PDA

View Full Version : Royce Ring signs $1.6 MM bonus


Vsahajpal
06-06-2002, 05:57 PM
n/m

RedPinStripes
06-06-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
n/m

Hey. I'm new here. What's n\m mean? :?:

Jjav829
06-06-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


Hey. I'm new here. What's n\m mean? :?:

No message.

Vsahajpal
06-06-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829


No message.


It means Nardi and Manuel must be split apart :D:

KruseControl04
06-06-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal



It means Nardi and Manuel must be split apart :D:

Hahaha...... Yeah.....

NUKE_CLEVELAND
06-06-2002, 09:46 PM
LMAO!! Another Royce. If we call Royce Clayton "THE CHOICE!" then what are we gonna call this dude? I've been hearing some good things about him, though.

Garrison
06-07-2002, 12:42 AM
if he is any good, but still in the minors, then we'll probably never see him up here. even when he's ready and all. <sigh> :gulp:

foulkesfan11
06-07-2002, 09:17 AM
I know this is a different guy & everything, but every time I hear the name Royce, I cringe.

duke of dorwood
06-07-2002, 09:32 AM
$1.6 million

Call him "Rolls Royce"

Dadawg_77
06-07-2002, 11:40 AM
Vsahajpal,it seems you are high on this kid, while some of the other experts here, really aren't. I am just curious why?

Randar68
06-07-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Vsahajpal,it seems you are high on this kid, while some of the other experts here, really aren't. I am just curious why?

It's not that the rest of us don't think he can be a good pitcher, but the talent they passed on had a higher ceiling than Royce. It wasn't lack of confidence in Royce's ability, more so the disappointment in the draft philosophy of the scouting staff. I had previously said I thought there were 4-8 signable (for the Sox) players available at that position in the draft whom we passed on. Hopefully, we use that extra dough we saved with Royce to sign all of our top 15-20 round picks...I might not be as disappoined in that scenario...

Vsahajpal
06-07-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Vsahajpal,it seems you are high on this kid, while some of the other experts here, really aren't. I am just curious why?

Well, you have to ask yourself this: Are there really any other experts here? :D:

j/k!

It seems to me that some others don't understand the reasoning behind drafting someone with a ceiling of a reliever. That's fine, but the way I look at it, Ring's upside as a reliever is a lot safer proposition (in that the likelihood he reaches it will be greater) than many of the players that BA ranked ahead of Ring.

This draft was okay in depth, but there were no premium talents. I'd say Brownlie and Loewen were the closest things when the season began, but many scouts red-flagged Brownlie and to some extent Loewen as well (based on health, performance, and other factors). Despite this, you still have guys looking for slot or superslot bonuses. Kris Honel was a premium talent (for a HS pitcher), and the Sox pulled the trigger. In 2002 Jason Neighborgall's ceiling may be higher, but many scouts shied away from his past injury history, his spotty command, and his attitude. Now he may have ranked as the 6th best prospect in the draft, but would you have advised the Sox to pay Neighborgall 3x the cash that Kris Honel received?

I think fiscally, it was a wise decision, and I also like Ring a lot. He already has 2 plus knockout pitches, and is developing a major league changeup. He will fly through the system and be ready as soon as 2003, awfully quick returns.

There may have been sexier picks, but to me Ring was a wise choice.

Randar68
06-07-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal


Well, you have to ask yourself this: Are there really any other experts here? :D:

j/k!

It seems to me that some others don't understand the reasoning behind drafting someone with a ceiling of a reliever. That's fine, but the way I look at it, Ring's upside as a reliever is a lot safer proposition (in that the likelihood he reaches it will be greater) than many of the players that BA ranked ahead of Ring.

This draft was okay in depth, but there were no premium talents. I'd say Brownlie and Loewen were the closest things when the season began, but many scouts red-flagged Brownlie and to some extent Loewen as well (based on health, performance, and other factors). Despite this, you still have guys looking for slot or superslot bonuses. Kris Honel was a premium talent (for a HS pitcher), and the Sox pulled the trigger. In 2002 Jason Neighborgall's ceiling may be higher, but many scouts shied away from his past injury history, his spotty command, and his attitude. Now he may have ranked as the 6th best prospect in the draft, but would you have advised the Sox to pay Neighborgall 3x the cash that Kris Honel received?

I think fiscally, it was a wise decision, and I also like Ring a lot. He already has 2 plus knockout pitches, and is developing a major league changeup. He will fly through the system and be ready as soon as 2003, awfully quick returns.

There may have been sexier picks, but to me Ring was a wise choice.

Well, the draft is never a quick fix for anything on the major league level. Saving money is one thing, and ability to step in soon is another.

I think you draft Ring-type players later in the draft and you save you top picks for potential stars, regardless of health or other issues (to a limited extent)

As I have said before, I would trade the Sox for Cubs draft any day of the week.

Vsahajpal
06-07-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


Well, the draft is never a quick fix for anything on the major league level. Saving money is one thing, and ability to step in soon is another.

I think you draft Ring-type players later in the draft and you save you top picks for potential stars, regardless of health or other issues (to a limited extent)

As I have said before, I would trade the Sox for Cubs draft any day of the week.

If it were feasible, I'd trade the rights to Luke Hagerty for Royce Ring. I think Hagerty's upside is tremendous, and I may eat my words someday, but I think Ring is that good.

And the other thing is, what if the Sox truly thought Ring was the best player on the board? They haven't exactly been averse to making risky picks as of late. In a relatively weak draft, selecting a guy whom you think has the highest chance to succeed isn't all that bad. Moreover, if there is a draft in which to go cheap, this may be the one. I like the 4th round pick, the HS LHP from Texas a lot, Reed was a stretch, no doubt. We'll see!

LongDistanceFan
06-07-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal


If it were feasible, I'd trade the rights to Luke Hagerty for Royce Ring. I think Hagerty's upside is tremendous, and I may eat my words someday, but I think Ring is that good.

And the other thing is, what if the Sox truly thought Ring was the best player on the board? They haven't exactly been averse to making risky picks as of late. In a relatively weak draft, selecting a guy whom you think has the highest chance to succeed isn't all that bad. Moreover, if there is a draft in which to go cheap, this may be the one. I like the 4th round pick, the HS LHP from Texas a lot, Reed was a stretch, no doubt. We'll see! i wonder if this pick was an insurance for not resigning folke?