PDA

View Full Version : Question about our Minor League rankings

Rockabilly
08-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know what our organzation and minor league systems ranks among the other MLB teams?

delben91
08-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Does anyone know what our organzation and minor league systems ranks among the other MLB teams?

38th

DumpJerry
08-13-2009, 08:05 PM
I heard we moved up to 36th.

Daver
08-13-2009, 09:28 PM

As ranked by whom?

cws05champ
08-14-2009, 10:37 AM

According to Baseball America the Sox minor league system moved up to 16th, and in a lot of articles they have been saying that the Sox system has improved even more possibly into the Top ten. That was before graduating Beckham/Getz/Richard and the trade of Poreda, Carter. My feeling is that we'll probably stay around the same, 15-19th in the rankings next year due to the overall improvement in the system and higher level hitters and the rapid ascent of Hudson....despite graduating players and the trades.

Rockabilly
08-14-2009, 11:06 AM
According to Baseball America the Sox minor league system moved up to 16th, and in a lot of articles they have been saying that the Sox system has improved even more possibly into the Top ten. That was before graduating Beckham/Getz/Richard and the trade of Poreda, Carter. My feeling is that we'll probably stay around the same, 15-19th in the rankings next year due to the overall improvement in the system and higher level hitters and the rapid ascent of Hudson....despite graduating players and the trades.

thanks for the info.. I thought we were closer to the top 10 but saw an article that Keith Law had us around 22nd

cws05champ
08-14-2009, 11:10 AM
thanks for the info.. I thought we were closer to the top 10 but saw an article that Keith Law had us around 22nd

Reading Keith Law is your first mistake....Baseball America is the BOM.

jabrch
08-14-2009, 11:12 AM
These rankings are completely subjective and are relatively meaningless. That said, the consensus opinion seems that our farm is better than it was before - and that is good.

Rockabilly
08-14-2009, 11:17 AM
These rankings are completely subjective and are relatively meaningless. That said, the consensus opinion seems that our farm is better than it was before - and that is good.

I believe our ratings will slip a little bit next year because of Beckham, Hudson and maybe Flowers & Danks being with the major league team

cws05champ
08-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I believe our ratings will slip a little bit next year because of Beckham, Hudson and maybe Flowers & Danks being with the major league team

I wouldn't count any of those guys being on the ML roster beside Beckham of course. Danks has regressed since coming off the DL, Flowers needs a full time role, and I believe the Sox will get a veteran for the 5th starter spot for at least the 1st half of next year. Pitching prospects can be great one year and not not so hot the next...no guarantees with any of them.

DumpJerry
08-14-2009, 11:36 AM

I wouldn't count any of those guys being on the ML roster beside Beckham of course. Danks has regressed since coming off the DL, Flowers needs a full time role, and I believe the Sox will get a veteran for the 5th starter spot for at least the 1st half of next year. Pitching prospects can be great one year and not not so hot the next...no guarantees with any of them.
Agreed, cws. Danks and Flowers will most likely be in Charlotte next year. Hudson might be here, but I'm thinking KW might try to sign a seasoned vet if the terms are reasonable.

Chisoxfn
08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Agreed, cws. Danks and Flowers will most likely be in Charlotte next year. Hudson might be here, but I'm thinking KW might try to sign a seasoned vet if the terms are reasonable.
Flowers will be platooning in Chicago, getting AB's at 1st/DH/C. His bat is ready and the Sox like him a lot. It really will be a perfect way to get him acclimated to the majors, if they use him correctly.

The system ranks somewhere in the 15-20 range and that might change significantly depending on what happens. Carter/Poreda are gone, Beckham is at the big league level and right now there aren't a ton of guys from the most recent draft crop shooting up the ranks (Mitchell is legit but a lot of the other guys have a ton of question-marks and are raw...just like Mitchell is).

I'd say the jury is out but I wouldn't expect anything better than 15th and would be surprised with something around 20. Viciedo/Flowers/Hudson/Mitchell/Danks is a solid top 5 (in no particular order).

And you still have plenty of other solid arms like Leesman, Nunez, Shirek, Burdie, etc.