PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question...

Red Barchetta
08-17-2009, 11:00 AM
A friend and I were talking baseball the other day and both agreed that the two records or baseball events we would like to see in our lifetime is (1) the consecutive hit streak of Joe Dimaggio surpassed and (2) a player break the .400 average plateau.

The question is what would happen if a player who was pursuing one of these records/goals played for a team that was mathematically eliminated from the post season and similar to the SOX/Tigers of last season, had a "if needed" make up game at the end of the season. Let's also say the opposing team was also mathematically eliminated from the post season and the makeup game had no impact in the final standings.

Would MLB choose to play the game for a player sitting at .399/.401 or tied with Dimaggio?!

voodoochile
08-17-2009, 11:07 AM
A friend and I were talking baseball the other day and both agreed that the two records or baseball events we would like to see in our lifetime is (1) the consecutive hit streak of Joe Dimaggio surpassed and (2) a player break the .400 average plateau.

The question is what would happen if a player who was pursuing one of these records/goals played for a team that was mathematically eliminated from the post season and similar to the SOX/Tigers of last season, had a "if needed" make up game at the end of the season. Let's also say the opposing team was also mathematically eliminated from the post season and the makeup game had no impact in the final standings.

Would MLB choose to play the game for a player sitting at .399/.401 or tied with Dimaggio?!

The hit streak would carry over, so there would be no need.

And I don't believe they would play the game if it had no impact on the standings, but they might if the player was below .400. If he was above, I believe they would let it end there.

jabrch
08-17-2009, 11:12 AM

And I don't believe they would play the game if it had no impact on the standings, but they might if the player was below .400. If he was above, I believe they would let it end there.

Knowing the competitive nature it takes to be that good, I think most guys would want to win it swinging.

Eddo144
08-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Knowing the competitive nature it takes to be that good, I think most guys would want to win it swinging.
Good point.

Ted Williams played both games of a doubleheader on the final day of 1941, when sitting out the second would have assured he'd stay over .400. As we all know, he hit over .400 anyway.

There are stories that Ty Cobb sat out the last few games of a season to win the battle title once; I believe this was because the winner of the title was awarded a car. Of course, Ty Cobb is one of the biggest *******s in history, so he's probably not a good example to use.

voodoochile
08-17-2009, 11:24 AM
I remember a batting title race from the 70's I think. Madlock on the flubbies won the title on the final day by going 4-4 while the guy he was trailing sat out. Wish I could be more specific.

MisterB
08-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I remember a batting title race from the 70's I think. Madlock on the flubbies won the title on the final day by going 4-4 while the guy he was trailing sat out. Wish I could be more specific.

1976. Madlock went 4-for-4 to finish at .339; Ken Griffey wasn't in the starting lineup that last game while sitting at .338. He came off the bench and went 0-for-2 to end at .336.

Red Barchetta
08-17-2009, 12:29 PM

Agreed. However, wouldn't there be other considerations? Let's say the game is at home for the player with the hitting streak. It would be a sure sell-out (revenue) for the owner. Plus, who would want that pressure over the winter?! :o: Would the commissioner step in, etc? There are so many intangible factors, such as the opposing team's lineup, pitcher, etc.

voodoochile
08-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Agreed. However, wouldn't there be other considerations? Let's say the game is at home for the player with the hitting streak. It would be a sure sell-out (revenue) for the owner. Plus, who would want that pressure over the winter?! :o: Would the commissioner step in, etc? There are so many intangible factors, such as the opposing team's lineup, pitcher, etc.

I don't believe they'd do it for the streak. I do think they'd consider it for the batting average.

asindc
08-17-2009, 12:50 PM
If the question is about playing a make-up game that has no bearing on the standing for the sake of having an individual player pursue a record, I don't think the game gets played for that reason alone. Of course, this question would be easier to answer if MLB had a Commissioner.

fram40
08-17-2009, 01:15 PM

not Wade Boggs. He was quoted once saying that if he was hitting .400 going into the last game of the season, he might get a back ache that day and not play

voodoochile
08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
If the question is about playing a make-up game that has no bearing on the standing for the sake of having an individual player pursue a record, I don't think the game gets played for that reason alone. Of course, this question would be easier to answer if MLB had a Commissioner.

They have a commissioner. He's been very adept at growing revenue streams if nothing else. If the owner of the team with the player in question wanted to play the game to sell the tickets, I can see Bud saying yes because the one thing he does very well is make money for the owners and there might be a few people interested in seeing someone do that live.

Let's take it one step further.

What if the player had a chance to break the single season HR record? You think they'd play the game? I do.

Red Barchetta
08-17-2009, 01:32 PM
not Wade Boggs. He was quoted once saying that if he was hitting .400 going into the last game of the season, he might get a back ache that day and not play

Not surprising considering his girlfriend from the 80s also spilled that ol' Wade was happier after going 4-4 and losing than going 0-4 and winning.

fram40
08-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Not surprising considering his girlfriend from the 80s also spilled that ol' Wade was happier after going 4-4 and losing than going 0-4 and winning.

actually, it was his ex-girlfriend who quoted Wade saying he would fake a back injury. In the same interview I bet

We should probably take some of these quotes from the ex with a grain of salt

asindc
08-17-2009, 02:02 PM
They have a commissioner. He's been very adept at growing revenue streams if nothing else. If the owner of the team with the player in question wanted to play the game to sell the tickets, I can see Bud saying yes because the one thing he does very well is make money for the owners and there might be a few people interested in seeing someone do that live.

Let's take it one step further.

What if the player had a chance to break the single season HR record? You think they'd play the game? I do.

Whether or not Selig is a Commissioner is an issue best left for another thread, but I think the game gets played for revenue purposes even if no record is on the line. Revenue aside, I think it is questionable that the game gets played. However, revenue will not be ruled out as a factor, so there you have it, record or no record.

Red Barchetta
08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
actually, it was his ex-girlfriend who quoted Wade saying he would fake a back injury. In the same interview I bet

We should probably take some of these quotes from the ex with a grain of salt

Agreed! Nothing worse than a scorned woman with a microphone in her face! :?:

voodoochile
08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Whether or not Selig is a Commissioner is an issue best left for another thread, but I think the game gets played for revenue purposes even if no record is on the line. Revenue aside, I think it is questionable that the game gets played. However, revenue will not be ruled out as a factor, so there you have it, record or no record.

No, they've skipped makeup games since Bud took over that had no baring on the standings. The mitigating factor would be the record setting situation.

Red Barchetta
08-17-2009, 03:13 PM

That's why I find the question so interesting. Nobody would really care if the Pirates and Nationals make up a rain out from earlier this season if there is nothing on the line. However what if one of the Pirates is batting .399 going into the game?! Also, what if it wasn't the Nationals, rather the Dodgers and the Dodgers would have to fly all the way to Pittsburgh for the game or vice versa. Those type of intangibles would come into play.

BadBobbyJenks
08-17-2009, 03:15 PM
I just dont see how you could let the Dimaggio record hang in limbo until next season. You would have to play the game. That would be damn fine theater before the playoffs started.

Red Barchetta
08-17-2009, 03:35 PM
I just dont see how you could let the Dimaggio record hang in limbo until next season. You would have to play the game. That would be damn fine theater before the playoffs started.

I agree. Plus, could you imagine the media circus that player would have to endure during the off season and spring training?!

Also, imagine if it was one of our players, like Frank Thomas during his peak. If it was a home game, we fans would be screaming for them to play it!

voodoochile
08-17-2009, 03:49 PM
I agree. Plus, could you imagine the media circus that player would have to endure during the off season and spring training?!

Also, imagine if it was one of our players, like Frank Thomas during his peak. If it was a home game, we fans would be screaming for them to play it!

Wow, you mean baseball would get tons and tons of extra free publicity in the off season?

:tool
"That would truly suck..."

Not that they skipped a game, but Aaron hit 713 in the second to last game of the season and didn't hit 714 until the next year. Now that led to some truly ugly hate mail, but it was also a different time.

Of course with openers being one of the best selling games of the year, it would make more monetary sense to play a meaningless game and pack the park than it would be to make some team's home opener even more scalpable.