PDA

View Full Version : New batting helmet getting mixed reviews from players

Fenway
08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Rawlings says the new helmet will protect up to 100 mph while the helmets being used now protect to about 70

But some players don't like the look or feel

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/13/sports/baseball/13helmet.html?_r=1&ref=sports

mrfourni
08-12-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't understand the player's who are complaining about the way it looks. To me, it doesn't look that much different from the new helmets players are wearing today.

What good is a helmet in the major leagues that only protects against a 70 mph pitch?

october23sp
08-12-2009, 06:38 PM
The two-tone look is crap. Just make it a solid color and it will be fine.

WhiteSox5187
08-13-2009, 01:22 AM
If I'm a player I don't give a damn if it feels bulky, if this means that my head is safe from an errant fastball thrown at 90+ I'd grab it in a heartbeat. It looks awful, but it doesn't look any worse than those cool flo helmets that guys like AJ wear. At least ours aren't two tone like the Mets or Rockies.

Fenway
08-13-2009, 01:53 AM
There are 2 sounds at a baseball park I never want to hear again.

The sound of baseball hitting flesh is awful and right behind it is a ball hitting a helmet. You can be 400 feet from the plate and hear both clear as a bell.

I just wish there was a way to protect pitchers better as sooner or later a pitcher will be killed by a line drive.

doublem23
08-13-2009, 02:13 AM
I just wish there was a way to protect pitchers better as sooner or later a pitcher will be killed by a line drive.

Nobody forces these guys to play the game. They're there on their own accord and if you can't deal with the miniscule odds of even being hit, then baseball may not be the career choice for you. Even the worst paid MLB players lead a life far more comfortable than most of us.

TheVulture
08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
What good is a helmet in the major leagues that only protects against a 70 mph pitch?

That just means it can sustain a direct hit up to 70 mph without damage to the helmet, but they are still offering protection. Anyone hit in the head by a major league pitcher without one of those would either be dead or in serious condition with skull fractures. Besides, 99% of the time, a hit to the helmet is going to be a glancing blow.

gobears1987
08-13-2009, 02:17 PM
What player wouldn't want to wear a helmet that could save their life? I just don't get it.

eriqjaffe
08-13-2009, 02:22 PM
It all has to do with what the player's comfortable with. If the player perceives it as too big or bulky, it may throw them off at the plate. Probably the same reason why Quentin doesn't wear an elbow guard up there.

doublem23
08-13-2009, 04:49 PM
What player wouldn't want to wear a helmet that could save their life? I just don't get it.

Yeah, all those MLB players getting killed at the plate over the years... It's tragic.

Baseball, especially hitting, is a game of split-second movement and skill. Anything that throws that off, no matter how trivial, is certainly a valid criticism.

35th and Shields
08-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Jeez, David Wright just got hit by Cain right on his helmet. Says he's got a concussion.

Especially weird as he was just talking about these new helmets.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Jeez, David Wright just got hit by Cain right on his helmet. Says he's got a concussion.

Especially weird as he was just talking about these new helmets.

The players who didn't like the new helmets may want to reconsider when they see the video. (http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200908156112563&c_id=nym)

gobears1987
08-17-2009, 01:44 PM
The players who didn't like the new helmets may want to reconsider when they see the video. (http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200908156112563&c_id=nym)
There have been several such incidents this year. If I were a player, I'd wear the new helmet.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-17-2009, 01:48 PM
There have been several such incidents this year. If I were a player, I'd wear the new helmet.

The new helmets could look like this and I'd wear it if it meant extra protection.

http://www.cormac.info/d/269-1/fionn-silly-hat.jpg

Big D
08-18-2009, 06:12 AM
It all has to do with what the player's comfortable with. If the player perceives it as too big or bulky, it may throw them off at the plate. Probably the same reason why Quentin doesn't wear an elbow guard up there.

Yeah, Adrian Beltre didn't feel comfortable wearing a cup either. Somehow I doubt he's feeling very comfortable right now, though.

Fenway
08-19-2009, 10:28 AM
NY Times does a follow-up after the Wright scare

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/sports/19vecsey.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Dibbs
08-19-2009, 10:39 AM

I will take that chance is some team will pay me millions per year.

downstairs
08-19-2009, 10:53 AM
When millions of dollars are on the line, players don't like change- even if it protects their lives. It happened in hockey. It happened big-time in NASCAR. Guy was killed, they finally got some top-notch safety devices, and EVERYONE complained. And they all *saw* a guy die one year earlier!