PDA

View Full Version : Dan Hudson could be with Sox Soon

DirtySox
08-15-2009, 01:02 AM
Evidently Hahn and Fabian were in attendance for his Charlotte start tonight. Only his 2nd in AAA.

Tonight's line was:

7IP, 3H, R, 0ER, 2BB, 6K

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-15-white-sox-daniel-hudson-aug15,0,2583716.story

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/08/contreras-clobbered-what-next-for-white-sox.html

Dunno how many have actually followed his progress, but his ascent through the minors this year has been ridiculous. Started at Low-A and is now in AAA while essentially dominating each level. He is likely now a top 50 prospect that has come out of nowhere and is just starting to get some notice.

DumpJerry
08-15-2009, 01:10 AM
This could get interesting.:D:

tm1119
08-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Its kinda sad that we need him, but I'm not really sure its the best move. I'm usually all for moving prospects up, but a guy who has only 1 successful start in AAA may not be the answer for us or best for his career.
Although, I will say that Jose needs to go retire somewhere, and if Kenny and the rest of the talent evaluators feel that Hudson is our best option then lets see what the kid has I guess.

JB98
08-15-2009, 01:15 AM
He has pitched at four different levels this year, right?

DirtySox
08-15-2009, 01:15 AM

Correct

Lip Man 1
08-15-2009, 02:04 AM
That may be far to much movement for a kid to get his head on straight and actually learn his craft but what options do the Sox have after Friday's situation?

Ozzie's quotes tonight make it appear that he's completely out of ideas or patience with Contreras. If Garcia can't produce they may not have a choice but to roll the dice and hope it comes up seven's.

Lip

cards press box
08-15-2009, 02:05 AM
Are we looking at a rotation of Mark Buerhle, Gavin Floyd, John Danks, Freddy Garcia and Daniel Hudson (with Jake Peavy on the way) by next week?

JB98
08-15-2009, 02:12 AM
Are we looking at a rotation of Mark Buerhle, Gavin Floyd, John Danks, Freddy Garcia and Daniel Hudson (with Jake Peavy on the way) by next week?

Well, Garcia is definitely going to pitch Tuesday. It will be interesting to see whether they think enough of Hudson to give him a shot in place of Contreras.

DirtySox
08-15-2009, 02:32 AM
Some video and an assessment of Hudson's start.

http://soxmachine.com/soxmachine/2009/08/15/first-impression-dan-hudson/

Noneck
08-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Hudson? The 2009 version of the 1967 Cisco Kid. Let me dream this will happen.

thedudeabides
08-15-2009, 11:15 AM
There's a chance they weren't even there to scout Hudson. This is the time of year they are looking at their players for September call ups.

soxlug
08-15-2009, 03:35 PM
I have watched another kid, this year in fact, rise even quicker. One only needs to look towards Mat Latos. He started here in Fort Wayne (Low A) this year and I just happen to watch him pitch I didn't realize that day he would be on my fantasy team this year (the guys misses bats). I think he has been lucky in the majors so far this year with the schedule he has had so far but he is still pitching against major leaguers and found success.

One difference may be Latos pitched his 18 - 21 years in pro ball instead of college but, nonetheless the dude has gone from low A to the majors this year and has found success. I would love to see it happen even though he is young. It would mean a solid rotation for years to come if it does happen and he is successful.

I may not need to say but love to type it.

Peavy
Buehrle
Floyd
Danks
Hudson

Not too shabby!

UChicagoHP
08-15-2009, 03:51 PM

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/H/Dan-Hudson.shtml

Quite amazing, eh? I'm sure he will get hit, and probably quite hard, as all youngsters do at some point, but I'll take Hudson and his potential over Jose C at this point in time.

I see he played with Dexter Carter at Old Dominion, and like Carter his college stats aren't that great. Do they play on field with ridiculous dimensions, like a 275 foot right field wall?

TheOneDawg
08-15-2009, 04:44 PM
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/H/Dan-Hudson.shtml

Quite amazing, eh? I'm sure he will get hit, and probably quite hard, as all youngsters do at some point, but I'll take Hudson and his potential over Jose C at this point in time.

I see he played with Dexter Carter at Old Dominion, and like Carter his college stats aren't that great. Do they play on field with ridiculous dimensions, like a 275 foot right field wall?

nope Coop fixed em

35th and Shields
08-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Is it really worth the risk? Most likely scenario is he comes up, and gets lit up by major league hitting. I'd much rather see Torres given another shot for this year. He's proven himself in AAA and pitched well his first start. He struggled in his second start but I'm not convinced we would get much more from Hudson :dunno:. Hudson seems to have a shot to be in the big picture moving forward. What if he comes up and gets hammered, that could really mess with this guy and we may never see him again.

I'm just not sure it's worth the risk.

balke
08-15-2009, 08:10 PM
That may be far to much movement for a kid to get his head on straight and actually learn his craft but what options do the Sox have after Friday's situation?

Ozzie's quotes tonight make it appear that he's completely out of ideas or patience with Contreras. If Garcia can't produce they may not have a choice but to roll the dice and hope it comes up seven's.

Lip

You want more out of Jose, but he gave enough. The defense put him in that situation. Yes, you want a guy that can get out of it... but I'm willing to give him yet another chance.

Hudson is exciting to think about, but I think the Sox need to be really careful. If it messes up anything contractually for him, I think they can win without him. Luckily, they did win Friday. I think Jose still has what it takes to win games for the Sox. Next outing will be a great test, he's got Grienke.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Balke:

The defense didn't help him but he's been doing this all season. Go back to April...look at the box scores. He'll pitch well for two, three, four innings than loses his concentration, his stuff or whatever and gets blown apart.

How many more chances does he deserve to pitch awful?

Ozzie's comment about having no other options (like when Anderson got hurt earlier this year) says a ton about the minor league system and the issues they still have Kenny eventually corrected the outfield issue but he probably doesn't have time to correct the back end of the rotation this year. But he better take a hard look at that 5th slot in the off season.

It killed the Sox in 96, killed them in 03 and it's doing it this year too.

Lip

Brian26
08-15-2009, 09:57 PM
You want more out of Jose, but he gave enough. The defense put him in that situation.

In all of my years of playing and watching baseball, I've never seen five runs score on one play (which was the Sox lead *after* that botched flyball).

Bad defense will lose you a lot of close games. Bad defense doesn't cost you six runs unless the pitching has a mental breakdown.

Tragg
08-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Looks confident -
His windup isn't much different than the stretch. It's hard to tell much on the video.

I see he was late covering first on a ball -that defense should fit in well on the big club.

kjhanson
08-16-2009, 12:33 AM

Verlander pitched there as well. ERA improved dramatically each year. http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/verlander_justin00.html

balke
08-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Balke:

The defense didn't help him but he's been doing this all season. Go back to April...look at the box scores. He'll pitch well for two, three, four innings than loses his concentration, his stuff or whatever and gets blown apart.

How many more chances does he deserve to pitch awful?

Ozzie's comment about having no other options (like when Anderson got hurt earlier this year) says a ton about the minor league system and the issues they still have Kenny eventually corrected the outfield issue but he probably doesn't have time to correct the back end of the rotation this year. But he better take a hard look at that 5th slot in the off season.

It killed the Sox in 96, killed them in 03 and it's doing it this year too.

Lip

I don't think the situation is as dire as it was in 03'. The Sox 5th starters were losing every game. Jose at the very least is giving a solid 4 IP. In 03' the Sox 5th starters were giving up HR's on anything that hit the plate, rarely getting out of the 2nd inning. The bullpen behind them couldn't stop the bleeding, because there was no long reliever even.

Jose has always been this on and off pitcher. Frustrating as hell, but he can be on 4 games and off BIG TIME 3, then okay, then Unhittable for 3 games, then terrible 6. Next week he goes against Grienke... I see big game and a big outing... cause that's just kinda how Jose works.

He's got the pitches, he has the arm, he's a veteran. I think you give him til September. Even then you callup players and leave him in the bullpen.

There's no time table for something like this. All I do know is this defense has been really bad lately, another problem in 03'. Don't make the dumb errors. No more Jose Valenstache dropped pop flys. MAKE THE DAMN PLAYS ON DEFENSE.

That said, this offseason I do see this 5th starter being addressed. I just wouldn't get my hopes too high on how. I think before anything they'd go with Hudson or Torres or Garcia... and if they all bust then its probably trade time before they spend money.

They are not cheap, but they are over budget. Even the Yankees stopped buying in this market.

balke
08-16-2009, 02:04 AM
In all of my years of playing and watching baseball, I've never seen five runs score on one play (which was the Sox lead *after* that botched flyball).

Bad defense will lose you a lot of close games. Bad defense doesn't cost you six runs unless the pitching has a mental breakdown.

I've seen every pitcher on this team go through meltdowns after the defense let them down. Mark used to have 8 run innings based on 1 bad fielding error that extended the inning year after year. This isn't something unique to Jose. He had 2 outs and was rolling all game, then it was stupid error after bad play after bad play. Not good when a pitcher is trying to find his rhythm and regain confidence. The defense has to (and will) pick it up.

Best part of this Rios deal (And yes I know he was a culprit, but he likely just needs time to settle in) is the rest these older players can get and the idea of upgrading the defense all around by having an actual CFer.

I'm kinda glad the Sox might be able to keep Wise too. He could be quite valuable in a Minnesota series or turf game where they can have an outfield of Wise/Rios/Pods to close the gaps a little.

The Immigrant
08-16-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm kinda glad the Sox might be able to keep Wise too. He could be quite valuable in a Minnesota series or turf game where they can have an outfield of Wise/Rios/Pods to close the gaps a little.

Lord help us.

balke
08-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Lord help us.

I would imagine you'd see that lineup like twice all season, but I think if you are on turf or in Minnesota its good. You can put Dye or Quentin at DH and give the other a day rest. I just hate when we play the Twins and they can take away every double, and every blooper they hit drops.

BadBobbyJenks
08-16-2009, 12:32 PM
You know I was on the fence about moving Hudson up "so quickly" but he was a polished college pitcher putting up ridiculous numbers. There was no benefit of keeping him down.

The majors this season though? I think that could be too soon.

mzh
08-16-2009, 07:22 PM
You know I was on the fence about moving Hudson up "so quickly" but he was a polished college pitcher putting up ridiculous numbers. There was no benefit of keeping him down.

The majors this season though? I think that could be too soon.

This seems eerily similar to posts circulating mid-may about Gordon Beckham. Beckham was a much more highly touted prospect from the beginning, but Hudson is moving up and dominating each level like Beckham to the point that, as you said, there was no point in keeping him down. KW took a risky move in moving Beckham up that early, could we strike gold twice with Hudson? Beckham proved that it is possible to have relative immediate success in the major league level if you really have the talent, and Hudson, like Beckham, is proving in the minors that he has the talent.

Every player is different, and Hudson may not have the mental or physical stability to adjust to the best of the best so quickly. But making the choice of whether he is or isn't is up to KW, not us armchair GM's.

BadBobbyJenks
08-16-2009, 07:33 PM
This seems eerily similar to posts circulating mid-may about Gordon Beckham. Beckham was a much more highly touted prospect from the beginning, but Hudson is moving up and dominating each level like Beckham to the point that, as you said, there was no point in keeping him down. KW took a risky move in moving Beckham up that early, could we strike gold twice with Hudson? Beckham proved that it is possible to have relative immediate success in the major league level if you really have the talent, and Hudson, like Beckham, is proving in the minors that he has the talent.

Every player is different, and Hudson may not have the mental or physical stability to adjust to the best of the best so quickly. But making the choice of whether he is or isn't is up to KW, not us armchair GM's.

I suppose there is only one way to find out.

gogosox16
08-16-2009, 07:57 PM
I suppose there is only one way to find out.
Pitch him in a major leauge simulated game

Whitesoxfan23
08-17-2009, 05:39 AM
I would like not to rush him. I think if all possible, they need to wait until next year.

Hitmen77
08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm really excited about this guy's potential. But, I seriously question rushing up to the big leagues after only 1 successful AAA start. Hey, if it works, that's awesome, but I'm concerned about rushing him to the majors.

But looking ahead to 2010, if (deep pink?) Hudson can continue his upward climb and be a successful starter for us next year, just think about this rotation: Buehrle-Peavy-Danks-Floyd-Hudson. Wow!

When was the last time the Sox actually developed their own successful MLB starter? I'm thinking of someone who they drafted and turned out to have sustained success with the Sox. Was it Mark Buehrle? The Sox did produce Brandon McCarthy. He hasn't had sustained success in the majors, but he did net us Danks. We also produced Clayton Richard. He's still very unproven, but at least he was part of the deal that landed us Peavy.

DirtySox
08-17-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm really excited about this guy's potential. But, I seriously question rushing up to the big leagues after only 1 successful AAA start. Hey, if it works, that's awesome, but I'm concerned about rushing him to the majors.

But looking ahead to 2010, if (deep pink?) Hudson can continue his upward climb and be a successful starter for us next year, just think about this rotation: Buehrle-Peavy-Danks-Floyd-Hudson. Wow!

When was the last time the Sox actually developed their own successful MLB starter? I'm thinking of someone who they drafted and turned out to have sustained success with the Sox. Was it Mark Buehrle? The Sox did produce Brandon McCarthy. He hasn't had sustained success in the majors, but he did net us Danks. We also produced Clayton Richard. He's still very unproven, but at least he was part of the deal that landed us Peavy.

I don't think deep pink is necessary. Hudson would be a perfect candidate for the 5th starter with the front 4 as it it. You can afford to deal with a prospect's development with the other 4 headlining. Though I wouldn't be surprised if a cheap stopgap 5th starter is added allowing Hudson to pitch part of the year in AAA with a midseason callup at some point.

TDog
08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Hudson? The 2009 version of the 1967 Cisco Kid. Let me dream this will happen.

That would be far better than the 1968 version of the Cisco Kid or especially the 1969 version of the Cisco Kid. He never pitched in the majors again after he spent 1970 with the Washington Senators.

The fact is, Hudson would probably be a better spot starter than Torres. But tat might not be enough.

Before the game Sunday in Oakland, I saw Kenny Williams take a phone call during batting practice and make his way to the clubhouse. I wasn't in an airport and I wasn't close enough to hear what he was saying, so I won't suggest some big news is on the verge of breaking.

Taliesinrk
08-17-2009, 10:13 PM
That would be far better than the 1968 version of the Cisco Kid or especially the 1969 version of the Cisco Kid. He never pitched in the majors again after he spent 1970 with the Washington Senators.

The fact is, Hudson would probably be a better spot starter than Torres. But tat might not be enough.

Before the game Sunday in Oakland, I saw Kenny Williams take a phone call during batting practice and make his way to the clubhouse. I wasn't in an airport and I wasn't close enough to hear what he was saying, so I won't suggest some big news is on the verge of breaking.

:scratch::scratch::scratch: I'm glad you saw this.... I guess? But what does it have/why do you think it has to do with Hudson?

Are you inferring the Sox may make a trade? What if Kenny's wife was calling because he forgot to take out the trash again? I'm lost... obviously.

08-17-2009, 11:43 PM
:scratch::scratch::scratch: I'm glad you saw this.... I guess? But what does it have/why do you think it has to do with Hudson?

Are you inferring the Sox may make a trade? What if Kenny's wife was calling because he forgot to take out the trash again? I'm lost... obviously.

Nonsense, the Red Sox picked up Kenny's trash no more than three weeks ago.

TDog
08-18-2009, 03:02 PM

I wasn't implying anything. I was laying out some innocent facts and letting people infer what they will. There are a multitude of reasons Kenny Williams might take a telephone call an hour before gametime. I threw it out in large part to poke fun at previous threads generated by a Kenny-Williams-on-a-cell-phone.

Noneck
08-18-2009, 03:17 PM

I remember it all very well.

Maybe Lip can track down the The Cisco Kid to see how he is doing and get some insight on that magical couple months he had in 67.

Taliesinrk
08-20-2009, 06:18 PM
I wasn't implying anything. I was laying out some innocent facts and letting people infer what they will. There are a multitude of reasons Kenny Williams might take a telephone call an hour before gametime. I threw it out in large part to poke fun at previous threads generated by a Kenny-Williams-on-a-cell-phone.

Thanks.. please forgive my lack of humor. I thought you may have heard something, but were holding back for fear of WSI-backlash had you not had all the details or something changed with what was said.