PDA

View Full Version : Rios will bat leadoff

Rockabilly
08-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Aganist certain pitchers according to Ozzie

love to see Rios bat lead off. think its a great idea

VeeckAsInWreck
08-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I actually suggested that yesterday, and some people didn't think it would happen.

Rios has more speed than Swisher and we had him bat there last year.

Rockabilly
08-12-2009, 12:51 PM
I actually suggested that yesterday, and some people didn't think it would happen.

Rios has more speed than Swisher and we had him bat there last year.

With Rios leading off followed by Beckham & Quentin.. I can see the Sox scoring many 1st inning runs..

Eddo144
08-12-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm lukewarm to this idea; even in his best years, Rios has not been a high on-base guy, so leading him off isn't ideal.

However, the options are limited when Podsednik sits. Beckham's probably the best choice, but I imagine the Sox don't want to put too much pressure on him, and that still leaves the second slot open.

If Rios gets hot, and Dye stays cool, I wouldn't mind seeing Rios bat third. (This sentence is also true if you replace all instances of "Rios" with "Quentin".)

Rockabilly
08-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Ozzie also mentioned that Nix will also bat lead off at times..

VeeckAsInWreck
08-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Ozzie also mentioned that Nix will also bat lead off at times..

I can only hope that means that Nix will be the DH. He's a butcher in the field.

jabrch
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't buy into lineup contstruction too much.

cards press box
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I can only hope that means that Nix will be the DH. He's a butcher in the field.

Nix is not a shortstop, that's true, but he plays 2B very well. Nix has good range for a 2B, has a strong arm and turns the double play quite well. He's just not a shortstop.

Zisk77
08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Rios did bat leadoff in toronto some a few years back.

DirtySox
08-12-2009, 01:03 PM

Nix is a butcher at SS.

Not long ago everyone was raving about his defense and how he should get more playing time.

gobears1987
08-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Nix's D is mixed. He's terrible at fielding balls, but he's great at turning DPs. Either way, his ability to field is bad enough that I'd rather not see him out there.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Nix is not a shortstop, that's true, but he plays 2B very well. Nix has good range for a 2B, has a strong arm and turns the double play quite well. He's just not a shortstop.

True. I think we all tend to forget that Nix is not a SS.

thedudeabides
08-12-2009, 02:08 PM
The way Gordon is getting on base, I would love to see him leadoff until his power develops. Put Rios or Alexei in the two spot on days when Pods is out of the lineup.

jabrch
08-12-2009, 02:16 PM
The way Gordon is getting on base, I would love to see him leadoff until his power develops. Put Rios or Alexei in the two spot on days when Pods is out of the lineup.

I'd rather see him hit #2, have better protection, and have a leadoff hitter in front of him who gets on base and can run so he sees more fastballs.

thedudeabides
08-12-2009, 02:18 PM
I'd rather see him hit #2, have better protection, and have a leadoff hitter in front of him who gets on base and can run so he sees more fastballs.

When Pods isn't playing we don't have that guy.

Lillian
08-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Do those of you who categorically state that Nix is a horrible fielder have anything to substantiate such remarks? I've watched the same games that you have, and while he admittedly had a rough patch of muffed plays, he was very good earlier when playing second and third.

His reputation is that he is an outstanding fielder. Wasn't it Carney Lansford who is quoted as having said; "Nix was the best fielding second baseman he had ever seen"?

VeeckAsInWreck
08-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Do those of you who categorically state that Nix is a horrible fielder have anything to substantiate such remarks? I've watched the same games that you have, and while he admittedly had a rough patch of muffed plays, he was very good earlier when playing second and third.

His reputation is that he is an outstanding fielder. Wasn't it Carney Lansford who is quoted as having said; "Nix was the best fielding second baseman he had ever seen"?

It's at SS where he is a butcher, I would say his .906 fielding percentage there would show you. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nixja01.shtml) I don't have a problem with him playing 2B.

jabrch
08-12-2009, 03:11 PM
When Pods isn't playing we don't have that guy.

What's wrong with Rios?

LoveYourSuit
08-12-2009, 03:15 PM

Good post.

Gordon has lead off tools right now. I want him to hit 3rd come next season, but right now he would be very solid leading off.

Gordon
Alexei
Dye
Thome
Quentin
Paulie
AJ
Rios
Getz

This, when Pods sits.

BadBobbyJenks
08-12-2009, 03:18 PM
With the addition of Rios, you could almost pull names out of a hat and I would not complain too much.

That said I vote for Rios, Beckham etc.

thedudeabides
08-12-2009, 03:37 PM
What's wrong with Rios?

I don't have a big problem with it, but getting on base isn't really one of his big strengths. Beckham is getting on base better than anyone on the team lately, and having Rios or Alexei behind him I think would benefit those hitters more.

TheVulture
08-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't have a big problem with it, but getting on base isn't really one of his big strengths. Beckham is getting on base better than anyone on the team lately, and having Rios or Alexei behind him I think would benefit those hitters more.

Thome has a better OBP, perhaps he should lead off.

mccoydp
08-12-2009, 04:02 PM
It's at SS where he is a butcher, I would say his .906 fielding percentage there would show you. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nixja01.shtml) I don't have a problem with him playing 2B.

I'm about to ask an ignorant question, but I'm only ignorant because I never played baseball. Is SS a more difficult position to play than 2B? If so, why? I'm just curious. Please don't beat me down!

hawkjt
08-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Pods will sit when we face a tough lefty I presume. Getz will also.
So Nix will be in,and I like him leading off.
He does a good job drawing walks.
He is a good base-stealer.
Wish he hit for higher average, but if he stays patient ,he can get on for Gordo,Rios,Carlos ect..

PalehosePlanet
08-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm about to ask an ignorant question, but I'm only ignorant because I never played baseball. Is SS a more difficult position to play than 2B? If so, why? I'm just curious. Please don't beat me down!

More balls are hit to SS than any other position in the field (many more right handed hitters in MLB.) Thus you need to have much better range than at 2B. Also you need a better/stronger arm as the throws are longer to 1B.

thedudeabides
08-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Thome has a better OBP, perhaps he should lead off.

Did I ever make this point? Or the point that OBP is all that matters?

Thanks for bringing something constructive to the discussion. :rolleyes:

mccoydp
08-12-2009, 05:31 PM
More balls are hit to SS than any other position in the field (many more right handed hitters in MLB.) Thus you need to have much better range than at 2B. Also you need a better/stronger arm as the throws are longer to 1B.

Thanks! I guess I could have used some common sense to figure it out, but I was devoid of it at the moment I wrote my post.

thomas35forever
08-12-2009, 05:59 PM
A lead-off man needs to be a threat to steal everytime he gets on base. Rios is quick, but not a true lead-off guy. However, I'm not opposed to the idea. Still, I think Pods should stay where he belongs.

Rockabilly
08-12-2009, 06:02 PM
A lead-off man needs to be a threat to steal everytime he gets on base. Rios is quick, but not a true lead-off guy. However, I'm not opposed to the idea. Still, I think Pods should stay where he belongs.

Jeter does a pretty damn good job in NY leading off..

Eddo144
08-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Wrong. A leadoff hitter's job is to get on base for the big hitters behind him. Speed is an added bonus, though steals are more important in front of weak hitters, who are less likely to get extra-base hits than the two-three-four-five hitters.

Tragg
08-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Wrong. A leadoff hitter's job is to get on base for the big hitters behind him. Speed is an added bonus, though steals are more important in front of weak hitters, who are less likely to get extra-base hits than the two-three-four-five hitters.
I agree.

I hope Rios plays pretty much every day - he'll improve the D, and give Dye, Pods and TCQ all time off, all of whom could use it.
We will always have a good bench bat, too.