PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Jason Nix Love?

Lillian
08-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Alright, I want to hear some Jason Nix love on this board!!!!
I've been touting this guy all year, and all I get here is skepticism and criticism. A lot of people dismissed his great numbers at AAA last season as the mere light air effects of Colorado Springs. He was on a pace to hit 42 doubles, 35 homers and drive in 100 runs, while hitting .300
But none of that seemed to impress most of you. Now that we've had a chance to see his power, do any of you still believe that he only hit those homers because of the thin air?

A guy who can turn the double play at second as well as he can , and have the potential to be an offense force as a middle infielder, should be someone about whom we could get excited.

He has been pulling foul balls hard all season, and now with a little regular playing time, he just might start keeping more of them fair. As I said before, I'm sorry about Getz being injured, and I do like him, but this guy has a lot more upside potential, in my opinion.

So, can we get some fresh evaluations about Jason's ability and whether or not he should start over Getz, when Chris comes off of the DL?

The Immigrant
08-17-2009, 10:14 PM
His name's Jayson. :tongue:

hi im skot
08-17-2009, 10:28 PM
I'll let you know after his next error.

fram40
08-17-2009, 10:48 PM
no love from me Nix strikes me as another guy swinging for the fences every time up and hitting .230 as I type The last thing this team needs is another guy swinging for the fences

I prefer Getz

kittle42
08-17-2009, 10:57 PM
He isn't very good.

whitesox_09
08-17-2009, 10:58 PM
no love from me Nix strikes me as another guy swinging for the fences every time up and hitting .230 as I type The last thing this team needs is another guy swinging for the fences

I prefer Getz

I think Nix is stepping up huge but yeah, I agree.

Lillian
08-17-2009, 10:59 PM

I prefer Getz

Jayson's OBP is the same as Getz'. Moreover, given more playing time I would expect his average to improve. I don't see that he has a big swing. To me, he looks short and quick.

Lillian
08-17-2009, 11:03 PM
I'll let you know after his next error.

This argument that "he is a weak defender" is simply not accurate. All the scouting reports on Nix say that he is a great defensive second baseman. We all saw the errors he committed, especially at SS, but it was probably an aberration. He made some very good plays earlier in the year at second, and he turns the double play as well as anyone.

SBSoxFan
08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
.228 with RISP. All I heard about while he was injured was how great he was defensively, but I haven't seen that either. Love? :scratch:

kittle42
08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
I hope you get some support for this, because Nix was my first call for "Next Sox Player Fans Will Inexplicably Get Behind."

Nelfox02
08-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Im torn on this guy

Sometimes I never want to see him again after he makes a brutal error, or has a crummy at-bat trying to hit a home run when he should be moving a man over

but then he has a great at bat, working a count and drawing a big walk with the bases loaded, coming out with a 2 out homer, or turning a real tough double play

not sure what to think at this point....but I will admit I m curious to at least see more of him

one thing not to forget is that Getz was really hitting a lot better before he went on the DL

doublem23
08-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Jayson Nix sucks.

soxinem1
08-17-2009, 11:44 PM
People seem to forget a few things about Jayson Nix:

1. He's an excellent defensive 2B who has played 3B, SS, and LF combined more than his natural position.
2. He's hit everywhere in the minors, and has 10HR's and 24 RBI in 165 AB's. That is excellent production for a .230 hitter who has played very sporadically.
3. He has excellent speed and is 8 for 8 in steals.
4. He is a rookie, not a veteran. He seems a little like a veteran but he only has about 80 MLB games under his belt.

If he had more consistent playing time I could understand some of the frustration.

True, he's been a bit erratic, but he should only get better.

Waysouthsider
08-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Can't help but like the homer tonight...but this guys numbers are pretty weak this year.....but, he does have some upside...let's hope he lives up to his potential.

hi im skot
08-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Give me Getz or give me death.

voodoochile
08-18-2009, 12:00 AM
I hope you get some support for this, because Nix was my first call for "Next Sox Player Fans Will Inexplicably Get Behind."

I think it has as much to do with Getz being considered merely average, not good that causes the Nix love and honestly I understand it.

Nix projects as a 20/20 guy based on this year's stats. His offensive splits are better than Getz against either type of pitcher and his power numbers are much better. I'll take the extra 15-20 HR over the extra 15-20 SB anyday of the week.

Nix might develop into a plus bat for 2B and he's no worse of a defender than Getz is and might be better. He's certainly better at turning the DP.

Neither of them projects to be AS, but I could see a platoon next year at the least and wouldn't be shocked if Nix just flat stole the job.

voodoochile
08-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Can't help but like the homer tonight...but this guys numbers are pretty weak this year.....but, he does have some upside...let's hope he lives up to his potential.

Um... he's posting a near .800 OPS. By what standard is that considered weak?

voodoochile
08-18-2009, 12:05 AM

His numbers for 600 PA project as 34 HR, 30 2B, 70 BB and 26 SB. Now those numbers would drop since he'd be facing a lot more RHP than he currently is, but even if it drops to 20, 20, 50, 20 (most of his steals come with a RHP on the mound). He'd be fine.

Save McCuddy's
08-18-2009, 12:12 AM

1. He's an excellent defensive 2B who has played 3B, SS, and LF combined more than his natural position.
2. He's hit everywhere in the minors, and has 10HR's and 24 RBI in 165 AB's. That is excellent production for a .230 hitter who has played very sporadically.
4. He is a rookie, not a veteran. He seems a little like a veteran but he only has about 80 MLB games under his belt.

If he had more consistent playing time I could understand some of the frustration.

Hit everywhere in the minors? He'd have made it to the bigs sooner than 26 if that were the case. His offensive output in his first 4 years in AA and AAA was absolutely anemic. Last year's outburst in Reno came out of nowhere.

Redus Redux
08-18-2009, 12:13 AM

Great post. He's young in baseball yrs, and just b/c he wasnt our prospect doesnt mean we give him zero leash in his development.

Beyond all that, he adds so much power to this lineup.

russ99
08-18-2009, 12:47 AM

Well considering the Sox got him off Colorado's scrap heap, I'm not too sure what his ceiling is at this point. Nix is a typical kid who tears up the minors, but can't seem to figure it out in the majors.

I'm not disappointed in Nix's season, 10 HRs are nice from a bench player.

But I'd like to see that average go up a bit and cut down on the strikeouts. Maybe he could end up as a Uribe-like hitter, with a lower average but lots of power.

But my real preference is to get a quality 3B or 2B and move the Nix/Getz battle to the bench next season.

hawkjt
08-18-2009, 12:56 AM
I have liked Nix's approach better the last few weeks. Yes, he is too patient at times but he does draw walks and he had hit two huge homers the past 3 games...with all his playing time he might be really heating up.
Do not like his straight pull swing,but he does really mash it with power, run well,and makes the turn very strong at second. I like the platoon with Getz and will be fine with it going into next year. Young and fast, that is good.

Konerko05
08-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Nix is a typical kid who tears up the minors, but can't seem to figure it out in the majors.

Nix hasn't torn up the minors though.

2004 AA- .639 OPS
2005 AA- .644 OPS
2006 AAA- .630 OPS
2007 AAA- .793 OPS
2008 AAA- .964 OPS

It took him 5 years between AA and AAA to finally start hitting the ball. He had to repeat AAA twice. He finally started hitting in 2008, but 25 is considered fairly old for AAA.

I'm not ruling out he's one of those players that just figures it out at a later age, but he hasn't exactly been an offensive force in the minors. He's actually doing better offensively than I expected.

His defense at 2B is above average, but I'd rather see Getz playing everyday.

kufram
08-18-2009, 03:38 AM
I think Nix is a major league hitter next year but he does need playing time. He gets important hits and important walks. His errors at short are worrying but they were so bad that it must have been nerves not ability. He will be a great infield backup bench player for us, but he needs regular playing time. a platoon with Nix/Getz looks pretty inviting to me and I don't really like platooning.

Mohoney
08-18-2009, 03:46 AM

Agreed on all counts.

Add to that:
5) He was picked up for nothing.

He doesn't look like he will be the utility infielder that we all want him to be, because he can't play SS at a major league level. However, he can definitely play 2B and 3B, he has power, he can steal bases, and he gets on base at a decent clip for a bench guy (his OBP is 100 points higher than his AVG). I like him on this bench. He's not Lillibridge/Wise bad, like some make him out to be.

Maybe next year in Spring Training he can prepare himself to be able to handle more innings at SS. He's also a good insurance policy if Getz can't get back into form after the injury he had.

LITTLE NELL
08-18-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm torn between Getz and Nix. I'd love to see a full season from Nix to see the real numbers.

whitesox_09
08-18-2009, 08:40 AM
I think this was mentioned, but if you take out June when Getz had his inevitable rookie slump, he would be hitting about .300. I like him a lot. That being said, I am quite happy with Nix until Getz is healthy.

soxyess
08-18-2009, 09:34 AM
If Nix hit to right field more he would increase his avg. dramatically. If he continues to be a pull hitter he will end up maxing out at .240 and strike out a lot. Can he play winter ball?

voodoochile
08-18-2009, 10:08 AM
If Nix hit to right field more he would increase his avg. dramatically. If he continues to be a pull hitter he will end up maxing out at .240 and strike out a lot. Can he play winter ball?

Seems to be at least partly where teams are pitching him. Maybe the book on him is can't catch up to inside heat or can't keep inside heat fair. He drilled a shot to the wall in RCF tonight that unfortunately was caught. Maybe he used to go the other way a lot so this is the first adjustment by the league and now that he is adjusting they will try something else.

asindc
08-18-2009, 10:44 AM

QFT. It should not amaze me anymore, considering how often it happens, but it does amaze me how many of our fans forget that our rookies are just that... rookies. Seriously, almost every team in MLB would like to have three rookies playing like Beckham, Getz, and Nix.

spawn
08-18-2009, 11:00 AM
QFT. It should not amaze me anymore, considering how often it happens, but it does amaze me how many of our fans forget that our rookies are just that... rookies. Seriously, almost every team in MLB would like to have three rookies playing like Beckham, Getz, and Nix.
Word. Nix is fine IMO. The majority of errors he made were at SS, which isn't his natural position. I also like Getz. I find it funny that the people willing to give up on both Getz and Nix, who are rookies, are probably the same people harping on how BA in his stint with the Sox was never given the opportunity to show his abilities.

HomeFish
08-18-2009, 11:24 AM
I think its cool that Nixs agent posts on WSI.

wmusox9
08-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I like like to think of Nix as a Uribe type of potential at the plate with more speed. Both swing for the fences both strike out alot both have lower averages. Both were mid 20's when they came to the Sox. Both middle IF (Uribe moved more to 3rd I know). If he does more than Uribe did I will be thrilled. However I also thought that Uribe would some day correct his swinging for the fences and never did. But Uribe did have some big homers for us.

Lillian
08-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I think its cool that Nixs agent posts on WSI.

I assume that you meant to put that in teal.

doublem23
08-18-2009, 02:07 PM
I assume that you meant to put that in teal.

It is conceivable that he's not wild about a guy hitting .230 and plays the infield like he's got two cement blocks around his hands.

ode to veeck
08-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I like his glove at 2B (but not as SS), we need more good D in the middle. Tough call between him and Getz, as both showing some signs this season of maybe making the show.

october23sp
08-18-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't wanna use his love tonight, or ever, for that matter.

kittle42
08-18-2009, 02:51 PM
I think it has as much to do with Getz being considered merely average, not good that causes the Nix love and honestly I understand it.

Nix projects as a 20/20 guy based on this year's stats. His offensive splits are better than Getz against either type of pitcher and his power numbers are much better. I'll take the extra 15-20 HR over the extra 15-20 SB anyday of the week.

Nix might develop into a plus bat for 2B and he's no worse of a defender than Getz is and might be better. He's certainly better at turning the DP.

Neither of them projects to be AS, but I could see a platoon next year at the least and wouldn't be shocked if Nix just flat stole the job.

Works for me.

TheVulture
08-18-2009, 03:13 PM

Yeah, the BA is weak but nine doubles, ten homeruns and 28 walks in 165 ABs are all eye poppin' good to me. His OBP is pretty solid considering the low average. And who cares if he's 26, if everyone went by that philosophy Seattle would've missed out on a HOF career by Edgar Martinez.

TheVulture
08-18-2009, 03:14 PM
I like like to think of Nix as a Uribe type of potential at the plate with more speed. Both swing for the fences both strike out alot both have lower averages.

Except Nix has already surpassed Uribe's career walk totals.

JermaineDye05
08-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I've seen Jayson take way too many pitches down the middle and then swing at a pitch in the dirt for me to give him any love. Jayson has also had a lot of horrible at bats in crucial situations. I have little to no confidence in him with the bat.

I'm happy with him defensively, anything that comes offensively is a bonus in my mind since I don't expect much. Basically any time he hits well, I eat crow. I have no problem with that.

illinifan1368
08-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Word. Nix is fine IMO. The majority of errors he made were at SS, which isn't his natural position. I also like Getz. I find it funny that the people willing to give up on both Getz and Nix, who are rookies, are probably the same people harping on how BA in his stint with the Sox was never given the opportunity to show his abilities.
BA has to be brought into the convo again?

thedudeabides
08-18-2009, 03:34 PM

Well put. A lot of people around here seem to think what you see, is what you get, with a rookie. It couldn't be further form the truth. I think Beckham's early success, which is nearly unprecedented, has worsened this view. The venom spit around here about Poreda after he had a bad outing was hilarious. People were claiming he lost all his trade value, like he peaked at that very moment. Shortly after, he was the big prospect in a deal for Peavy.

Rookies take time. I'm very happy with Beckham, Nix, and Getz. They've showed a lot. There were 63 combined major league at bats between all of them, prior to this year. 56 to Nix. I think they all can improve quite a bit, and have earned the chance to show they can.

Metalthrasher442
08-18-2009, 03:44 PM
I'll you what he has an above average glove at second base. I remember watching him in spring training he was making sick plays going to his right (or maybe it was the beginning of the year). He also has some power and I really do wonder what he could do with a full season in the majors. I have to say if either Getz or Nix were our starting second baseman all year I think we would still be in the same territory. I wouldn't mind either of them starting at second base.

SoxFan64
08-18-2009, 05:14 PM
I like his glove at 2B (but not as SS), we need more good D in the middle. Tough call between him and Getz, as both showing some signs this season of maybe making the show.

Aren't they in the show right now? :scratch:

DickAllen72
08-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Alright, I want to hear some Jason Nix love on this board!!!!
I've been touting this guy all year, and all I get here is skepticism and criticism. A lot of people dismissed his great numbers at AAA last season as the mere light air effects of Colorado Springs. He was on a pace to hit 42 doubles, 35 homers and drive in 100 runs, while hitting .300
But none of that seemed to impress most of you. Now that we've had a chance to see his power, do any of you still believe that he only hit those homers because of the thin air?

A guy who can turn the double play at second as well as he can , and have the potential to be an offense force as a middle infielder, should be someone about whom we could get excited.

He has been pulling foul balls hard all season, and now with a little regular playing time, he just might start keeping more of them fair. As I said before, I'm sorry about Getz being injured, and I do like him, but this guy has a lot more upside potential, in my opinion.

So, can we get some fresh evaluations about Jason's ability and whether or not he should start over Getz, when Chris comes off of the DL?
As is the case most of the time, Lillian, I agree 100% with your post. I like Jayson Nix. Best second baseman on the team, that's for sure. He doesn't make a great utility man because his defense at SS is brutal. But at 2B his defense is excellent.

I agree with you about the way he turns a DP as the pivot man. That's one of the things I value most from second basemen.

He has some pop in his bat, and time will tell if he can improve his batting average against RHP. If he can, he's a starter for sure. If not, he makes a good platoon partner and a serviceable utility man.

I still hope the Sox move Beckham to 2B next year but if that's not their plan I would like to see Nix get a solid shot at being the starter at 2B over Getz. He'll get the lion's share of the starts now that Getz is on the DL, so let's see what he does with this opportunity. I'll be pulling for him.

Craig Grebeck
08-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Pretty blah with the bat and good with the glove at 2B. A pretty blah platoon. I'd love to see the Sox move Beckham to 2B and get a good 3B.

cards press box
08-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Pretty blah with the bat and good with the glove at 2B. A pretty blah platoon. I'd love to see the Sox move Beckham to 2B and get a good 3B.

Chone Figgins?

Craig Grebeck
08-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Chone Figgins?
No. If he pulls a hammy he's pretty useless. He's never been a consistent producer. Would rather take a flier on a non-speed guy.

The Immigrant
08-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Would rather take a flier on a non-speed guy.

Like who?

Craig Grebeck
08-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Like who?
I really wouldn't mind taking a risk on a guy like Miguel Tejada or shelling out the dough for Troy Glaus.

I don't like Figgins. He'll command too much money for his generally iffy production. His skills won't sustain over the course of a long-term-deal. Maybe C.J. Retherford will eventually become a good enough player to plug the hole at either 2B or 3B, but I think it's probably more responsible to put Beckham in the middle infield and build around a Ramirez/Beckham tandem.