PDA

View Full Version : Guillen Warned

Marqhead
08-12-2009, 04:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4394383

I was certain he would be fined. I'm sure the fines and suspensions will be hefty if any actions are ever taken.

asindc
08-12-2009, 04:22 PM
I wonder what happens now if one of our guys gets plunked. Will an ump have enough courage to toss the pitcher, even if it is the first move?

Marqhead
08-12-2009, 04:26 PM
I wonder what happens now if one of our guys gets plunked. Will an ump have enough courage to toss the pitcher, even if it is the first move?

Well, yesterday Beckham was hit and Dye was brushed back but there was no retaliation. In my opinion, neither of these instances were on purpose, but Guillen stated he didn't care if they were intentional or not. It is most likely just posturing, but if it happens against a Central team there will probably be payback.

KenBerryGrab
08-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Well, yesterday Beckham was hit and Dye was brushed back but there was no retaliation. In my opinion, neither of these instances were on purpose, but Guillen stated he didn't care if they were intentional or not. It is most likely just posturing, but if it happens against a Central team there will probably be payback.

Did you see Ozzie chirping at the pitcher after the Dye pitch?

That was great.

WhiteSoxFTW
08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
MLB knows this stuff goes on and is part of baseball...they just don't want coaches talking about it so glaringly. As the story says, they don't want discussion on the subject "in that manner".

Goose
08-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Did you see Ozzie chirping at the pitcher after the Dye pitch?

That was great.

If I read his lips correctly, he called him a mother****er. My question is, why chirp about it? Just have a sack and have a pitcher through at the player that you want to be thrown at. See, I like what Detroit did yesterday. No bull**** talk, just action. That is the way it should be. I can respect that.

KenBerryGrab
08-12-2009, 05:13 PM
If I read his lips correctly, he called him a mother****er. My question is, why chirp about it? Just have a sack and have a pitcher through at the player that you want to be thrown at. See, I like what Detroit did yesterday. No bull**** talk, just action. That is the way it should be. I can respect that.

And Porcello misses a turn on suspension. The Sox are short enough on pitchers as is.

Goose
08-12-2009, 05:30 PM
And Porcello misses a turn on suspension. The Sox are short enough on pitchers as is.

And the team feels unified by the the pitchers have the batters' backs. Builds chemistry. Builds unity.

BTW. It will probably not be a 5 game suspension, so you can time it correctly with appeals that he will not miss any games. I say throw at 'em.

MarkZ35
08-12-2009, 05:34 PM
BTW. It will probably not be a 5 game suspension, so you can time it correctly with appeals that he will not miss any games. I say throw at 'em.
I believe a lot of the time when a starting pitcher has a suspension they suspend them long enough so they are missed in the rotation once.

Goose
08-12-2009, 05:42 PM
I believe a lot of the time when a starting pitcher has a suspension they suspend them long enough so they are missed in the rotation once.

Is that true? I dont have stats to back that up, but if Porcello gets a 8 game suspension would the one charging the mound (the one that essentially caused the whole problem) get more? Or would they, as a field plaer get 4 games? Done not seem right to me. You have to hand out suspensions evenhandedly. Youk would get a heavier fine and Porcello get a similar or lesser fine.

soxinem1
08-12-2009, 05:44 PM
MLB knows this stuff goes on and is part of baseball...they just don't want coaches talking about it so glaringly. As the story says, they don't want discussion on the subject "in that manner".

I agree, the umps do know what is going on for the most part, but they are way too quick a lot of times when they throw up the warnings.

Guillen was a total dumbass for making the announcement, as this takes away his own pitchers ability to pitch inside. And if they get just a hair too close, teams can rightfully claim the White Sox are throwing at them, because the manager said they will retaliate whether they judge the HBP to be intentional or not.

Tell it to the players, not the press! Hasn't he learned yet?

Goose
08-12-2009, 05:48 PM
^^ Agreed.

asindc
08-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I agree, the umps do know what is going on for the most part, but they are way too quick a lot of times when they throw up the warnings.

Guillen was a total dumbass for making the announcement, as this takes away his own pitchers ability to pitch inside. And if they get just a hair too close, teams can rightfully claim the White Sox are throwing at them, because the manager said they will retaliate whether they judge the HBP to be intentional or not.

Tell it to the players, not the press! Hasn't he learned yet?

Or the Sox pitchers could just throw inside first before the opposing team does. No retaliation there.

JC456
08-12-2009, 05:51 PM
And then blow the game because the pitcher is ejected.
Great strategy!
Talk about it all you want OZZie

Zisk77
08-12-2009, 05:55 PM

Its called gamesmanship. That pitcher was asked about the situation by the media before the game so now he is aware of it. He is in a groove and then he nearly hits Dye. So ozzie barks at him. Maybe Fister lets it get to him and we get a rally...unfortunately it didn't. Ozzie new it was unintentional.

asindc
08-12-2009, 05:57 PM
And then blow the game because the pitcher is ejected.
Great strategy!
Talk about it all you want OZZie

Excellent point. Detroit lost its game doing this, and probably a start from someone in their rotation. The Sox won its game not doing this in large part because the pitcher went eight innings.

malbert346
08-12-2009, 06:18 PM
And the team feels unified by the the pitchers have the batters' backs. Builds chemistry. Builds unity.

I know I'm fighting a losing battle here, but this is the exact same argument that is thrown out there about fighting in hockey. Fighting in sports DOES NOT unify a team, build chemistry, or make you better at said sport. If fighting made you better, then you would see it ALL of the time. If you want to build chemistry, then it would behoove you to win LOTS of games over and over again. That seems much more effective in terms of standings and trophies.

gobears1987
08-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Excellent point. Detroit lost its game doing this, and probably a start from someone in their rotation. The Sox won its game not doing this in large part because the pitcher went eight innings.
and because AAArdsma is who we thought he is.

cue: Dennis Green:redneck

Taliesinrk
08-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Fighting in sports DOES NOT unify a team, build chemistry, or make you better at said sport.

You've clearly never had a fight/altercation help unify a team for which you played. Just because you haven't been there, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

malbert346
08-12-2009, 07:57 PM
You've clearly never had a fight/altercation help unify a team for which you played. Just because you haven't been there, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I wasn't born when the moon landing occurred. Does that mean it didn't happen also?

And if fighting does unify a team, why don't more teams fight? Seems like logic would dictate that you punch an opposing player every game if fighting has such a positive effect.

thedudeabides
08-12-2009, 09:09 PM
According to Cowley's twitter; Ozzie has not been warned, or heard from MLB.

As usual, take it for what it's worth coming from Joe.

MarkZ35
08-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Is that true? I dont have stats to back that up, but if Porcello gets a 8 game suspension would the one charging the mound (the one that essentially caused the whole problem) get more? Or would they, as a field plaer get 4 games? Done not seem right to me. You have to hand out suspensions evenhandedly. Youk would get a heavier fine and Porcello get a similar or lesser fine.
I think they both have gotten 5 games which I think is fair. Youkilis was in the wrong but there was a good reason.