PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to watch the Sox?

gosox83
08-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Mods if this is in the wrong place please move.

I am moving out of the area so I cannot get comcast anymore.

What is the best way to watch the Sox from different parts of the country?

Do I have to get the MLB Xtra innings package through a satellite dish provider or can I order Sox games only through mlb.com???

What is the cheapest way, but also the way that allows me to see at least 90% of the games????

If anyone has some advice I would really appreciate it because I have lived in the Chicagoland area so long I have no idea what is out there.

Thanks in advance!!

gosox83

NDSox12
08-15-2009, 05:29 PM
In my opinion, the BEST way to watch the Sox outside of the Chicago area is with MLB Extra Innings on cable or satellite. You will get almost every game except for the Saturday afternoon ones.

MLB.tv is cheaper though and is a good option too. I prefer Extra Innings because I like watching on my TV rather than the computer. Also, there is a bit of a time delay on MLB.tv, if that matters to you.

Oh, and to answer your question about ordering only Sox games, I don't believe that is an option for Extra Innings or MLB.tv.

Nellie_Fox
08-16-2009, 12:55 AM
I have Extra Innings. It was $169 for the year, but I think if you subscribe now it's cheaper for the remainder of the year.

No, there is no way to get just Sox games. However, it's kind of fun to be able to switch over to the Detroit game between innings to see what's going on there (obviously, I don't need Extra Innings to get the Twins game.)

Oh, and you don't have to go through a satellite provider. I get Extra Innings through my cable company.

october23sp
08-16-2009, 12:56 AM
I have Extra Innings. It was $169 for the year, but I think if you subscribe now it's cheaper for the remainder of the year.

No, there is no way to get just Sox games. However, it's kind of fun to be able to switch over to the Detroit game between innings to see what's going on there (obviously, I don't need Extra Innings to get the Twins game.)

I got it after the all star break it was like $110, I think it goes to 79 september 1st.

Chicken Dinner
08-16-2009, 01:04 AM
MLB Extra Innings with Directv is by far the best way. Pretty much every game is in HD (which is not the case with cable, at least in AZ) and you can watch the other teams feed if you like because they give you both (with the exception of WCIU games which force you the watch the other teams feed).

DSpivack
08-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Having lived outside of the Chicago area for much of the last 7 years [4 years of college in Georgia, 1 year in Atlanta, 2 years in DC], the past 4 years I've subscribed to MLB.tv. I chose that only because I could take it with me on my laptop.

Otherwise, I'd say pick EI.

gobears1987
08-16-2009, 01:08 AM
If you have family in the area still with a high speed internet connection, I might recommend a sling box.

Whitesoxfan23
08-16-2009, 01:31 AM
MLB tv has been terrible for me. Most of the time it doesn't even work anymore. I hear alot of people have trouble with it. Go with Extra innings for sure!

kufram
08-16-2009, 07:55 AM
MLB tv has been terrible for me. Most of the time it doesn't even work anymore. I hear alot of people have trouble with it. Go with Extra innings for sure!

I have to use mlb.tv because I live in a foreign land. There was a great improvement this year in quality. I have a poor internet connection and still get a good result. I get the odd game on ESPN America and obviously would choose sat tv first but I'm happy to have access to every mlb game (I only watch Sox games). I also keep gameday up so I know pitchcounts and other stats in real time.

I hope this is of some help.

ode to veeck
08-16-2009, 08:19 AM
If you're HD at home Directv package gives you just about every game in HD and if you buy it pre-season you get a discount, somewhere around 130 just about the cheapest season tix package cept for Nascar. NFL is just way overpriced as its a few 100 for a handful of games by comparison then an extra 200 for HD what a rip.

MeteorsSox4367
08-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Extra Innings is worth the money if you love baseball. You could see the Sox (when you're out of the market) and you also get to see everyone else.

Lip Man 1
08-16-2009, 07:28 PM
The way they have been playing defensively... with a case of beer!

:D:

Lip

SoxGirl4Life
08-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Today's game was best watched with the TV off.

Dick Allen
08-16-2009, 07:54 PM
With your back to the TV.

kingpin_rcs
08-16-2009, 10:30 PM
I have Extra Innings on DirecTV. The coolest thing about the service is the channel that shows 8 games at once. You see the game plus the score, inning and outs. You can highlight the one you want to listen too.

Also, when watching any game you can press the red button on the remote and get a list of current scores with the ability to jump straight to that game.

It's pretty cool, actually.

I think they do the same for NFL and PGA as well.

soxfanreggie
08-16-2009, 11:10 PM
I've seen the EI on DirecTV and it looked cool. Getting my Dad the MLB package for his cable was one of the best presents we've gotten him. He really enjoys it. Mom says he watches a game every day. She says it's better when he goes into the bedroom (they refuse to get more than one cable box) and watches a game rather than 2 more hours of investment shows.

I will probably invest in the package for my cable next season, as I wasn't going to be down here for a full season.

manders_01
08-16-2009, 11:38 PM
I prefer MLB.tv because I can use it at work and at home. If it's a day game, I pop it on for lunch. If I'm going to be at work late or on the weekend, I can watch the games. This is hands down the way to go if you want (need) to watch the games in multiple locations.

GlassSox
08-17-2009, 07:07 AM
The way they have been playing defensively... with a case of beer!

:D:

Lip

I was thinking more like with eyes closed.:o:

Shoeless
08-17-2009, 08:10 AM
I was thinking more like with eyes closed.:o:

"What happened was you got a B"

g0g0
08-17-2009, 02:29 PM
It depends on where you are moving to. I live in Central Indiana and can't get any Sox games except when WGN offers them. I'm in the blackout area for some reason. I guess they think we can just take the 3 hour jaunt up there all the time lol. So I can't even do the MLB.TV or get the Comcast sports option there either. Fun...

TornLabrum
08-17-2009, 04:14 PM
When I read the title, the first thought that crossed my mind was, "Drunk."