PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-17 Great Scott(s): PTC & Winning Pitcher Postgame Thread

jabrch
08-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Discuss

ShoelessJoeS
08-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Whew.

hi im skot
08-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the offense, guys!

thomas35forever
Ugly, but I'll take it! 2 back of Detroit! Let's let the folks of Duckberg get in on the fun!
frGLMtGsotc

DSpivack
What a weird game, with the rain delay, the rainbow, the back and forth action, Linebrink nearly blowing it and getting the win, and me having no audio on CSN from top of the 8th to the finish.

kevingrt
Linebrink got a win. HE ROCKS!

BadBobbyJenks
08-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Pods comes through every time we need a big hit late it seems.

That is the 9th inning we like to see Bobby.

We are coming kittens, we are coming.

doublem23
08-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Not a great game by Burls, but I'll take any W.

JermaineDye05
08-17-2009, 11:49 PM
AJ is now hitting .489 against the Royals this year with 4 2B 1 3B and 2 HR's :o:

hi im skot

http://bedwards18.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/peanuts3rock.jpg

veeter
From a pure hitting stand point, the Sox line-up is awesome. Linebrink is worse than awful. Bobby, in save situations, to me, is still one of the best. I wanted Mark to get a win on a day when he didn't have much. He deserves it. But of course, the red-faced, knock-kneed one, screws him. A much needed win.

October26
Ugly game but beautiful win. I'll take it! :bandance:

Corlose 15
Linebrink doesn't suck, he was just itching for a W and knew Pods had his back.

Soxman219
08-17-2009, 11:50 PM
I want Linestink out of here before Opening Day 2010.

2 GB!:bandance:

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Is this the true def of "Winning Ugly?"

Warriorjan
Shouldn't "Linebrink rocks" have been in teal?

Frankfan4life
It just goes to show you that a good offense can make up for a lot of bad. I will sleep like a baby tonight. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sleep012.gif

ShoelessJoeS
08-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Ugly, but I'll take it! 2 back of Detroit! Let's let the folks of Duckberg get in on the fun!
frGLMtGsotcThat. Was. AWESOME.

Nelfox02
all the discussion about whether pods should or could have caught that ball yesterday (he should have), but he gets a big redeemer for us in this game

that is how it works in baseball

huge win, now lets ride some of these positive feelings for rest of series, will need to keep up the hitting and for the love of god play some consistent defense for Garcia and Contreras to be successful

Harry Potter
frGLMtGsotc

Haha awesome but now that song is stuck in my head! :cool:

BadBobbyJenks
Shouldn't "Linebrink rocks" have been in teal?

Were you confused really?

Chicken Dinner
And Linebrink gets the win? ***??

Thatguyoverthere
Earlier today I watched Game 2 of the '05 Series. In both games a reliever blew a multi-run lead only to be let off the hook by a big hit by Scott Podsednik. There's clearly a connection here.

Noneck
I was going to post, but not with this smartass title. Its not funny and its totally wrong.

chisoxfanatic
08-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Linebrink freaking SUCKS, but thanks Bobby for not making this one interesting.

hi im skot
08-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Earlier today I watched Game 2 of the '05 Series. In both games a reliever blew a multi-run lead only to be let off the hook by a big hit by Scott Podsednik. There's clearly a connection here.

With Freddy on the mound tomorrow, you might want to have game 4 ready to go.

veeter
08-17-2009, 11:54 PM
I was going to post, but not with this smartass title. Its not funny and its totally wrong.I hate the title too.

Brian26
08-17-2009, 11:54 PM

Any one run game with Jenks on the mound and Billy Butler at the plate is interesting.

Warriorjan
08-17-2009, 11:55 PM
No, but someone else might be. There should be a rule about pitchers getting wins in these situations.

ChiSoxGirl
DumpJerry called me from the ballpark a few minutes ago and said Linebrink doesn't deserve the win... he deserves a kick in the ass! Buehrle definitely deserved better than the ND he got.

JermaineDye05
I said yesterday that I had a feeling Rios would have a big series here. 2-3 with a 2B and 2 BIG runs scored, nice start.

Welcome to Chicago, Alex.

Chez
08-17-2009, 11:56 PM
So who goes down when Freddy gets activated? Lillibridge is our only back-up infielder with Getz on the DL. I'm guessing Wise to the DL with a bogus injury.

Brian26
I hate the title too.

Thread title sucked. I changed it. Call my lawyer if anyone has a problem with it.

voodoochile
Well that was a bit of a roller coaster... losing, tied, losing, winning, winning bigger, tied, winning again and finally...

:soxwin:

Not like they draw it up, but I'll take it.

So just guessing...

Linebrink sucks again.

Bobby's no longer fat again.

Pods is a stud again.

It's no longer the hitting but the pitching that is the problem.

The defense was at least consistent to our expectations

What a season...

:)

ShoelessJoeS
08-17-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm glad Rios had a good night.

Chez
08-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Thread title sucked. I changed it. Call my lawyer if anyone has a problem with it.

But it's spelled "vulture."

Soxman219
I said yesterday that I had a feeling Rios would have a big series here. 2-3 with a 2B and 2 BIG runs scored, nice start.

Welcome to Chicago, Alex.

He's going to be huge for us for a long, long time.:smile:

Brian26
I'm glad Rios had a good night.

I loved Rios' speed on the base hit by Pods up the middle. One of the few guys on the team Cox would have sent home in that situation.

SoxSpeed22
08-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Ugly outing, but a win's a win. Let's do it again tomorrow.

Noneck
08-18-2009, 12:01 AM

Thank you. I would have made the title: Great Scott(s): Player of the game and Winning Pitcher:redface:

whitesoxfan
08-18-2009, 12:02 AM
So who goes down when Freddy gets activated? Lillibridge is our only back-up infielder with Getz on the DL. I'm guessing Wise to the DL with a bogus injury.

That's my guess but I'm hoping Linebrink is the one who gets DL'ed with the fake injury.

The Immigrant
08-18-2009, 12:03 AM
That was a pretty balanced lineup tonight. Pods, Beckham, Rios, Ramirez and Nix (and even Quentin) all have good speed on the basepaths and can score from first on a double. I would have liked to see a stolen base attempt, but the infield must have been a mud pit after all the rain.

LoveYourSuit
I loved Rios' speed on the base hit by Pods up the middle. One of the few guys on the team Cox would have sent home in that situation.

It's a long time waiting for a guy in the middle of the order to be able to score from 2B like that on a simple single.

I think Rios will be fine.

We are going to look back at this one and once again praise Kenny for stealing another player from another team.

jabrch
Any reason the title to my thread keeps changing?

EDIT - Now I see. Never knew that was how we roll. No worries.

Brian26
Thank you. I would have made the title: Great Scott(s): Player of the game and Winning Pitcher:redface:

Done.

ode to veeck
08-18-2009, 12:04 AM

you did the right thing, no need to defend it. Nice work by the Sox sticks tonight.

Noneck
08-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Done.

You and the Sox made my day.:D:

Konerko05
08-18-2009, 12:05 AM
It was weird. I didn't even get mad when Linebrink (of disaster) handed the lead away. It was beyond the point of even getting mad.

I was just telling someone earlier how bad Linebrink was so I almost felt like someone was playing a practical joke on me. I was waiting for Toby Hall to come running out with the hidden cameras. I mean that was just beyond being awful. I can't even think of a word for it.

On the positive side, I never felt like we were going to lose this game, which is rare. Even after giving it up in the 8th, I was still confident the Sox were going to pull it out. Podsednik is definitely the guy I want up in any late inning situation.

Quentin looked pretty good running around the bases. Is there any word on how his foot is doing?

What happened to Thornton?

LoveYourSuit
08-18-2009, 12:06 AM
So just guessing...

Linebrink sucks again.

Pods is a stud again.

What a season...

Sad buy true. I keep saying to myself that it can't get any worse but it does.

I hope the pitchers just start accepting it for what it is and just find ways to grind it out and pitch above the circus act behind them.

Nelfox02
08-18-2009, 12:08 AM
concerned about Matt, that guy has been a hero in this pen, good case he should have made the all star team, if we lose him for any amount of time that is a big blow considering what you saw from the "line" tonight

fram40
08-18-2009, 12:11 AM

does he make it if the CF does not bobble the ball?

chisoxfanatic
08-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Any one run game with Jenks on the mound and Billy Butler at the plate is interesting.
To give Bobby some credit, he didn't allow a runner to reach base. I saw that as a HUGE positive.

Nelfox02
08-18-2009, 12:14 AM
does he make it if the CF does not bobble the ball?

tough to say, but would have made that play a lot more interesting.....

ShoelessJoeS
08-18-2009, 12:15 AM
concerned about Matt, that guy has been a hero in this pen, good case he should have made the all star team, if we lose him for any amount of time that is a big blow considering what you saw from the "line" tonightLove your sig! Just thinking about that still sends chills down my spine.

As for Thornton, the Sox cannot afford to lose him for any extended period of time down the stretch. Let's hope he's alright.

Redus Redux
08-18-2009, 12:16 AM
It was 'made interesting' at like 2 or 3 different intervals

SOXfnNlansing
08-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Good omen at the cell tonight:

BadBobbyJenks
08-18-2009, 12:19 AM

Very cool.

Chicken Dinner
08-18-2009, 12:21 AM

Too bad Linebrink was sitting on the crapper when that happened!

Warriorjan
08-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Was it the Ranger on the rain-delay that doesn't like rainbows or the guy that was with him?

Noneck
08-18-2009, 12:23 AM

Hope the end of the rainbow landed in the chairman's office so the Sox can overpay now for some relief help.

flo-B-flo
08-18-2009, 12:25 AM
almost takes the sting out of yesterday........will this roller coaster ever go on a nice winning streak - say 6 or 8 - before the season is out?.......gotta check my blood pressure.......

OmahaSoxFan
08-18-2009, 12:27 AM
AJ is now hitting .489 against the Royals this year with 4 2B 1 3B and 2 HR's :o:

Something tells me if FS Kansas City\FS Royals (whatever it is) does another poll tomorrow night to find out which White Sox player Royals' fans hate the most, A.J.'s 77% may rise well into the 80 percentile...

Man was it nice to see Pods come through and break the 7-7 tie and send us to the win... and finally we are back to within 2 games of Detoilet, and the Twins continue to implode...

Let's lock up another series win tomorrow night, and sweep these Jokers on Wednesday... anything less will not sit right with me!

Harry Potter
08-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Let's lock up another series win tomorrow night, and sweep these Jokers on Wednesday... anything less will not sit right with me!

Hopefully we can get quality starts out of Garcia and Contreras the next two games...

skobabe8
08-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Hopefully we can get quality starts out of Garcia and Contreras the next two games...

I haven't heard someone say that in a while. :D:

OmahaSoxFan
08-18-2009, 12:35 AM

Yeah the Royals definitely are playing like they have nothing to lose (and as evidenced by their record, they have nothing really to play for anyway but pride)... so we have to hope Garcia's comeback tour is successful and that Jose can finally put it together. Judging by what has happened during JC's last few outings, we are really going to need our bats going on Wednesday afternoon.

johnnyg83
08-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Hope freddy and jose can just keep us in the game ... royals pen outside of Soria is awful.

hawkjt
08-18-2009, 12:37 AM
AJ's blast should have locked up this win,but alas, Liney lost the plate and then tried to slip that fastball by Jacobs...so predictable there. I am going to defend Liney a little here. I have been encouraged by his last couple outings and he looked sharp til he had that brain cramp with the 8 straight balls.
I think Linebrink is throwing better and this will not happen again anytime soon.
Rios looked much more like I imagined him...roping linedrives,wreaking havoc on the bases and gracefully commanding center field...Hey JD,this just in..hes fast.
Pods just comes thru time after time. He is hitting .330 vs lefties? Insane. That means he can play everyday.
I feel good for Pods, cus you know he is having the time of his life this year, playing relaxed,then the outfield miscues harsh his buzz and he felt bad about yesterday. He needs to keep having fun out there,playing relaxed.
This could have been a crusher, but I sense a big hitting week at home,now, even vs Greinke....c'mon Freddie and Jose...keep us in it.
First place by the time we go on the road Sox!

JermaineDye05
08-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Hope freddy and jose can just keep us in the game ... royals pen outside of Soria is awful.

Be careful what you say, some of those guys might be with the Sox in the next couple of years.

:puking:

johnnyg83
08-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Be careful what you say, some of those guys might be with the Sox in the next couple of years.

:puking:

:D:

I'll take another DJ.

BoysMom3
08-18-2009, 12:43 AM
All I can say is what I said to my husband tonight - Scotty Pods is keeping us alive this summer. That's all.

White_Sock
That. Was. AWESOME.

Agreed

hoosiersoxfan
Yeah the Royals definitely are playing like they have nothing to lose (and as evidenced by their record, they have nothing really to play for anyway but pride)... so we have to hope Garcia's comeback tour is successful and that Jose can finally put it together. Judging by what has happened during JC's last few outings, we are really going to need our bats going on Wednesday afternoon.

I never root for rain outs but with that matchup being Greinke vs Contreras and thunderstorm in the forecast I just may be doing a rain dance that afternoon. :dtroll:

hawkjt
08-18-2009, 12:47 AM
All I can say is what I said to my husband tonight - Scotty Pods is keeping us alive this summer. That's all.

Be careful someone might jump in and assure you that Pods is fading cus he is only hitting .264 in his last 36 games...altho he has hit .300 in his last 16 games...

I will quote hawk...don't tell me what you hit, but when you hit it.
Pods has a ton of big hits this year.
The talkshow guys hate Pods. Bernstein said today that he is worth one game over replacement(whatever that means), but I am sitting there thinking who that replacement was on the Sox- Owens,Wise,and Anderson?...yea,right Pods is only a game better than that bunch in his outfield position and leading off. I do not buy it, I do not care what the numbers say, eyes don't lie.

08-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Absolutely huge game that we won tonight. To blow leads when leading into the 8th on consecutive games would have been devastating and demoralizing. The crowd was fantastic tonight. It was lively and got real loud when Rios Tripled into the gap to score TCQ.

It cannot be said enough, Linebrink sucks and cannot be trusted. Period. He stinks in high leverage situations and blows big leads as well. There has to be a role adjustment in the bullpen. Pena into the 7th innning, Thornton to the 8th. And stick Dotel at the back end of the pen with Linebrink being the caboose. It is even more puzzling as to why Ozzie keeps trotting him out there only to implode and have the fans boo him off the field. Also, the defense continues to suck. This is truly a high school defense when a groundball is hit. Just hold your breath and hope the play is made. Poor communication in the outfield was a problem AGAIN. Thankfully, that didn't cost us.

Great job by Bobby for nailing down the save and a nice home debut by Alex Rios. Also, nice job by Nix for getting that HR to help close the gap and get the game into striking distance. Keep winning boys, just keep winning. 2 GB now of the Tigers and 4.5 Games ahead of the Twins!

JermaineDye05
08-18-2009, 12:57 AM
:D:

I'll take another DJ.

For every DJ Carrasco, there's an Andy Sisco/Mike MacDougal/Horacio Ramirez

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Absolutely huge game that we won tonight. To blow leads when leading into the 8th on consecutive games would have been devastating and demoralizing.

Much agreed. Thanks, Alex and Scotty, for picking Kotsay up.

It cannot be said enough, Linebrink sucks and cannot be trusted. Period. He stinks in high leverage situations and blows big leads as well. There has to be a role adjustment in the bullpen. Pena into the 7th innning, Thornton to the 8th. And stick Dotel at the back end of the pen with Linebrink being the caboose. It is even more puzzling as to why Ozzie keeps trotting him out there only to implode and have the fans boo him off the field.

I can think of 19 million reasons why. It's all about justifying the contract.

By the way, on Scott's wikipedia page, someone wrote "This contract makes him a more expensive version of Nick Masset." I laughed.

Keep winning boys, just keep winning. 2 GB now of the Tigers and 4.5 Games ahead of the Twins!

I'll drink to that! :gulp:

slavko
08-18-2009, 01:04 AM
AJ's blast should have locked up this win,but alas, Liney lost the plate and then tried to slip that fastball by Jacobs...so predictable there. I am going to defend Liney a little here. I have been encouraged by his last couple outings and he looked sharp til he had that brain cramp with the 8 straight balls.
I think Linebrink is throwing better and this will not happen again anytime soon.

I have to agree that he looked better this and the previous time. But, but, but, but: What was tonight's outcome? My feeling is that he has both of us fooled. He can fill the Jimmy Gobble role for the rest of the year.

JB98
08-18-2009, 01:05 AM
That was a ragged game. We saw bad pitching and poor defense from both teams. Fortunately, the Sox had one more big hit than the Royals did. Podsednik has been pretty good in late-and-clutch situations for the Sox this year.

I thought Jenks threw the ball well tonight. I'm encouraged by the 1-2-3 ninth inning. As for Linebrink, I don't care about the home run. It's the two walks beforehand that piss me off. It's unacceptable to walk Mitch Maier with a 7-4 lead in the eighth. Just ridiculous.

GoGoCrede
08-18-2009, 01:24 AM
What a load of fun. The rain delay was spent with us sitting in the rain getting soaked. I can't decide what was funnier: the girl behind us screaming her love for Alexei every time he came to bat, or the guy who was wasted and rocked out to Thunderstruck.

It was ugly when Linebrink gave up the lead, but otherwise the game was a lot of fun to be at the ballpark. I can imagine the reactions on here when he blew the lead. Yikes.

My mom called me a dark cloud because I was sure we'd be miserable in the humidity. :redneck But the weather ended up being perfect.

Also, the wave circled around the stadium about six times.

Nellie_Fox
08-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Also, the wave circled around the stadium about six times.I'm sorry. :(:

GoGoCrede
08-18-2009, 01:29 AM
I'm sorry. :(:

I have no idea what went on that half-inning because it was so distracting. Apparently Buehrle pitched well. The wave just wouldn't die.

Edit - I forgot to mention I got great photos of that rainbow before the game!

TDog
08-18-2009, 01:39 AM
... Podsednik has been pretty good in late-and-clutch situations for the Sox this year. ...

Sunday in Oakland, Podsednik came up in the ninth with two outs and, after Nix stole second, he was ahead in the count with the go-ahead run in scoring position. the game seemed to center around Podsednik, even ignoring his defense. He drove in the first Sox run to break a scoreless tie and scored the second on a sacrifice fly. In his next two at bats, he failed to drive in runners in scoring position with two outs.

When he DHed in Oakland, he was running in foul territory when the Sox were in the field. Of course, Oakland has acres and acres of foul territory in play. He probably doesn't have room to do that in Chicago.

Tonight, Beckham seemed like the weak link in the Sox lineup. Over the weekend, he looked great at the plate. If pitchers have adjusted to him, as seemed possible in Seattle, it seems unlikely that the A's didn't get the memo.

The White Sox have scored eight runs in three of their last four games, and two of those games were one-run wins, so it is a matter of hitting when it counts.

I am most impressed with Ramirezwho has been walking and bunting runners over, in addition to hitting two-last-at-bat, game winning home runs during the last roadtrip. Tonight, he hit a go-ahead sacrifice fly, and had a critical sacrifice bunt in addition to scoring two runs.

soxnut1018
08-18-2009, 01:49 AM
I'm sorry. :(:

When the Sox win I don't care if they do the wave 100 times. It was an awesome time at the ballpark and some clutch hitting by Pods.
kM7C_yNlCLU

PeteWard
08-18-2009, 01:55 AM

Now THAT is ugly.:puking:

chisoxfanatic
08-18-2009, 02:05 AM
It was ugly when Linebrink gave up the lead, but otherwise the game was a lot of fun to be at the ballpark. I can imagine the reactions on here when he blew the lead. Yikes.
The chat room exploded.

JB98
08-18-2009, 02:07 AM
The chat room exploded.

Was there a pretty big mess to clean up after the explosion? :D:

I think a piece of the chat room ended up outside my window.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-18-2009, 02:08 AM
Was there a pretty big mess to clean up after the explosion? :D:

I think a piece of the chat room ended up outside my window.

A piece of GoGoCrede landed on my car. Took me forever to get it off :D:

EDIT: Before people get on me, I know she was at the game, but when I think of the chat, that's who I think of, so bite me :p.

chisoxfanatic
08-18-2009, 02:24 AM

EDIT: Before people get on me, I know she was at the game, but when I think of the chat, that's who I think of, so bite me :p.
Hahaha! I guess she is the #1swisher of the chat room. :P

Baron
08-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Now THAT is ugly.:puking:

I hated the wave.I was at the game today and Linebrink sure heard it after the guy homered off his pitch.Everyone was booing.

It was a lot of fun and a lot of money spent.

StillMissOzzie
08-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Between LineStink and the wave, that was one double butt-ugly game. I think that LineStink should be relegated to games where the Sox are either up or down by 5 or more only.

SMO
:gulp:

whitesoxfan
08-18-2009, 02:40 AM
Yeah, what the heck was up with the wave? I don't think I've ever seen it more than once at the Cell and it never happens during close games. That was a joke.

Linebrink and the wave was a terrible combo.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-18-2009, 02:42 AM

Haha, well said. Sorry I couldn't be there for the chat, I ended up going bowling in preparation for my Sunday morning bowling league that starts this week.

I did a triple fist-pump in the middle of my lane when my friend (who was following the game on his BlackBerry) told me that Scotty Pods drove in Rios for the game-winning RBI, and then I thought "the chat must be loving this".

I officially declare that Scott Linebrink is our version of Kevin Gregg.

Whitesoxfan23
08-18-2009, 03:24 AM
What the hell is wrong with Buehrle lately? Any win at this point in the season is a good win. Glad to see the Sox get the win tonight.

slavko
08-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Hope the end of the rainbow landed in the chairman's office so the Sox can overpay now for some relief help.

We're already overpaying for relief "help." Some of these contracts for bozos, good grief!

doublem23
08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
That's my guess but I'm hoping Linebrink is the one who gets DL'ed with the fake injury.

Are we trying to find out how few relief pitchers we need?

DumpJerry
08-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Linebrink did not deserve the W. He deserved a foot up his ass.

Shoeless
08-18-2009, 09:11 AM

The chat room actually calls him #1pods, because swisher sucks.

Risk
08-18-2009, 09:15 AM
UGLY win, but a win nonetheless. Kudos to the Sox for battling to tie the game and then get the lead, and then get the lead again after Jacobs' moon shot tied it.

Part of me feels that if the Sox had lost that game, Linebrink would have needed be escorted out of the park in an armored truck.

I still for the life of me (especially, among other things, after that meltdown against the Cute n' Cuddlies) that Linebrink is brought in close game situations.

Risk

SCCWS
08-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Well that was a bit of a roller coaster... losing, tied, losing, winning, winning bigger, tied, winning again and finally...

Not like they draw it up, but I'll take it.

So just guessing...

Linebrink sucks again.

Pods is a stud again.

What a season...

ACTUALLY:

Pods is a stud.

2nd time around, pitchers have caught up to Beckham. How can he go 0-5 against minor league quality pitching? Send him down w Getz returns.

Konerko going 0-3 looked older than he did on last homestand.

AJ ,big homerun, but what the hell was he thinking calling that pitch to Jacobs.

Linebrink should have shook off AJ. Terrible location. He sucks again.

Ozzie-genius. He call for the sacrifice and Alexi executes it flawlessly. Glad we have a manager who knows strategy instead of swinging for the fences.

Jenks-Hopefully his new contract extension will be signed off before tonight's game.

Batboy needs to be replaced. Too slow reaction time.

Hitmen77
08-18-2009, 09:43 AM

I know we should be winning or sweeping series from teams like the Royals, but Garcia is a big question mark for Tuesday.

....and then sweep the Royals with Jose facing Greinke on Wednesday? We're huge long shots to win that game. To make matters worse, the Tigers have Verlander going on Wednesday while we have Jose up against Greinke. That's pretty close to an automatic loss of a game in the standings. :o:

cws05champ
08-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm glad we won, but my God...why is Randy Williams in the BP if we are not going to bring him in against one of the three Lefties that Linbrink gave it up to? I was sure that OG would bring him in to face Jacobs after Liney walked the two previous.

The OF situation is interesting...I think the competition is heating up for playing time. Hopefully they can gel defensively, after another blown catch out there. It's clear Dye/TCQ and Rios are not on the same page yet.

SCCWS
08-18-2009, 09:57 AM
I know we should be winning or sweeping series from teams like the Royals, but Garcia is a big question mark for Tuesday.

....and then sweep the Royals with Jose facing Greinke on Wednesday? We're huge long shots to win that game. To make matters worse, the Tigers have Verlander going on Wednesday while we have Jose up against Greinke. That's pretty close to an automatic loss of a game in the standings. :o:

Royals are 1-7 since beginning of July in games Greinke has started. White Sox are 4-4 over same time period when Jose has started. I would say those stats do not make us a "huge long shot".

voodoochile
08-18-2009, 10:01 AM

Wouldn't have happened to be in the top of the 8th would it? I always found the wave to be horrible bad luck and always chanted to "stop that wave"...:tongue:

Edit: I guess not Buehrle was still pitching...

Chez
08-18-2009, 10:10 AM
ACTUALLY:

Pods is a stud.

2nd time around, pitchers have caught up to Beckham. How can he go 0-5 against minor league quality pitching? Send him down w Getz returns.

Konerko going 0-3 looked older than he did on last homestand.

AJ ,big homerun, but what the hell was he thinking calling that pitch to Jacobs.

Linebrink should have shook off AJ. Terrible location. He sucks again.

Ozzie-genius. He call for the sacrifice and Alexi executes it flawlessly. Glad we have a manager who knows strategy instead of swinging for the fences.

Jenks-Hopefully his new contract extension will be signed off before tonight's game.

Batboy needs to be replaced. Too slow reaction time.

You're joking, right?

Hitmen77
08-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Royals are 1-7 since beginning of July in games Greinke has started. White Sox are 4-4 over same time period when Jose has started. I would say those stats do not make us a "huge long shot".

I don't think those stats tell the whole story. KC lost a Greinke start last time out because they were facing an opposing pitcher much much better than Jose. But....man, I hope you're right about Wed!

asindc
08-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Be careful someone might jump in and assure you that Pods is fading cus he is only hitting .264 in his last 36 games...altho he has hit .300 in his last 16 games...

I will quote hawk...don't tell me what you hit, but when you hit it.
Pods has a ton of big hits this year.
The talkshow guys hate Pods. Bernstein said today that he is worth one game over replacement(whatever that means), but I am sitting there thinking who that replacement was on the Sox- Owens,Wise,and Anderson?...yea,right Pods is only a game better than that bunch in his outfield position and leading off. I do not buy it, I do not care what the numbers say, eyes don't lie.

But, but... you didn't use a calculator to reach that conclusion! How are we to take it as credible?

asindc
08-18-2009, 10:18 AM
That was a ragged game. We saw bad pitching and poor defense from both teams. Fortunately, the Sox had one more big hit than the Royals did. Podsednik has been pretty good in late-and-clutch situations for the Sox this year.

I thought Jenks threw the ball well tonight. I'm encouraged by the 1-2-3 ninth inning. As for Linebrink, I don't care about the home run. It's the two walks beforehand that piss me off. It's unacceptable to walk Mitch Maier with a 7-4 lead in the eighth. Just ridiculous.

My thoughts exactly about Linebrink's performance, and this is not hindsight at all. When he walked the second guy to bring the tying run to the plate, I was thinking that he would have been better off grooving a pitch to Maier than walking him. If he doesn't trust his own stuff, he should not be the 8th inning guy, period.

KenBerryGrab
08-18-2009, 10:19 AM

This is silly.

asindc
08-18-2009, 10:24 AM
This is silly.

I think you might want to re-read his entire post again for context.

voodoochile
08-18-2009, 10:26 AM

Start with the quoted part it's where it feeds from...:D:

GoGoCrede
08-18-2009, 10:45 AM

I loled.

When Linebrink gave up that homer, after I buried my face in my hands for a few minutes, I thought of the chat. I could hear the wails all the way to the Cell. :redneck Sounds like it was epic.

KenBerryGrab
08-18-2009, 10:56 AM

OK, I am a context-missing idiot. I need more coffee and maybe some BACON!

TDog
08-18-2009, 11:06 AM

2nd time around, pitchers have caught up to Beckham. How can he go 0-5 against minor league quality pitching? Send him down w Getz returns. ...

Beckham came up in June, faced the A's and went hitless. He got off to a slow start.

This weekend in Oakland, for his second look at the A's, he went 6-for-12 against the A's after going 2-for-12 in Seattle and 2-for-11 against the Indians at the end of the last homestand. That speaks to neither being in a slump or "pitchers figuring him out the second time around."

The A's and Royals don't have minor league-quality pitching, of course. The last place teams in the American League aren't easy wins, just because they lose a lot of games. In fact the A's shut out the Yankees on Monday night -- not behind Gio Gonzalez, who the Sox beat Saturday, but Gonzalez did beat the Yankees in Yankee stadium. The Royals only won one game in Detroit this weekend -- 3-2 in 10 innings -- but they lost the opener 1-0. If Brian Bannister were on the Sox, he would be in the starting rotation, just as his father was when he was a baby, and we wouldn't be talking about the comeback of Garcia.

After the Seattle series, I wondered if Beckham was having trouble in the No. 2 spot in the order, but he had some big hits hitting behind Podsednik this weekend..

Even if Beckham were not the best option the Sox have at third base, it would be silly to send him down for a couple of weeks of AAA ball before the September callups.

But you probably knew that.

asindc
08-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Beckham came up in June, faced the A's and went hitless. He got off to a slow start.

This weekend in Oakland, for his second look at the A's, he went 6-for-12 against the A's after going 2-for-12 in Seattle and 2-for-11 against the Indians at the end of the last homestand. That speaks to neither being in a slump or "pitchers figuring him out the second time around."

The A's and Royals don't have minor league-quality pitching, of course. The last place teams in the American League aren't easy wins, just because they lose a lot of games. In fact the A's shut out the Yankees on Monday night -- not behind Gio Gonzalez, who the Sox beat Saturday, but Gonzalez did beat the Yankees in Yankee stadium. The Royals only won one game in Detroit this weekend -- 3-2 in 10 innings -- but they lost the opener 1-0. If Brian Bannister were on the Sox, he would be in the starting rotation, just as his father was when he was a baby, and we wouldn't be talking about the comeback of Garcia.

After the Seattle series, I wondered if Beckham was having trouble in the No. 2 spot in the order, but he had some big hits hitting behind Podsednik this weekend..

Even if Beckham were not the best option the Sox have at third base, it would be silly to send him down for a couple of weeks of AAA ball before the September callups.

But you probably knew that.

See post above yours.

GoGoCrede
08-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Here is one of my pics of the rainbow.

illinifan1368
08-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Absolutely awesome crowd last night. Sellouts always produce much better atmospheres. Too bad every Monday-Thursday isn't half price.

Sorry about the wave, it started in my section and I tried to stop it, but 1 vs 250 doesn't stand a chance.

GoGoCrede
08-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Absolutely awesome crowd last night. Sellouts always produce much better atmospheres. Too bad every Monday-Thursday isn't half price.

Sorry about the wave, it started in my section and I tried to stop it, but 1 vs 250 doesn't stand a chance.

So you're the one to blame...:cool::tongue: What section were you in? I think the rain delay is to blame, really. Everyone had more to drink. Even I bought a beer, and I hate beer.

ramblinsoxfan11
08-18-2009, 04:14 PM
I was at the game last night and missed AJ's homerun because there was a line of people blocking our entire section who wanted to get a picture with Governor Quinn who was sitting a row behind us... that's why noticeable people should stay in their sky boxes!!!

Haha, but last night was a great game with a great atmosphere! Although I was worried in the 7th inning stretch when they had a member of Journey in the booth, but he just threw baseballs so I felt better :D:

TDog
08-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I was at the game last night and missed AJ's homerun because there was a line of people blocking our entire section who wanted to get a picture with Governor Quinn who was sitting a row behind us... that's why noticeable people should stay in their sky boxes!!!

Haha, but last night was a great game with a great atmosphere! Although I was worried in the 7th inning stretch when they had a member of Journey in the booth, but he just threw baseballs so I felt better :D:

I had a similar problem with MC Hammer sitting one section over from me in Oakland Saturday. I have no problem with ushers telling people to sit down and not walk up and down the aisles except during the between-half-inning breaks.

Warriorjan
08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
I think Quinn is a season-ticket holder. He's a long-time Sox fan. Just like Da Mare, who when he attends sits in the family seats, not in a skybox generally.

illinifan1368
08-18-2009, 05:18 PM
So you're the one to blame...:cool::tongue: What section were you in? I think the rain delay is to blame, really. Everyone had more to drink. Even I bought a beer, and I hate beer.
The rain had lots to do with it. We had a large group and everyone got in an entire extra hour of tailgating. Not sure exactly what section I was in, lets just say 50X way down the right field line.

SOXfnNlansing
08-18-2009, 06:36 PM
the wave started in the far right corner of the upper deck. I thought there was a fight or something because they made A LOT of noise before starting it. It was a very festive night, but the wave is BS at the cell! I was in 116 and most people in our section were booing. It didn't ruin the game though (linebrink almost did though).

Nellie_Fox
08-19-2009, 12:38 AM
He call for the sacrifice and Alexi executes it flawlessly.Who?

Wouldn't have happened to be in the top of the 8th would it? I always found the wave to be horrible bad luck and always chanted to "stop that wave"...
http://www.personalbestswimshop.com/system/images/ANTI-WAVE%202.JPG