PDA

View Full Version : Thome out of the lineup tonight per Comcast

mantis1212
08-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I missed was it was for, I'm guessing a sore back as that's his most common ailment.

Days like this are when the depth created with the Rios acquisition really pay off. Now I assume Pods moves to left and TCQ is DH for the game tonight.

It's great when a guy like Thome needs to miss a game and you barely feel it in the lineup.

Madvora
08-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I missed was it was for, I'm guessing a sore back as that's his most common ailment.

Days like this are when the depth created with the Rios acquisition really pay off. Now I assume Pods moves to left and TCQ is DH for the game tonight.

It's great when a guy like Thome needs to miss a game and you barely feel it in the lineup.
If it doesn't say that he's hurt or anything, than I just assume this is part of the rotation with having Rios out there.

LauraJ14
08-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Mark Gonzales is reporting on twitter that its a sore left heel for Thome.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Why not DH Pods? I can stand not hearing about his horrible defense on WSI.

mantis1212
08-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Why not DH Pods? I can stand not hearing about his horrible defense on WSI.

TCQ's foot would be the main reason. In LF I don't think there's much difference between TCQ and Pods defensively.

Rohan
08-17-2009, 11:40 AM
TCQ's foot would be the main reason. In LF I don't think there's much difference between TCQ and Pods defensively.

Here's the difference: TCQ can read a ball, Podsednik can't.

It makes a HUGE difference. Because even if TCQ can't get to the ball in time to make the catch, he still knows where it is and is in the position to get it back into the infield. Podsednik just runs around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-17-2009, 11:45 AM
I thought in the Sun-Times today, they had an article saying that Carlos feels fine now. He was out of the line-up yesterday to rest mentally.

illinifan1368
08-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Ozzie, I'm begging you to DH Pods.

hawkjt
08-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Wet field, dh Carlos. I keep hearing guys like McNeil on the Score screaming that Pods should have caught that double that Dotel gave up yesterday...am I blind or did that ball hit the wall at least 12 ft high?

I did not see a conclusive slo-mo replay,but to me, it was not catchable by anyone not standing at least 7ft tall.

It was a tough chance...do you go to the wall and try to leap for a ball that is too high or play it off the wall?

McNeil is on a rampage vs Pods...never mentioning that he hit the triple that resulted in the two runs they scored.

jdm2662
08-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Wet field, dh Carlos. I keep hearing guys like McNeil on the Score screaming that Pods should have caught that double that Dotel gave up yesterday...am I blind or did that ball hit the wall at least 12 ft high?

I did not see a conclusive slo-mo replay,but to me, it was not catchable by anyone not standing at least 7ft tall.

It was a tough chance...do you go to the wall and try to leap for a ball that is too high or play it off the wall?

McNeil is on a rampage vs Pods...never mentioning that he hit the triple that resulted in the two runs they scored.

McNeil ranted about Pods in 2005 because he didn't hit any homeruns. :rolleyes: He's never liked him. His bias never ceases to amaze to me. If he wanted to point out other examples on why he is a bad fielder, feel free.

Red Barchetta
08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
McNeil ranted about Pods in 2005 because he didn't hit any homeruns. :rolleyes: He's never liked him. His bias never ceases to amaze to me. If he wanted to point out other examples on why he is a bad fielder, feel free.

Hmmm, I remember a couple of key home runs from Pods in 2005! :tongue:

Shoeless
08-17-2009, 12:39 PM

I bought his argument until he called Podsednik dumb. Putting a fork in an electrical socket is dumb. Being a below average outfielder and below average baserunner are just Pods' lot in life, doesn't make him dumb.

mantis1212
08-17-2009, 12:47 PM
I bought his argument until he called Podsednik dumb. Putting a fork in an electrical socket is dumb. Being a below average outfielder and below average baserunner are just Pods' lot in life, doesn't make him dumb.

McNeil is being quite harsh, but the pickoff at third is one of those plays a player is going to get killed on- that was a dumb play.

dickallen15
08-17-2009, 01:14 PM

You're blind.JK. If Pods was back at the wall, and I have read a scouting report regarding Pods defense saying he treats walls like they have electrical current running through them, he wouldn't have had to jump to catch the ball. Pods is a bad defensive player. He has been for a while. I don't know why anyone would expect him to make all the plays.

illinifan1368
08-17-2009, 01:26 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200908166139073&c_id=oak

It hit the "Chevron" sign.

Ranger
08-17-2009, 01:30 PM

That ball could have been caught. By the way, they said after the game yesterday that Thome would not be in the lineup today because of the heel.

chisoxfanatic
08-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Thome is making Kenny's decision easier by the week with his regular ailments. If the decision is between retaining him or Dye, I truly hope he goes with the later.

I'm thankful for all Thome has done while here, and he's a pleasure to watch, but he is the opposite of dependable.

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2009, 01:40 PM
That ball could have been caught. By the way, they said after the game yesterday that Thome would not be in the lineup today because of the heel.

And should have.

I agree with that Ranger.

But not surprised at all that he blew that play too.

He is just not a good OF. Plain and Simple.

oeo
08-17-2009, 01:41 PM

There's a difference between 'could' and 'should.' A lot of balls technically 'could' be caught, but they would be remarkable plays. That would have to be a remarkable catch, and Pods isn't going to be making any of those.

Dotel gave up a screaming line drive: there's your problem. He's lucky that ball wasn't a homerun.

And should have.

Bull****. I'd like you to name some leftfielders that make that catch. Pods is a terrible outfielder, but not many people are going to make that play, if any. Not only is it a timing play, you have to give up your body, which means he would have to back up against the wall, then jump. Without the momentum he had, he's not going to be jumping any higher.

That's an extremely difficult play, where only a very good defender is going to make the play. The only guy on our team that might have a chance, and it has a lot to do with his height, is Rios.

WisSoxFan
08-17-2009, 01:42 PM
That's the first time I've seen that play. I was watching yesterday, but had turned the TV to the PGA when Ozzie came out to talk with Dotel thinking they were going to change pitchers and by the time I turned it back the run had scored and I never did see a replay. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure looks like that ball hit about head high on the wall. If Pods just runs back to the ball and waits for it he catches it pretty easily. At least that's how it looks to me. Anyone else get that impression?

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2009, 01:42 PM
There's a difference between 'could' and 'should.' A lot of balls technically 'could' be caught, but they would be remarkable plays. That would have to be a remarkable catch, and Pods isn't going to be making any of those.

Dotel gave up a screaming line drive: there's your problem. He's lucky that ball wasn't a homerun.

In typical WSI BS style, Dotel is the problem. :rolleyes:

DirtySox
08-17-2009, 01:44 PM
That's the first time I've seen that play. I was watching yesterday, but had turned the TV to the PGA when Ozzie came out to talk with Dotel thinking they were going to change pitchers and by the time I turned it back the run had scored and I never did see a replay. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure looks like that ball hit about head high on the wall. If Pods just runs back to the ball and waits for it he catches it pretty easily. At least that's how it looks to me. Anyone else get that impression?

First time I saw it as well, and I thought it was a ball that many left fielders should catch.

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Bull****. I'd like you to name some leftfielders that make that catch. Pods is a terrible outfielder, but not many people are going to make that play.

Carl Crawford and plenty other LF would have made that catch.

Besides, go get a ****ing pair of glasses and watch the replay. It was a high pop fly and not a line drive. You expect any OF to run to the spot with how high that ball was hit.

dickallen15
08-17-2009, 02:02 PM

Bull****. I'd like you to name some leftfielders that make that catch. Pods is a terrible outfielder, but not many people are going to make that play, if any. Not only is it a timing play, you have to give up your body, which means he would have to back up against the wall, then jump. Without the momentum he had, he's not going to be jumping any higher.

That's an extremely difficult play, where only a very good defender is going to make the play. The only guy on our team that might have a chance, and it has a lot to do with his height, is Rios.

The ball was a fly ball not a screaming line drive. Pods didn't get back to the wall. It was a bad play.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Yes, we all know Scotty is a bad outfielder, but what's the solution? The Sox clearly can't have it all this season. Its a crappy situation to be in, either have a "solid" lead-off hitter or an unstable outfield.

How bout instead of complaining about a play in a game that's over and about a subject that we all know is a BIG problem, why not offer a solution? To me, the team seems to be what it is, not much room for improvement. We just have to get lucky. Our D is not going to get much better, so what do we do?

The Immigrant
08-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes, we all know Scotty is a bad outfielder, but what's the solution?

Using a late innings defensive replacement for Podsednik would be a good place to start.

LoveYourSuit
08-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Using a late innings defensive replacement for Podsednik would be a good place to start.

Yeah, I guess if they are going to insist to keep Wise on the team, start sending him out there in late innings.

DumpJerry
08-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Thome is making Kenny's decision easier by the week with his regular ailments. If the decision is between retaining him or Dye, I truly hope he goes with the later.

I'm thankful for all Thome has done while here, and he's a pleasure to watch, but he is the opposite of dependable.
Easier? Regular ailments? No on both counts. He has not missed an inordinate amount of time this year due to injury.

He is tied with Beckham for the team lead in OBP. Tied with Dye for the lead (after Richard and Buehrle) for SLG%. Leads the team with walks (66 vs. Dye who is second with 44).

He's a high OBP power hitter from the left side and you say this makes getting rid of him easy? Yeah, it's easy if you're the Twins or Tigers making that call for the Sox.

illinifan1368
08-17-2009, 03:03 PM

I'd say every other starting LF in the majors as well as Quentin.

chisoxfanatic
08-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Easier? Regular ailments? No on both counts. He has not missed an inordinate amount of time this year due to injury.
When all you do for a team is DH and you have to miss what seems to be a game or two a week, then your services aren't as necessary as someone who's always playing the field (Dye) and doesn't seem to have to take a day off quite often.

Madvora
08-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Since this is being covered in multiple threads, I thought I'd post the screen shot here.

It looks like Podsednik turned toward the wall a little too early and attempted to make the catch facing the wall. The ball ended up dropping in between him and the wall. It's hard to see where on the wall it actually hit. It looks like it was pretty much coming straight down.

You can see it best at about 43 seconds here
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200908166139073&c_id=oak

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8958/23969856.jpg

hawkjt
08-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I could not for the life of me figure out exactly where it came down. Seems like a lot of glare in that house of horrors.
Would you deem it an error for not catching it? ie. is it a routine out?

Madvora
08-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Actually, now that I watch it over and over, it looks like it might have actually landed behind his back while he was still facing the wall.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1835/54793089.jpg

Marqhead
08-17-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't believe it's a routine out, but I think an average LF makes this catch. Pods timed it poorly, and it showed.

Madvora
08-17-2009, 04:13 PM
I meant to make that catch discussion it's own thread. Did I just screw that up, or did the mods move that in here?

fram40
08-17-2009, 04:32 PM

McNeil and his sidekick are awful just awful

Listen to Tom Waddle instead and Silvy is pretty good as well

Whitesoxfan23
08-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I rather have Wise out there on defense than Pods. Wise isn't a great defender either, but at least he isn't scared of walls.