PDA

View Full Version : 15 years since The Strike

KenBerryGrab
08-13-2009, 11:50 AM
It was 15 years ago our first-place Sox saw the 1994 season end with them in first place of the brand spankin' new AL Central.

Franco hitting a ton behind Frank. A solid rotation. Pennant dreams.

All withered on the vine.....

For those who felt the pain, what are your memories?

VeeckAsInWreck
08-13-2009, 11:55 AM
I was about to enter my senior year of high school and I was working as an usher at Comiskey. Talk about the perfect summer job. I got to watch Sox games for free.

When the strike hit, it put me out of work for a few weeks before I had to start school again.

At the time I kept thinking they're bound to work this out. No way the cancel the World Series. And little did I know.

Man, I can't believe it's been 15 years already.

Moses_Scurry
08-13-2009, 12:06 PM
My dad bought tickets in April for a game in Camden Yards for a big driving vacation we were taking. It just so happened that the strike began on the exact day of that game :angry:. We ended up just walking around an empty Camden Yards just to see what the stadium was like. There were numerous other people doing the same thing. We did manage to see a game in Philly a couple days before the strike hit, though.

Zisk77
08-13-2009, 12:13 PM
I was living in Georgia at the time and had never been to a game at the new Comiskey park. My bro and I bought tickets for what would have been the first home sox game after the strike started ... road trip aborted:angry:

asindc
08-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Whatever ire I felt toward Uncle Jerry intensified because of this. The '94 team was the best I had seen in my lifetime (I've been rooting for the Sox since 1968). Like Ken said, Julio Franco was providing the perfect protection behind Frank, who was having a hall of fame season. The pitching staff was stellar. Frank, Ventura, One Dog, Black Jack, Fernandez, Hernandez, Alvarez were all in their primes. I felt it. Many other Sox fans did as well.

The only thing that tempered my bitterness about having that season abruptly end was... yep, you guessed it, the 2005 season. Without that, I would still be bitter about 94.

Related note: In 1993, I was dating someone who had enough connections to possibly get me an invite to the owner's box during the playoffs. In all seriousness (kinda juvenile on my part, looking back on it), I told my girlfriend that I would rather have tickets in the stands than have to shake Mr. Reinsdorf's hand if it came to that. Such was my disdain towards him as an owner.

KenBerryGrab
08-13-2009, 01:18 PM
One of my great memories was what a solid year Darrin Jackson was putting up.

After they had struck gold with a rehabbed Ellis Burks the year before, the Sox gave DJ the right field spot, and he responded with one of the best years of his career.

Woofer
08-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Me and my buddies were on a roadtrip to Saugherties, New York for the Woodstock 94 concert. I was really bummed about this, I was even more rabid about the Sox at the time than I am now. The strike was a slap in my face, it took until 1997 until I set foot in the park after this.

I really can't believe it's been 15 years, but my body does.

tacosalbarojas
08-13-2009, 01:39 PM
I was living in metro New York for the entire 1994 season. I returned to Chicago the day of what would be the last home game of the season. I had seen us beat the Yankees at the Stadium twice in May that year, once with Wilson winning without his best stuff. Went away from that game so impressed with how Wilson was growing up. Said after that can't wait to get home for the stretch run in August and September. And by the time I got home, there was no stretch run to view. God that sucked.

VenturaFan23
08-13-2009, 01:52 PM
I remember the Nike commercial with the guy playing pitcher and catching to himself in an empty stadium and at the bottom of the screen it said "please come back" or something along those lines.

areilly
08-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I remember the Nike commercial with the guy playing pitcher and catching to himself in an empty stadium and at the bottom of the screen it said "please come back" or something along those lines.

The actor was Ryan Stiles, later of The Drew Carey Show, shot putzing around at what looks like Cleveland Municipal Stadium. You can catch one of the other spots from that same campaign here:

http://ericking.tv/nike-radar/

Smokey Burg
08-13-2009, 02:28 PM
I am still mad at MLB. Before the strike, I was in a group that went in to about 3 games per month, split between Sox and cub games. Since then, 5 maybe 6 Sox games and only 2 to wrigley, I haven't been there since 1999. If it wasn't for the 2005 Sox, I probably would not pay any attention to MLB.

hi im skot
08-13-2009, 03:06 PM
The actor was Ryan Stiles, later of The Drew Carey Show, shot putzing around at what looks like Cleveland Municipal Stadium. You can catch one of the other spots from that same campaign here:

http://ericking.tv/nike-radar/

That looks like Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego.

gobears1987
08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I vaguely remember the strike. It's hard to believe how long ago it was and that I was only six when it started.

I definitely will always remember seeing the aftermath of it though as it greatly impacted the game for the next ten years. You can argue that it is still affecting the game today.

ChiSoxGirl
08-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I was 14 and remember it well. Since I was so young, I didn't go to many games at all- one if I was lucky- so the strike didn't impact me nearly the way it would now. However, since I didn't drive, watching TV and listening to games was a lot of what I did over summer vacation, so I found myself pretty bored for the last couple weeks before school started.

I remember the back page of the Sun-Times from August 14 like it was yesterday. It was a headstone that had a single stem red rose laying across it and the headstone read, Baseball- August 13, 1994-? Anyone else remember this?

voodoochile
08-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I vaguely remember the strike. It's hard to believe how long ago it was and that I was only six when it started.

I definitely will always remember seeing the aftermath of it though as it greatly impacted the game for the next ten years. You can argue that it is still affecting the game today.

Well Baseball is setting attendance and revenue records right and left, so whatever impact still exists seems to be negligible.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-13-2009, 03:37 PM

That strike is the reason The Nationals exist. Whereas Sox fans felt like the 1994 team was destined for greatness. So too were the Expos. If you look at their roster, they were a scary team. They had an outfield that featured Moises Alou, Marquis Grissom and Larry Walker in their prime.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I remember the back page of the Sun-Times from August 14 like it was yesterday. It was a headstone that had a single stem red rose laying across it and the headstone read, Baseball- August 13, 1994-? Anyone else remember this?

I totally remember that. Also, the Sun Times was simulating games. Here's one that they simulated for on August 13, 1994 (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-4242660.html).

tebman
08-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I was part of a group where I worked that shared in a four-seat season ticket package. We'd been doing that for a number of years, but after the '94 non-season the group came unraveled. We couldn't line up enough people to commit to enough games to do it again. Lots of bitterness.

I'm sure our story was repeated thousands of times for all teams that winter. I would not want to have been an MLB ticket rep in the offseason of '94-'95.

illini81887
08-13-2009, 05:01 PM
I was 6 going on 7 going into that summer. My dad bought tix for my birthday for mid-August. I was so sad when they went on strike

Would have been my first game ever.

Finally was able to go to a game in 1996

doublem23
08-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I was 10 turning 11 during that summer, and I thought the Sox were a shoe-in to at least win the American League (a bit more naive/less cynical in those days). I was devastated when the strike hit. I actually think we were in Cooperstown at the time.

BNLSox
08-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Well Baseball is setting attendance and revenue records right and left, so whatever impact still exists seems to be negligible.

It may be a bit of a thread hijack to comment on this, but had the player's union not stood its ground at that time, MLB would have had without a doubt a salary cap and Bud Selig likely would never have become the commish. Obviously speculation, but based on what happened in other sports with the power struggle between players and owners, there is a lot of evidence to support this thought.

Back to the purpose of the thread: 1994 was my first year in high school and I had decided to see as many baseball games and stadiums as I could that summer. I managed to get myself to at least half a dozen games at Comiskey and I was able to check out some stadiums I had never been to before including Fenway Park and Olympic Stadium (yep, I saw the Expos in person). Having watched the Expos completely annhilate the Padres, I wasn't confident that we'd be able to overcome them and thought we were likely to take the pennant but fall victim once again to a Canadian squad. As a kid obsessed with learning more about the game and reading box scores, I remember a very empty and sad feeling that lingered for about a year during and after the strike. Luckily, my memory did not go as far back and I did not realize the historic relevance of the '94 squad and was willing to forgive and forget... That was until the late 90's when I started to understand just how close we were in '94 and how damn far away it now seemed.

SoxFan64
08-13-2009, 05:56 PM
That killed my interest in baseball -- and the Sox until 2000. I had no interest in watching or seeing games. To think of 1994 and what could have been I have a pit in the bottom of my stomach.

I thought the Sox had it bad and then I found this article from the KC Star (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/1380112.html)that points out the shortcomings of the Royals and I almost feel better about our team.

I also think the unnamed AL GM is our own GM.

kruzer31
08-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I remember Frank Thomas just tearin it up, Bo Jackson hitting a bomb in Anaheim, think he had 16 HRs when the strike hit. I remember how solid we were all around and Julio Franco was a mad man driving in runs with his opposite field smashes. I remember the blue ball park of Comiskey and Alex Fernandez just dominating....but what I remember most when I look back is everyone says 94 was our year to win it all but those young and upcoming Cleveland Indians who went to the World Series in 95 were just 1 game in back of us when the Strike hit. Would we have held them off?
We will never know

JEFF

VeeckAsInWreck
08-13-2009, 09:09 PM
I remember Frank Thomas just tearin it up, Bo Jackson hitting a bomb in Anaheim, think he had 16 HRs when the strike hit. I remember how solid we were all around and Julio Franco was a mad man driving in runs with his opposite field smashes. I remember the blue ball park of Comiskey and Alex Fernandez just dominating....but what I remember most when I look back is everyone says 94 was our year to win it all but those young and upcoming Cleveland Indians who went to the World Series in 95 were just 1 game in back of us when the Strike hit. Would we have held them off?
We will never know

JEFF

Bo wasn't with us in '94. Unless you meant that while playing with the Angels Bo hit a bomb.

DumpJerry
08-13-2009, 09:09 PM
My dad bought tickets in April for a game in Camden Yards for a big driving vacation we were taking. It just so happened that the strike began on the exact day of that game :angry:. We ended up just walking around an empty Camden Yards just to see what the stadium was like. There were numerous other people doing the same thing. We did manage to see a game in Philly a couple days before the strike hit, though.
Nope. On the first day of the strike, the Sox were to play the Twins at Comiskey. I remember it well because I took one of the tests required to pass the bar at IIT that day. My plan was to take the exam, kill a few hours and then wander over to the park to see the Good Guys.

I still have the 1994 magnet schedule on my fridge. We shoulda won the World Series that year.

Sigh.:angry:

eastchicagosoxfan
08-13-2009, 09:36 PM
I went to the last game of the season. Against the A's, I think. The Sox won. I never thought the season would end that day. I remember the Ken Burns documentary came out that fall, or was it in the spring of 1995? Regardless, it served as a baseball fix.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-13-2009, 09:38 PM
I went to the last game of the season. Against the A's, I think. The Sox won. I never thought the season would end that day. I remember the Ken Burns documentary came out that fall, or was it in the spring of 1995? Regardless, it served as a baseball fix.

It came out that fall. I enjoyed it but it hurt. It was like finding pictures of an ex girlfriend only to discover that you still have feelings for her.

mccombe_35
08-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Being at the game when Franco & Ventura went back to back. twice. April 24th. Was sitting in the 2nd row out in RF. 2 of those 4 HRs were pretty close to us.

The longest HR of the day was an opposite field HR by Cecil. at least 20 rows deep into RC

Orta 4-6-3
08-14-2009, 11:11 AM
The impending inevitability of the strike cast a pall over the season (for me, anyway) from the beginning, so I could never really enjoy it, even though that was the best Sox team I've ever seen in my 41 years of following the team.

The rest of the 90's was rough; it took the 2000 season to get my Sox fandom to my pre-strike level. And to this day, even though I follow the Sox as closely as I ever did, I don't follow baseball overall nearly as much as I did before 1994. Arrogance and greed did what two world wars and a great depression could not --- cancel the World Series. I forgive, but I don't forget.

C-Dawg
08-14-2009, 12:07 PM
I went to the last game of the season. Against the A's, I think. The Sox won. I never thought the season would end that day.

I was at the last home game... I'd long supressed the memory and actually had to look it up on baseball reference.com. Against the Mariners, on Sunday July 31. The game had a double sadness; I went with one of my very best friends who passed away the next summer. That game was the last of many games we attended in both ballparks.

I also remember being pressed for time before the game due to having to buy a tire beforehand, on a Sunday morning.

gobears1987
08-14-2009, 12:31 PM
I still have the 1994 magnet schedule on my fridge. We shoulda won the World Series that year.

Sigh.:angry:
How can you keep that on your fridge? Why would you torture yourself with it? I would've burned it after the 2005 WS as a way of letting go, but that's just me.

jdm2662
08-14-2009, 01:11 PM
I was going into my senior year of high school. That era was probably the time of my life where I was into sports the most. I was so mad, baseball didn't even exist for me as a sport for years. I completely shut it out of my life. I didn't read, watch, etc. anything. When the Bulls ended at the end of June, no sports existed until training camp started for football. If it weren't for the 2000 White Sox, lord knows if I would've gotten back into baseball. I did start watching a little in 1999, but I was hardly a huge fan.

I still haven't fully forgave them, and probably never will. If they ever pull that **** again, you can probably say good bye to me as a fan.

soxrme
08-14-2009, 01:15 PM
In my opinion the best team we ever had. JR and Selig cost us a legit chance at the world series. It would have been a great series between us and the Expos. Their fans also felt robbed by the strike.

35th&Shields
08-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Me and my buddies were on a roadtrip to Saugherties, New York for the Woodstock 94 concert. I was really bummed about this, I was even more rabid about the Sox at the time than I am now. The strike was a slap in my face, it took until 1997 until I set foot in the park after this.

I was 100% convinced the Sox were going to the World Series. It took me until 2000 to really re-engage in the Sox again because I (fairly or unfairly) put a lot of the blame on the strike with Reinsdorf.

Irishsox1
08-14-2009, 03:29 PM
I went to the Sunday August 7th game in Anaheim, 3 games before the strike. The Sox won 10 to 5 scoring 5 in the top of the 12th. At the time, there was talk of the strike happening but I always thought they would get it settled, or if they went on strike, it would only be for a week and the season would continue. As we all know, they didn't come back and there was no playoffs. It didn't bother me that much at the time, it wasn't until 1995 to like 1998 that with each year passing and the Sox started to suck that I realized what a great oppurtunity the '94 Sox had.

After the strike, I didn't come away pissed at the owners, I came away pissed at the players union and I'm still upset at the players union. What good came from striking during the season?, let the season finish and then walk out. Not only did the players union cancel the playoffs, they fought to not have drug testing when they came back and look what mess that created.

UChicagoHP
08-14-2009, 04:12 PM
I went to the Sunday August 7th game in Anaheim, 3 games before the strike. The Sox won 10 to 5 scoring 5 in the top of the 12th. At the time, there was talk of the strike happening but I always thought they would get it settled, or if they went on strike, it would only be for a week and the season would continue. As we all know, they didn't come back and there was no playoffs. It didn't bother me that much at the time, it wasn't until 1995 to like 1998 that with each year passing and the Sox started to suck that I realized what a great oppurtunity the '94 Sox had.

After the strike, I didn't come away pissed at the owners, I came away pissed at the players union and I'm still upset at the players union. What good came from striking during the season?, let the season finish and then walk out. Not only did the players union cancel the playoffs, they fought to not have drug testing when they came back and look what mess that created.

Agreed, and the MLBPA is still the biggest problem in today's MLB...screw the union

DumpJerry
08-14-2009, 05:15 PM
In my opinion the best team we ever had. JR and Selig cost us a legit chance at the world series. It would have been a great series between us and the Expos. Their fans also felt robbed by the strike.
If the '94 World Series was White Sox/Expos, the Nats would not exist today. It would have saved MLB baseball in Montreal.

kruzer31
08-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Bo wasn't with us in '94. Unless you meant that while playing with the Angels Bo hit a bomb.

My bad, I believe that bomb was in 93 then. Sorry

asindc
08-14-2009, 05:31 PM

I don't know if you realize that the owners proposed a salary cap but refused to allow the union to review the teams' financial records? In other words, the owners said that they could not keep paying players at the then-current rate of increase, but you will just have to trust us when we say that.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-14-2009, 05:49 PM
I was 100% convinced the Sox were going to the World Series. It took me until 2000 to really re-engage in the Sox again because I (fairly or unfairly) put a lot of the blame on the strike with Reinsdorf.

+1 - then add the White Flag trade to this, and it was really tough to become a regular attendee at Sox games.

I had a pair of ST in the UD (sec 518) with my brother from the day Commie II opened until the strike. We cut back to a 4 some following the strike. When the White Flag trade happened, my brother and I walked from the tickets.

Hitmen77
08-14-2009, 08:31 PM
The Sox were definitely one of the teams hurt most (attendance wise) by the strike. The white flag trade 3yrs later was the double whammy.

Funny that I hardly ever heard of Cub fans who turned away from baseball after the strike. Part of that must be be because their team wasn't a pennant contender when the plug was pulled on the 94 season. Also perhaps because many of them care more about Wrigley than the integrity of the game. Regardless, the Sox fans boycotting game while Cub fans did not really shot ourselves in the foot as fans. The Cubs further strengthened their stranglehold on the Chicago market while the media ripped on Sox fan "apathy".

Chez
08-14-2009, 08:59 PM
A long series of disappointments. I never thought they would strike. When they did, I never thought it would last more than a day or two (both sides had too much to lose). When it did, I never thought they would cancel the post season . . .

As others have mentioned, the '94 Sox team was really strong. But I recall we were wobbling at the time the strike hit and only a half game in front of the Tribe. It was by no means a given that we would get to the playoffs, much less win the World Series.

My most vivid memory of that season was Julio Franco. Other than Dick Allen in 1972, I've never seen a Sox player hit as many vicious line drives as Franco did in '94. When the strike hit, he went to play in Japan.

PKalltheway
08-14-2009, 09:05 PM
I was a month away from turning six when the strike hit. Oddly enough, some of my first memories of MLB were of the strike.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-14-2009, 09:10 PM
My most vivid memory of that season was Julio Franco. Other than Dick Allen in 1972, I've never seen a Sox player hit as many vicious line drives as Franco did in '94. When the strike hit, he went to play in Japan.

Franco had only 20 HR's but had 98 RBI's already. It seemed like he was always driving in runs.

I was hoping he'd be back for the '95 season but nope. Instead he came back in '96 but as a Cleveland Indian.

The other thing that helped add insult to injury was losing two bullpen arms to the Indians (Dennis Cook and Paul Assenmacher)

As many have said, if it wasn't for 2005. I'd still be angry about it.

PKalltheway
08-15-2009, 01:10 PM
That strike is the reason The Nationals exist. Whereas Sox fans felt like the 1994 team was destined for greatness. So too were the Expos. If you look at their roster, they were a scary team. They had an outfield that featured Moises Alou, Marquis Grissom and Larry Walker in their prime.
It's crazy that two of the Expos' best seasons came during strke years (1981 and 1994).