PDA

View Full Version : Ed Farmer

jdm2662
08-15-2009, 06:39 PM
I haven't listened much to the radio until the last two days. Is it just me, or does Farmer come off as a real pompus *******? He obviously didn't act like this last year with Stone in the booth. Thoughts?

SoxGirl4Life
08-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Ed Farmer is the BEST! Since you don't listen, you must be missing the sarcasm in his broadcast. He doesn't come off pompous to me at all.

I heart Ed Farmer!

DirtySox
08-15-2009, 06:55 PM
I absolutely love Ed Farmer as well. I often put the game on the radio and mute the TV.

southside rocks
08-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I'm also a Farmer fan. Pompous? No. Dry? Yes, very.

Dibbs
08-15-2009, 07:05 PM
I am not a fan of Farmer. I think he calls a terrible game, and I think he comes off as pompous a little bit.

Britt Burns
08-15-2009, 07:09 PM
I agree that Stone was a good balance to Farmer, but I'll take him over Hawk any day of the week.

LITTLE NELL
Bring back John Rooney.

JB98
Both Farmer and DJ need to work on their play-by-play. There were a few plays that confused me today. Like in the third, Dye tried to throw behind Davis who took a wide turn after singling to right. Davis moved into second on the play, and I wasn't sure what the hell was going on until Farmio explained it a second time. His initial description was unclear.

Then, in the fourth, the Sox had second and third and Ramirez singled to left. One run obviously scored easily, but DJ never mentioned what happened to the guy on second. It wasn't until 10 or 15 seconds later that he said there were runners on first and third. I was like, "Oh, they held him at third."

08-15-2009, 07:18 PM
I cannot stand to listen to the Sox on the radio. Farmer is awful.

rocky biddle
08-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I like Farmer and DJ. Farmer is pompous, but he pulls it off in an almost endearing sort of way. And DJ is just plain goofy and lets it out a little bit at a time. I find his intermittent silliness refreshing. You can tell he's loving life.

Farmio's a Tommy More guy. That means he's good people.

My only criticism is that they lack emotion at times. Sometimes I'll miss the opposing team scoring runs because the fellas are using the same tone they'd use for a routine pop-up. Oh, one more thing little, they don't give the score enough for my liking.

whitesoxfan
08-15-2009, 07:22 PM

DJ is actually decent on the radio. Farmer? Not so much.

fram40
08-15-2009, 09:12 PM
I like the radio broadcast when I am watching along on tv. It can be a nice change from Hawk/Stone.

But as JB noted - it is very diffcult to follow the action when listening only. Farmer, especially, is not very good at informative play by play. It can be annoying when listening to a game in the car (or when there is no television.) They need to remember to describe the action quickly - not 15 or 20 seconds later, if then.

Dibbs
08-15-2009, 09:21 PM
But as JB noted - it is very diffcult to follow the action when listening only. Farmer, especially, is not very good at informative play by play. It can be annoying when listening to a game in the car (or when there is no television.) They need to remember to describe the action quickly - not 15 or 20 seconds later, if then.

I agree, and it's almost as if Farmer tries to trick you on deep fly balls and home runs. He is really bad at what he does.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-15-2009, 09:29 PM
I think they do a decent job given that it is very hard to paint a detailed picture with words. It seems like there is some akwardness between Farmio and DJ at times, but I'll just assume that its the first year of the coupling.

TDog
08-15-2009, 09:41 PM
I haven't listened much to the radio until the last two days. Is it just me, or does Farmer come off as a real pompus *******? He obviously didn't act like this last year with Stone in the booth. Thoughts?

And Harrelson doesn't come off as such?

KenBerryGrab
08-15-2009, 10:05 PM
I love Farmio and DJ. The day-to-day banter is good. If you listen to more radio games than watch on TV, as I do, they really grow on you.

DJ is five thousand times better than he was with Hawk.

Brian26
08-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I like the radio broadcast when I am watching along on tv. It can be a nice change from Hawk/Stone.

Yep, I've noticed it countless times this year. Farmer and DJ forget that people can't see the play at home. For example, if a ball is hit into left field, sometimes Farmer won't say if the ball was actually caught or not until ten seconds after the play.

He'll say something like...

:farmer
"Konerko hits the ball into the left field and Johnny Damon will come in to get it."

ME: OK, what the hell does that mean? Did Konerko single into left field or pop-up to end the inning? Ten seconds later after a long pause and calender pages flying off the wall, sometimes we'll get the answer. Other times, if there's some goofy story going on, we won't.

Meanwhile, here's how a pro would do it (if Mitch Rosen hadn't low-balled his ass out of town):

:rooney
"Base hit into leftfield and Konerko reaches first base with one out for Quentin coming to the plate."

Or

"Lazy pop up into leftfield, playable, and Damon gloves it to end the inning."

DrCrawdad
08-15-2009, 10:13 PM
I've never been huge Farmerio fan, BUT I am enjoying Farmer and DJ for some strange reason.

jamokes
08-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Ed Farmer is the best........a local southside kid who knows the upbringing of most players, from being a scout.

Hey if you don't like Farmer just go listen to Santo!!

gobears1987
08-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Ed Farmer is the best........a local southside kid who knows the upbringing of most players, from being a scout.

The problem is most of us were spoiled for years of listening to Rooney handle pbp. I truly miss John Rooney.

DrCrawdad
08-15-2009, 11:19 PM

I've heard Santo make an insightful comment, and he's even made me laugh - ONCE!

Back in 2000 I worked at a place where the guys in the warehouse listened to Cubbie games. So on one very cold and damp spring game at Wrigley I faxed in a couple sarcastic questions about Santo's hair-helmets. I was shocked when the guys in the warehouse called me to have me come back in the shop because Santo was reading my fax on the air.

MARTINMVP
08-16-2009, 12:01 AM
I kind of get the sense that Farmer and DJ may not particularly care for each other. I could be way off, I suppose.

Tuesday night, a couple of foul balls were hit, and Farmer kept on saying "here comes a foul ball right towards DJ." After the second or third time in a matter of minutes, DJ said with a somewhat annoyed tone"that ball was hit to right field and nowhere near me!" Farmer then said something to the effect of "keeping you on your toes... if the ball did come your way, you'd be able to handle it."

It was odd.

jabrch
08-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Bring back John Rooney.

If this were really an option, nobody would be opposed to it. That said, it is not.

TornLabrum
08-16-2009, 12:06 AM
I was spoiled by years of Bob Elson, Harry Caray, Lorne Brown, Mitch McConnell, John Rooney, and other who actually could paint a word picture of a game. I get exasperated when Farmer makes the kind of call Brian described. I also get frustrated when I have to wait fifteen or twenty minutes to hear the score of the damn game when I've tuned it in while it's in progress.

I would also point out that it says something about the quality of Farmer's work when the person you have to point out as being worse is Ron Santo.

stillz
08-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Rooney was the best, and we got spoiled. The last few years have been rough as they try to find something new that truly works.

Farmer is world-class compared to many. He's got a great voice and handles the broadcast like a pro. It's true, the action doesn't get conveyed quickly sometimes, but DJ acting like a goof is much more annoying than a slow veteran with dry wit.

spongyfungy
08-16-2009, 12:21 AM
The problem is most of us were spoiled for years of listening to Rooney handle pbp. I truly miss John Rooney.

Farmer and Rooney traded pbp between innings and I think Farmer is a solid broadcaster.

The worst though was Chris Singleton. He made my ears bleed.

SoxGirl4Life
08-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Awwwww... I'm sad that people don't share my love for Farmio. He cracks me up.

slavko
08-16-2009, 12:30 AM
I was spoiled by years of Bob Elson, Harry Caray, Lorne Brown, Mitch McConnell, John Rooney, and other who actually could paint a word picture of a game. I get exasperated when Farmer makes the kind of call Brian described. I also get frustrated when I have to wait fifteen or twenty minutes to hear the score of the damn game when I've tuned it in while it's in progress.

I would also point out that it says something about the quality of Farmer's work when the person you have to point out as being worse is Ron Santo.

Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader in the US Senate? Is this a political post? I loved Joe McConnell too.

gobears1987
08-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Farmer and Rooney traded pbp between innings and I think Farmer is a solid broadcaster.

The worst though was Chris Singleton. He made my ears bleed.
I know they did. Rooney did most of the innings and Farmer would take some of the middle innings. Singleton was horrible. Farmer wass great as a color man, and that is what he did most of the time with Rooney. He isn't great as a pbp announcer though.

gobears1987
08-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader in the US Senate? Is this a political post? I loved Joe McConnell too.
Joe McConnell now handles pbp for Purdue football. I get to hear him through the speakers in concourse area of Ross-Ade when my drunk breakfast club going ass goes to the bathroom during games.

I wasn't born when it happened, but I will always know Joe McConnell for calling the play when Walter Payton broke Jim Brown's record. I have that call on just about every Bears DVD I own.

asindc
08-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Yep, I've noticed it countless times this year. Farmer and DJ forget that people can't see the play at home. For example, if a ball is hit into left field, sometimes Farmer won't say if the ball was actually caught or not until ten seconds after the play.

"Konerko hits the ball into the left field and Johnny Damon will come in to get it."

ME: OK, what the hell does that mean? Did Konerko single into left field or pop-up to end the inning? Ten seconds later after a long pause and calender pages flying off the wall, sometimes we'll get the answer. Other times, if there's some goofy story going on, we won't.

Meanwhile, here's how a pro would do it (if Mitch Rosen hadn't low-balled his ass out of town):

"Base hit into leftfield and Konerko reaches first base with one out for Quentin coming to the plate."

Or

Exactly. I've listened to a lot of Sox baseball on radio through MLB At Bat on my iPhone this year. This is what aggravates me most about Farmer and DJ, mostly Farmer. He does not give you a really good sense of what is going on in the game at times. Was it a difficult catch? throw? Sometimes, you just don't know from his play-by-play.

Vienna
08-16-2009, 12:49 AM
I think Farmer is great. Rooney and Farmer were a great team. Farmer and Stone was insightful and hilarious. There seems to be some tension between DJ and Farmer. But it is still better than the Singleton disaster.

Coming at this as a fan of Farmer, I agree with the earlier comment -- pompous, no; dry, yes.

awesomefan
08-16-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm an Ed Farmer lover. He was sweet to me at Sox Fest one year.

He sat in the lobby & talked to me for awhile & I got my picture taken with him. I like his humor.

LITTLE NELL
08-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Bring back John Rooney.

If this were really an option, nobody would be opposed to it. That said, it is not.
Make him an offer he can't refuse.

hawkjt
08-16-2009, 08:19 AM

Or

You have nailed it. The primary job of the play by play man is to impart accurate information on the action on the field as quickly as possible. Rooney was a pro and did that with no frills...perfect. Tell us what happened ASAP ,then give us a quick analysis.

Now, I think from this thread ,it is obvious those who listen to a fair number of games do get used to the odd rythmn that Ed establishes and learn to listen around the shortcomings. I admit yesterday was one of the first end to end games I have listened to all year, and it abuses my ear.
I concede that DJ is better in the radio booth and not bad. But the complete lack of inflection from Ed added to his poor descriptions of the actual play just left me wondering what just happened until seconds after the play.....just bugs me. I miss Rooney,just like I missed Stoney on Friday nite when Huff sat in ...ouch.

Shoeless
08-16-2009, 09:14 AM
After all, this is Chicago:)

southside rocks
08-16-2009, 09:45 AM
I am not a fan of Farmer. I think he calls a terrible game, and I think he comes off as pompous a little bit.

And I think that Hawk doesn't call a game at all.

I grew up listening to Sox games on radio 90% of the time -- not hard to do, since their TV arrangements were so erratic way back when -- and I appreciate being told what is happening on the field EVEN IF there is a camera on the play. I find Hawk totally incapable of doing that, he just punctuates the action with occasional words.

Farmer is not a natural broadcaster -- he's no John Rooney or Jack Buck -- but since the Sox want former players in those spots, you're going to get a certain lack of polish. And Farmio does at least narrate the game.

kobo
08-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Awwwww... I'm sad that people don't share my love for Farmio. He cracks me up.
I love Farmer. At the beginning of this season I thought there was some tension between Farmer and DJ but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. They are fun to listen to and I think they make a good team. Both of them have weird senses of humor with DJ's being goofy and Ed's being dry, which is a great dynamic. I really enjoy listening to games on the radio.

SoxGirl4Life
08-16-2009, 10:11 AM
I love Farmer. At the beginning of this season I thought there was some tension between Farmer and DJ but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. They are fun to listen to and I think they make a good team. Both of them have weird senses of humor with DJ's being goofy and Ed's being dry, which is a great dynamic. I really enjoy listening to games on the radio.

Ok. I heart you too!

TommyGavinFloyd
08-16-2009, 10:26 AM
I usually listen to an inning or so a night on the radio if i'm out during a game, and I do like Ed Farmer. But I agree that sometimes it is hard to tell what is happening based on his reactions/descriptions. His voice doesn't change at all sometimes when there is a hit and it takes me a few seconds to realize, oh, the Orioles hit a double, ok. But no one is perfect and I find the dynamic between him and DJ to be enjoyable. Besides, if I can't watch on TV, radio is still better than Gameday or reading a boxscore.

johnr1note
08-16-2009, 10:32 AM

I grew up listening to Sox games on radio 90% of the time -- not hard to do, since their TV arrangements were so erratic way back when -- and I appreciate being told what is happening on the field EVEN IF there is a camera on the play. I find Hawk totally incapable of doing that, he just punctuates the action with occasional words.

Farmer is not a natural broadcaster -- he's no John Rooney or Jack Buck -- but since the Sox want former players in those spots, you're going to get a certain lack of polish. And Farmio does at least narrate the game.

I have commented here before, in detail, about how bad a broadcaster Ed Farmer really is. I think he may be the worst radio play-by-play guy in MLB. (I listen to other team broadcasts on MLB, so I've heard many of the other teams radio guys).

Laying that aside, a lot of Ed's shortcomings were amplified when Singleton was his partner. When Stone was paired with Farmer, things improved.

Because i don't have cable tv, I must listen to the radio to get my Sox fix. I expected the move of Darrin Jackson into the radio booth to be a Singleton-esque disaster, but its turned out to not be that bad. I think DJ is a better radio commentator than television, and he seems to mesh better with Farmio than he did with Hawk. There are some strange moments, to be sure, but like Stone, DJ won't put up with a lot of Farmer's banality.

I'd put Farmer and DJ a couple notches above "crappy" on the radio review spectrum. Tolerable game descriptions, a few entertaining moments, but overall, still far short of the what I expect from an MLB radio team.

TornLabrum
08-16-2009, 10:40 AM

Yeah, I liked Joe. That'll teach me to go political. :D:

TornLabrum
08-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Except when he goes fifteen minutes without telling the damn score. As I said before, that drives me absolutely nuts. I listen to the radio broadcasts when I'm in my car. Many people do. Radio is a medium where people are tuning in and tuning out all the time. A PBP announcer has to realize that and give the score every couple of minutes. Giving the count is not a bad thing either.

Coolpapa
08-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Farmer tries to predict nearly every player hitting a long one so he can hear his own sound-byte on a national highlight show. Farmer paints a lousy picture of a ball game. Farmer blows.

PatK
08-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I've got XM radio and listen to a lot of broadcasts. The games always use the home team's announcers.

If you think Farmio and/or DJ is terrible, you should listen to some of the other broadcast teams.

Some of the "legendary" announcers are just terrible. John Sterling immediately comes to mind, I've never seen such forced attempts to come up with nicknames or clever phrases.

The big problem is what many people have said- we got spoiled for years with Rooney and Farmio, because they were one of the best radio broadcast teams, if not the best, in MLB for years.

Those two really got me into tuning into games

johnr1note
08-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Except when he goes fifteen minutes without telling the damn score. As I said before, that drives me absolutely nuts. I listen to the radio broadcasts when I'm in my car. Many people do. Radio is a medium where people are tuning in and tuning out all the time. A PBP announcer has to realize that and give the score every couple of minutes. Giving the count is not a bad thing either.

Amen. My biggest pet peeve with the Sox radio broadcasters. Although, truth be told, Rooney wasn't much better. I wonder if our broadcasters are encouraged to not give the score often to encourage people to hang on until the commercial break. When you listen to the "old timers," like Harry Carrey in his prime, the score, hitter's count, men on base etc. was repeated every few minutes.

johnr1note
08-16-2009, 01:16 PM
I've got XM radio and listen to a lot of broadcasts. The games always use the home team's announcers.

If you think Farmio and/or DJ is terrible, you should listen to some of the other broadcast teams.

Some of the "legendary" announcers are just terrible. John Sterling immediately comes to mind, I've never seen such forced attempts to come up with nicknames or clever phrases.

The big problem is what many people have said- we got spoiled for years with Rooney and Farmio, because they were one of the best radio broadcast teams, if not the best, in MLB for years.

Those two really got me into tuning into games

ah, but for all his eccentricities and irritating cliches, at least Sterling calls the game. Farmio can drift into a discussion of something inane, and an etnire at bat can go by, or he'll be interrupted by the action and not give the full detail because he hasn't been concentrating, and we miss what's going on. Say what you will about that "New Yawk" kind of silliness, you can't accuse Sterling of similar things.

gobears1987
08-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Farmer tries to predict nearly every player hitting a long one so he can hear his own sound-byte on a national highlight show. Farmer paints a lousy picture of a ball game. Farmer blows.
"Pods will step into the box. He can tie the game with a blast."

asindc
08-16-2009, 03:19 PM

The difference is that it is not nearly as critical for a TV play-by-play for the obvious reason. A radio PBP guy has to convey the game he is watching. Farmer does not do that well.

jabrch
08-16-2009, 03:21 PM

That's just not realistic. I wish it were - but the Sox broadcast rights aren't likely providing the sort of revenue to 670 to justify an offer "he can't refuse". He's happy where he is.

Frankly, I'd rather have Dave Wills back.

mantis1212
08-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Exactly. I've listened to a lot of Sox baseball on radio through MLB At Bat on my iPhone this year. This is what aggravates me most about Farmer and DJ, mostly Farmer. He does not give you a really good sense of what is going on in the game at times. Was it a difficult catch? throw? Sometimes, you just don't know from his play-by-play.

That is really his only job to do, and he does it terribly. Farmer is absolutely horrible, and I can't understand how it's not unanimous. What are the chances of him being fired one day? I hope its soon.

DJ, on the other hand, is fine because his job as the color guy is analysis with a bit of humor thrown in. He's weird, but can make you chuckle

soltrain21
08-16-2009, 05:19 PM

I would say Hawk is about a million times worse about "sound bytes."

UChicagoHP
08-16-2009, 07:48 PM
:gulp:helps, that is about it...

UChicagoHP
08-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Rooney was the best, and we got spoiled. The last few years have been rough as they try to find something new that truly works.

Farmer is world-class compared to many. He's got a great voice and handles the broadcast like a pro. It's true, the action doesn't get conveyed quickly sometimes, but DJ acting like a goof is much more annoying than a slow veteran with dry wit.

I agree that Farmer has a world-class radio voice, he just shouldn't be calling baseball games with it because he is far from a baseball poet, so to speak...

With that being said, his boss loves him and/or owes him big time and because of that he 'aint going to be loooking for a new job anytime soon(sigh...it would nice if the Kane County Cougars was his dream job, but they have a better announcer anyway, so no go there), as a result it's 1000AM when the Sox are on for me. Yes, the broadcast is so boring/inept I choose to listen to periodic updates instead of the actual game.

Milkman43
08-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Although I enjoy his sarcasm and sometimes brutal honesty, Ed Farmer does a poor job of telling the audience what is happening on the field...It's almost like he forgets we cant see the action.

tony1972
08-16-2009, 11:11 PM
I think Farmer is a riot (unintentionally)..

His dryness is hilarious..I dont' know why..but it is...

Woofer
08-17-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm pretty much old school. I am quite content listening to the game on the radio. I grew up on it actually, like many of us born say, before 1980. Alot of the games weren't on tv, especially if you didn't have cable tv. I've found that listening to baseball is a skill that has to be learned. My kids are still little (7&5) they have to watch on tv. I would rather listen sometimes, because I can do other things at the same time.

In saying so, Ed is an acquired taste. I still miss having John Rooney on the broadcasts. John and Ed were great together. Ed has been on the radio for years and I hope he stays for a long time. To me, listening to the Sox on the radio IS Ed Farmer. Much like Hawk on tv.

Coolpapa
08-17-2009, 07:30 AM
I would say Hawk is about a million times worse about "sound bytes."
The worst thing to happen to Hawk was the attention he gets from the MLB channel. Mercy.

dwalteroo
08-17-2009, 09:32 AM
I think Farmer is a riot (unintentionally)..

His dryness is hilarious..I dont' know why..but it is...

I agree. He is a total character and yes, an acquired taste, but he's one of the best in my opinion. DJ makes for a good counterpart, mostly because joining the radio booth has allowed DJ to be as weird and funny as he wants to me. Farmer makes for a good foil for DJ's antics.

akingamongstmen
08-17-2009, 03:56 PM
There are many instances where Farmer and DJ appear to be having entirely separate conversations while talking to each other. It's just weird. Also, Farmer doesn't appear to have much enthusiasm for his job. I'm not a fan.

TDog
08-17-2009, 07:13 PM

Of course, Santo doesn't do play-by-play, so there is no comparison.

Harry Caray was very good when he came to the Sox. In those days there was no television from Oakland on Channel 32, so you had to depend on Harry Caray's radio descriptions of the game, and in 1972 they were epic. I am given to believe, however, that he stretched the truth.

I remember Harry Caray talking about how beautiful Oakland's stadium was, and how it was the perfect venue for baseball. Of course, that was before they built Mount Davis, and you could see the Oakland Hills outside. Still, I can't imagine the park ever being a perfect venue for baseball.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-17-2009, 07:30 PM
I remember Harry Caray talking about how beautiful Oakland's stadium was, and how it was the perfect venue for baseball. Of course, that was before they built Mount Davis, and you could see the Oakland Hills outside. Still, I can't imagine the park ever being a perfect venue for baseball.

This is what it used to look like in 1988.

http://www.chrisputro.com/ballparks/19880823%20Network%20Associates%20Coliseum%20-%20outfield.jpg