PDA

View Full Version : Pierzynski wants to stay

Stoky44
08-13-2009, 01:08 PM
First Dye, now AJ:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/08/pierzynski_wants_to_stay.html

Moses_Scurry
08-13-2009, 01:12 PM
It's interesting how everyone who is here wants to stay here. Makes you wonder how Ozzie was voted the worst manager to play for by the players.

Noneck
08-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Both Dye and AJ can stay. If they accept an offer the Sox want to give them. Its up to both of them. I don't think the Sox want to dump either of them.

Rockabilly
08-13-2009, 01:19 PM
I think AJ will be with the Sox for many years..

DirtySox
08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
I think AJ will be gone with Flowers waiting in the wings.

SoxGirl4Life
08-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I want AJ here for a long time.

LoveYourSuit
08-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I think Frank Thomas wanted to stay too.

Everyone wants to stay.

I think it comes a time where you have to start letting people go before they get too old and expensive.

I love Dye and AJ but if the young guys are these hot shots everyone thinks they will be, we have to give them a shot and worry about locking up the rest of our younger core (Quentin, Danks, etc).

october23sp
08-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I think AJ will be gone with Flowers waiting in the wings.

Dump a guy who is very good offensively?

DirtySox
08-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Dump a guy who is very good offensively?

Yes.

Flower's bat will play in the bigs. It will play great at catcher. Cheaper, younger, more potential, much more power, and great plate discipline. You don't keep around an aging and rather expensive veteran to block your top prospect for sentimental reasons.

mrfourni
08-13-2009, 01:32 PM
If I were AJ, I wouldn't want to go anywhere else either. The way the opposing fans treat him. I think the Cell is the only ballpark where he doesn't get booed anymore which makes no sense because he was pretty good for Minnesota for a while.

If AJ ended up with another AL Central team, I don't think he'd ever get booed when he returned to the Cell.

chisoxfanatic
08-13-2009, 01:33 PM
It's interesting how everyone who is here wants to stay here. Makes you wonder how Ozzie was voted the worst manager to play for by the players.
A player could not vote for their own manager. Most non-Sox players see Ozzie as an *******. I was not surprised Ozzie received such a low ranking.

I'd love AJ to stay here for the rest of his career. He is an ironman who knows the game of baseball more than anyone on the team.

kevingrt
08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I think AJ will be with the Sox for many years..

AJ will be here for a long while. Flowers isn't known as being the best defensive catcher in the minor leagues and you know the Sox brass want AJ to mold him into a good catcher. I really think AJ will be with this team until retirement then maybe he can take a coaching position with us.

SoxSpeed22
08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Flowers will probably be ready by next year, but I would rather keep AJ on to ease Flowers into it. There are many things that Tyler can learn from AJ. The most important one will be calling pitches. As long as AJ is willing to take on a reduced role, I would like to see him back.

hi im skot
08-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Flowers will probably be ready by next year, but I would rather keep AJ on to ease Flowers into it. There are many things that Tyler can learn from AJ. The most important one will be calling pitches. As long as AJ is willing to take on a reduced role, I would like to see him back.

From what I've heard, Flowers isn't on track to be a starter until 2011 at the very earliest.

DirtySox
08-13-2009, 01:39 PM
AJ will be here for a long while. Flowers isn't known as being the best defensive catcher in the minor leagues and you know the Sox brass want AJ to mold him into a good catcher. I really think AJ will be with this team until retirement then maybe he can take a coaching position with us.

Flowers isn't a defensive whiz, but the White Sox don't seem to care about that aspect of catching too much. He has improved much as a catcher and the general consensus is he will be adequate behind the plate.

For what it's worth, Flowers was voted as having the best plate discipline and as best defensive catcher in the Southern League.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/prospects/best-tools/2009/268703.html (Subscription required)

DirtySox
08-13-2009, 01:40 PM
From what I've heard, Flowers isn't on track to be a starter until 2011 at the very earliest.

I wouldn't be surprised with a callup sometime in 2010. He would be able to DH and play 1B as well if brought up.

LoveYourSuit
08-13-2009, 01:41 PM

When Flowers gets here, he will catch 75% of the games.

Not sure if AJ will be happy with a part time role nor can the Sox afford to pay $6 million to a part time catcher.

asindc
08-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Flowers isn't a defensive whiz, but the White Sox don't seem to care about that aspect of catching too much. He has improved much as a catcher and the general consensus is he will be adequate behind the plate.

For what it's worth, Flowers was voted as having the best plate discipline and as best defensive catcher in the Southern League.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/prospects/best-tools/2009/268703.html (Subscription required)

What gives you the impression that management does not care about defensive catching?

As for AJ, I think LYS is right: While I believe AJ really wants to stay, how happy will he be as a backup making less than $3 million a year, which I think is the limit on paying a backup catcher.

Madvora
08-13-2009, 01:56 PM
I was thinking that once AJ leaves (assuming he doesn't retire here,) Comiskey will be the only visiting ball park in baseball that doesn't boo him.

DirtySox
08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
What gives you the impression that management does not care about defensive catching?

As for AJ, I think LYS is right: While I believe AJ really wants to stay, how happy will he be as a backup making less than $3 million a year, which I think is the limit on paying a backup catcher.

It's not limited to just catching. The defense as a whole in the White Sox organization has been and still is subpar at many positions. I'd rather not derail this thread though.

gobears1987
08-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Yes.

Flower's bat will play in the bigs. It will play great at catcher. Cheaper, younger, more potential, much more power, and great plate discipline. You don't keep around an aging and rather expensive veteran to block your top prospect for sentimental reasons.
You realize that just because someone is a catch in the minors, it doesn't mean they have to play that position in the big leagues. I can give you one major example that is often forgotten. There is someone on our roster who we call Paulie. He was brought up as a catcher. I don't think he plays that position now.

You don't dump a .310 hitter just because we have a hot prospect. Given the way most of our prospects have developed, I wouldn't dump AJ until I see Flowers succeed in the majors.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-13-2009, 01:59 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If he truly wants to stay here then I hope the love of playing here will downplay how much of a pay cut he'll take. Personally I want him to stay as long as possible, in case you couldn't tell by my user name....

I can't name another person on the roster who has created more havoc (in a good way) for the Sox the past couple years. He has been a big difference maker. Like last season, we wouldn't have been able to play game 163 had he not fooled the umps in the Tampa Bay series. And even last night (an EXACT replay of the World Series) I for sure thought that he would score after reaching base on a strikeout that wasn't caught.

Why not keep him?

soxtalker
08-13-2009, 02:01 PM
How well does Flowers handle pitchers?

On the issue of trying to make a smooth transition with AJ ceding more and more time to Flowers, is AJ really into mentoring? IIRC, hasn't AJ been rather vocal over the past few years about playing time?

TheVulture
Yes.

AJ is not expensive for an 130+ game a year catcher at 6.25 m/yr. His knowledge behind the plate is irreplaceable and a huge asset to the team, while it is questionable whether Flowers has what it takes to be a major league catcher. If Flowers does make it as a catcher, it wouldn't hurt to have AJ around for a couple years to apprentice him and let him slide into the full time role over time anyway and both could work in some games at DH as well. I have no doubt AJ could also fill in at 1st with a little work as well, I imagine he could pick 'em out the dirt with the best of them. If we could have AJ around until '12 or '13, I think it would be ideal. It's nice to go young, but you still need some vets around, and AJ is the kind of player I want influencing the young guys to play to win.

Pear-Zin-Ski
I was thinking that once AJ leaves (assuming he doesn't retire here,) Comiskey will be the only visiting ball park in baseball that doesn't boo him.

Why boo? Am I totally out of line when I say AJ has been one of the smartest players in the game the past 4 or 5 years? Did he punch all of the fan's kids in left field...or is it just jealousy?

gobears1987
Isn't AJ supposed to be batting .220 this year and sub .200 next year? I swear I saw a graph on this site three years ago that told me that.:scratch:

TheVulture
08-13-2009, 02:03 PM
While I believe AJ really wants to stay, how happy will he be as a backup making less than $3 million a year, which I think is the limit on paying a backup catcher.

:scratch:There's no limit on backup catcher pay!! With Flowers making the minimum the 1st 3 years he's up, I have no problem with the sox paing 6.5/yr or so a year for their catching corp.

voodoochile
08-13-2009, 02:07 PM
AJ is already signed for 2010 and it looks like all of his bonuses will kick in. Past that, I think the Sox will wait to see how Flowers develops. If his catching skills improve I imagine AJ will have to move on or take a diminished role.

asindc
08-13-2009, 02:08 PM
It's not limited to just catching. The defense as a whole in the White Sox organization has been and still is subpar at many positions. I'd rather not derail this thread though.

I agree with the bolded 100%. I just don't get the impression that management does not place a priority on it.

Again, as for AJ, I see why he and the other veterans want to stay. They won a World Series here, which means more than it does most other places, and management has been rather fair in taking care of producing players in recent years.

UofCSoxFan
08-13-2009, 02:12 PM
If Dye and AJ both want to stay they can be here if they are willing to play for below market value. I can see AJ taking a hometown discount moreso just b/c I think there will be less a demand for him out there given how a lot of other teams and their fans view him.

voodoochile
08-13-2009, 02:12 PM
If Flowers can learn both C and 1B he might be up next year and play 1B a lot and move PK to DH. That would allow them to give Flowers AB against MLB pitching, let AJ tutor Flowers and not have the problem of using the backup catcher as DH and risking losing the DH if he has to move to catcher in the event of an in game injury.

g0g0
08-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Why wouldn't these guys want to stay with the aquisitions the Sox have done lately? I sure would!

kittle42
08-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Did he punch all of the fan's kids in left field...or is it just jealousy?

Is there a fan in left field with a lot of kids?

kittle42
08-13-2009, 02:19 PM
You don't dump a .310 hitter just because we have a hot prospect. Given the way most of our prospects have developed, I wouldn't dump AJ until I see Flowers succeed in the majors.

Don't be silly, gobears. Haven't you seen the multiple projected lineups on this site for 2010 and beyond which include all of our top minor league prospects? They are all guaranteed to flourish in the majors!

DirtySox
08-13-2009, 02:19 PM
You realize that just because someone is a catch in the minors, it doesn't mean they have to play that position in the big leagues. I can give you one major example that is often forgotten. There is someone on our roster who we call Paulie. He was brought up as a catcher. I don't think he plays that position now.

You do realize you don't shift a player with Tyler's bat off of a premium position like catcher unless it's apparent he can't handle it? Why is this point even brought up? Tyler could clearly play 1st or DH, and I imagine he will play those positions along with catcher sometime in the 2nd half of 2010 (and maybe as a September callup this year) so the organization can get a feel for what they have in him. He certainly won't be handed the 2011 catching job with no exposure/playing time in the majors.

KRS1
08-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Sure, why the heck not? Ease Flowers into a catching role and keep AJ to start 100 games a season at first. All I care is that Flowers is comfortable in his role and playing every day when we do decide to go that route. I don't however see much DH time next year unless we decide to ditch half of our middle lineup (both Dye and Thome), and I really don't see that as being prudent. That means Tyler would be fighting for PT with Paulie and Dye/Thome (maybe even CQ) in addition to AJ, which I don't see happening. Of course management could decide to make up for the payroll additions by subbing in him for the 10 or so million that was either of those two, but I'm not counting on it.

gobears1987
08-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Don't be silly, gobears. Haven't you seen the multiple projected lineups on this site for 2010 and beyond which include all of our top minor league prospects? They are all guaranteed to flourish in the majors!
You definitely make a great point there Kittle. It's funny how quickly people have forgotten Brian Anderson. We were so sure of his abilities to step up as a rookie that we traded Aaron Rowand after Anderson had nothing more than September call-up playing time. There is a reason Kenny didn't trade Crede prior to the 2008 season when many wanted him to hand the job to Fields. Kenny learned his lesson with Anderson that you can't just hand a position over to a rookie when you have an established veteran who gets the job done.

It doesn't hurt to hold a prospect down an extra year. The Phillies did that with Ryan Howard when they had Jim Thome as their first baseman. Howard was ready a year earlier than they called him up. If we have to hold Flowers down an extra year, that is fine with me. Gordon Beckham was the exception, not the rule when it comes to bringing a prospect up.

Rohan
08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
I want AJ here until he starts hitting below .260. I LOVE how he plays. And i love how he interacts with our players..

I read somewhere how AJ has become a sort of leadership figure for Gordon beckham. He's a very important aspect of this team, and I hope he stays around for years to come.

Madvora
08-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Why boo? Am I totally out of line when I say AJ has been one of the smartest players in the game the past 4 or 5 years? Did he punch all of the fan's kids in left field...or is it just jealousy?
I think he has created a legend about himself. People probably don't even know what they're booing at.

russ99
08-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I want AJ here until he starts hitting below .260. I LOVE how he plays. And i love how he interacts with our players..

I read somewhere how AJ has become a sort of leadership figure for Gordon beckham. He's a very important aspect of this team, and I hope he stays around for years to come.

I think Kenny is very aware at all the things A.J. brings to the table, especially with his handling of pitchers, and he should be a member of the Sox for a long time, as long as he can play at his expected level.

I wouldn't be surprised to see A.J. sign an extension, since it's still very much in doubt that Flowers can catch in the bigs, and the new Sox catcher/2nd round pick is a long way from pushing A.J.

That said, I'm a bit peeved at the "future" clarification going around the club, especially since the Rios deal. These guys need to shut up and play and the rest should take care of itself.

WhiteSox5187
08-13-2009, 04:00 PM
I'd love to see AJ finish his career here, however with Flowers seemingly ready in a few years, I hope that he would be willing to take a reduced role.

mcfish
08-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Given the way most of our prospects have developed, I wouldn't dump AJ until I see Flowers succeed in the majors.DING DING DING!!! There's quite a bit of expectations going on in this thread for a guy who hasn't seen a single pitch in the major leagues yet. Before we dump our proven offensive commodity MLB catcher, maybe we should make sure Flowers can actually play.

Goose
08-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Is there a fan in left field with a lot of kids?

Octomom has season tickets.

michned
08-14-2009, 02:49 AM
Isn't AJ supposed to be batting .220 this year and sub .200 next year? I swear I saw a graph on this site three years ago that told me that.

Yes, one of my all-time favorite WSI posts! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=975994&postcount=92)

Rohan
08-14-2009, 03:03 AM
Yes, one of my all-time favorite WSI posts! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=975994&postcount=92)

This is quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen...

gobears1987
08-14-2009, 10:00 AM
I can't believe that is 3 and a half years old. I think my response to reading that chart was to find a wall and repeatedly bang my head against it.

Oh and AJ is going to bat .170 next year :o:.

As great as that chart was, it still doesn't compare to the song he wrote for Miguel Olivo after we traded him for Freddy Garcia back in 2004.

kittle42
08-14-2009, 10:08 AM
HomeFish - always here for our amusement.

Daver
08-14-2009, 06:05 PM
I'd love to see AJ finish his career here, however with Flowers seemingly ready in a few years, I hope that he would be willing to take a reduced role.

Everyone I have talked tell me they highly doubt Tyler will wear the tools at the MLB level.

BadBobbyJenks
08-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Everyone I have talked tell me they highly doubt Tyler will wear the tools at the MLB level.

Could you expand? He wont catch at MLB level, but he will hit up here or what exactly?

KRS1
08-14-2009, 06:16 PM

Yet the managers in the Southern league voted him as the best defensive catcher there. I don't care what the circumstances are, their opinions of him are obviously pointing toward the fact that he can indeed catch. I think when we read all those scouting reports about him going into this season we also need to also take into account the fact that this will only be his second season catching full time.

thomas35forever
08-14-2009, 06:35 PM
I hope AJ finishes his career here. He's got all the makings to manage the Sox to the 2020 world title!

Tragg
08-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Why wouldn't AJ and Dye like it here and want to stay? The team contends, they won a WS here, seem to get along with teammates, first-rate city.

ajgirl
08-14-2009, 11:21 PM
I like how you think, thomas4ever! As many have said, AJ is the smartest catcher in the league. He calls a great game, he knows exactly what is going on at all times, plus he can hit and make things happen. That being said, I think he will be willing to negotiate his contract in order to stay here in Chicago, while mentoring Flowers (or whoever). He has already taken Beckham under his wing and his leadership is priceless. My hope would be that he will always be with the Sox in some sort of capacity, personally I think he would be an awsome color commentator.
Just my 2 cents.

Thatguyoverthere
08-15-2009, 01:09 AM
I can't believe that is 3 and a half years old. I think my response to reading that chart was to find a wall and repeatedly bang my head against it.

Oh and AJ is going to bat .170 next year :o:.

As great as that chart was, it still doesn't compare to the song he wrote for Miguel Olivo after we traded him for Freddy Garcia back in 2004.The best thing about that chart is that the two graphs are nothing alike. The first chart has several peaks and valleys, but somehow Homefish continues the chart with a line that slopes downward.

gobears1987
08-15-2009, 01:36 AM
The best thing about that chart is that the two graphs are nothing alike. The first chart has several peaks and valleys, but somehow Homefish continues the chart with a line that slopes downward.
Part of me still strongly believes that Homefish is someone's alternate account that is used to troll here. There is no way that guy can be real after the Miguel Olivo song and that chart? He even had his own thread back in 2005 for his Dark Cloud moments.

UChicagoHP
08-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Yet the managers in the Southern league voted him as the best defensive catcher there. I don't care what the circumstances are, their opinions of him are obviously pointing toward the fact that he can indeed catch. I think when we read all those scouting reports about him going into this season we also need to also take into account the fact that this will only be his second season catching full time.

Regardless, of whether he catches or not, it's fairly obvious, although time will certainly tell, that his bat will a plus at the MLB level. Bat-speed/control, and power is all there...we got a good one, and he will be ready for MLB pitching very shortly...