America, during the season, to take care of some business or something like that. Tram said no. Ivan goes around him to Dombrowski who granted his request. How the heck is Trammell supposed to be a manager/leader after that? I also heard rumors that he fought physically with Trammell.

Well, in I-Rod's defense, Alan Trammel wasn't much of a manager (http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/trammal01.shtml).

FloridaTigers
08-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Well, in I-Rod's defense, Alan Trammel wasn't much of a manager (http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/trammal01.shtml).

Not even Casey Stengel could save those teams. 2006 would've happened with or without Trammell.