PDA

View Full Version : NBC (Channel 5) News is a disgrace...

Kilroy
08-13-2009, 11:15 PM
First, they lead with the story of the yahoo at Wrigley last night throwing a beer on the Phils left fielder as he was trying to field a fly balll. How that is the lead story on ANY day of the year is beyond me. Police looking for a suspect who shot a 15 year old girl isn't more news worthy?

But then they went further to make themselves look ridiculous. Saying that surely, the dousing would make baseball look to beef up security at ball parks, they then rolled footage of the Ligues and the clown who charged the Laz Diaz at Comiskey, making sure to mention the White Sox prominently each time.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Those events happened 6-7 years ago. They couldn't find the footage of Randy Myers getting charged by a fan? Chad Krueter? Bull****.

ChiSoxGirl
08-13-2009, 11:47 PM
First, they lead with the story of the yahoo at Wrigley last night throwing a beer on the Phils left fielder as he was trying to field a fly balll. How that is the lead story on ANY day of the year is beyond me. Police looking for a suspect who shot a 15 year old girl isn't more news worthy?

But then they went further to make themselves look ridiculous. Saying that surely, the dousing would make baseball look to beef up security at ball parks, they then rolled footage of the Ligues and the clown who charged the Laz Diaz at Comiskey, making sure to mention the White Sox prominently each time.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Those events happened 6-7 years ago. They couldn't find the footage of Randy Myers getting charged by a fan? Chad Krueter? Bull****.

I saw this and thought the exact same thing you did. Pure crap. :rolleyes:

skobabe8
08-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Well, ABC 7 isn't kicking their ass in the ratings for no reason! :D:

seventyseven
08-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Local news broadcasts = waste of time. Find what you want on the internet and read it.

/thread

kittle42
08-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Local news broadcasts = waste of time. Find what you want on the internet and read it.

Seriously, why does ANYONE watch local news?

Cuck the Fubs
08-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Seriously, why does ANYONE watch local news?

Ginger Zee :bandance:

kittle42
08-14-2009, 10:27 AM

There has never been a person attractive enough to make me sit through a horrendous local newscast. Well, except members of the Channel 4 News Team.

Jpgr91
08-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Face it: The Ligues are a huge black eye to the reputation of the organization. That was one of the most outrageous things to EVER happen at a baseball game. A lot of people simply overlook how outrageous the Ligue incident was. If someone has a problem with the way the media reports on the Sox simply stop watching the media outlets that you feel portray the Sox in an unfair light.

slavko
08-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Who is the person responsible for their news content? The person who reads the stuff?

cbotnyse
08-14-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't really see what the big deal is.

kittle42
08-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Face it: The Ligues are a huge black eye to the reputation of the organization. That was one of the most outrageous things to EVER happen at a baseball game. A lot of people simply overlook how outrageous the Ligue incident was. If someone has a problem with the way the media reports on the Sox simply stop watching the media outlets that you feel portray the Sox in an unfair light.

Exactly. Sox fans' attempts to downplay the incident are always fruitless. They attacked a coach and caused him hearing loss. This is umpteen times worse than tossing a beer, grabbing a hat, etc. Yes, Cubs fans and other fans have attempted to charge people on the field. However, it's a case of the Ligues being a bigger story because *they were successful* in their attempt.

We'll always have to deal with it.

southside rocks
08-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Exactly. Sox fans' attempts to downplay the incident are always fruitless. They attacked a coach and caused him hearing loss. This is umpteen times worse than tossing a beer, grabbing a hat, etc. Yes, Cubs fans and other fans have attempted to charge people on the field. However, it's a case of the Ligues being a bigger story because *they were successful* in their attempt.

We'll always have to deal with it.

Yeah, but equating the Ligues and the beer-tosser is comparing apples and oranges.

The Ligue incident was horrible, and those two men were total thugs who are probably in jail now for running a meth lab or a dog-fighting ring or something -- just total scum. They in no way represent White Sox fanship.

The beer-tossing loser? He DOES represent Cubs fanship, to a great degree! Seriously! Look at the propensity that fans at that park have for throwing stuff on the field, this is not uncommon behavior there; whereas the Ligues' behavior was very unusual and is NOT routinely duplicated at the Cell or any other ballpark.

The "news" media wants to make the two things comparable but they are not.

cws05champ
08-14-2009, 11:41 AM
yeah, but equating the ligues and the beer-tosser is comparing apples and oranges.

The ligue incident was horrible, and those two men were total thugs who are probably in jail now for running a meth lab or a dog-fighting ring or something -- just total scum. They in no way represent white sox fanship.

The beer-tossing loser? He does represent cubs fanship, to a great degree! Seriously! Look at the propensity that fans at that park have for throwing stuff on the field, this is not uncommon behavior there; whereas the ligues' behavior was very unusual and is not routinely duplicated at the cell or any other ballpark.

this!!

PatK
08-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah, but equating the Ligues and the beer-tosser is comparing apples and oranges.

The Ligue incident was horrible, and those two men were total thugs who are probably in jail now for running a meth lab or a dog-fighting ring or something -- just total scum. They in no way represent White Sox fanship.

The beer-tossing loser? He DOES represent Cubs fanship, to a great degree! Seriously! Look at the propensity that fans at that park have for throwing stuff on the field, this is not uncommon behavior there; whereas the Ligues' behavior was very unusual and is NOT routinely duplicated at the Cell or any other ballpark.

Correct.

I can't find one fan that supported any aspect of the Ligues actions.

People were actually applauding the guy that threw the beer, and they taunted Victorino after it happened.

Dibbs
08-14-2009, 12:19 PM
As sick as I am of seeing those Ligue fools, that is the craziest thing to ever happen regarding fan behavior.

areilly
08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
As sick as I am of seeing those Ligue fools, that is the craziest thing to ever happen regarding fan behavior.

In MLB, sure, but some of what happens in soccer spectatordom makes Ligue look like a volunteer in a children's burn ward.

gobears1987
08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
In MLB, sure, but some of what happens in soccer spectatordom makes Ligue look like a volunteer in a children's burn ward.
Really? I thought football fans never did anything bad. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_war)

tony1972
08-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Well, ABC 7 isn't kicking their ass in the ratings for no reason! :D:

Being trashed by NBC is like the Captain of the Titanic denying your ticket to board the ship.

tstrike2000
08-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Face it: The Ligues are a huge black eye to the reputation of the organization.

Anyone flub fan moron who did any research would know the Ligues were admitted flub fans, even by the wife, that decided to get ripped and go to a Sox game. Why channel 5 decided to bring up that incident is stupid and I agree I don't know why this Phillies incident would be a top story. No wonder why one of my favorites, Anna Davlantes, left.

Medford Bobby
08-14-2009, 05:39 PM

Wow, that's who I thought of right away, since Paula Faris is on leave....:wink:

ChiSoxGirl
08-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Wow, that's who I thought of right away, since Paula Faris is on leave....:wink:

:hijacked: She finally had her baby, huh?! She looked like she was going to pop three weeks ago before I left for Disney World!

pythons007
08-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Anyone flub fan moron who did any research would know the Ligues were admitted flub fans, even by the wife, that decided to get ripped and go to a Sox game. Why channel 5 decided to bring up that incident is stupid and I agree I don't know why this Phillies incident would be a top story. No wonder why one of my favorites, Anna Davlantes, left.

Thats what I thought about those douches. I thought they were Cub fans!

Medford Bobby
08-14-2009, 05:55 PM
:hijacked: She finally had her baby, huh?! She looked like she was going to pop three weeks ago before I left for Disney World!
I seem to remember them showing the picture of a boy and weighing 8.7 lbs!!!:D:

TornLabrum
08-14-2009, 06:23 PM

Exactly...wrong. The old man was chaperoning a birthday party. (How's that for a chaperone?) At the time the wife said they weren't even very big baseball fans. It was Dybas who was the Cubs fan who got ripped at Wrigley that afternoon, drove home, drank even more, and then decided to drive to the Sox game to drink still more.

tstrike2000
08-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Exactly...wrong. The old man was chaperoning a birthday party. (How's that for a chaperone?) At the time the wife said they weren't even very big baseball fans. It was Dybas who was the Cubs fan who got ripped at Wrigley that afternoon, drove home, drank even more, and then decided to drive to the Sox game to drink still more.

I never heard that one, although I guess it depends on the article you read. An article I read said had the ex-wife saying they weren't Sox fans. I remember about Dybas. Either way you cut it, the Ligue thing needed to not be brought up on the news.

Viva Medias B's
08-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Who reported that story for NBC 5? Someone made reference to ABC 7's dominance in the ratings, but I don't consider them better than either NBC 5 or CBS 2. Like the Cubs, the only thing ABC 7 can win the the Attendance Trophy.

DumpJerry
08-15-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm a Channel 5 viewer. Grew up on Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson-I miss them greatly. Those were the days.....

KnightSox
08-15-2009, 01:34 AM
Grew up on Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson-I miss them greatly. Those were the days.....I remember Walters perspective from his messy office. I miss Skippy at times too, but not as much as Kurtis.

Nellie_Fox
08-15-2009, 02:01 AM
I'm a Channel 5 viewer. Grew up on Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson-I miss them greatly. Those were the days.....They were on Channel 2. Back then, it was Floyd Kalber on 5.

I couldn't stand little Skippy Jacobson bouncing up and down in his chair. Kurtis was a pro.

Lip Man 1
08-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Hal is exactly correct. In fact the Chicago radio stations had his girlfriend and his roommate on air the next day and both said they were shocked he was even at a Sox game, that he was a Cub fan who went to their game that afternoon and got completely hammered.

Lip

DSpivack
08-15-2009, 02:22 AM
They were on Channel 2. Back then, it was Floyd Kalber on 5.

I couldn't stand little Skippy Jacobson bouncing up and down in his chair. Kurtis was a pro.

That was pretty much before my time, but I've never liked Walter Jacobson [mostly remembering him from doing the news on WFLD], and have always liked Bill Kurtis. For whatever reason, I could never take Jacobson seriously, while Kurtis had gravitas. I liked the A&E series he dubbed [and I think produced, as well] and other works.

TornLabrum
08-15-2009, 09:19 AM
That was pretty much before my time, but I've never liked Walter Jacobson [mostly remembering him from doing the news on WFLD], and have always liked Bill Kurtis. For whatever reason, I could never take Jacobson seriously, while Kurtis had gravitas. I liked the A&E series he dubbed [and I think produced, as well] and other works.

I'll tell you why you couldn't stand Jacobson. When he was a kid, he was a Cubs bat boy. Even if you didn't know it, you had a sixth sense about it.