PDA

View Full Version : Is Pods a better OF than Quentin?

cburns
08-16-2009, 02:11 AM
Before Kenny traded for Rios, Ozzie would always put Wise in CF as a defensive replacement and move Pods to left. Even with Carlos gimping around this year, is he still a better LF than Pods? He obviously has the stronger arm, but does he get better routes/jumps on the ball? I'm not sure what any of the stats say about their respective efforts at defense, but I don't cringe when a ball is hit to LF when Carlos is out there like I do when Pods is there.

I suppose this argument can be taken into the offseason as far as retaining or letting Pods go. Typically your bench guys will be able to play multiple positions, provide speed, or have some pop. Pods really only provides one of those, and his speed will only be in decline. Having said that he is the only leadoff hitter on the team. Is there a spot for Pods on the team next year?

hawkjt
08-16-2009, 07:31 AM
I was a bit surprised that Pods dh'ed yesterday with Carlos in left, but I think they just wanted to give Pods a bit of a rest.
With his bad foot, I think Carlos is not quite as good as Pods in left. Pods is faster anyway,but add the foot issue and Carlos will not get to balls that Pods will get to. Arm wise, Carlos is a better.

A healthy Carlos is probably a bit better than Pods out there but it is close.
Neither would be considered exceptional,but passable left-fielders.
If Pods finishes strong...right around .300 with .350+ oba...retain him,move Carlos to right, and leave Pods in left. Rios has already established that he has great range in center which will hide shortcomings from both Carlos and Pods. That outfield will be reasonably athletic. Carlos is faster than he looks, Pods is still fast, and Rios is like a taller Joe dimaggio floating gracefully in center.

Put JD at DH,find a 5th starter,and plug in another good bullpen arm or two...and we are ready to go in 2010.

ode to veeck
08-16-2009, 08:21 AM
I like the idea of playing Pods in left some to spell The's foot a bit as he continues to heal

balke
08-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Pods can get to more balls probably, but not by much cause I think Carlos gets better reads. Pods will also whiff when reaching for a ball on the run though and turn an out into a triple... so I'd say advantage Quentin. Quentin also throws better IMO. I remember in 05' teams would seemingly aim at Pods in any sacrifice situation. He can't throw.

Save McCuddy's
08-16-2009, 10:12 AM
I was a bit surprised that Pods dh'ed yesterday with Carlos in left, but I think they just wanted to give Pods a bit of a rest.
With his bad foot, I think Carlos is not quite as good as Pods in left. Pods is faster anyway,but add the foot issue and Carlos will not get to balls that Pods will get to. Arm wise, Carlos is a better.

A healthy Carlos is probably a bit better than Pods out there but it is close.
Neither would be considered exceptional,but passable left-fielders.
If Pods finishes strong...right around .300 with .350+ oba...retain him,move Carlos to right, and leave Pods in left. Rios has already established that he has great range in center which will hide shortcomings from both Carlos and Pods. That outfield will be reasonably athletic. Carlos is faster than he looks, Pods is still fast, and Rios is like a taller Joe dimaggio floating gracefully in center.

Put JD at DH,find a 5th starter,and plug in another good bullpen arm or two...and we are ready to go in 2010.

Both JD and Carlos are better in the OF than Pods. I'm not saying that I don't look forward to the day that Dye moves to 1B or DH, but it won't happen as long as Pods remains in our starting OF.

UChicagoHP
08-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Pods is a horrific OF, and a healthy Quentin is a much better defender. Pretty much every defensive metric worth a damn will show this. On the other hand, I do believe Quentin is suffering a bit, and is a 60% Quentin = Pods? I don't think there is much of a difference. Ideally Quentin would be DH'ing(and although it's a glass half-empty view, I think for the sake of his career, he will be moved to DH for good once Thome retires/moves-on), but the Sox have a pretty damn good one at the moment who is getting on base 38% of the time.

RedPinStripes
08-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Both are pretty brutal defensively.

jabrch
08-16-2009, 02:24 PM
I like the idea of playing Pods in left some to spell The's foot a bit as he continues to heal

That's very funny. I haven't see that word used as a proper noun alone before.

Nice.

asindc
08-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Both are pretty brutal defensively.

I wouldn't call Quentin brutal defensively when healthy. He's just an average OF, no more, no less. With his bat, I'll take that. Pods, on the other hand, plays OF only because he'd be worse at any other position. He's not good at it at all.

jabrch
08-16-2009, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't call Quentin brutal defensively when healthy. He's just an average OF, no more, no less. With his bat, I'll take that. Pods, on the other hand, plays OF only because he'd be worse at any other position. He's not good at it at all.

I agree. With few exceptions, there is no such thing as a great defensive LF. If you were - you'd be a RF or a CF. Now there are some cases where a guy who should be playing RF/CF is moved to LF because a better guy is in his spot (Pierre for LAD is a great LF - but really is a mediocre to below avg CF).

But LFs are LFs because they lack the arm or speed to be CFs or RFs.

TheVulture
08-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Both JD and Carlos are better in the OF than Pods. I'm not saying that I don't look forward to the day that Dye moves to 1B or DH, but it won't happen as long as Pods remains in our starting OF.

Yes. He's not as quick as he once was, but Dye is still a much better OFer than Pods, and at least a bit better than TCQ, too, in my debatable opinion. You'd have to be nuts to DH him while you've got Carlos and Pods roaming the OF. He'd make a better LFer than both of them and be more than adequate over there. I wouldn't mind Carlos taking over DH next year with Dye in left and a new RFer who can play defense. That would take care of the OF defensive woes in a hurry.

oeo
08-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Quentin is still better. Pods is by far the worst outfielder on this team.

JB98
08-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Quentin is a better outfielder than Pods. Quentin's defense is worse this season than it was last season, probably because of the injury.

It's Dankerific
08-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Pods is a defensive liability each and every time he steps onto the field.

At least TCQ has an excuse.

LoveYourSuit
08-16-2009, 07:01 PM
As evidence by today's game which is fresh in our minds, Pods continues to be an awful defensive OF.

It's Dankerific
08-16-2009, 07:08 PM
As evidence by today's game which is fresh in our minds, Pods continues to be an awful defensive OF.

Its not even a rare occurence.

Daver
08-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Is Pods a better OF than Quentin?

No.

ode to veeck
08-16-2009, 08:09 PM
I agree. With few exceptions, there is no such thing as a great defensive LF. If you were - you'd be a RF or a CF. Now there are some cases where a guy who should be playing RF/CF is moved to LF because a better guy is in his spot (Pierre for LAD is a great LF - but really is a mediocre to below avg CF).

But LFs are LFs because they lack the arm or speed to be CFs or RFs.

When he was younger, Billy Williams was a great LF. He didn't have a sniper's gun like the Pirate's Clemente, but he covered every nook and cranny of the Urinal very well.

russ99
08-16-2009, 08:23 PM

Again, one incident in Oakland, is poisoning this argument. As for today's play in the 8th:

A) He would still have had to jump for the ball had he taken the extra step or two

B) No way Quentin is anywhere near that ball

C) Dotel hung one and it hit off the wall. How is that Pod's mistake?

I maintain Scott is an adequate outfielder. Not good, not bad, adequate. Going back on balls sometimes gives him trouble, but his range more than often makes up for it.

The only way you can say Quentin is a better fielder than Pods is his throwing arm, which technically has nothing to do with fielding a baseball.

LoveYourSuit
08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Again, one incident in Oakland, is poisoning this argument. As for today's play in the 8th:

A) He would still have had to jump for the ball had he taken the extra step or two

B) No way Quentin is anywhere near that ball

C) Dotel hung one and it hit off the wall. How is that Pod's mistake?

I maintain Scott is an adequate outfielder. Not good, not bad, adequate. Going back on balls sometimes gives him trouble, but his range more than often makes up for it.

The only way you can say Quentin is a better fielder than Pods is his throwing arm, which technically has nothing to do with fielding a baseball.

Not saying Quentin is Willie Mays out there. No way.

Just the best out of the two.

Let's face it, all 3 OF positions are average to below. Rios has a chance to be a plus man in CF once he gets used to playing there again.

areilly
08-16-2009, 09:25 PM
For what it's worth, Quentin is actually a right fielder by trade.

Daver
08-16-2009, 09:27 PM
For what it's worth, Quentin is actually a right fielder by trade.

He's far better off being average at best in left field.