PDA

View Full Version : Should the Sox get a new leadoff hitter in the off-season?

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2009, 10:37 PM
I say yes. Pods is an atrocious outfielder, and I don't expect him to put up these types of numbers next season. Regardless, his fielding is awful. I rather the Sox sign somebody who is more proven, and who can actually field. Pods has been amazing this year, and we wouldn't be where we are without him, but I just don't see him fitting into the long term plans of the Sox.

JB98
08-13-2009, 10:41 PM
If they can find one, yes. Leadoff hitters are hard to acquire, because there are few good ones out there.

The Sox are living on borrowed time with Pods.

WhiteSox5187
08-13-2009, 10:42 PM
I love Pods but I don't think he can be expected to put up these kind of numbers next year. Having said that, I think he has earned a new contract and a spot as the fourth outfielder.

skobabe8
08-13-2009, 10:50 PM
I say yes. Pods is an atrocious outfielder, and I don't expect him to put up these types of numbers next season. Regardless, his fielding is awful. I rather the Sox sign somebody who is more proven, and who can actually field. Pods has been amazing this year, and we wouldn't be where we are without him, but I just don't see him fitting into the long term plans of the Sox.

So you fully expected him to put up these types of numbers this year?

I'm not saying Pods is the answer for the next 4-5 years, but the fact is he has made it really difficult to complain about a leadoff guy this year. What will we do next year? Who knows.

hawkjt
08-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I love Pods but I don't think he can be expected to put up these kind of numbers next year. Having said that, I think he has earned a new contract and a spot as the fourth outfielder.

I just think Pods has figured out his muscle pull issues and is a late bloomer hitting wise. I think he is about to go on a good run right now, he looked very hitterish again last nite.

Leadoff guys who hit.300 and are fast, and will steal 25-30 bags do not grow on trees. In left field Pods has played decent defense, even throwing out a couple of guys..center field is the problem.
If you told everyone that Jerry Owens,Getz,Nix or lillibridge had played 100 games at leadoff and would be hitting .300 with 20 bags at the beginning of the season, people would be doing handstands.

Now, because of a couple baserunning lapses...suddenly .300 average and .340 oba at leadoff is not good enough?

Our offense totally sucked until he showed up..then it came alive...and we want to discard Pods for the next ''prospect''? Figgins is not going anywhere unless he wants 10 million...Pods will cost 2. We can use the other eight for a fifth starter and bullpen.

Domeshot17
08-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Give me Pods in LF at 2-2.5 mil vs Figgins at 7.5 mil for 4-5 years anyday

Rudy Law
08-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Picked off 3rd Base in extra innings..... Give me Chone Figgins!!!.... Scotty Pods has ZERO Baseball instinct!!!!

skobabe8
08-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Can't Rios lead off?

voodoochile
08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Picked off 3rd Base in extra innings..... Give me Chone Figgins!!!.... Scotty Pods has ZERO Baseball instinct!!!!

I love this site, but these types of posts only prove how ridiculously short the human memory is...:rolleyes:

I agree with Domeshot :o:

Rather have Pods back for less money so they can use the money for the bullpen or for a 5th starter.

Whitesoxfan23

I don't recall me saying that is the reason. I'm talking about his defense. I hope they eventually put Rios in CF.

BadBobbyJenks
Count your blessings you caught lightning in a bottle with Pods for however long he keeps it up this year and move on.

Obviously I salivate over the idea of Figgins and Beckham at the top of the lineup.

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2009, 11:06 PM
If we can re-sign Pods for a 4th OF, then I say heck yes, go for it.

voodoochile
Please don't put words into my mouth.

What the **** are you talking about? When or where did I do that?

BadBobbyJenks
Why is Figgins all of a sudden going to get 7.5 million? What leads anyone to believe after last offseason, he will command such a contract?

Daver
08-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Neither do you apparently.

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2009, 11:08 PM
What the **** are you talking about? When or where did I do that?

Ugh. I meant to click quote again, on Rudy Law's post. Sorry, I clicked on yours instead. I'm at work and was in a hurry.

voodoochile
08-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Ugh. I meant to click quote again, on Rudy Law's post. Sorry, I clicked on yours instead. I'm at work and was in a hurry.

No worries... You just confused me...:tongue:

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2009, 11:10 PM
No worries... You just confused me...:tongue:

Lol. I bet.

voodoochile
08-13-2009, 11:11 PM
If we can re-sign Pods for a 4th OF, then I say heck yes, go for it.

If the Sox can keep the 4 OF they have with Kotsay as the 5th OF/1B backup, I'd be pretty happy. There would always be at least one solid bat on the bench to use as a PH and the legs should stay pretty fresh with a 4 man rotation in the OF.

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2009, 11:11 PM

Please don't put words into my mouth.

hawkjt
08-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Why is Figgins all of a sudden going to get 7.5 million? What leads anyone to believe after last offseason, he will command such a contract?

Leadoff guys are really hard to find, and with baseball going to more speed and less power, there will be a bidding war for Figgins if he is as good as you think...he will be looking to secure one more big deal...4years 30 million...minimum. Yanks pay Damon 12 million/yr..chump change for them.

he is better than pods, but only 2 years younger,and will fetch 6 millon/yr premium over Pods...we can use that to keep bobby jenks.

Rudy Law
08-13-2009, 11:17 PM
The man got picked off 3rd base in the 10th inning with Jim Thome up....He got picked off Monday after leading off the game with a hit... He plays an awful outfield... Anyone remember that play in LF in Minnesota?......They Sox got a lot more out of a guy who didn't have a job to start the season than they could have hoped for... Thanks Scott for 2005 and all you gave us this year, but it is time to move on....Give me Rios in center and TCQ in left...

hawkjt
08-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Pods screwed up,no doubt...figgins has been picked off 10 times to Pods 7 this year and people want to pay 6 million a year more for figgins?
Base-stealers get picked off more...nature of the beast. Pods has been picked off 7 times but has been caught stealing only 2 out of 20 tries.

Rudy Law
08-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Pods screwed up,no doubt...figgins has been picked off 10 times to Pods 7 this year and people want to pay 6 million a year more for figgins?
Base-stealers get picked off more...nature of the beast. Pods has been picked off 7 times but has been caught stealing only 2 out of 20 tries.

Really?...I didn't know that... That I understand...I think the biggest argument for Figgins though is he can play a number of spots... He can play 2nd, 3rd, and all 3 OF spots..... So what I am trying to say is that pound for pound Figgins is a better baseball player... He may cost a little more but he is a better player.... Nothing against Pods...

gobears1987
08-13-2009, 11:39 PM
It isn't a priority, but if we can get Figgins, you can't pass on that.

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2009, 11:55 PM
It isn't a priority, but if we can get Figgins, you can't pass on that.

KW (along with alot of the White Sox fanbase) has been drooling over Figgins for a long time. I'd love to see it happen.

JermaineDye05
08-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Pods has to be gone this offseason. I don't see him hitting like this next year. Thank him for what he did and part ways. Pods can't field and is a bad baserunner, he really has no value to this team in the future.

Noneck
08-14-2009, 12:00 AM
I guess it depends on who.

Nellie_Fox
08-14-2009, 12:05 AM
The man got picked off 3rd base in the 10th inning with Jim Thome up....He got picked off Monday after leading off the game with a hit... He plays an awful outfield... Anyone remember that play in LF in Minnesota?......They Sox got a lot more out of a guy who didn't have a job to start the season than they could have hoped for... Thanks Scott for 2005 and all you gave us this year, but it is time to move on....Give me Rios in center and TCQ in left...Why do you put a little string of dots between your sentences?

Rudy Law
08-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Why do you put a little string of dots between your sentences?

I do that because I type fast and it is how I seperate my thoughts. I know it is not the proper way but this is an internet forum not a term paper. Are you just trying to break my balls or are you really just curious?

BadBobbyJenks
08-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Leadoff guys are really hard to find, and with baseball going to more speed and less power, there will be a bidding war for Figgins if he is as good as you think...he will be looking to secure one more big deal...4years 30 million...minimum. Yanks pay Damon 12 million/yr..chump change for them.

he is better than pods, but only 2 years younger,and will fetch 6 millon/yr premium over Pods...we can use that to keep bobby jenks.

alright I was intrigued what the top lead off men make
Lead off men: (per year)

Angels - Figgins 5.7 million
Astros - Bourn 400k
A's - Kennedy 3.33 Mill
Jays - Scutaro 1.3 Mil
Braves - mclouth 5.25 Mil
Brewers - Weeks 2.45 Mil
Cards - Not sure who it was before Lugo but he makes 9 Million of Boston money
Cubs - Theriot 500K
Dbacks - Drew 1.1 Mil
Dodgers - Furcal 10 Mil
Giants - Velez 400k
Indians - Sizemore 4 Mil
Mariners - Ichiro 17 Mil
Marlins - not sure if they have a set one and he is probably making the min
Mets - Reyes 6 mil
Nats - Morgan 400k
Orioles - Roberts 10 Mil
Padres - Gwynn 500k
Phils - Rollins 8 Mil
Pirates - Mcutchen rookie salary
Rangers - Kinsler 5 mil
Rays - Bartlett 1.9 Mil
Reds - Taveras 3.1 Mil
Red Sox - Elsbury 500k
Rockies - Barmes 1.6 Mil
Royals - Dejesus 3 Mil
Tigers - Granderson 6 Mil
Twins - Span 425K
Yanks - Jeter 20 Mil

There are 6 lead off men that make more than 6 million, what are the chances Figgins lands that in this economy?

doublem23
08-14-2009, 12:32 AM
There are 6 lead off men that make more than 6 million, what are the chances Figgins lands that in this economy?

I suppose that depends on who thinks they need a lead-off hitter. Though, with Figgins, it's not about the amount as much as it the length, too. I'm going out on a limb and thinking Pods could probably be had for another 1-year deal. I think Figgins will at least take a few years to sign and the guy is a streak 31-year-old.

jabrch
08-14-2009, 12:55 AM
I'm guessing Rios plays CF next year until either Danks or Mitchell make it.

BadBobbyJenks
08-14-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm guessing Rios plays CF next year until either Danks or Mitchell make it.

I'm guessing Paulie plays 1B next year.

Rohan
08-14-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm guessing Paulie plays 1B next year.

That's a good guess.

I'm all for Chone Figgins. He fits on this team just fine. If he fits in the payroll, i'll take him in a second. A nice two or three year deal would be nice too.

kufram
08-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Considering our leadoff hitter results this year before Pods was called up I have nothing but gratitude for his availability. Did I read somewhere that it was actually a couple of players that lobbied for giving him a chance?

His base stealing threat is the important thing when he is on base, but his immediate effect was what he did to get on base. Walks, bunts, swinging bunts, infield hits, pokes over the infield, etc. Sure, if you can get Figgins do it. If not, why don't we let Pods have more than 2 or 3 bad plays to weigh against his huge contribution?

cards press box
08-14-2009, 03:12 AM
Give me Pods in LF at 2-2.5 mil vs Figgins at 7.5 mil for 4-5 years anyday

I love this site, but these types of posts only prove how ridiculously short the human memory is...:rolleyes:

I agree with Domeshot :o:

Rather have Pods back for less money so they can use the money for the bullpen or for a 5th starter.

Astros - Bourn 400k
A's - Kennedy 3.33 Mill
Jays - Scutaro 1.3 Mil
Brewers - Weeks 2.45 Mil
Cubs - Theriot 500K
Dbacks - Drew 1.1 Mil
Dodgers - Furcal 10 Mil
Giants - Velez 400k
Indians - Sizemore 4 Mil
Mariners - Ichiro 17 Mil
Mets - Reyes 6 mil
Nats - Morgan 400k
Orioles - Roberts 10 Mil
Padres - Gwynn 500k
Phils - Rollins 8 Mil
Rangers - Kinsler 5 mil
Rays - Bartlett 1.9 Mil
Reds - Taveras 3.1 Mil
Red Sox - Elsbury 500k
Rockies - Barmes 1.6 Mil
Royals - Dejesus 3 Mil
Twins - Span 425K
Yanks - Jeter 20 Mil

The question here appears to be the respective market values for Scott Podsednik and Chone Figgins. If the Sox can get Figgins at a price they deem fair and reasonable, they might well sign him to play 3B and move Gordon Beckham to 2B. In that scenario, Figgins would essentially replace Chris Getz, not Podsednik.

Assuming that Figgins signs with the Sox, the question then becomes this: of the three free agents the Sox have at OF and DH (Podsednik, Thome and Dye), two probably will return. If the Sox want to keep getting faster and younger, the two might be Podsednik and Dye.

pmck003
08-14-2009, 03:47 AM
I have no problem with the Sox spending more for Chone, esp if he plays 3b and Alexei can go to 2b again. I'd actually be happy with a Chone/Pods Pods/Chone 1-2. How good is TCQ's arm; can he play right? Pods Lf, Rios Cf, TCQ Rf? As awesome as Dye is, at this point I would worry more about him dropping off next year than Pods based off the last month and his injury history.

wassagstdu
08-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Pods has given the Sox whatever hope they still have for a successful year this year and without him there was no 2005.

asindc
08-14-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm for signing Figgins to be leadoff at a reasonable contract, but I'm not as enthusiastic about giving him more than 3 years. I would like Pods back as 4th OF regardless. If Pods can leadoff about 3 times a week, with Rios or Getz leading off the rest of the time, I think we will be okay. I wouldn't strain the budget to sign Figgins. I would rather spend money on a 5th starter and the bullpen.

hawkjt
08-14-2009, 10:39 AM

Astros - Bourn 400k
A's - Kennedy 3.33 Mill
Jays - Scutaro 1.3 Mil
Brewers - Weeks 2.45 Mil
Cubs - Theriot 500K
Dbacks - Drew 1.1 Mil
Dodgers - Furcal 10 Mil
Giants - Velez 400k
Indians - Sizemore 4 Mil
Mariners - Ichiro 17 Mil
Mets - Reyes 6 mil
Nats - Morgan 400k
Orioles - Roberts 10 Mil
Padres - Gwynn 500k
Phils - Rollins 8 Mil
Rangers - Kinsler 5 mil
Rays - Bartlett 1.9 Mil
Reds - Taveras 3.1 Mil
Red Sox - Elsbury 500k
Rockies - Barmes 1.6 Mil
Royals - Dejesus 3 Mil
Twins - Span 425K
Yanks - Jeter 20 Mil

Good info. Figgins is having a great year and makes 5.7 already. The FA market will pay more this next year, the economy is coming back already and by next jan...it will be stronger. The bargains like Abreu will not be there next year. Coming off his strong year, Figgins will get a raise from 5.7 million, and it will be at least a 3-4 year deal. The angels have money and like him, they will be competitive probably in the bidding...the Red Sox could miss the playoffs and will want to move youklis first,and get a third baseman...they will be in the bidding,probably...I say figgins gets at least 30 million for 4 years...Pods can be signed for 3 million for 2 years,I bet.
If I am making the call...I take the 27 million diff and put it elsewhere, like a fifth starter or bullpen..or hold it til mid-season bargains are available again.

Lip Man 1
08-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Hawk:

From what I've been told the only person in the Angels organization who still is on his side is Scioscia. Everyone else from the G.M. on down wants him gone.

Supposedly he doesn't get along with teammates...why I don't know and I don't know if that would be an issue somewhere else.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
08-14-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm mixed on this, we have struggled to find a leadoff man ever since we released him in 07. Now we have one but where does he play?
I'm leaning towards Rios as next years leadoff guy

Lip Man 1
08-14-2009, 02:50 PM
From what I've been hearing and reading the free agent market next off season is still supposedly to be heavily titled in the buyer's favor due to the economy.

We'll see.

Lip

UChicagoHP
08-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Give me the Figgins any day and all day over a closer. Well, except the one named Mariano...from ten years ago...