PDA

View Full Version : "Very real possibility" the Nationals will not reach an agreement with Strasburg

WizardsofOzzie
08-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Nationals have confirmed they offered him a record setting contract but didn't give a exact dollar figure. The old record is Prior's 10.5 million in 2001.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4401500

It's pretty sad when a guy who hasn't thrown a single pitch yet is trying to command more than many veteran players.

jabrch
08-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Nationals have confirmed they offered him a record setting contract but didn't give a exact dollar figure. The old record is Prior's 10.5 million in 2001.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4401500

It's pretty sad when a guy who hasn't thrown a single pitch yet is trying to command more than many veteran players.

I hope the Nats stick it to him. I hope that happens with many of the yet unsigned picks.

illinifan1368
08-16-2009, 02:36 PM
I wish there was something the league could do about Scott Boras. I also hope none of these guys sign so we can get a pay scale.

asindc
08-16-2009, 02:39 PM
**** Strasburg and Boras if they pass up this deal.

Ron Karkovice
08-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I wish there was something the league could do about Scott Boras. I also hope none of these guys sign so we can get a pay scale.

Boras is worse than Mariotti

soltrain21
08-16-2009, 02:56 PM

Teams are the ****ing idiots that give into his demands all the time. Owners helped create the monster.

gobears1987
08-16-2009, 03:00 PM
I want Strasburg to get injured doing whatever he does as an alternative to playing and never gets a dollar from the majors. **** him and **** Bora$$. If something bad happens to him, then future draft picks might sign deals instead of letting Bora$$ ruin the game.

JohnTucker0814
08-16-2009, 03:13 PM
I want Strasburg to get injured doing whatever he does as an alternative to playing and never gets a dollar from the majors. **** him and **** Bora$$. If something bad happens to him, then future draft picks might sign deals instead of letting Bora$$ ruin the game.

I think he's going to be a millionaire no matter what because I'm sure he has a huge insurance policy.

But if he turns down this offer then he will NEVER get a better offer from any team next year. It's not like he becomes a free agent, he still has to go through the draft and the Nationals will have the 1st two picks, which unless Strasburg gives them permission they can't draft him, then you're looking at the likes of Pirates and Padres... you really think they will offer more than the Nationals? This kid is playing with fire.

HawkDJ
08-16-2009, 03:52 PM
The top 3 picks in the draft, all Boras cliants, are still unsigned.

palehozenychicty
08-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I think they'll get it done. They can't possibly miss on a top pick for a second year. When you need to build from scratch, those picks need to work.

doublem23
08-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Boras is worse than Mariotti

I disagree, Boras can at least do his job very well. Do you think it's just coincidence that all these guys seek out his services?

dakuda
08-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I think he's going to be a millionaire no matter what because I'm sure he has a huge insurance policy.

But if he turns down this offer then he will NEVER get a better offer from any team next year. It's not like he becomes a free agent, he still has to go through the draft and the Nationals will have the 1st two picks, which unless Strasburg gives them permission they can't draft him, then you're looking at the likes of Pirates and Padres... you really think they will offer more than the Nationals? This kid is playing with fire.

He would have to give them permission?

That sounds like a screwed up rule. I would love for them to draft someone else as #1, and make him the #2 pick. His money would go down then. He would probably still refuse to sign (thanks, Boras) and go yet another year behind.

pearso66
08-16-2009, 08:55 PM
He would have to give them permission?

That sounds like a screwed up rule. I would love for them to draft someone else as #1, and make him the #2 pick. His money would go down then. He would probably still refuse to sign (thanks, Boras) and go yet another year behind.

Yes, he would have to give them permission. Was it the Nationals who drafted Crow last year? Whoever did, he wouldn't let them draft him again, and that's why he went to KC, and I heard he's still having troubles signing.

As for getting drafted lower, that won't matter with the money going down. There isn't a hard slotting system, so he could still ask for whatever he wants. The problem is it will be a lot easier for him to hurt his value than it will be to improve it. He's better off taking whatever they offered, I read possibly $22 mil over 3 years, and run. No way does he get more than that while waiting another year, unless he's more dominant than last year.

dakuda
08-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Yes, he would have to give them permission. Was it the Nationals who drafted Crow last year? Whoever did, he wouldn't let them draft him again, and that's why he went to KC, and I heard he's still having troubles signing.

As for getting drafted lower, that won't matter with the money going down. There isn't a hard slotting system, so he could still ask for whatever he wants. The problem is it will be a lot easier for him to hurt his value than it will be to improve it. He's better off taking whatever they offered, I read possibly $22 mil over 3 years, and run. No way does he get more than that while waiting another year, unless he's more dominant than last year.

I know that there is no hard slotting. I was just thinking along the assumption that #1 > #2. I read $17m with incentives over $20m, but didn't see anything on the years.

I think (and I could very well be wrong) that he is just going to cost himself some money if he sits out.

JB98
08-16-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't see how either side stands to gain if they fail to reach an agreement.

Ron Karkovice
08-16-2009, 09:57 PM
I disagree, Boras can at least do his job very well. Do you think it's just coincidence that all these guys seek out his services?

Ha. What I meant was that Boras annoys me more than even Mariotti. Of course Boras is quite the business man. I wouldn't mind having his life:cool:.

akingamongstmen
08-17-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't see how either side stands to gain if they fail to reach an agreement.

I completely agree. The Nationals continue to look like a joke and Strasburg puts his financial future and baseball career in serious jeopardy.

fram40
08-17-2009, 03:11 PM
I completely agree. The Nationals continue to look like a joke and Strasburg puts his financial future and baseball career in serious jeopardy.

the only guy who makes out is Boras. But the Nats and Strasburg both lose - altho Strasborg could get his money next year. But there is the injury risk.

asindc
08-17-2009, 03:13 PM

Yes, it was the Nats who drafted Crow last year, a fact that Boras is trying to use as leverage. Of course, KC is smartly using the fact that Crow did not sign last year as leverage, which is why Strasburg should just take the biggest signing bonus in history and start his career. Anything else is greedy and foolhardy.

The Immigrant
08-17-2009, 03:16 PM
the only guy who makes out is Boras. But the Nats and Strasburg both lose - altho Strasborg could get his money next year. But there is the injury risk.

Boras only gets paid if Strasburg gets paid, so he would indirectly take on the injury risk. The difference between the two is that Boras is already set for life and can afford to gamble with someone else's livelihood for the sake of his own pride, ego and reputation. Still, the final decision will be Strasburg's to make.

october23sp
08-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Pitchers has a lot less of a success rate from college to the pros don't they? IIRC Mr. Perfect Mark Buehrle was cut from his high school team his junior year. Pitchers have so much of a higher fail rate in my opinion. With fielders/batters it doesn't really matter what level you are at if you have the swing and the ability in the field.

**** anyone asking for this much, especially a pitcher.

WizardsofOzzie
08-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Deadline only 10 minutes away. Don't think it's gonna happen

Sockinchisox
08-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Strasburg signs, 15.67 mil over 4 yrs.

http://twitter.com/injuryexpert/status/3376202148

jabrch
08-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Strasburg signs, 15.67 mil over 4 yrs.

http://twitter.com/injuryexpert/status/3376202148

No shock. Both sides had too much to lose.

Britt Burns
08-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Did Ackley sign?

JermaineDye05
I don't like to root for injuries for players. I hope Strasburg never finds his potential or he can't get anything over the plate except for his fastball and ends up getting shelled in the majors.

NDSox12
Did Ackley sign?

Yes. $9.5 million.

jabrch
08-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Do we know if Crowe signed yet?

DSpivack
08-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Did Ackley sign?

Supposedly yes, for $9.5 mil.

Big D
08-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Do we know if Crowe signed yet?

No, but the deadline doesn't apply to him because he has no more college eligibility left. He has until next year's draft to sign.

soxinem1
08-17-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't like to root for injuries for players. I hope Strasburg never finds his potential or he can't get anything over the plate except for his fastball and ends up getting shelled in the majors.

Hmmm, sounds like a certain Matt White from TAM who got 10.2 million, and had 0 Wins, 0 Losses, and 0 appearances in MLB.

Or Ben McDonald of BAL who was supposed to be an ace for years.

Still, nearly $4 million a year for four years guaranteed for a guy with no experience....... Wow. Just ridiculous!

DSpivack
08-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Hmmm, sounds like a certain Matt White from TAM who got 10.2 million, and had 0 Wins, 0 Losses, and 0 appearances in MLB.

Or Ben McDonald of BAL who was supposed to be an ace for years.

Still, nearly $4 million a year for four years guaranteed for a guy with no experience....... Wow. Just ridiculous!

Well, the Sox gave a guy with zero MLB experience a 4-year, $10 million contract last offseason.

BadBobbyJenks
08-17-2009, 11:27 PM

Why?

Big D
08-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Why?

Because he got a big contract. Obviously that makes him a terrible person.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I assume he'll be in their rotation by June of next year probably just in time to face the Sox.

Lip

BadBobbyJenks
08-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Because he got a big contract. Obviously that makes him a terrible person.

Silly me.

Big D
08-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Well, he might be up in the big leagues as early as next month, so we'll see how good he is. If he ends up becoming as good as he's supposed to be, the $15 million will be peanuts. It's a gamble to spend that much on an unproven player, but it's not like the Nats can sign anyone with his potential on the free agent market for $4 million a year.

NDSox12
08-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Well, he might be up in the big leagues as early as next month, so we'll see how good he is. If he ends up becoming as good as he's supposed to be, the $15 million will be peanuts. It's a gamble to spend that much on an unproven player, but it's not like the Nats can sign anyone with his potential on the free agent market for $4 million a year.

He hasn't pitched in over two months. There is no way he will be pitching in the big leagues this season.

oeo
08-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Good for the Nats. They still need to put a ceiling on what these guys can get out of the draft, though.

oeo
08-17-2009, 11:38 PM
He hasn't pitched in over two months. There is no way he will be pitching in the big leagues this season.

I doubt he's been sitting on his hands for two months.

Big D
08-17-2009, 11:38 PM

I wouldn't do it either, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Nats give him a start or two in September to sell some tickets. For whatever it's worth, the story on their website mentions that he might be up as early as September.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090817&content_id=6472226&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

NDSox12
08-17-2009, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't do it either, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Nats give him a start or two in September to sell some tickets. For whatever it's worth, the story on their website mentions that he might be up as early as September.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090817&content_id=6472226&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Wow, I think that is absolutely ludicrous, but the Nats have been known to make a bad decision or two.

oeo
08-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Wow, I think that is absolutely ludicrous, but the Nats have been known to make a bad decision or two.

The Nationals have an idea of the type of shape he's in. You're basing an opinion off of Strasburg doing nothing for two months, which is doubtful.

JermaineDye05
08-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Why?

Because of the circus that's been going on the past couple of months. I think I just don't like him because of his agent. Thank god Boras doesn't represent the Danks brothers anymore.

Big D
08-17-2009, 11:45 PM

Yeah, that's where the money might actually hurt him. Because of the bonus they gave him, they're going to feel the need to rush him. I don't know what harm it would do to give him at least a few months in the minors to acclimate himself to pro ball. Rushing him might be the easiest way to ruin him.

NDSox12
08-17-2009, 11:50 PM
The Nationals have an idea of the type of shape he's in. You're basing an opinion off of Strasburg doing nothing for two months, which is doubtful.

Well, my concern isn't that he is not in game shape. I just don't think you go from not pitching in any games for two months, not to mention never having thrown an inning of professional baseball, to suddenly pitching in the big leagues.

I don't think it is an injury risk. I just don't see how he could be ready to face MLB hitters so soon.

DSpivack
08-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Yeah, that's where the money might actually hurt him. Because of the bonus they gave him, they're going to feel the need to rush him. I don't know what harm it would do to give him at least a few months in the minors to acclimate himself to pro ball. Rushing him might be the easiest way to ruin him.

It's not like rushing will help the team that much. Silly thing to do, unless they think he's absolutely ready.

oeo
08-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Well, my concern isn't that he is not in game shape. I just don't think you go from not pitching in any games for two months, not to mention never having thrown an inning of professional baseball, to suddenly pitching in the big leagues.

I don't think it is an injury risk. I just don't see how he could be ready to face MLB hitters so soon.

We're talking meaningless Nats games, not a pennant race. The Nationals are a minor league team in a major league park. I don't think it will hurt him if he has a couple starts to end the year.

If he's as good as advertised, getting shellacked a couple of times won't bother him a bit.

DSpivack
08-18-2009, 12:20 AM
We're talking meaningless Nats games, not a pennant race. The Nationals are a minor league team in a major league park. I don't think it will hurt him if he has a couple starts to end the year.

If he's as good as advertised, getting shellacked a couple of times won't bother him a bit.

He's been so acclaimed more because his stuff is "MLB-ready" than his supposed top potential, no?

palehozenychicty
08-18-2009, 01:23 AM
If I were the Nats, I'd just wait until next year. Then they can get the SI cover boy, Bryce Harper, and give him $5 million/year for 6 years. :redneck

doublem23
08-18-2009, 07:27 AM
I doubt he's been sitting on his hands for two months.

I'm sure he's been working out, but there's no way he's been throwing. Last thing you need to do while in the middle of a contract negotiation is blow your arm out.

asindc
08-18-2009, 09:51 AM

Since I have adopted the Nats as my NL team, I'm torn about this. I wanted the Nats to hold the line at 12.5 million. The actual is bad enough, but some Nats fans were saying they should have gone up to 25 million if necessary. I generally root unconditionally for any player on a team I root for, but Strasburg has ZERO slack as far as I'm concerned. I won't be booing, but I will certainly heckle his ass if he doesn't pitch like an All Star within 1.5 years in the majors.

thedudeabides
08-18-2009, 10:04 AM

I agree with you here. I could see him getting a couple of starts. Even if they limit him to four or five innings. If he does well, doesn't that really help his confidence? He's on a major league contract already, so it's not like they're burning an option or anything.

I could see the Nats using him as a marketing tool. They need to sell tickets bad. If people see him throw well and get excited, it creates a little buzz going into next year, where maybe they can sell some season tickets. They don't have a whole lot else going for them.

khan
08-18-2009, 10:05 AM

I don't think this is unreasonable. Since MLB and the MLBPA can't agree on a slotting system, the only thing that can help control costs is a string of failed top prospects.

As others have said here, why should an unproven player get this kind of money, other than the stupidity of the system? The proven player should ALWAYS be worth more than the unproven player.

asindc
08-18-2009, 10:20 AM
I agree with you here. I could see him getting a couple of starts. Even if they limit him to four or five innings. If he does well, doesn't that really help his confidence? He's on a major league contract already, so it's not like they're burning an option or anything.

I could see the Nats using him as a marketing tool. They need to sell tickets bad. If people see him throw well and get excited, it creates a little buzz going into next year, where maybe they can sell some season tickets. They don't have a whole lot else going for them.

The early word on the Nats boards is that SS might only pitch a couple of games in the minors this season. No MLB games are being considered.

Marqhead
08-18-2009, 10:42 AM
The early word on the Nats boards is that SS might only pitch a couple of games in the minors this season. No MLB games are being considered.

I'm hoping he pitches for Single A Hagerstown, it would be cool to see him pitch once before the majors.

thedudeabides
08-18-2009, 11:05 AM

That would probably be the smart thing to do, but the Nats haven't always been known to do that. Have they even decided on a GM yet?

asindc
08-18-2009, 11:16 AM
That would probably be the smart thing to do, but the Nats haven't always been known to do that. Have they even decided on a GM yet?

Not yet. Depending on who you listen to, Rizzo either had very little to do with the SS negotiations, or was auditioning for the permanent job with them.

PKalltheway
08-18-2009, 03:22 PM
If I were the Nats, I'd just wait until next year. Then they can get the SI cover boy, Bryce Harper, and give him $5 million/year for 6 years. :redneck
Provided the Nats still finish with the worst record. It seemed like a slam dunk that they would finish with it a couple of weeks ago, now Pittsburgh is right on their tail.

BadBobbyJenks
08-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Because of the circus that's been going on the past couple of months. I think I just don't like him because of his agent. Thank god Boras doesn't represent the Danks brothers anymore.

Someone made this point in Law's chat today:
Kenshin Kawakami got 3 years 23 million in the offseason last year Strasburg got 15 million over 4 years.

Is there a person on earth that would Kawakami over Strasburg?

Big D
08-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Someone made this point in Law's chat today:
Kenshin Kawakami got 3 years 23 million in the offseason last year Strasburg got 15 million over 4 years.

Is there a person on earth that would Kawakami over Strasburg?

Viciedo got $10 million too, and nobody said a word. And Viciedo was just as unproven as any of the top draft picks.

soxfanreggie
08-18-2009, 08:54 PM
I also don't like the comparisons that Johnson, Martinez, and Smoltz (9 Cy Youngs) are getting paid less combined than Strasburg. They are all in the last year or two of their careers. All are considered "lock" Hall-of-Famers, but none of them are worth huge contracts at this stage or their careers. The other thing they don't say is that the $15 million is guaranteed to lock him up for several years, not just one.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=4407622

Baseball isn't even as bad as the NFL where guys get $30+ million guaranteed before even playing a snap. I would even think some of the guys that complain that rookies get a lot of money got huge deals themselve. The guys who would have the most beef should be the guys who were drafted late or undrafted and are fringe starters/key reserves. They are going to make more money than most of us; however, they will not be guaranteed near what some of these rookies get.

asindc
08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Viciedo got $10 million too, and nobody said a word. And Viciedo was just as unproven as any of the top draft picks.

Viciedo is not a pitcher. It's a big distinction.

Big D
08-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Viciedo is not a pitcher. It's a big distinction.

Strasburg is almost certainly going to be in the big leagues next year though, while Viciedo probably still won't be. It's obviously too early to give up on Viciedo, but he's not exactly tearing up AA this year. Viciedo also got more money than #2 pick Dustin Ackley (who is not a pitcher) got, and I don't think there's one person in baseball who thinks Viciedo is a better prospect than Ackley is. Hell, the old record for a draft bonus was $10.5 million, and that's almost what he got. And the Cuban pitcher who recently defected may get even more. I don't know if he'll get Strasburg money, but he may come closer than many people think.