PDA

View Full Version : Street Parking near the Cell

doublem23
08-16-2009, 01:24 PM
I think we've been over this before, but there's been a lot of gentrification around the Cell... I'm not terribly worried about leaving my car on the street during a game, any hot spots for parking to avoid the ridiculously overpriced lots?

MeteorsSox4367
08-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I've noticed that some people park on Michigan Ave. near De La Salle. It's an easy walk and not all that far from the Cell. Most people I've seen park from 33rd to 35th on Michigan on both sides of the street.

I'd also consider letting people park in my spot in the staff lot at De La Salle for a cool $50 :)

BadBobbyJenks
08-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I always park on Michigan by the school. Not a bad walk at all and its free! Thanks to whoever tipped me on this board a year ago.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I parked on Halsted south of 35th twice last year. Not like I have a flashy car or anything, so I took my chances with the neighborhood.

dickallen15
08-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I think we've been over this before, but there's been a lot of gentrification around the Cell... I'm not terribly worried about leaving my car on the street during a game, any hot spots for parking to avoid the ridiculously overpriced lots?

Go to Shinnock's park on the street, have a beer or two and ask them for a parking pass for the street.

Todd5150
08-16-2009, 04:04 PM
i always park just north of 28th & wells. Its a straight walk to the park down wells through a great neighborhood.

skobabe8
08-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I always park on Michigan by the school. Not a bad walk at all and its free! Thanks to whoever tipped me on this board a year ago.

That's where I've been parking since we moved to the 1800 block of South Michigan.

Talk about easy:
*16-17 blocks from my place
*never had a problem
*you walk by Starbucks, Jimmy John's and Mother Butters Popcorn on your way to USCF so you can fill up on goodies (and a pizza place soon supposedly)
*no traffic after the game
*And oh yeah...ITS FREE

kevingrt
08-16-2009, 07:16 PM
I park off 29th and Canal... about a 6 block walk and not bad at all.

JimmyJoe
08-16-2009, 07:18 PM
That's where I've been parking since we moved to the 1800 block of South Michigan.

Talk about easy:
*never had a problem
*you walk by Starbucks, Jimmy John's and Mother Butters Popcorn on your way to USCF so you can fill up on goodies (and a pizza place soon supposedly)
*And oh yeah...ITS FREE

Then you can go to Kroll's after the game!

jamokes
08-16-2009, 07:27 PM
We park just south of 39th st just west of the viaduct. It's an industrial area, real close and no problems.

skobabe8
08-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Then you can go to Kroll's after the game!

You betcha. :cool:

gobears1987
08-16-2009, 09:20 PM

Talk about easy:
*never had a problem
*And oh yeah...ITS FREE
And the pizza place opening up soon is Miller Pizza Co. They used to have one in Valpo and their pizza is amazing. I always stop in at Mother Butters Popcorn. Farmer is known to stop there after day games. They often give out free water bottles before the games. I took them a few games and felt like I had to spend money there the next time. I'm very glad I did. Their popcorn is very addicting. I look forward to it almost as much as the grilled dog with onions.

kevingrt
08-16-2009, 10:51 PM

Michigan and what? What intersection?

amsteel
08-16-2009, 11:12 PM
For the last 5 years or so I park west of Halsted on 37th or 38th and never had a problem.

illinifan1368
08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
For the last 5 years or so I park west of Halsted on 37th or 38th and never had a problem.
That isn't permit parking?

Rohan
08-17-2009, 09:33 AM

Yeah i'm interested in parking there today. What intersection to you park near?

kaufsox
08-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah i'm interested in parking there today. What intersection to you park near?
AHHH!!! the cat is finally out of the bag!!! I've been parking over here for years and never saw it mentioned on WSI!! Well, welcome to the party. Park on Michigan anywhere between 31 and 35. You can either walk down 35th for a stop at Jimmy John's and Starbucks or walk through IIT a greater example of modern architecture you will never find. (two Mies Vander Roe [sp] Helmut Jahn, and I can't remember who did the BUTT) Let's just hope they don't meter Mich Ave for next season...:smile:

kevingrt
08-17-2009, 11:50 AM
AHHH!!! the cat is finally out of the bag!!! I've been parking over here for years and never saw it mentioned on WSI!! Well, welcome to the party. Park on Michigan anywhere between 31 and 35. You can either walk down 35th for a stop at Jimmy John's and Starbucks or walk through IIT a greater example of modern architecture you will never find. (two Mies Vander Roe [sp] Helmut Jahn, and I can't remember who did the BUTT) Let's just hope they don't meter Mich Ave for next season...:smile:

You know Daley reads WSI.

BlackSox
08-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Not sure if this will be helpful, as I haven't done it in a few years, but I used to park on Princeton, just north of 30th street (where permit parking ends), and walk the 6 or so blocks to the stadium -- sometimes stopping at Jimbo's on the way.

nasox
08-17-2009, 01:48 PM
I park just north of 35th on Michigan or Indiana. Never had a problem here either and its free. I usually park in front of that nursing home on the east side of Michigan.

BadBobbyJenks
08-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Right before 35th street in front of the De La Salle school.

I am going to be pissed if I have to park a block farther now after this thread!

DumpJerry
08-17-2009, 02:31 PM

I am going to be pissed if I have to park a block farther now after this thread!
Which has made me wonder why people are posting here. Reminds me of a few years back when various road construction projects made getting to the park from downtown and points north a challenge when driving. Someone called into the pre-game show and spilled the beans about the Canal Street Secret. The radio hosts were laughing as they pictured the few drivers who knew about it hunting down the caller and killing him.

Before I entered into my current private parking arrangement (I have a friend who lives three blocks from the park and lets me use his place), I sometimes would park on the near northside by the Red Line (like the Clybourn stop) and take the Red Line down.

fram40
08-17-2009, 02:58 PM

likewise - don't take my spot!

From downtown, I used to take the green line to the park - much less crowded thant the red line. Then Lawrence Holmes mentioned it on the Score - how great the Green Line is to the game. I was not happy that he mentioned it, but it did not make much difference crowd-wise.

Streets
08-17-2009, 05:48 PM
That isn't permit parking?

It will be soon.

Warriorjan
08-17-2009, 07:00 PM
I discovered Canal St. route 25 years ago - now it gets crowded (sigh). I know someone in the neighborhood who gives me a pass, but before that I used to park regularly around 29th and Canal - about a mile walk. I have a friend that does the Michigan Ave. thing as well. I suppose it's just a matter of time before that becomes permit as well. While many many families/people have been in Bridgeport for generations, obviously with so much gentrification going on there are lots of newcomers. In those cases I think permit parking should be banned, as it's not like they didn't know there was a ballpark there when they moved in, IMO.

skobabe8
08-17-2009, 10:27 PM

Yeah this might turn into a huge mistake.

Luckily living so close, we can usually get there fairly early.

skobabe8
08-17-2009, 10:30 PM
And the pizza place opening up soon is Miller Pizza Co. They used to have one in Valpo and their pizza is amazing. I always stop in at Mother Butters Popcorn. Farmer is known to stop there after day games. They often give out free water bottles before the games. I took them a few games and felt like I had to spend money there the next time. I'm very glad I did. Their popcorn is very addicting. I look forward to it almost as much as the grilled dog with onions.

I assumed this was the same as the Gary, IN, Miller Pizza Co. What happened to the Valpo location?

I looked in the windows last week and it looked like there is no work being done inside. Even though that sign has been up since maybe May, I doubt they open before the end of the season.

ChicagoRushFan
08-18-2009, 12:58 AM
I for one appreciate this thread, I'll have to check these out. For me the price of parking is the No. 1 reason I don't attend Sox games. I'd like to go about seven times a year or so, but I usually only go about twice instead.

Cost of living in Chicago is tough and all, but 23 bucks to park my car is just too big of a pill to swallow. I have no ill will towards the Sox for their price, if people will pay for it then they should go for it. For me, I will just stick to games on TV.

DumpJerry
08-18-2009, 07:29 AM
I for one appreciate this thread, I'll have to check these out. For me the price of parking is the No. 1 reason I don't attend Sox games. I'd like to go about seven times a year or so, but I usually only go about twice instead.

Cost of living in Chicago is tough and all, but 23 bucks to park my car is just too big of a pill to swallow. I have no ill will towards the Sox for their price, if people will pay for it then they should go for it. For me, I will just stick to games on TV.
Why drive when you can take the train for $2.25 (or is it $2.50?) each way? Park near a Green Line or Red Line station anywhere along those lines.

Warriorjan
08-18-2009, 08:25 AM
"Anywhere" might be pushing it, but I agree with the concept. I have friends who park by the green line in Oak Park and take that, and my neighbors park by the Brown Line and do that all the time.

doublem23
08-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Why drive when you can take the train for $2.25 (or is it $2.50?) each way? Park near a Green Line or Red Line station anywhere along those lines.

$2.25 for now.

Having the Metra station at 35th St. next year is going to be huge... Not for me, but for plenty of other people.

amsteel
08-18-2009, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't go to nearly as many games if I didn't utilize some type of free parking. Since I usually drive in alone and meet people at the stadium paying $23 without splitting it is too much for me.

Out of all the midwest stadiums (with the exception of Wrigley) I've been to 23$ is by far the highest for non-VIP parking.

ChicagoRushFan
08-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Where I live and work it doesn't make that the best option time wise. I'd gladly take the PACE shuttle, but I live too close to the city to make that work cause I'd spend half an hour driving back where I came.

Going on what another poster said, the Sox parking is the highest I've come across on my travels. I think the Dodgers and Angels was 15 when I was out there last year. I'm sure its worst out east though, I haven't been out there yet.

Places like Minnesota, Tampa, St. Louis, Detroit, etc. where you have lots of local lots is awesome.

JimmyJoe
08-18-2009, 11:56 AM

That would be The De La Salle Institute that you are referring to.

kevingrt
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM

When you are coming from the north-side (Arlington Heights area) taking CTA is a bit of a joke because it takes so long. It's a good 45 minute drive to the Rosemont stop on the Blue Line or 45 minutes to one hour getting to the skokie swift. Plus add in the additional train hour and it's a longer train ride there then car ride.

And going home is not bad at all really after the Loop. And once they open those left lanes on 90/94 the drive will be easy.

ewokpelts
08-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I have a pass.

BadBobbyJenks
08-18-2009, 12:28 PM
That would be The De La Salle Institute that you are referring to.

Home of the Meteors.

MeteorsSox4367
08-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Home of the Meteors.

And employer of some of the coolest posters on this board!:D: