PDA

View Full Version : New Everyday Lineup?

voodoochile
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Seems like we've got a bit of a overabundance of talent at the moment.

How do the Sox deal with this issue?

Does Ozzie start a rotating lineup based on which hand the pitcher throws with? Does Dye sit against RHP?

RHP Lineup:

Pods CF
Beckham 3B
Thome DH
PK 1B
AJ C
TCQ LF
Rios RF
TCM SS
Getz 2B

LHP lineup:

Rios CF
Beckham 3B
Dye RF
Thome DH
PK 1B
TCQ LF
AJ C
TCM SS
Nix 2B

People are going to be getting plenty of time off the last 7 weeks of the season...

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-12-2009, 05:35 PM
I'd bench Thome vs. LHP. He seems to struggle against them.

getonbckthr
08-12-2009, 05:38 PM
I think its gonna be at least 1 day off a week for Quentin, Dye, Thome and Pods. Rios will be out there almost everyday. Rios will only leadoff when Pods is out of the lineup.

Craig Grebeck
08-12-2009, 05:48 PM
I'd bench Thome vs. LHP. He seems to struggle against them.
And yet, he's got an ~.850 OPS against them. I'd say he seems to hold his own.

BadBobbyJenks
08-12-2009, 05:55 PM
I would be shocked if Dye was taken out of the every day lineup.

Jjav829
08-12-2009, 06:09 PM
You're not gonna set a set lineup. It's never been Ozzie's style and with an extra man each day, that won't change.

You have basically five guys (Dye, Pods, Quentin, Rios and Thome) for four spots. So they each figure to get a game off a week. Someone will likely sit twice and they'll probably be based on who is the hottest, who is feeling the best, matchups, etc.

hoosiersoxfan
08-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Seems like a good problem to have to me. Also will provide a solid bat to go with Kotsay on the bench each game for pinch hitting purposes.

soxfanreggie
08-12-2009, 11:22 PM
I think it should depend on who's playing the best. Pods does have value on the bench as a PR, depending on how Rios does from the leadoff. That's not to say we should bench Pods, but he does carry value from that position. The other guys are going to be "feared" bats off the bench.

balke
08-13-2009, 12:54 AM
I expect to see at least 5 lineups mixed around. I wouldn't be surprised if it is different just about everyday. The players are really interchangeable now, and I think it'll come down to who's hot and who has the better matchup.

beasly213
08-13-2009, 08:26 AM
I would like to avoid Pods in CF whenever possible.

soxrme
08-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Put Rios in center and leave him. Platoon the other guys

voodoochile
08-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Put Rios in center and leave him. Platoon the other guys

That either forces Quentin to play RF at times (something he may do next year, but I can understand why the team doesn't want to do it this year) or it forces two of Pods/TCQ/Dye to sit on the bench and Kotsay or Wise into the lineup. It also forces TCQ/Pods into an everyday platoon. Given how TCQ has been heating up and how Pods has been a driving force on offense since returning to the leadoff slot, I for one think it's a bad idea.

hawkjt
08-13-2009, 11:22 AM
I agree.
When Pods sits vs tough leftys...Rios to center,JD in right.
When Carlos or JD sit vs tough rightys, Pods to left, Kotsay to right..rios in center...mix and match with Rios playing center/right,and Pods playing center/left...whoever is hot...play them cus we need offense now.