PDA

View Full Version : Tigers acquire Aubrey Huff

Sockinchisox
08-17-2009, 03:43 PM
http://twitter.com/beckjason/status/3367255685

Marqhead
08-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Probably takes more ABs away from Ordonez.

He's probably a better option than Ordonez at this point as well.

DirtySox
08-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Detroit's farm system now has seemingly nothing left.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2009, 04:02 PM
It may just be a perception but I think Huff hits the White Sox very well.

Lip

VeeckAsInWreck
08-17-2009, 04:09 PM
It may just be a perception but I think Huff hits the White Sox very well.

Lip

This year he's hitting .333 with 2 HR's and 5 RBI's against us. In his career he's hitting .290 with 10 HR's and 35 RBI's against us.

So your perception is right Lip.

The Immigrant
08-17-2009, 04:18 PM
At least we don't have to face him this weekend...

GoGoCrede
08-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Crap.

hawkjt
08-17-2009, 04:27 PM
This comes right after Phil Rogers says that Leyland would not sit maggs to avoid the 18 million vesting for next year....looks like they killed two birds with one stone...beefing up their offense while avoiding the maggs killer option.

This is not good news for the Sox.
I am losing faith that the Sox can deal with these upcoming road trips to places where teams play great at home like Boston,NY,LAA,Seattle,Cubs,Det,Minn.....not good.

Oblong
08-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Detroit's farm system now has seemingly nothing left.

People say that after every Tiger deal involving prospects but the only prospect making any impact on the ML level sp far is Jair Jurrjens. This is going back to the 2006 Sheffield deal.

munchman33
08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Well, this isn't good news. But in the end, it's on our guys whether or not we win the division and not the Tigers. We have the better team.

oeo
08-17-2009, 04:40 PM
We're still better. We just need to take care of our own business and stop giving games away.

oeo
08-17-2009, 04:41 PM
This comes right after Phil Rogers says that Leyland would not sit maggs to avoid the 18 million vesting for next year....looks like they killed two birds with one stone...beefing up their offense while avoiding the maggs killer option.

This is not good news for the Sox.
I am losing faith that the Sox can deal with these upcoming road trips to places where teams play great at home like Boston,NY,LAA,Seattle,Cubs,Det,Minn.....not good.

Every team plays "great" at home. It's called home field advantage.

Get through September 2nd within 3 games and I like our chances. Boston, NY, and Minnesota road trip will be over with and Peavy will be in the rotation.

BadBobbyJenks
08-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Good move by the Tiggers.

We really need to take it to the Royals and Orioles this week.

MarkZ35
08-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Hopefully he falls into a slump along with the majority of the rest of their offense besides Cabrera. This doesn't make the Tigers that much better so it's still going to come down to the last few weeks.

UofCSoxFan
08-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Since the all star break Huff is hitting .239 with a .659 OPS. He hit .189 in July with a .540 OPS. In August, he improved slightly to .255 average and .702 OPS. To give some perspective as to how bad this is, Carlos Zambrano of the Cubs is a career .639 OPS hitter.

In comparison, Mags is hitting .308 post all star break with a very solid .901 ops.

I'm not too worried. In fact I'd welcome Leeland playing Huff over Mags.

Zisk77
08-17-2009, 07:07 PM
It helps us this week against Balt. because Huff is there best option at 1b-DH. he will not play 1b in detroit and is about as dangerous as Thames-Maggs and just as poor defensively so eh

TheOldRoman
08-17-2009, 07:38 PM
This just puts the Tigers in a better position to compete with us.

Whitesoxfan23
08-17-2009, 07:42 PM
I bet Maggs is pissed.

Noneck
08-17-2009, 09:00 PM
The way I figure it, I bet ya there is a better chance of the sun to start rising in the west, than Ordonez getting more than 79 PA for the rest of this year.

g0g0
08-18-2009, 08:46 AM
This sucks. He's been doing wonders for my fantasy baseball team this year lol.

Marqhead
08-18-2009, 09:03 AM
I bet Maggs is pissed.

He's known he wasn't going to get those ABs for months.

Oblong
08-18-2009, 09:55 AM
I think Magglio will reach it. The time to release him was a month ago. Now he's picked up the pace a little bit, in August he's hitting a .345/.370/.622 clip with 2 HR and 2 3B.

He needs 80 plate appearances or 36 games. Tigers have 45 games left. Barring injury he will get it.

Huff is going to probably play LF, some 3B, and DH, depending on how ready Guillen is to play LF. His throwing shoulder is still tender, which is why he's strictly batting LH now.

HomeFish
08-18-2009, 11:13 AM
People say that after every Tiger deal involving prospects but the only prospect making any impact on the ML level sp far is Jair Jurrjens. This is going back to the 2006 Sheffield deal.

Heh, stealing the White Sox business model are you?

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2009, 11:17 AM
The way I figure it, I bet ya there is a better chance of the sun to start rising in the west, than Ordonez getting more than 79 PA for the rest of this year.

Huff has played 1B and DH almost exclusively this year. He is a brutal OF. The Tigers will probably play Huff at DH, possibly 3B (where he is also brutal) or LF, where they've gotten practically no production. Mags has actually heated up post all star break. The Tigers would be stupid to play Huff over him there.

Edit...didn't see Oblong's post, but it is spot on and basically I repeat everything he said.

hawkjt
08-18-2009, 01:16 PM
I think Magglio will reach it. The time to release him was a month ago. Now he's picked up the pace a little bit, in August he's hitting a .345/.370/.622 clip with 2 HR and 2 3B.

He needs 80 plate appearances or 36 games. Tigers have 45 games left. Barring injury he will get it.

Huff is going to probably play LF, some 3B, and DH, depending on how ready Guillen is to play LF. His throwing shoulder is still tender, which is why he's strictly batting LH now.

I agree. Leyland will play the hot guy. 80 at bats is not many for 45 games. He would have to sit at least 25-30 games out of those 45.
If I remember correctly, Maggs has another option for 18 million the following year if he gets at bats...now that may be a stretch.
So Maggs has collected his 75 million on his original base deal of 5 yr 75 million...and now could get another 36 million the next two years...that deal really worked out for him.

oeo
08-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Heh, stealing the White Sox business model are you?

It's the risk you take when you trade for prospects. Failure rate is so high, you take a huge risk when acquiring potential.

Noneck
08-18-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree. Leyland will play the hot guy. 80 at bats is not many for 45 games. He would have to sit at least 25-30 games out of those 45.
If I remember correctly, Maggs has another option for 18 million the following year if he gets at bats...now that may be a stretch.
So Maggs has collected his 75 million on his original base deal of 5 yr 75 million...and now could get another 36 million the next two years...that deal really worked out for him.

I stand by what I previously said. No way Leyland will be allowed to let Ordonez get next years option.

Marqhead
08-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I stand by what I previously said. No way Leyland will be allowed to let Ordonez get next years option.

And I completely agree with you. 18 million? For how he's producing this season, no way.

Oblong
08-18-2009, 02:51 PM

Leyland has said he's not thinking about contracts or options or anything like that. He's putting the lineup he thinks gives him the best chance to win based on the 25 guys on his roster. Basically deferring to Dombrowski to make a move if they don't want the option to kick in. A few weeks ago he said Maggs and Clete Thomas were going into a LH/RH platoon. That went out the window after about a week, with Magglio facing RH pitchers. His playing time has increased.

Mike Ilitch has already said he'll do whatever it takes to win. Money's not a consideration for him.

And the option really has a net cost of $15 million since the club option is $18 with a $3 buyout.

I was certain they were going to cut him a month ago. Now I'm certain they will play him and he gets it. Of course I was wrong about cutting him so I could be wrong about him obtaining it.

UofCSoxFan
08-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Leyland has said he's not thinking about contracts or options or anything like that. He's putting the lineup he thinks gives him the best chance to win based on the 25 guys on his roster. Basically deferring to Dombrowski to make a move if they don't want the option to kick in. A few weeks ago he said Maggs and Clete Thomas were going into a LH/RH platoon. That went out the window after about a week, with Magglio facing RH pitchers. His playing time has increased.

Mike Ilitch has already said he'll do whatever it takes to win. Money's not a consideration for him.

And the option really has a net cost of $15 million since the club option is $18 with a $3 buyout.

I was certain they were going to cut him a month ago. Now I'm certain they will play him and he gets it. Of course I was wrong about cutting him so I could be wrong about him obtaining it.

Again with vastly more limited knowledge of the Tigers than you Oblong, this assessment seems to make sense to me. If they didn't want Ordonez to vest, they would have cut him earlier in the year, when he was awful. You don't cut or bench perhaps your hottest hitter outside of Cabrerra in the middle of a pennant race to save some bucks and expect your fan base to ever forgive you.

Not to mention, if the Tigers start benching guys for the sole reason of not letting them reach their incentives, good luck ever signing a free agent to an incentive laden deal again. TIgers brass knows this.

They signed Mags with the belief that the contract would vest. Now that they are actually getting production worthy of those numbers (still overpaid but at least you can somewhat justify it) they aren't about to try to win a division with a weak stick LF and a guy in Huff that would make Dye look like Clemente defensively in RF, a player that has forgotten how to hit post ASB no less.

BadBobbyJenks
08-18-2009, 07:26 PM
And he is 0-1 with two men left on PFFFFFTTTTTTTT