PDA

View Full Version : How big is this homestand?

Corlose 15
08-17-2009, 03:48 PM
How big is this upcoming homestand for the Sox? You've got two mediocre teams coming in with KC and Baltimore before you go on the road to Boston, New York, and Minnesota.

Meanwhile, the Tigers have Seattle for three before going on the road to Oakland, and LAA. They then come home for four with Tampa.

If the Sox take 5 games on this homestand that has to give them some positive momentum for the road trip in which they might have trouble gaining ground on the Tigers.

So in your opinion, how important is this homestand to the Sox?

lths06
08-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Well at this point in a division race being 2.5 games back in mid-to-late August, I believe each and every series is very big.

TornLabrum
08-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Well at this point in a division race being 2.5 games back in mid-to-late August, I believe each and every series is very big.

Correct. They're all big now until we either....

a) clinch
b) get eliminated.

I vote for a) btw.

russ99
08-17-2009, 03:55 PM
This homestand is very big. We need to get on a roll going into the Road Trip of DoomTM.

Besides, every matchup looks winnable, other than that Greinke vs. Contreras matchup that makes me queasy just looking at it.

It's time for the Sox to stop playing at the level of the competition and play consistently solid baseball.

JB98
08-17-2009, 03:57 PM
The Sox must have a winning homestand here if they expect to win the division.

Corlose 15
08-17-2009, 03:59 PM
This homestand is very big. We need to get on a roll going into the Road Trip of DoomTM.

Besides, every matchup looks winnable, other than that Greinke vs. Contreras matchup that makes me queasy just looking at it.

It's time for the Sox to stop playing at the level of the competition and play consistently solid baseball.

This is what irks me the most about this team, they have the complete inability to sweep somebody and build up momentum (Yankees, Angels, A's), then they tank it for a couple days.

It seems to me that if they can get some momentum, against teams they should beat, going into that roadtrip maybe they can get on a bit of a roll.

voodoochile
08-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Bigger than a breadbox, smaller than a bread delivery truck...

beasly213
08-17-2009, 04:04 PM
It's a big homestand. Also a homestand I'm worried about as the Sox often lose to teams they shouldn't. :angry:

rdwj
08-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Biggest homestand of the year!

......until the next one

DeuceUnit
08-17-2009, 04:15 PM
It's pretty damn big this time of the year. I have to be honest, some of the pitching match ups scare me. Especially Tues and Weds. Garcia has been pretty bad at AAA and is awful in his career against KC. He faces Meche who has something like a 1.94 career ERA against us. Then Weds is Greinke v Contreras which needs to further explanation. Of course anything is possible, thats why they play the games. On paper it looks a little worrying though.

getonbckthr
08-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Due to the upcoming road trip 5 out of 6 is needed.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Al Davis said it best..........

http://www.bizzyblog.com/wp-images/JustWinBaby.jpg

Thatguyoverthere
08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
After this homestand the Sox have a very tough 23 game stretch, with the only "easy" games being a series against KC. After this they go to Boston, Minnesota, and New York and then come home to Boston and KC before going out west to LA and Seattle. If the Sox don't pick up their play, they could be buried by the end of that stretch. Then again, this team does seem to come to play against the big boys, so maybe that stretch will be good for us.

chisoxfanatic
08-17-2009, 05:55 PM
If the Sox don't pick up at least 2 games on the Tigers this week, then I will consider this week to be a failure. This is a huge homestand considering the quality of the opposition. But, these are the types of games our Sox have problems with. 5 of 6 is a must.

soxfanreggie
08-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Can the Sox still win the division without a winning record in this homestand? Yes. Does it make it a heck of a lot harder to do if we don't have a winning record? Heck yes!

Lip Man 1
08-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Considering the road trip from hell is just around the corner this is a very big homestand.

They don't have many more chances to play garbage teams...they need to take advantage of it.

Lip

Jerko
08-17-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm scared of the Freddy/Jose combo we're throwing at KC the next 2 days. I know we didn't need the "fifth starter" too often, but I hate using guys like that against ****ty teams. Hope we are in striking distance when Peavy comes back. Sox did just hammer NY, so it's possible (even though it was at home), and Boston isn't setting the world on fire lately either. I might be more worried about this KC series than I should be but I just don't like Tue or Wed matchups at all.

Tragg
08-17-2009, 06:54 PM
This homestand is huge. We play bad teams, and the following road trip is killer.
We need to go undefeated here...that's why throwing away that game yesterday really hurt.

hawkjt
08-17-2009, 08:15 PM
I do not want to be down to needing sweep Detroit twice in the last week to win this thing. They need to stay within 3-4 of Detroit at least the rest of the way,then get hot the last 10 days. It is a bad formula for winning but at least it has been tried by the sox before- last year.

Hitmen77
08-17-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm scared of the Freddy/Jose combo we're throwing at KC the next 2 days. I know we didn't need the "fifth starter" too often, but I hate using guys like that against ****ty teams. Hope we are in striking distance when Peavy comes back. Sox did just hammer NY, so it's possible (even though it was at home), and Boston isn't setting the world on fire lately either. I might be more worried about this KC series than I should be but I just don't like Tue or Wed matchups at all.

This series could get pretty ugly if we don't come from behind tonight. :o:

Nelfox02
08-17-2009, 09:56 PM
huge homestand

agree the pitching match ups are scary, our hitters have to come through, niced balance effort so far in the game tonight-----but again the shoddy defense

guys like Mark, Thornton, etc have a chance to pitch over that, but you cant make these mistakes behind Contreras and Big Game Freddie---we all saw what happened on Friday.....

Waysouthsider
08-17-2009, 10:38 PM
They'd better get their sweeps in this week against Baltimore and KC...'cause next week is going to be darned ugly.....

My only hope is they seem to show up for the big games...

My worry is they go to sleep when they play the scrubs....

I'm on the edge of my seat right now freakin' at how Jenks can come in and blow this lead against KC.....

hawkjt
08-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Just watched highlights of the A's -Yanks game...A's shut them out 3-0. Ellis got a big double,and drove in Harriston....what nu? At least it happens to the Yanks also.

The Yanks can be beat, and if they stay on rotation, we might miss Burnett and CC in NY...cool.