PDA

View Full Version : Getz goes on DL...

hawkjt
08-13-2009, 03:49 PM
for a strained oblique. Lillibridge called up.

Boondock Saint
08-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Ah ****. So we either have to deal with Nix's glove or Lillibridge's bat.

WhiteSox5187
08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Lillebridge?! NOOOOO!

asindc
08-13-2009, 03:56 PM

Actually, Nix played well at 2nd earlier this year. His problems have all been at SS.

BNLSox
08-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Perhaps we can DH for Lil'. I think I'd rather see our pitchers at the plate.

mcfish
08-13-2009, 03:59 PM
This makes a lot of sense. I was really wondering why PK or Dye didn't pinch hit for Nix in either of his post 9th inning at bats last night.

Crestani
08-13-2009, 03:59 PM

Nix's glove? :scratch: He has more range than Getz with just as much speed and a better arm. Getz is a better contact hitter however. My point is, I don't think we lose much othert than a left-hand bat with Getz out.

Lillibrige is another story all together. He will not help the club in any way except as a late-inning base runner.

Dibbs
08-13-2009, 04:00 PM
I like Nix and can live with him playing everyday. Lillibridge on the other hand...

SoxGirl4Life
08-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Noooooooooo... please, no.

LoveYourSuit
08-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Why not Alexei to 2B, Gordon to SS, and Fields back up?

If anything, this team is hurting for the long ball right now more than midgets who can't hit.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Brent Lillibridge...a waste of a roster spot (It also says volumes about the Sox minor league infield situation if he's the best they can pluck...)

Lip

BNLSox
08-13-2009, 04:07 PM
How's Rios at 2B?

Boondock Saint
08-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Why not Alexei to 2B, Gordon to SS, and Fields back up?

If anything, this team is hurting for the long ball right now more than midgets who can't hit.

Because that would mean shifting your entire infield (minus PK) around to facilitate one temporary move.

TDog
08-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Why not Alexei to 2B, Gordon to SS, and Fields back up? ...

Because the Sox are much better having Lillibridge at second than having Fields at thrid, and better still having Nix at second.

I can't imagine Guillen putting Fields anywhere near third base for the remainder of the season.

Beckham is your thrid baseman, not your shortstop. Get used to it.

Rohan
08-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Blast... Get better fast Getz

oeo
08-13-2009, 04:21 PM

:scratch:

Both are good defenders. We have to deal with a bad bat in both cases.

KRS1
08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Brent Lillibridge...a waste of a roster spot (It also says volumes about the Sox minor league infield situation if he's the best they can pluck...)

Lip

I think it has more to do with Ozzie being comfortable with Nix and us just needing a backup glove. It's not worth it to add CJ or Lang to the 40 man just to plug a hole for a week. The MI is pretty sorely lacking though, with the CJ's, Kuhn and MAYBE Silverio being the only real prospects we have there right not. Though, I guess when you consider we graduated two MI's this year it doesn't look so bad.

Boondock Saint
08-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Nix's glove? :scratch: He has more range than Getz with just as much speed and a better arm. Getz is a better contact hitter however. My point is, I don't think we lose much othert than a left-hand bat with Getz out.

Lillibrige is another story all together. He will not help the club in any way except as a late-inning base runner.

I can't be the only person that's watched Nix play SS this year. After watching him boot balls left and right, I find it hard to say that he's anywhere near a good defender.

asindc
08-13-2009, 04:30 PM
I can't be the only person that's watched Nix play SS this year. After watching him boot balls left and right, I find it hard to say that he's anywhere near a good defender.

If you are only talking about SS, I agree, but at 2nd he played the position well.

DirtySox
08-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Getz sure is frail this year.

Edit: Wrong Thread

Mod Edit: Moved it

mcfish
08-13-2009, 04:34 PM
"Getz goes on DL" - what about that leads you to think he'll be playing SS regularly?

russ99
08-13-2009, 04:39 PM
I love how some Sox fans can determine a player can't help the team after 68 at-bats.

Maybe Lillibridge has taken Ozzie's message to heart and isn't trying to hit like a power hitter anymore...

I'll take a guy who can use his speed, get on base and make thing happen over someone trying to hit a homer every at-bat.

gobears1987
08-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Because the Sox are much better having Lillibridge at second than having Fields at thrid, and better still having Nix at second.

I can't imagine Guillen putting Fields anywhere near third base for the remainder of the season.

I think you got this one right.

I heard Lillibridge's average has been rising and he's hitting the ball on the ground more to use his speed instead of trying to hit homers. If he does that, he can be fine.

doublem23
08-13-2009, 04:45 PM

I have no idea how Nix got a rep for being a good glove guy, but he is horse**** at SS.

gobears1987
08-13-2009, 04:46 PM
I have no idea how Nix got a rep for being a good glove guy, but he is horse**** at SS.
He's done fine at second and actually has a very good pivot move for turning DPs.

mcfish
08-13-2009, 04:48 PM
I have no idea how Nix got a rep for being a good glove guy, but he is horse**** at SS.Getz plays 2B.

Boondock Saint
08-13-2009, 04:53 PM
"Getz goes on DL" - what about that leads you to think he'll be playing SS regularly?

Nothing. What makes you think that moving a guy around the field magically makes him a better defender? Nix has been God-awful on defense the last few weeks. Moving him to 2B doesn't cure that.

Getz plays 2B.

We're aware of that.

DSpivack
08-13-2009, 04:54 PM
I love how some Sox fans can determine a player can't help the team after 68 at-bats.

Maybe Lillibridge has taken Ozzie's message to heart and isn't trying to hit like a power hitter anymore...

I'll take a guy who can use his speed, get on base and make thing happen over someone trying to hit a homer every at-bat.

He's hitting .252 in AAA.

gobears1987
08-13-2009, 04:55 PM
He's hitting .252 in AAA.
He was hitting .200 in AAA not that long ago so that's an average on the rise.

JB98
08-13-2009, 04:56 PM
I think Nix is good defensively at 2B and horrible at SS.

Nix will play his position just fine while Getz is out, but the lineup is weaker. Getz is clearly the better offensive player of the two.

asindc
08-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Nothing. What makes you think that moving a guy around the field magically makes him a better defender? Nix has been God-awful on defense the last few weeks. Moving him to 2B doesn't cure that.

We're aware of that.

As has been noted numerous times in this thread, Nix played much better at 2b earlier this year than he does at SS. Since Getz played 2b full time before going on the DL, the logical assumption is that Nix will play 2b in Getz's place, with Lillibridge taking Nix's place as the utility IF. That is why many of us are noting that Nix's problems at SS have no bearing on this discussion.

Konerko05
Why is it so hard to understand Nix received his reputation for being a good defender because he is an above average 2B?

He is a horrible SS, but it isn't his fault the Sox felt they could convert him to SS when he hasn't played an inning of SS since 2001.

I'm sure if you moved most players to a position they hadn't played in eight years, they would be pretty bad. That doesn't make them bad defenders. It just means they are playing out of position.

SoxSpeed22
Had a bad feeling that this was gonna happen when the Sox acquired that no-name AAA shortstop from Cleveland. Let's hope Lillibridge fixed that hitch in his swing.

EMachine10
08-13-2009, 05:00 PM
I think Nix is good defensively at 2B and horrible at SS.

Nix will play his position just fine while Getz is out, but the lineup is weaker. Getz is clearly the better offensive player of the two.
This.

depy48
08-13-2009, 05:16 PM
I strongly believe that Jayson Nix is going to surprise a lot of people with consistent playing time. Don't sleep on Jayson Nix, he was winning the 2B competition in spring training until he got hurt. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with consistent at bats, instead of the sporadic game once a week.

oeo
08-13-2009, 05:19 PM

He isn't a SS, and he won't be playing SS as long as Lillibridge is on the team.

LoveYourSuit
08-13-2009, 05:20 PM

OK Daddy, can I please watch TV now?

LoveYourSuit
08-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Because that would mean shifting your entire infield (minus PK) around to facilitate one temporary move.

Yeah don't want to break up that rhythm of such stellar infield play.

I'm more of the thinking if you ain't gonna bother catching it might as well get your best hackers in there.

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2009, 05:23 PM
The Sox could use the 1997 version of this guy right now.:ralomar:
Or this guy during the 2000 season:
:mkillcub

Ranger
08-13-2009, 05:25 PM

Because he HAS played very well at 2B this year already. And because sometimes guys are good at 2B, but struggle at SS. This is not uncommon.

Why is it so hard to understand Nix received his reputation for being a good defender because he is an above average 2B?

Because sometimes people are married to their opinions and refuse to change them regardless of facts that disprove them.

hawkjt
08-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Nix is clearly much more comfortable at second base. His footwork was all messed up over at SS due to hurrying...at second he takes his time and is solid.
As for offense, Nix has been pretty solid of late at the plate also. He is pretty patient and has been drawing a lot of walks lately. If Pods sits down, Nix would be my leadoff guy due to his patience.

I like Getz's quick bat but this is one of our deeper positions and Nix playing everyday might just keep him in a groove. Lets hope it is short-lived issue for Getz. Lillilbridge is fast, that could be useful in some situations.

BadBobbyJenks
08-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Sweet now we have two people wasting a roster spot up here.

Rohan
08-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Sweet now we have two people wasting a roster spot up here.

Too bad we don't have any better...
Except that one of them doesn't really need to be up here because he's our 6th outfielder..

DickAllen72
08-13-2009, 06:28 PM
He's done fine at second and actually has a very good pivot move for turning DPs.
Nix is the best defensive second-baseman on the team. That's for sure. It is somewhat perplexing that he is so bad at SS, but at 2B he is a definite upgrade defensively over Getz
And you're correct about Nix as a pivot man. The Sox have a much better shot at turning a tough DP with Nix at 2B.

kittle42
08-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey, Wise haters, there's a worse player on the team now!

mcfish
08-13-2009, 11:15 PM

We're aware of that.Multiple people were bringing up how bad he is playing shortstop. I was reminding those people that he's not being asked to play shortstop when Getz goes on the DL.

Yes, moving a guy from a position he's bad at (SS) to a position he's not bad at (2B) magically makes him a better defender. He's been "God-awful" the last few weeks filling in for Alexi at Shortstop. Moving him to 2B, a position he's better at and more comfortable at, does cure that.

Lillian
08-15-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry to see Getz injured, but I must confess I'm pleased that Nix will finally get regular playing time at his normal position. I really like this guy.
To me he could provide great defense at 2B, with more upside offensive potential than Getz. But then I've been saying this all year. Now we'll see what he can do.

Tragg
08-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey, Wise haters, there's a worse player on the team now!

Lillibridge can field his position.
But the real difference is that the Sox need an infielder- an infielder goes on the DL, so you call another one up.
The Sox don't need the extra outfield position that Wise assumes.

Best that I can figure, Wise and his .240 obp is Ozzie's Jack Haley.

Hitmen77
08-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Getz starts swinging and throwing:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-22-white-sox-bits-chicago-aug22,0,7700108.story

russ99
08-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Getz starts swinging and throwing:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-22-white-sox-bits-chicago-aug22,0,7700108.story

Good deal. When's the 15 days up?

I think he brings much more to the lineup than Nix.

Brewski
08-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Good deal. When's the 15 days up?

I think he brings much more to the lineup than Nix.

You mean, that a .230 hitter with occasional power who can field his position is not a solid starter? Hard to believe.

voodoochile
08-23-2009, 12:22 PM
You mean, that a .230 hitter with occasional power who can field his position is not a solid starter? Hard to believe.

That's simply a massively ridiculous oversimplification.

Nix is a solid 2B.

He takes a lot of walks.

His OPS and slg are much better than Getz.

He has good speed and hasn't been caught stealing yet this year.