PDA

View Full Version : The Kool-Aid will be flowing this afternoon....

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-14-2009, 03:21 PM
All is well on the northside as The Cubbies are up 17-2 in the 6th against the defending World Series champs...THE PITTSBURGH PIRATES!

er...wait a minute....

I'm thinking of that other team in Pennsylvania.

Coolpapa
08-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Like the slow kid picking on a dog after getting nailed in dodgeball

cbotnyse
08-14-2009, 03:26 PM
honestly, who cares what the Cubs do, unless they play the Sox. I just dont see the need to give one **** what they do on a daily basis. I never once look at their score and probably could not name more than 3 players on their team. I just don't get it.

kittle42
08-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Nothing can lift up a slumping team quite like a visit from the Pirates!

eriqjaffe
08-14-2009, 03:35 PM
hI never once look at their score and probably could not name more than 3 players on their team.And that makes you different from most Cubs fans in what way, exactly?

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Nothing can lift up a slumping team quite like a visit from the Pirates!

Suprised Billy Mays never jumped on them....

soltrain21
08-14-2009, 03:38 PM
honestly, who cares what the Cubs do, unless they play the Sox. I just dont see the need to give one **** what they do on a daily basis. I never once look at their score and probably could not name more than 3 players on their team. I just don't get it.

Do you not pay attention to baseball at all, or what?

cbotnyse
08-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Do you not pay attention to baseball at all, or what?the national league? barely at all no.

gobears1987
08-14-2009, 03:50 PM
The Pittsburgh Pirates are the ultimate slump buster.

Thatguyoverthere
08-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't care who did it or who it was against, 10 runs in an inning is awesome.

DumpJerry
08-14-2009, 04:20 PM
They're playing a Low-A team. What do you expect? There is nobody left on the Pirates.

I only wish the Twins would follow their example.

MarySwiss
08-14-2009, 04:35 PM
They're playing a Low-A team. What do you expect? There is nobody left on the Pirates.

:thumbsup:

pythons007
08-14-2009, 04:51 PM

Exactly, are any of their players have more than a couple years of service? Its like a college team playing 12 year olds.

areilly
08-14-2009, 05:08 PM
I hereby resolve that whenever I hear someone say Sox fans don't care about the Cubs, I shall direct them to the first post in this thread and nod my head in defeated agreement.

thedudeabides
08-14-2009, 05:27 PM

The only starter left from their opening day roster is Ryan Doumit. That organization is an absolute joke.

samurai_sox
08-14-2009, 05:51 PM
what was with all the flyovers at the Cubs game? The air show is tomorrow, too bad they couldn't drop a bomb at that dump. :tongue:

veeter
08-14-2009, 06:07 PM
The cubs are no threat to anything resembling a championship. They know it, the media knows it, and anything intelligent fan knows it. They'll always buy themselves out of the cellar, but they're light years from a world series.

Craig Grebeck
08-14-2009, 06:09 PM
The only starter left from their opening day roster is Ryan Doumit. That organization is an absolute joke.
Not really. Huntington is a smart guy. Is it really reprehensible for a ballclub loaded with ****ty players to start from scratch by acquiring so many guys?

Marqhead
08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Not really. Huntington is a smart guy. Is it really reprehensible for a ballclub loaded with ****ty players to start from scratch by acquiring so many guys?

Really? Defending a franchise with 17 straight seasons below .500?

Big D
08-14-2009, 06:18 PM

Huntington's only been there a year and a half. That franchise was in such sorry shape when he got there that he probably needs 4 or 5 years to turn them around.

Marqhead
08-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Huntington's only been there a year and a half. That franchise was in such sorry shape when he got there that he probably needs 4 or 5 years to turn them around.

Ok. I can agree with defending Huntington, but the Pirates organization as a whole is to blame for this mess, a mess which they have neglected to fix for the last decade and a half.

I'll give Huntington a chance, I would really like to see the Pirates get better, and it seems that while he did ship off their entire starting roster, he got some valuable pieces back in return. I'll believe they are starting to right the ship when they start spending money in the offseason.

Big D
08-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Ok. I can agree with defending Huntington, but the Pirates organization as a whole is to blame for this mess, a mess which they have neglected to fix for the last decade and a half.

I'll give Huntington a chance, I would really like to see the Pirates get better, and it seems that while he did ship off their entire starting roster, he got some valuable pieces back in return. I'll believe they are starting to right the ship when they start spending money in the offseason.

I don't know, they're so far away from contending that it seems kind of pointless for them to spend on free agents right now. Why, so they can win 70 games instead of 65? That was one of their problems for too long - they would spend money on washed-up scrubs like Derek Bell and Jeromy Burnitz (since they obviously can't afford the top free agents). They should be spending money, but on draft picks and Latin American scouting. Once they get to .500 (if that happens in any of our lifetimes), that would be the time to be active in free agency.

Marqhead
08-14-2009, 06:42 PM
I don't know, they're so far away from contending that it seems kind of pointless for them to spend on free agents right now. Why, so they can win 70 games instead of 65? That was one of their problems for too long - they would spend money on washed-up scrubs like Derek Bell and Jeromy Burnitz (since they obviously can't afford the top free agents). They should be spending money, but on draft picks and Latin American scouting. Once they get to .500 (if that happens in any of our lifetimes), that would be the time to be active in free agency.

Pitching can help them become better immediately, of course they shouldn't throw around big time prospects, but a couple of key veterans with the youngsters can help the get better in the short term.

They have a long way to go, that's for sure. With all these young players they should have a solid foundation, let's see what they do when those players develop.

Craig Grebeck
08-14-2009, 06:55 PM
I generally don't hold Kenny Williams responsible for the organization dealing three solid players for Steve Sax.

RadioheadRocks
08-14-2009, 07:21 PM
I hereby resolve that whenever I hear someone say Sox fans don't care about the Cubs, I shall direct them to the first post in this thread and nod my head in defeated agreement.

Like Cub fans don't care about the Sox? Have you seen what's posted on sites such as northsidebaseball.com and all those "Sox Suck" groups springing up all over Facebook?

It is what it is, and unfortunately bitching about it isn't going to change it.

Marqhead
08-14-2009, 07:52 PM
I generally don't hold Kenny Williams responsible for the organization dealing three solid players for Steve Sax.

I cleared up my position in posts above, but just because they recently hired a new GM does not absolve the franchise of the previous 15 years of futility.

Craig Grebeck
08-14-2009, 07:54 PM
I cleared up my position in posts above, but just because they recently hired a new GM does not absolve the franchise of the previous 15 years of futility.
My point is that it's fruitless to rip the organization for dumping every starter but Doumit.

Marqhead
08-14-2009, 08:01 PM
My point is that it's fruitless to rip the organization for dumping every starter but Doumit.

Considering most of the starters weren't as good as advertised, and would have commanded more money than they were worth, yes. It's nice for their GM to have a clean start. Hopefully they give him 3+ years to work with, and he takes that opportunity to build a winning ballclub.

slavko
08-14-2009, 08:43 PM
The guy needs time to develop some players that can wind up with the Cubs 5 years later like a good farm team should. Similar to what Art Rooney's Steelers were for George Halas's Bears once upon a time.

DSpivack
08-14-2009, 10:05 PM
what was with all the flyovers at the Cubs game? The air show is tomorrow, too bad they couldn't drop a bomb at that dump. :tongue:

Air Show Preview today. I was thinking of going and should have. Get to see many of the same planes, but without the crowds.

thedudeabides
08-14-2009, 10:19 PM

He may be, time will tell. I'm not overwhelmed by any of the returns they've gotten. And the organization is larger than him, and I still think it's a joke. If I were a fan I would be pretty upset. Although, at this point I would probably be so indifferent it wouldn't matter.

ChiSoxGirl
08-14-2009, 10:43 PM

That's ALL?!?!?! Wow.

1908<2005
08-14-2009, 11:04 PM
How is this 3 pages? Who gives a ****.

Mod edit: We have a language filter. Use it.

Marqhead
08-15-2009, 09:41 AM

Tangents. We started talking about flyovers and the Pirates. :dunno:

robertks61
08-15-2009, 10:23 AM
The way the cub celebrated after the game I had though they won a playoff game. I had to watch because I was in Nick's Tavern in Lemont having a cheesburger....

ZombieRob
08-15-2009, 11:33 AM
They have the Pirates 30 more times this year it seems. If they don't take advantage of that, than this is truly a horrid team.

C-Dawg
08-15-2009, 12:23 PM
They have the Pirates 30 more times this year it seems.

My mother was so upset at the way the Cubs rolled over for the Phillies, that to comfort her I told her Bud Selig is holding an emergency meeting to re-schedule a Pirates series in every homestand for the rest of the year. If I could speak in teal, I would have. :wink: So in the strangest of coincidences, it turned out to be the Pirates in the very next series.... She thought I was serious about the re-scheduling!

DrCrawdad
08-18-2009, 07:10 AM

:rolleyes:

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-18-2009, 07:18 AM
M&H were reading a web poll(I think) this morning about Gregg's demotion.

38% said it was about time
4% said it didn't matter because Marmol scared them
57% said the season's over so who cares

One guy called in and said he's glad the Cubs are on the West Coast. he could sleep better at night not watching the game.

TornLabrum
08-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Just a quick note: You are responsible for what you quote. Two of you are receiving PMs for quoting an obvious language filter violation. If you're going to quote it, at least filter it yourself. Otherwise, don't quote it.

soltrain21
08-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I like the guy with a Cubs reference as his username is saying "who gives a ****" about a Cubs conversation.

Marqhead
08-18-2009, 12:11 PM
I like the guy with a Cubs reference as his username is saying "who gives a ****" about a Cubs conversation.

What's really funny to me is I've seen him post similar things in many Cubs related threads over the last few months.

kittle42
08-18-2009, 01:57 PM

Who's to say it's Cubs-related. I mean, number-wise, 1908 is less than 2005!

ChiSoxGirl
08-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Has anyone heard that 75 year old guy, Jack who's called in to the Waddle & Silvy Show twice since last Wednesday? Bits & pieces from his initial call have been played as they return from a commercial break and throughout their shows, as have things he's said during his most recent calls. Listening to him criticize the Cubs and call "that Henry" an imbecile is hysterical! :roflmao:

WizardsofOzzie
08-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Has anyone heard that 75 year old guy, Jack who's called in to the Waddle & Silvy Show twice since last Wednesday? Bits & pieces from his initial call have been played as they return from a commercial break and throughout their shows, as have things he's said during his most recent calls. Listening to him criticize the Cubs and call "that Henry" an imbecile is hysterical! :roflmao:
Sounds like Kristin's grandfather. He always has something to say about baseball whether it's about the Cubs or the Sox and usually starts with something like "That bum" or "Those idiots". First Thanksgiving we had together, he was on some tangent about how "Those bum Sox in 05, paid off those umpires". Took all I could to keep my mouth shut.....I think he just likes to get a rise out of me :)

ChiSoxGirl
08-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Sounds like Kristin's grandfather. He always has something to say about baseball whether it's about the Cubs or the Sox and usually starts with something like "That bum" or "Those idiots". First Thanksgiving we had together, he was on some tangent about how "Those bum Sox in 05, paid off those umpires". Took all I could to keep my mouth shut.....I think he just likes to get a rise out of me :)

That caller I was referring to also uses phrases like that, and I think that's part of what makes listening to him so entertaining/funny.