PDA

View Full Version : If this was a Biggest Balls Contest, he (KW) is the winner

jabrch
08-14-2009, 10:09 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1716554,joe-14.article

pythons007
08-15-2009, 11:18 AM
I still don't agree with Epstein and Cashman. If you can buy everything in site, you're farm system is going to be stacked!

I absolutely laughed my ass off when they mentioned Jim Hendry. Nothing but the truth there.

Moneyball GMs are way overhyped!!!

Kenny is the man, I don't care what other media head aka ESPN say, he is by far the best GM in baseball. To keep sending overhyped nobody prospects out for guys like Javier Vazquez, Carlos Quentin, and going to get guys like the Cubans he proves time and time again he is awesome. He turned in a overhyped Chris Young into a couple years of a decent SP and then turned that into a lot of good young prospects.

I like that he's not afraid of trading prospects for MLB proven talent.

voodoochile
08-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I still don't agree with Epstein and Cashman. If you can buy everything in site, you're farm system is going to be stacked!

I absolutely laughed my ass off when they mentioned Jim Hendry. Nothing but the truth there.

Beane strikes me as a guy who's more interested in finding that "diamond in the rough" to prove what a genius he is than he is in building a consistent winner. I realize he has payroll constraints, but if I was an A's fan, I'd want his ass gone.

pythons007
08-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Beane strikes me as a guy who's more interested in finding that "diamond in the rough" to prove what a genius he is than he is in building a consistent winner. I realize he has payroll constraints, but if I was an A's fan, I'd want his ass gone.

He had a diamond in the rough and got rid of him. Marco Scutero is having an unbelievable season!

gobears1987
08-15-2009, 11:33 AM
I have to agree with most of the placements made for GMs in that article. He nailed the moneyballers pretty well.

UChicagoHP
08-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Every GM uses some form of Moneyball philosophy, it's pretty much ECON101...

I know the hysteria surrounding the book made it seem like some ridiculously ahead of the curve science(and maybe it was in the year 1999), but every team in baseball is using new fangled forumals in an attempt to give each and every player a value. There are some pretty amazing stats out there, that have come as close to "X is this much better than Y" or "X player is worth Y amount of cash" as ever, but owners/GM's will always be on the lookout for the perfect formula. In the 30's and 40's, batting average was cutting edge and allowed GM's to compare players with a relatively simple formula, nowadays it is wOBA, and OPS+. Twenty years from now, well, who knows really...

I know the book, and Beane gets a bad rap, but he simply doing what he thinks it takes to win, given his circumstances. There are plenty of "nerds" who love the math involved in the game a little TOO much, but then again, these guys are hunted down by every major league team the second they graduate from Harvard and are tossed a significant chunk of change simply because they can help X team stay as cutting edge as possible. I have nothing but respect for those who can make a living doing something they truly love, and I hate having stats thrown at my constantly as much as the next guy.

Craig Grebeck
08-15-2009, 12:13 PM

Kenny is the man, I don't care what other media head aka ESPN say, he is by far the best GM in baseball. To keep sending overhyped nobody prospects out for guys like Javier Vazquez, Carlos Quentin, and going to get guys like the Cubans he proves time and time again he is awesome. He turned in a overhyped Chris Young into a couple years of a decent SP and then turned that into a lot of good young prospects.

And by that you mean one, right?

asindc
08-15-2009, 06:21 PM
He had a diamond in the rough and got rid of him. Marco Scutero is having an unbelievable season!

Andre Ethier.

jabrch
08-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Every GM uses some form of Moneyball philosophy, it's pretty much ECON101...

That's only a piece to it. The themes in moneyball were not limited to scarcity and price/value. There was some hardcore baseball philosophy that has proven itself to be more theory than fact.

johnnyg83
08-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I disagree with Coletti .. he's had those whiffs and he still has a great team ... plus he played w/o Manny for 50 games and had teh best record in the NL.

DrCrawdad
08-15-2009, 09:21 PM

Kenny Williams, here's a song for you! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SEYJZNI7dw)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__LJv4LyMFAc/RrC5Q7lhj1I/AAAAAAAACNE/xl6F63kO5gk/s200/Hendry.jpg
"What have I done lately?...
Derrek Lee, Aramais Ramirez.
Have I told you about Derrek Lee
& Aramais Ramirez before?"