PDA

View Full Version : 8/12 Games

KyWhiSoxFan
08-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Charlotte 6, Pawtucket 2 (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_08_12_pawaaa_chraaa_1)
Whisler (W, 8-10), 8IP 3H, 2ER, 3BB, 2K
Fields, 3-4, 2 2B, RBI
Lillibridge, 2-5, SB (17)
Negron, 4-5, 2B, RBI

Birmingham 9, Carolina 1 (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_08_12_biraax_cmcaax_1)
Viciedo, 3-5, 2B, 3R
Gallagher, 3-4, 2B, HR, 5RBI
Long (W, 4-3), 6IP, 6H, 0R, BB, 5K

Wilmington 5, Winston-Salem 1 (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_08_12_wswafa_wilafa_1), Game 1

Wilmington 1, Winston-Salem 0 (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_08_12_wswafa_wilafa_2), Game 2
Axelrod (L, 0-1), 5.1IP, 4H, R

Kannapolis does not play

Casper 8, Great Falls 7 (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2009_08_12_grfrok_casrok_1&t=g_box&did=milb)

Johnson City 9, Bristol 4 (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_08_12_brirok_jcyrok_1)

jabrch
08-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Viciedo's slow start was predictable. But the past 2-3 months we have seen why the Sox went after him. Still no idea where he will play, but at some point in time soon he will get his shot.

Does anything think he could be here next year? Is his D anywhere close to acceptable at 3B yet?

UofCSoxFan
08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Viciedo's slow start was predictable. But the past 2-3 months we have seen why the Sox went after him. Still no idea where he will play, but at some point in time soon he will get his shot.

Does anything think he could be here next year? Is his D anywhere close to acceptable at 3B yet?

I was just going to point out that he has been on an extended tear of late. It would be good if he could stay at third since I would like to move Beckham out of there (not that he's been bad but it allows to just get on more big stick in the lineup). He also could be a possibility at 1B.

It's nice to see Fields have a good game in AAA too.

Craig Grebeck
08-13-2009, 10:42 AM

I'd say it's highly doubtful. He'll probably spend the first few months of next season in Birmingham as well. Still has way, way too many weaknesses to be in the major leagues before 2011.

LoveYourSuit
08-13-2009, 11:30 AM

It would be interesting to see if the Sox go Carlos Lee on him Winter Ball and Spring training and tell him to start working in LF or RF.

If he can hit, they will find a place for him and cut their loses with the aging Thome/Dye.

voodoochile
08-13-2009, 11:45 AM
It would be interesting to see if the Sox go Carlos Lee on him Winter Ball and Spring training and tell him to start working in LF or RF.

If he can hit, they will find a place for him and cut their loses with the aging Thome/Dye.

He's swinging the bat well, but his pitch selection seems to still be lacking. He's not walking at all and still K's at a fairly high rate. Maybe like Alexei he can make that work for him, but he's so young there's no reason to rush him.

35th and Shields
08-13-2009, 12:02 PM
He's swinging the bat well, but his pitch selection seems to still be lacking. He's not walking at all and still K's at a fairly high rate. Maybe like Alexei he can make that work for him, but he's so young there's no reason to rush him.

I agree, leave him down at AA. He's still young for AA ball so even if we leave him down there all of next year would still have him ahead of schedule.

No reason in the world to rush this kid.

LoveYourSuit
08-13-2009, 12:14 PM

Yeah, I will be honest and say I have only seen about 2-3 minor league ABs on video for him. So maybe you guys know better.

I just think the Sox would prefer his $2-3 million salary per year needs to start paying off at the big level sooner than later. Danks and Flowers still don't have their service clock running. I'm assuming the clock is already ticking for Viciedo because he's part of the 40 man roster and also signed as a foreign player. We only signed him for 4 years and then I assume he's a FA.

I would love to pick Kenny's brain on what the plan is for this kid assuming the contract status and when he can become a FA.

Carolina Kenny
08-13-2009, 12:15 PM
"No reason in the world to rush this kid."

"I want the world, and I want it, NOW.
Love, Jim M.

DirtySox
08-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I will be honest and say I have only seen about 2-3 minor league ABs on video for him. So maybe you guys know better.

I just think the Sox would prefer his $2-3 million salary per year needs to start paying off at the big level sooner than later. Danks and Flowers still don't have their service clock running. I'm assuming the clock is already ticking for Viciedo because he's part of the 40 man roster and also signed as a foreign player. We only signed him for 4 years and then I assume he's a FA.

I would love to pick Kenny's brain on what the plan is for this kid assuming the contract status and when he can become a FA.

Answered a long-standing question about the contracts of Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo. Yes, both are under White Sox control for six years like any other drafted player. That makes it a helluva lot easier to be patient with Viciedo.

^^^^

oeo
08-13-2009, 12:30 PM

Actually, half of his contract was paid off this year, as $4 million of the $10 million was a bonus. This is the year we've paid the most for him ($4 million bonus + $1 million for the year). He receives only $1.25 million in each of the next two years and $2.5 million in 2012.

voodoochile
08-13-2009, 12:31 PM
"No reason in the world to rush this kid."

"I want the world, and I want it, NOW.
Love, Jim M.

If they rush him it might lead to blood on the streets because you know... people are strange... ultimately when the music is over they'll turn out the lights and that will of course be... the end... My beautiful friend... the end...

LoveYourSuit
08-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Actually, half of his contract was paid off this year, as $4 million of the $10 million was a bonus. This is the year we've paid the most for him ($4 million bonus + $1 million for the year). He receives only $1.25 million in each of the next two years and $2.5 million in 2012.

OK, so on a per year basis the rest of the way is not too bad.

How does the service time work for foreign players and FA?

If it's 6 years as the other poster mentioned, then we will be fine because we would get 2 years of development and then 4 years of actual ML service time. If he works out pretty well in those 2 seasons we have him signed for, a good chance the Sox might skip those 2 years of arbitration and sign him to a long term deal.

I was concerned because I thought that it was 4 years and then poof he was done ...FA.

cws05champ
08-13-2009, 01:36 PM
OK, so on a per year basis the rest of the way is not too bad.

How does the service time work for foreign players and FA?

If it's 6 years as the other poster mentioned, then we will be fine because we would get 2 years of development and then 4 years of actual ML service time. If he works out pretty well in those 2 seasons we have him signed for, a good chance the Sox might skip those 2 years of arbitration and sign him to a long term deal.

I was concerned because I thought that it was 4 years and then poof he was done ...FA.
Even after his 4 year contract he has two years of arbitration, same as Alexei.

Viciedo since the All-star break .348/.383/.528 for a .911 OPS. 4 HR's in 98 AB's.

tm1119
08-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I understand not wanting to rush him, but also there is no reason to baby him either. Hes been playing against some pretty tough competition since he was 16 in Cuba, so its not like hes never been tested before. If he stays on this hot streak, then you bring him into Spring Training next year and as long as he shows continued progress then you start him off in AAA. I dont see any reason for him to not be able to get some playing time in the big leagues next season. The fact that he is hitting for average is a big plus, its only a matter of time before his power kicks in.

cws05champ
08-13-2009, 02:31 PM
I understand not wanting to rush him, but also there is no reason to baby him either. Hes been playing against some pretty tough competition since he was 16 in Cuba, so its not like hes never been tested before. If he stays on this hot streak, then you bring him into Spring Training next year and as long as he shows continued progress then you start him off in AAA. I dont see any reason for him to not be able to get some playing time in the big leagues next season. The fact that he is hitting for average is a big plus, its only a matter of time before his power kicks in.
His power, however, is his ticket to the big leagues. I think the Sox will be really disappointed if he doesn't display 20+ HR power within his 4 yr contract....even if he is hitting over .300.

jabrch
08-13-2009, 10:16 PM

Assuming you haven't been watching his ABs - correct me if I am wrong.

How do you know anything about his pitch selection?

Craig Grebeck
08-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Assuming you haven't been watching his ABs - correct me if I am wrong.

How do you know anything about his pitch selection?
Poor K/BB ratio.

voodoochile
08-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Poor K/BB ratio.yep

jabrch
08-14-2009, 11:28 PM
yep

K/BB does not define pitch selection. Pitch selection is an input metric. K/BB is a result that isn't directly related to pitch selection. He could be selecting good pitches, and have a hole in his swing. He could be seeing a lot of strikes knowing this. He's a 20 year old. It may be a lot of things causing Ks to be high or causing BB to be low.

voodoochile
08-15-2009, 12:19 AM
K/BB does not define pitch selection. Pitch selection is an input metric. K/BB is a result that isn't directly related to pitch selection. He could be selecting good pitches, and have a hole in his swing. He could be seeing a lot of strikes knowing this. He's a 20 year old. It may be a lot of things causing Ks to be high or causing BB to be low.

My apologies for using an inaccurate term. I guess my point was that there is something that clearly needs to be fixed before he starts facing the nastiest breaking **** in the world...

jabrch
08-15-2009, 01:40 AM
My apologies for using an inaccurate term. I guess my point was that there is something that clearly needs to be fixed before he starts facing the nastiest breaking **** in the world...

I completely agree, by the way, that he has lots of room to grow as a hitter. Higher OBP would be lovely. More walks, fewer outs...sure - we all get it. But I don't know if his problem is pitch selection or if his problem is that he doesn't make enough contact. I just haven't seen him enough to say.