PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Missile becomes the Nutcracker!?

getonbckthr
08-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Adrian Beltre on 15 day DL with an injured testicle. This comes 1 day after a hard shot to that same area from Alexei.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/12062300

VeeckAsInWreck
08-13-2009, 08:33 PM
The real lesson here is always wear a cup.

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/thegurglingcod/images/2008/02/12/the_more_you_know2.jpg

gobears1987
08-13-2009, 08:59 PM
The real lesson here is always wear a cup.

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/thegurglingcod/images/2008/02/12/the_more_you_know2.jpg

From my experience in sports I will say that a cup can only do so much. You always wear one as it always turns out better when you do get hit, but trust me, you still feel a lot of pain. He probably did have a cup on.

illinifan1368
08-13-2009, 09:14 PM
From my experience in sports I will say that a cup can only do so much. You always wear one as it always turns out better when you do get hit, but trust me, you still feel a lot of pain. He probably did have a cup on.
1. He was not wearing a cup
2. There is an awesome new cup on the market and you don't feel a thing

twentywontowin
08-13-2009, 09:27 PM

Nothing like taking a hockey puck to the cup. It will still put you to the ground.

doublem23
08-13-2009, 09:45 PM
2. There is an awesome new cup on the market and you don't feel a thing

6C9aiWr0Vfg

doublem23
08-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Nothing like taking a hockey puck to the cup. It will still put you to the ground.

Hard hit baseball on the infield usually travels significantly faster than a hockey puck ever could.

twentywontowin
08-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Hard hit baseball on the infield usually travels significantly faster than a hockey puck ever could.

Baseballs are made of wound thread, not solid frozen rubber. :D:

doublem23
08-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Baseballs are made of wound thread, not solid frozen rubber. :D:

Hockey players wear padding. :tongue:

esbrechtel
08-14-2009, 12:12 AM
You could tell in the late innings Beltre dove back into first after a pickoff attempt and he was really slow to get up I said to my GF he just racked himself there....I am guessing that is what either did it or did not make it better...

FloridaTigers
08-14-2009, 01:22 AM
TNDKfRlVKBw

PatK
08-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Hockey players wear padding. :tongue:

Not in the groin area, unless it's a cup

KRS1
08-14-2009, 01:19 PM

I've taken both shots multiple times, and I can wholeheartedly say the puck hurt a hell of a lot more. It must be the way the puck is shaped combined with the material, because it was almost as if there were no protection at all.

SSrep
08-14-2009, 01:23 PM

Both would hurt and hard to react to...but I don't agree with this

DumpJerry
08-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Not sure how fast a sharp line drive travels, but Bobby Hull would send the puck at 110+mph at the Goalie's head.

BigKlu59
08-14-2009, 01:59 PM
:scratch: Having played both sports and also having the honor of wearing the "Tools of Ignorance", Playing Hot Corner, Chucking the bean from the hump, and "Flesh Contused " in the batters box, I have to side with Peter Puck doing the most damage... I've seen digits splayed to the bone, bits knicked off, and even with padding, chipped'n broken bones as a result... And yes Virginia, even a couple of Baritones and Bass singers turned into Soprano's whilst wearing family jewel armour..

Case in point...

Would you rather stand in front of a Bobby Hull slap shot timed in the vicinity of 118 MPH, or a heater from a hurler topping out at 100 MPH.

As far as field play thats why I loved the transition from playing hockey to baseball in the spring...Shots off of the bat were already "timed" in my mind... If you hang round the crease area misdirecting bombs incoming between 75-100 MPH , picking up the pea off of the bat or from a hurl has a similar characteristic.. Sure you can bail in the box, but Getting plunked has a macho Ron Hunt quality to it.. :cool:The seams left behind make for a great tat and I get to get on, get around and get in...

The only thing Gump Worsley and Terry Sawchuck got was getting KO'd and a ride to Henroitan.....

What was that?... Pucks win out Palehosers

BigKlu59

DumpJerry
08-14-2009, 02:10 PM
:scratch: Having played both sports and also having the honor of wearing the "Tools of Ignorance", Playing Hot Corner, Chucking the bean from the hump, and "Flesh Contused " in the batters box, I have to side with Peter Puck doing the most damage... I've seen digits splayed to the bone, bits knicked off, and even with padding, chipped'n broken bones as a result... And yes Virginia, even a couple of Baritones and Bass singers turned into Soprano's whilst wearing family jewel armour..

Case in point...

Would you rather stand in front of a Bobby Hull slap shot timed in the vicinity of 118 MPH, or a heater from a hurler topping out at 100 MPH.

As far as field play thats why I loved the transition from playing hockey to baseball in the spring...Shots off of the bat were already "timed" in my mind... If you hang round the crease area misdirecting bombs incoming between 75-100 MPH , picking up the pea off of the bat or from a hurl has a similar characteristic.. Sure you can bail in the box, but Getting plunked has a macho Ron Hunt quality to it.. :cool:The seams left behind make for a great tat and I get to get on, get around and get in...

The only thing Gump Worsley and Terry Sawchuck got was getting KO'd and a ride to Henroitan.....

What was that?... Pucks win out Palehosers

BigKlu59
I nominate this post as the post with the most inside jargon in the history of WSI. I wonder if Google Translator can decipher it.:smile:

mantis1212
08-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Are you saying a major league 3rd Basemen was not wearing a cup?! That is absolutely nuts!

BigKlu59
08-14-2009, 02:28 PM
:bandance: Google Translator will implode and knock it out of service... Put me in that barber chair next to Yogi and that Afflac Duck would drop from a seizure...:bandance:Inside Jargon Rules !!!!! I blame it on all of those Pucks and Pea's I've taken for the cause :D: and to those radioactive transistor radios I held next to my head listening to Elson, Petitt and Brickhouse.

BigKlu59

eriqjaffe
08-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Are you saying a major league 3rd Basemen was not wearing a cup?! That is absolutely nuts!In more ways than one.

gobears1987
08-14-2009, 02:42 PM
*snip*
Are you sure the puck didn't hit your head? :tongue:

And yes, you would kill Google translator. That is one hell of an accomplishment.

BigKlu59
08-14-2009, 03:26 PM
:nocomment: I prefer to blame it on.... Those refreshing Showers I took at 35th and Shields....:bandance:

:shower

pdimas
08-14-2009, 04:25 PM
I've taken both shots multiple times, and I can wholeheartedly say the puck hurt a hell of a lot more. It must be the way the puck is shaped combined with the material, because it was almost as if there were no protection at all.

Hah in college I took a slapshot while screening the goalie. The guy wound up from the top of the left circle. I dropped like a ton of bricks. The trainer from the other team who was a female came running over. By this time im surrounded by teammates and the first words out of her mouth were, "Okay now where does it hurt?" As I stammered out, "Well I got hit in the nuts." my teammates were almost in tears from laughing so hard. She was instantly :redface: and more than a little uncomfortable. Her response was to stammer out, "Uhm well do you want some ice?" :tongue:

BigKlu59
08-14-2009, 04:43 PM
:D: Way to take one for the team, Puckhead...I can picture your mates guffawing in their stinky CCM Meathook leather.. Do you want some ice?:redface: Did they duct tape the cubes to the boys and sled you to the bench, or did you pop up and pull a Nesterenko and glide to the pine under your own power? **** the H2O bottle.... Crack me a beer !!!!

BigKlu59

KRS1
08-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Anyone else having a serious HorsemasterFred flashback?

gobears1987
08-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Anyone else having a serious HorsemasterFred flashback?
I'd forgotten about him.

Can anyone fish the link up for that thread? I just reminisced HomeFish's AJ graph and want to relive another great moment in WSI history. Neither beats the "Should I cell"

slavko
08-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Wearing a cup is not a guarantee. Bears DB Virgil Livers was wearing one when he lost half of his lifetime allotment on the field. No, he didn't get the game ball.

DSpivack
08-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Not sure how fast a sharp line drive travels, but Bobby Hull would send the puck at 110+mph at the Goalie's head.

I would guess much faster than that, as a batted ball certainly travels much faster than a thrown one.

That doesn't mean a puck doesn't hurt worse, though. Thankfully I don't know the answer to that question.