PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-15 Out of sight but not out of Mind Postgame Winner

SoxGirl4Life
08-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Won the series.. now lets sweep!:bandance:

NDSox12
08-15-2009, 06:59 PM
A typical Saturday afternoon game for me... listening to Farmer and DJ. So you all got to enjoy it the same way as me this time!

Good to finally win one convincingly. Congrats to Thome for tying Mr. October!

manders_01
08-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Great thread title. :cool: Glad we had a White Sox winner today! :bandance:

Bucky F. Dent
08-15-2009, 07:00 PM
One Word - SWEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JermaineDye05
08-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Player of the game (This is easy): Gavin

Play of the game: Beckham's 2 out 2-run single in the 6th. Sox had a chance to blow a huge scoring opportunity. If they did that, the momentum could have swung and the A's would still be in striking distance with 3 runs. Beckham's single gave the sox a comfortable 5 run lead and then JD followed suit with an RBI single which could have been the death blow for the A's.

JB98
08-15-2009, 07:03 PM
The Sox had a good performance today. I thought the biggest hit of the game was the two-out, two-run double by Beckham in the sixth. There were runners on second and third with one out, and Nix failed to get anybody home. Then, Beckham picked up those runners to turn a 4-1 lead into a 6-1 advantage. With Floyd on the mound, the lead felt safe at that point.

The Sox need to sweep these guys. I don't want to hear any more **** about how they "just need to win series." Bull****. They need to win games. They are two games back with 45 to play. We're moving toward crunch time now. Tomorrow's game is just as important as today's was, and I want to see them kick this lousy Oakland team around again tomorrow afternoon.

LoveYourSuit
08-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Sox games much more enjoyable when you don't have to watch them.

Solid outing by Floyd again, he has been the horse of our staff lately.

Danks needs to look at this kid and take notice.

Let's sweep these guys !!! :bandance:

GoGoCrede
08-15-2009, 07:06 PM
I love you, Gavin Floyd!

LITTLE NELL
08-15-2009, 07:07 PM
The Sox had a good performance today. I thought the biggest hit of the game was the two-out, two-run double by Beckham in the sixth. There were runners on second and third with one out, and Nix failed to get anybody home. Then, Beckham picked up those runners to turn a 4-1 lead into a 6-1 advantage. With Floyd on the mound, the lead felt safe at that point.

The Sox need to sweep these guys. I don't want to hear any more **** about how they "just need to win series." Bull****. They need to win games. They are two games back with 45 to play. We're moving toward crunch time now. Tomorrow's game is just as important as today's was, and I want to see them kick this lousy Oakland team around again tomorrow afternoon.
Exactly, we got the A's down, go for the jugular.

JermaineDye05
08-15-2009, 07:08 PM
After going 0-6 in that 14 inning debacle, Beckham is 5 for his last 9 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI. Anyone who was worried about Beckham's prolonged slump can breathe easy now.

SoxGirl4Life
08-15-2009, 07:08 PM
We're in Chat for the bears game, if anyone wants to join

Frankfan4life
08-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Good pitching, hitting and defense. That's how you get it done!

Let's go KC!!!

thedudeabides
08-15-2009, 07:15 PM
We're in Chat for the bears game, if anyone wants to join

Chat addict. :D:

slavko
08-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Those of you who made "Sell High" posts about Floyd earlier this year, raise your hands.

The Immigrant
08-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Who's ready for some Lillibridge/Wise playing time tomorrow?

Lip Man 1
08-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Floyd's seven innings really helped a tired, tired bullpen. That was one of the keys.

Sunday will be the 11th time this season the Sox will be going for a sweep, the only two times they pulled it off have been on the road.

Keep your fingers crossed.

They need to win games as JB said and with Kansas City and Baltimore coming up before the road trip from hell, they need to take advantage of the schedule while they can.

Lip

JermaineDye05
08-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Those of you who made "Sell High" posts about Floyd earlier this year, raise your hands.

I'd still be up for trading Gavin, but only if it can net us a pitcher like Dan Haren.

I think Gavin will be fine here with the Sox. He's shown he can pitch in Chicago and pitch effective against the "big boys"

Shoeless
08-15-2009, 07:27 PM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs182.snc1/6048_901242296070_1948342_51672449_468971_n.jpg
"I'll drink to a White Sox victory any day!"

35th and Shields
08-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Floyd has just been great this year and he was one of my biggest worries going into the season. If you would've asked me who I thought would be better, Floyd or Danks, I would've taken Danks in a hearbeat. I wasn't sure if he could repeat what he had done in 08' but he's already gone above and beyond my expectations.

Keep it up bud. :gulp:

TDog
08-15-2009, 08:38 PM
A beautiful day at the ballpark. Going into the ninth, I thought the A's would outhit the Sox and still lose by six. As it turned out, they tied the Sox in hits and lost by seven.

The Sox hit Gonzalez hard. Davis robbed Rios of a home run and made a nice catch on a line drive in the gap off the bat of Beckham in the first. The Sox only hit one ball foul the first time through the order, and that was Quentin popping out. It may have been that the Sox weren't aggressive enough with Gonzalez. The first pitch Nix swung at was his home run in his second at bat.

Floyd looked very sharp. He got into trouble with two outs in the third when the score was still 2-0. Davis (he looks so much better than he did when he was with the Giants) hit a two-out looping soft line drive just out of the reach of Nix. The runner on first got to third easily, and it looked like Davis was caught too far off of first, Dye threw behind him. Davis, who has blazing speed, headed into second, and Konerko wisely held the ball. On the plus-side, it gave Floyd the opportunity to pitch around Suzuki and get Hairston to end the inning.

Floyd caught a bad break on the only run the A's scored. With two outs in the fourth, Mark Ellis hit a ball inside the bag at third with Sweeney at first, having walked to lead off the inning. The ball didn't go into the corner. It hit the low wall that juts out and stayed in the bullpen area. There was no shot at getting Sweeney who was rounding third by the time anyone was close to the baseball.

The Sox played a great game. I was sitting on the aisle, though, and people were constantly out of their seats. It got worse when people noticed around the third inning that MC Hammer was one section over. I like what they did at Bank One Ballpark when I was in Arizona in the early years, allowing people to return to their seats only between half innings.

fram40
08-15-2009, 09:07 PM
I'd still be up for trading Gavin, but only if it can net us a pitcher like Dan Haren.

I think Gavin will be fine here with the Sox. He's shown he can pitch in Chicago and pitch effective against the "big boys"

why would the Sox trade Gavin now? he is signed cheap for 3 or 4 more years, he has been dominating at times, he is just now entering his prime years at 26 years old.

Call me crazy - but I think Gavin will be one of the top pitchers in the game over the next 4 or 5 years.

gobears1987
08-15-2009, 09:10 PM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs182.snc1/6048_901242296070_1948342_51672449_468971_n.jpg
"I'll drink to a White Sox victory any day!"

We need to find something better to put in him next time though.

Great job by the Sox winning this one.

I just wish I could've seen it.:angry:

SoxGirl4Life
08-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Supposedly, tomorrow, both teams are wearing old time uniforms. 1929?

SoxGirl4Life
08-15-2009, 09:21 PM
We need to find something better to put in him next time though.

Great job by the Sox winning this one.

I just wish I could've seen it.:angry:

Its available on archive, if you still want to see it.

TDog
08-15-2009, 09:38 PM

They allegedly will be giving away replica 1929 A's jerseys (that was two cities and an entirely different coast for the A's, but, whatever). I assume the teams will be in 1929 throwbacks.

Brian26
08-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Who's ready for some Lillibridge/Wise playing time tomorrow?

Wise should not start another game for the rest of the year. If anything, we'll see Kotsay, which I don't mind because he's been hitting the ball hard since the Sox acquired him.

chisoxfanatic
08-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Wise should not start another game for the rest of the year. If anything, we'll see Kotsay, which I don't mind because he's been hitting the ball hard since the Sox acquired him.
Especially considering we are getting into "crunch time" right now.

It's very nice to see them playing well in a place they've had problems playing over the past several years. Maybe the same could happen when they have to go to Minnesota in a couple weeks?!

illinifan1368
08-15-2009, 10:26 PM
I'd assume tomorrow is Quentin's off day. It should be the regular nine...its time for the stretch run

gobears1987
08-15-2009, 11:26 PM
I'd assume tomorrow is Quentin's off day. It should be the regular nine...its time for the stretch run
I'd expect an outfield L to R of Pods, Rios, and Dye

Zakath
08-15-2009, 11:35 PM
They need to win games as JB said and with Kansas City and Baltimore coming up before the road trip from hell, they need to take advantage of the schedule while they can.

With Detroit getting Seattle at home before making their own Left Coast trip to Oakland and LA, there's a chance to close that gap. The Tigers have been horrendous on the road (24-36, by far the worst road record of any of the teams in 1st or 2nd in any of the six divisions).

kjhanson
08-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Call me crazy - but I think Gavin will be one of the top pitchers in the game over the next 4 or 5 years.

On the heels of an awful start, which saw him go 2-4 with a 7.71 ERA, Gavin has an 8-3 record with a 2.47 ERA over his last 16 starts. Over that time he has thrown a remarkable 65% of his pitches for strikes - compared to 58% in his first 8 starts.

As mentioned before, he has 11 decisions in his last 16 starts. In his 5 no-decisions he has a remarkable 1.48 ERA. In each of those starts he went at least 6.2 innings and gave up 2 or fewer earned runs. He gave up 1 HR and 23 hits in those 36.1 innings. He also left the game with the lead in four of those outings (he left the other game in a 2-2 tie). In other words, he's been a victim of bad luck on too many occasions.

FielderJones
08-16-2009, 12:24 AM

80th anniversary of the Athletics championship over the Lovable Losers. Check out the 7th inning (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1929/B10120PHA1929.htm).

SoxGirl4Life
08-16-2009, 12:27 AM
80th anniversary of the Athletics championship over the Lovable Losers. Check out the 7th inning (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1929/B10120PHA1929.htm).

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

jabrch
08-16-2009, 12:33 AM

He also (quite awesomely) could be the 4th best starter in this rotation. This team could be damn good with MB/Peavy/Danks/Gavin.

doublem23
08-16-2009, 12:50 AM

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1929_chicago.gif

Pretty plain jane for us. Still always cool to see the old-time unis, though.

SoxGirl4Life
08-16-2009, 12:55 AM
http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1929_chicago.gif

Pretty plain jane for us. Still always cool to see the old-time unis, though.

aww.. I wish they'd be able to wear the home ones. I love that "Sox" emblem.

october23sp
08-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Of course the game that isn't on TV is the most stress free game we have had in a long time.

gobears1987
08-16-2009, 01:34 AM
Of course the game that isn't on TV is the most stress free game we have had in a long time.
That is probably for the better as I don't think I could deal with a stressful game with only the radio and gameday.

I'm pretty sure this is the shortest postgame thread ever.

GoGoCrede
08-16-2009, 01:50 AM
That is probably for the better as I don't think I could deal with a stressful game with only the radio and gameday.

I'm pretty sure this is the shortest postgame thread ever.

Not much to complain about with this game. Of course it's short. :cool:

october23sp
08-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Not much to complain about with this game. Of course it's short. :cool:

Not much to talk about in general as none of us actually saw the game.

kufram
08-16-2009, 04:36 AM
Not much to talk about in general as none of us actually saw the game.
mlb.tv

Whitesoxfan23
08-16-2009, 06:18 AM
mlb.tv

No, Fox had it blacked out because it was in the Fox time frame or whatever. If you are talking about the archive though, I heard it was available.

kufram
08-16-2009, 06:30 AM
mlb.tv

No, Fox had it blacked out because it was in the Fox time frame or whatever. If you are talking about the archive though, I heard it was available.

I watched it LIVE on mlb.tv basic .. there was no home or away available,
but I do live in England... maybe it was blacked out for the U.S.?

It was fun. They won! In Oakland! And it started at 9:05 pm GMT so was over by midnight. I wonder if Paulie is going to break out soon. If he does and Peavy is half as good as he can be, and SOMEONE takes the 5th spot... we just may go on a run. The tools are in place. Limit the errors (I hate mental errors) and we will win games we should win. The thing is ALL teams make mistakes, have slumps, etc. On the successful teams the next guy picks them up. We need to do that instead of compounding the error.

By the way, it is worth listening to some of the other broadcast teams. They speak more highly of the White Sox players and organization than some White Sox fans do.

hawkjt
08-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Single most important sign of the weekend...JD is back:D:...seeing highlights of the game on MLBNetwork, after Gordon's solid double, JD followed up with one his old-time screamer line drives right up the gut..that hit, along with his reach out and line drive to right on friday-twice, shows that JD's swing is coming back and could be ready to go on a hot streak..he can carry us at home next week.
Of course Gordo and Pods also came alive again this weekend.

The ellis run-scoring double into the church basement folding chairs in the bullpen is just another reason to have A's park on the top of hated park list with the Humpdome. C'mon, A's..I know the pro baseball players are playing on a grade school football field as it is, but adding chairs as part of the obstacle course aspect of the field is a bit much. Should have been two out, men on 2nd and 3rd as soon as it got hung up under the chair with that piece of pie from thanksgiving dinner at grandmas. Gavin stays clean in that case.

If the Sox make the playoffs, I just find myself asking, who has better 3/4 starters than Floyd and danks? Yankees, the likely first opponent has CC and Burnett...then who? Pettit and Mitre?...I love Floyd and Danks in that matchup. Boston? not sure. Angels? Lackey,Saunders,Weaver,Santana...not bad,but I like our guys.
The trick is to get there, have all our pitchers throwing well, and be hot with the bats,cus the defense is what it is.

Hitmen77
08-16-2009, 09:51 AM

Who did Cub fans scapegoat for that one? Bartman's grandfather?

What kind of trash did Cub fans throw on the field in 29?

Hitmen77
08-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Now no more of this "at least we won the series" or "it's ok to have a 500 roadtrip" crap. I'm sorry folks, I don't think that's going to be good enough to make the playoffs.

TommyJohn
08-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Who did Cub fans scapegoat for that one? Bartman's grandfather?

What kind of trash did Cub fans throw on the field in 29?Actually, you are pretty close to the mark. They scapegoated Hack Wilson, who misplayed two balls in centerfield, including one by Mule Haas that he lost in the sun and misplayed into a three run inside-the-park home run.

I remember reading in a Cub book by Jim Langford that all throughout Hack's record-setting season of 1930 (56 HRs, 191 RBIs) Cub fans at various times booed him and threw garbage at him. I wish I could remember the name of the book-but I'm pretty sure Langford wrote it.

TDog
08-16-2009, 01:30 PM

I am guessing, without doing exhaustive research, that this is the only inning in World Series history where a player made the first and third outs as a pinch-hitter.