PDA

View Full Version : Former teammates of Alex Rios question his work ethic and desire

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I just read this on Mlbtraderumors.com. I've heard this before from some Bluejay fans as well. Is this any reason to be concerned?

kittle42
08-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Heart. Passion. Chicago Tough.

Produce and I don't give a ****.

Boondock Saint
08-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I'd question the desire to win of any player that chooses to play for the Blue Jays.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Ozzie will fix him. :redneck

russ99
08-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Best part about a new organization, you get clean sheet. Look at A.J., for an example of how that can work out.

But I also heard about Jays fans comparing him with Nick Swisher. I hope it doesn't come to that.

ndgt10
08-13-2009, 04:05 PM
think he is a little bit of an upgrade over swisher.

oeo
08-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Best part about a new organization, you get clean sheet. Look at A.J., for an example of how that can work out.

But I also heard about Jays fans comparing him with Nick Swisher. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Explain where the comparisons even begin.

soxyess
08-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Is this the mlbtraderumors where the owner is an admitted Cub fan and he's trying to dig up dirt on Rios?

getonbckthr
08-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Is this the mlbtraderumors where the owner is an admitted Cub fan and he's trying to dig up dirt on Rios?
MLBtraderumors has gotten alot better.

soxyess
08-13-2009, 04:21 PM

I read it too, but the guy is a Cub fan. He posted negative Peavy stuff when we signed Peavy, and he's doing the same with Rios.

bigdommer
08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
The Jays are a real class organization. Riccardi is the same guy who unsuccessfully tried to acquire Adam Dunn and then whined that Adam Dunn didn't like baseball.

There are several reasons for players to feel that way:
1) Rios was lucky and got the heck out of town and they are jealous.
2) Rios was making much more than most of those guys.
3) Rios was playing for a team and an organization that has shown absolutely no desire to win.

I believe that Rios is overpaid and I am somewhat worried that his contract (coupled with Peavy) could cripple the White Sox in 3/4 years. But it's ridiculous for one millionaire to criticize another millionaire's desire. I questioned Pods' desire when he got picked off last night. That doesn't make me right, but just another idiot.

oeo
08-13-2009, 04:30 PM

How many times does it have to be said that MLB Trade Rumors doesn't have their own news. The guy pulls stuff from major news outlets and posts it on his web site so you can get it in one spot. He links to the Jayson Stark article (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings090813) where there are quotes. It's a good site because everything is all there and you don't have to look it up yourself. The problem is that people consistently say the source is MLB Trade Rumors, which is not the case, ever.

Stoky44
08-13-2009, 04:32 PM
I read it too, but the guy is a Cub fan. He posted negative Peavy stuff when we signed Peavy, and he's doing the same with Rios.

If the guy was not a known Cub fan I don't think many would be saying this. He will occasionally post his opinions, but I think he is pretty fair. His opinions are really only seen during the chats.
Also the guy reporting the Rios stuff, is not even the owner of the site Tim, as he is out with a new baby. Plus he is just linking to another reputable sports writer.

I have to say I have really grown to like this site.

Stoky44
08-13-2009, 04:35 PM
How many times does it have to be said that MLB Trade Rumors doesn't have their own news. The guy pulls stuff from major news outlets and posts it on his web site so you can get it in one spot. It's a good site because everything is all there and you don't have to look it up yourself.

Totally agree, which is why I like the site a lot.

tstrike2000
08-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Explain where the comparisons even begin.

They both like to joke? The Swisher comparison doesn't make any sense.

Crestani
08-13-2009, 05:06 PM
I questioned Pods' desire when he got picked off last night. That doesn't make me right, but just another idiot.

That would make a lot of us idiots as several questioned what Pods was thinking last night!

I also think Cox was an Idiot for not telling Pods to stay closer to the bag.

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Ozzie will fix him. :redneck

No,Coop will fix him!!:D::D:

doublem23
08-13-2009, 06:14 PM
I also think Cox was an Idiot for not telling Pods to stay closer to the bag.

Pods was just taking his secondary lead. If you watch the replay, you see Cox screaming, "BACK! BACK!" as Beltre starts to come behind Pods, before he even turned to lunge back to the bag.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-13-2009, 06:14 PM
I'd feel pretty crappy too if I had to wear a Jays uni and play in the AL East....

tstrike2000
08-13-2009, 06:56 PM
No,Coop will fix him!!:D::D:

:tealtutor:

DirtySox
08-13-2009, 07:00 PM

MLBtraderumors has like 6 contributing writers now, and the one who posted a link to said story isn't even the Cubs fan you are talking about.

russ99
08-13-2009, 07:10 PM
They both like to joke? The Swisher comparison doesn't make any sense.

The way I heard Jays fans, the Swisher comparions were due to lackidasical attitude, personal stats over the team and level of play vs. potential especially considering their contract.

DickAllen72
08-13-2009, 07:20 PM
How many times does it have to be said that MLB Trade Rumors doesn't have their own news. The guy pulls stuff from major news outlets and posts it on his web site so you can get it in one spot. He links to the Jayson Stark article (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings090813) where there are quotes. It's a good site because everything is all there and you don't have to look it up yourself. The problem is that people consistently say the source is MLB Trade Rumors, which is not the case, ever.
I agree. So what if the guy who runs it is a Cubs fan? It's one of the best sites on the web to get all the latest rumors floating around all in one place.

Brian26
08-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I just read this on Mlbtraderumors.com.

Big surprise. Is the Flubbie-loving website trying to denounce another substantial Sox move? I've enjoyed their 180 on the Jake Peavy since last year's winter meetings.

Brian26
08-13-2009, 08:33 PM
MLBtraderumors has like 6 contributing writers now, and the one who posted a link to said story isn't even the Cubs fan you are talking about.

Everyone on that hack site is Flub-biased, including the owner who lives in his mom's basement across the street from the Yorktown Mall. Quit giving them more publicity than they deserve.

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Big surprise. Is the Flubbie-loving website trying to denounce another substantial Sox move? I've enjoyed their 180 on the Jake Peavy since last year's winter meetings.

It was something that somebody else had written. Mlbtraderumors doesn't come up with news, they just link you to places where the news was reported.

Brian26
08-13-2009, 08:38 PM
It was something that somebody else had written. Mlbtraderumors doesn't come up with news, they just link you to places where the news was reported.

There is a misconception as to what they do. Yes, they give you links to legitimate news sources, but they also craftily try to put their own journalistic spin on every story before providing those links. It was headline news when Peavy was singing "Go Cubs Go!" at last year's winter meetings, but in six months time, all of a sudden, Peavy was a bad deal for the White Sox. :rolleyes:

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2009, 08:41 PM
There is a misconception as to what they do. Yes, they give you links to legitimate news sources, but they also craftily try to put their own journalistic spin on every story before providing those links. It was headline news when Peavy was singing "Go Cubs Go!" at last year's winter meetings, but in six months time, all of a sudden, Peavy was a bad deal for the White Sox. :rolleyes:

I wasn't even aware the owner was a Cubs fan, till I just read it in this thread.

Brian26
08-13-2009, 08:43 PM
I wasn't even aware the owner was a Cubs fan, till I just read it in this thread.

Look up some of the posts over there from last winter with all of the Hendry ass-kissing over the Milton Bradley deal. Between that and the drooling over Peavy, it became comical pretty quickly.

oeo
08-14-2009, 12:11 PM

You don't have to read their opinions, you could just hit the link and read the actual article. The only misconception is that MLB Trade Rumors is considered a source. For example, the source to this story is Jayson Stark, not MLB Trade Rumors. MLBTR didn't do anything besides read the article and write a one sentence summary.

goon
08-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Who ****ing cares about what everyone feels about mlbtraderumors, the article they were quoting was here!:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings090813

BadBobbyJenks
08-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Another embarrassing showing by Sox fans being obsessed with the Cubs.

Is Jayson Stark a Cubs fan?

RowanDye
08-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Saw this awhile ago, hopefully linking to youtube is OK (?). I'm giving Alex a second chance and the benefit of a fresh start in Chicago, but this video does make me a bit concerned about his attitude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt9hRCthV8E

Warning: There is offensive language in the video!

TornLabrum
08-15-2009, 11:56 AM
I think that video shows more about obnoxious fans than it does about Alex Rios.

doublem23
08-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Another embarrassing showing by Sox fans being obsessed with the Cubs.

Is Jayson Stark a Cubs fan?

I'm sorry if you really like MLBTR, but pointing out the obvious Cubification of that site isn't being "Cubsessed," it's merely being observant. :dunno:

As for Rios, we've got a pretty solid track record here of helping guys turn the corner. When Jose Contreras was acquired in 2004, people in New York basically said the same thing about him; questionable work ethic, no killer instinct, bla bla bla. Less than a year after he arrived in Chicago, he became the most dominant pitcher in baseball. So, while I know Alex comes with some baggage, I'm willing to cut him some slack. Maybe he just didn't fit in Toronto any more. Maybe he'll fit better here, maybe he'll even become one of Ozzie's guys. He's obviously got all the talent in the world, hopefully this change of scenery will help him flourish.

october23sp
08-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Saw this awhile ago, hopefully linking to youtube is OK (?). I'm giving Alex a second chance and the benefit of a fresh start in Chicago, but this video does make me a bit concerned about his attitude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt9hRCthV8E

Warning: There is offensive language in the video!

That makes me somewhat happy about his attitude. He is pissed about having a ****ty game. Is he supposed to be happy after a bad game? Is he supposed to respond to the fan in a nice way? I'm sure Carlos isn't fun to be around after a ****ty game either. I know I'm not if I have a bad game in whatever sport I'm playing.

Rohan
08-15-2009, 12:57 PM
That makes me somewhat happy about his attitude. He is pissed about having a ****ty game. Is he supposed to be happy after a bad game? Is he supposed to respond to the fan in a nice way? I'm sure Carlos isn't fun to be around after a ****ty game either. I know I'm not if I have a bad game in whatever sport I'm playing.

Rios was leaving a charity event that was later in the day. The fact that earlier in the day he went 0-5 in a game probably played had no bearing on what happened.

Let's think this over. This was a late night charity event which Alex Rios was attending, maybe even by his own will. This heckler is waiting outside the charity event for Rios, and possibly other MLB players to come to their transportation. He's using little kids to walk up the players and ask for autographs so that he can probably turn around and sell them online.

If I were Rios, I wouldn't sign either.

Whitesoxfan23
08-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Rios was leaving a charity event that was later in the day. The fact that earlier in the day he went 0-5 in a game probably played had no bearing on what happened.

Let's think this over. This was a late night charity event which Alex Rios was attending, maybe even by his own will. This heckler is waiting outside the charity event for Rios, and possibly other MLB players to come to their transportation. He's using little kids to walk up the players and ask for autographs so that he can probably turn around and sell them online.

If I were Rios, I wouldn't sign either.

His agent was on The Score and he said what you just said. I don't blame Alex. Alex even later apologized for what happened. People try to bait celebrities into getting in trouble with the media all the time.

BadBobbyJenks
08-16-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm sorry if you really like MLBTR, but pointing out the obvious Cubification of that site isn't being "Cubsessed," it's merely being observant. :dunno:

Give me a break the story was from an ESPN columnist, the Cubifcation crying is just stupid.

doublem23
08-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Give me a break the story was from an ESPN columnist, the Cubifcation crying is just stupid.

They just don't post links, they also choose to frame them in a specific way (not to mention, pick and choose what they want to publish).

The guy who runs MLBTR is a Sox-cessed Cub fan. BFD, if you don't mind the obvious bias, then what do you care? If it bothers you, then just use Google News search, unbiased and 10x more through than your beloved Cub-centric blog.

:shrug:

BadBobbyJenks
08-16-2009, 12:51 PM
They just don't post links, they also choose to frame them in a specific way (not to mention, pick and choose what they want to publish).

The guy who runs MLBTR is a Sox-cessed Cub fan. BFD, if you don't mind the obvious bias, then what do you care? If it bothers you, then just use Google News search, unbiased and 10x more through than your beloved Cub-centric blog.

:shrug:

I like following the rumors during the deadline, but that is about it. People trying to discredit the story because the guy who runs the site is a Cubs fan are being really silly considering it was from an ESPN.com story.

KenBerryGrab
08-16-2009, 12:53 PM
All I care about is he get the best breaks of any outfielder we have had in a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

Madscout
08-16-2009, 01:56 PM
The way I heard Jays fans, the Swisher comparions were due to lackidasical attitude, personal stats over the team and level of play vs. potential especially considering their contract.
I wish Swisher had put some stats above the team. Was the guy batting his weight before the season ended?

Brian26
08-16-2009, 03:52 PM
I like following the rumors during the deadline, but that is about it. People trying to discredit the story because the guy who runs the site is a Cubs fan are being really silly considering it was from an ESPN.com story.

Not one person here has denied or discredited the ESPN story. You seem to have a reading comprehension problem.

BadBobbyJenks
08-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Not one person here has denied or discredited the ESPN story. You seem to have a reading comprehension problem.

No I am pretty sure my reading comprehension is up to par, but thanks buddy!