PDA

View Full Version : Who is doing color...I'm late to the party

PeteFitz
08-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Hawk isn't giving me any indication (via name or reference) as to who is the color guy?

Is it Robin?

Stoney ill or something?

Energy seems different. Like not in a good way.

jabrch
08-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Stone on vacation. Mike Huff in the booth.

RedPinStripes
08-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Stone on vacation. Mike Huff in the booth.

And he kinda sucks.

PeteFitz
08-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Thank you WSI for your swift and accurate response. I love this site.

scobalt
08-15-2009, 12:11 AM
Disagree, I think Huff did a solid job. He had some good insights and I dont think he has any broadcasting experience. Pretty well done IMO

Viva Medias B's
08-15-2009, 12:11 AM
What this where Jack McDowell was to be the color commentator but was "replaced" after Black Jack wrote something online that Hawk did not like?

jabrch
08-15-2009, 01:07 AM
I thought Huffer was OK. An unfamiliar voice - so it is always odd. But he had some decent commentary.

hawkjt
08-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Sorry, Huff is a nice guy, but he adds little or nothing.
I was regreting the Blackjack/Hawk falling out, Jack is more interesting.

whitesoxfan
08-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Huff sounded like the ultimate yes man (both literally and figuratively) to Hawk tonight. A lot of us ragged on DJ for doing that but DJ was tame in comparison to Huff tonight. He was absolutely horrendous and it was real evident that he was trying to suck up to Hawk as much as he could by using his catch phrases. He was yelling "YES" repeatedly into the mic during Alexei's HR and the play to end the game.

It got me to thinking; if Hawk won't let Black Jack in the booth, can we just get DJ to be the color guy when Stone's gone and let Farmer just announce by himself on the radio side? I'm sorry, I'm sure Huff's a great guy and all but he's not meant to be a broadcaster. Maybe in golf, but definitely not baseball.

samurai_sox
08-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Huff sounded like the ultimate yes man (both literally and figuratively) to Hawk tonight. A lot of us ragged on DJ for doing that but DJ was tame in comparison to Huff tonight. He was absolutely horrendous and it was real evident that he was trying to suck up to Hawk as much as he could by using his catch phrases. He was yelling "YES" repeatedly into the mic during Alexei's HR and the play to end the game.

It got me to thinking; if Hawk won't let Black Jack in the booth, can we just get DJ to be the color guy when Stone's gone and let Farmer just announce by himself on the radio side? I'm sorry, I'm sure Huff's a great guy and all but he's not meant to be a broadcaster. Maybe in golf, but definitely not baseball.

He was such a homer, he was clearly showing bias towards the Sox, openly cheering, it was very unprofessional!

whitesoxfan
08-15-2009, 02:30 AM
He was such a homer, he was clearly showing bias towards the Sox, openly cheering, it was very unprofessional!

Didn't have a problem with that necessarily but it sounded like the mic was falling apart when he was doing it.

RedPinStripes
08-15-2009, 08:36 AM
I liked hearing Robin Ventura a few years back. Why Mike Huff?

Dibbs
08-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Huff did a pretty poor job yesterday. He is always trying to talk over Hawk, and they have no chemistry. He was even talking over Hawk's home run call.

Red Barchetta
08-15-2009, 08:45 AM
I liked hearing Robin Ventura a few years back. Why Mike Huff?

I agee. I thought Robin lived in California?

RedPinStripes
08-15-2009, 09:23 AM
I agee. I thought Robin lived in California?

Not sure where he lives, but I wish he was next to Hawk this weekend.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-15-2009, 09:55 AM
I thought Huff was just plain bad. Dull and he did not add anything. And all too often it felt like he had listened to Hawk too often in past broadcasts, as if that is the right way to call game. He said several times that a Sox player "just missed it", and the ball had been hit in foul territory near third base.

forrestg
08-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I like wimpy whatever happened to them that involved the decision to keep hawk was the wrong one. I still like Pacoriak but he has another job. Hawk and Wimpy will never work together.

stacksedwards
08-15-2009, 10:06 AM
He already had a catch phrase. "Now Kids (long pause) dads and moms, watch how he fielded that ball.

fuzzy_patters
08-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Huff announced how he played. He got the job done but it was not exciting.

Rohan
08-15-2009, 11:27 AM
I bet Huff is reading all of this and crying.

Britt Burns
08-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Huff did a good job, but I'd like to get some personality in the booth--Black Jack and Robin both bring that.

gobears1987
08-15-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't ever want to see Blackjack in the booth again. He has burned his bridges with this organization. The man is either very bitter, or he is just trying to draw attention on himself. I can't tell what it is, but I assume is is the latter as I don't really see anything for him to be bitter about. His columns about the Peavy trade are laughable. He thinks the Sox are lying about Peavy's progress. Blackjack is still one of my favorite pitchers, but I'll take Rockin' Robin any day in the booth over him. I'd actually be curious to hear what Robin has to say about Bacon.

gobears1987
08-15-2009, 12:31 PM

I wouldn't want Farmer alone in the booth. Let DJ join Hawk and have Rongey join Farmer in the booth when Stone is gone.

Brian26
08-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Disagree, I think Huff did a solid job. He had some good insights and I dont think he has any broadcasting experience. Pretty well done IMO

Yep, Huff did fine last night. Much ado about nothing here.

AzureJazzMan
08-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I also thought that Huff did a pretty good job, especially for his first time in the booth with Hawk.

Brian26
08-15-2009, 04:38 PM
I also thought that Huff did a pretty good job, especially for his first time in the booth with Hawk.

He did a good job, but that wasn't his first appearance. He's been doing fill-in work for a few years. I think his debut was in 2005 when DJ had that extended leave.