PDA

View Full Version : What good luck have you brought our team?

Coolpapa
08-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Most of us have superstitions when it comes to our beloved White Sox. What have you done over the years to swing momentum our way? My best was, coincidentally, my daughter being born on opening day 2005.

Zisk77
08-12-2009, 07:29 AM
I spike the opposing clubhouses gator aid with estrogen & laxatives...shhhhhh!

Taliesinrk
08-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Last night in the post game thread I kept saying "one time ____" to whichever Sox player was at-bat... all night.

Well I got pissed because it wasn't working (obviously), so finally for Ramirez, I thought I'd mix it up and say one time twice... "One time Alexei"... "one time".

Next pitch: Yard.

You are all welcome. Donations can be made to my e-mail address linked with my WSI account.

WhiteSox1989
08-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Buehrle had a perfect game because I refused to get up and go pee.

SoxFan78
08-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Decided to take the plunge and purchase a weekend season ticket plan in December 2004. We all know the story after that...

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-12-2009, 08:16 AM
I wished Mark Buerhle well after our shared plane ride back from Detroit after the All Star game. It was THOSE good words that helped the WS hang onto 1st place through the 2nd half of 2005.

Either that, or I caused the backwards slide.....:scratch: :smile:

SoxGirl4Life
08-12-2009, 08:21 AM
We won the World Series because I went against everything I've ever been taught and felt and crossed the threshold of Wrigley Field in July of 2005. I crossed myself, and asked my Dad for forgiveness from heaven, but I think that my total selfless act of extending an olive branch across the city sealed our championship karma in October.

aryzner
08-12-2009, 08:42 AM
It really seems like more often than not, when I don't watch a game, they do better.

Woofer
08-12-2009, 08:44 AM
I've brought my son to 3 opening days so far. (He turns 8 in Sept) He has gone to the 2005, 2008, and 2009 opening days, so we will see if we can keep his streak going.

Taliesinrk
08-12-2009, 08:49 AM
I've brought my son to 3 opening days so far. (He turns 8 in Sept) He has gone to the 2005, 2008, and 2009 opening days, so we will see if we can keep his streak going.

I like it! Talk to us in October to get credit where it's due. However, if come October... and I won't even speak the words... WSI may not be the happiest of places, and I wouldn't try to use it as credit for '05 and '08 for fear of serious backlash and possible threats from certain gamethread posters.

GoGoCrede
08-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Last season, Thome hit a home run at every single game I attended. And they never lost when I wore my AJ shirt. Not that I believe all this stuff, mind you. :cool:

MARTINMVP
08-12-2009, 09:06 AM
I will forever hate the gold Sox jacket Ozzie wore in the only game they lost in the 2005 post season (game one vs. Anaheim?). I don't remember him wearing that jacket the following game, so whenever I see a Sox fan wear that jacket, I have to remind them of that.

PatK
08-12-2009, 09:32 AM
The Sox are undefeated when I wear my gray Sox hat and my Sneax shoes to the games.

kittle42
08-12-2009, 09:34 AM
I know this thread is all in good fun, and I used to believe little things I did helped/hurt when I was a kid, but does anyone actually still think anything they do has some cosmic repercussions on a team's performance? Superstitions are silly.

voodoochile
08-12-2009, 10:08 AM
There is some comedy gold in this thread...

I tried to give up my hat routine this year. For years I've always kept a Sox hat or hats near me during games with their front facing the TV/computer so they can "watch" the game too. During crucial moments I'll touch the hats for luck.

I'd stopped doing it. Last night in the 8th, I went ahead and got the hats out. Then in the 9th, I turned off the browser and closed the lid on my laptop which I had been using to follow WSI and check game stats on the box score. I claimed it was so I could focus all my energy on the game, but really I was just getting ready to get up quickly after the final out, I was pretty ticked. Then PK missed that dinger and I started to laugh and the tension flowed out of me. Shortly thereafter we scored, so to sum it up...

Hats for touching, not for wearing.
No Computer
Let the negative vibes go...

There ya go. You're welcome...

slavko
08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Every time I've worn Sox gear outside the house this year (I don't often) they've started a winning streak. I did yesterday. I did before the Yankees series.

Taliesinrk
08-12-2009, 10:29 AM
There is some comedy gold in this thread...

I tried to give up my hat routine this year. For years I've always kept a Sox hat or hats near me during games with their front facing the TV/computer so they can "watch" the game too. During crucial moments I'll touch the hats for luck.

I'd stopped doing it. Last night in the 8th, I went ahead and got the hats out. Then in the 9th, I turned off the browser and closed the lid on my laptop which I had been using to follow WSI and check game stats on the box score. I claimed it was so I could focus all my energy on the game, but really I was just getting ready to get up quickly after the final out, I was pretty ticked. Then PK missed that dinger and I started to laugh and the tension flowed out of me. Shortly thereafter we scored, so to sum it up...

Hats for touching, not for wearing.
No Computer
Let the negative vibes go...

There ya go. You're welcome...

Hilarious. I thought you were going to rip us apart after your first line, but then I read on to see that you've topped all of us.

I also have this knocking-on-wood process I have to go through if someone jinxes the game/player/situation... typically by their comments. It's too hard to explain here but it depends on if it's a Sox player involved, what defensive position they play, their number, and possible recent/season performance. Let's just say that I make my wife knock on wood and subsequently "wipe it off" or adjust her procedure if she messes it up... she thinks I'm looney, but still does it if I yell loudly enough (<-- half-teal... only about the yelling part though).

It's become a lot less necessary since DJ left the booth. Let me tell ya, that guy is like the king of jinxing things. Seriously, a guy could have played 10 years in the league w/o hitting a HR. The Sox'd be up by 1 in the bottom of the 9th and DJ would say something like, "Well partner, it's pretty much impossible he goes yard here because he hasn't hit the warning track on the fly since high school." I swear, more times than not, that game would be tied on a bomb. He does however make driving my car a bit more tricky when the games are on. It's not easy to do all the knocking while changing lanes.

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Decided to take the plunge and purchase a weekend season ticket plan in December 2004. We all know the story after that...
I purchased a season ticket plan as well then. But, I ALSO moved to the Bridgeport neighborhood in December 2004 and have lived there ever since. So, I firmly believe that the Sox won the World Series because I moved to the neighborhood. :smile:

I also did not wash my authentic Paul Konerko jersey once during the month of October in 2005. That thing definitely needed a washing, which I finally did after attending the World Series Championship parade. It still has a small beer stain in one of the sleeves.

mantis1212
08-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I did not show up to any playoff games in 2005, after I went to 15 games during the regular season and they went 2-13 in those games- no joke.

What are the odds of that? They won 99 games that year for crying out loud!

Woofer
08-12-2009, 11:00 AM
I like it! Talk to us in October to get credit where it's due. However, if come October... and I won't even speak the words... WSI may not be the happiest of places, and I wouldn't try to use it as credit for '05 and '08 for fear of serious backlash and possible threats from certain gamethread posters.

The Sox clinched in 05 on my sons birthday, last year they beat Detroit on the makeup game to force game 163 with Minnesota. I tried to talk him out of going to the opener this year, (had to take him out of school for the day) and his defense was, "I have to go, I'm good luck!" Kind of funny, but until the streak gets broken, he's going to opening day.

Madvora
08-12-2009, 11:34 AM
I turned off the air conditioner in my living room last night as I prepared to go to bed. I thought I'd wait until the game was officially over, but I figured that they hadn't been hitting well and I needed to change something. Right after that Alexei hit the home run.

Zisk77
08-12-2009, 11:38 AM
my white german shepherd pup was in my lap when the Cuban missle launcehed...the pups name: Alexei...I win. :cool:

voodoochile
08-12-2009, 11:38 AM
I turned off the air conditioner in my living room last night as I prepared to go to bed. I thought I'd wait until the game was officially over, but I figured that they haven't been hitting well and I needed to change something. Right after that Alexei hit the home run.

That's right, put in the work. Suffer with the team. Comfort is for losers and crybabies. Another good one is to skip water on game days because of course...

Water is for cowards. Water makes you weak. Water is for washing blood off that uniform and you don't get no blood on your uniform, boy you must be outside your mind! When you feel the urge to drink water you should do up-downs, until you are no longer tired, and thirsty.

KenBerryGrab
08-12-2009, 11:49 AM
My then 5-year-old's first opening day was in 2005.

I broke him out of kindergarten to view the first ALDS game against Boston.

I let him stay up to see the "dropped-third" ALCS game.

His mom let him stay up to see Game 1 of the World Series (which Dad attended).

SoxSpeed22
08-12-2009, 11:49 AM
I could probably write 10 pages worth of sports superstitions that I use. They range from the clothes that I wear, things I eat, musics that go through my head relative to whether the Sox are on offense or defense, where I am in my apartment, all sorts of things.
This sums things up pretty well.
6iFyZtCdRT0

Madvora
08-12-2009, 12:15 PM
During the 90's the success of the team depended on when my mom entered and exited our living room. If they were rallying and she was in the bathroom, we wouldn't let her come out. If they were rallying and she was in the living room, we wouldn't let her leave.

voodoochile
08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
During the 90's the success of the team depended on when my mom entered and exited our living room. If they were rallying and she was in the bathroom, we wouldn't let her come out. If they were rallying and she was in the living room, we wouldn't let her leave.
I can picture your mom sitting on the toilet praying the Sox wouldn't hit a home run...:tongue:

jdm2662
08-12-2009, 12:37 PM
One constant thing I've done is not to record games. So, I missed games 1 and 3 of the ALDS and most of game 2. Teams I root for tend to lose games I record.

whitem0nkey
08-12-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't have any superstitions, don't believe in cures, don't do the rally cap, I talk about No-Nos during the games while they are happening......

its quite silly and egotistical to think you have so much power that you can effect the game.

but what has helped the sox the most is the money I spent on going to games. and not booing our players as soon as they have 2 bad games.

voodoochile
08-12-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't have any superstitions, don't believe in cures, don't do the rally cap, I talk about No-Nos during the games while they are happening......

its quite silly and egotistical to think you have so much power that you can effect the game.

but what has helped the sox the most is the money I spent on going to games. and not booing our players as soon as they have 2 bad games.

I doubt many people actually take their superstitious ritual seriously. I know that I don't. It's not for the team, it's for me when I do something silly like tap a cap or whatever.

kittle42
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I doubt many people actually take their superstitious ritual seriously. I know that I don't. It's not for the team, it's for me when I do something silly like tap a cap or whatever.

I don't know, man - I think plenty of people really believe in jinxes and whatnot.

voodoochile
08-12-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't know, man - I think plenty of people really believe in jinxes and whatnot.
Well I agree that's silly...

tacosalbarojas
08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Small pepsi's that I buy at the park tend to have a miraculous ability to wake up our offense in the late innings when we're down.

Madvora
08-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I can picture your mom sitting on the toilet praying the Sox wouldn't hit a home run...:tongue:
Please don't picture my mom on the toilet.

voodoochile
08-12-2009, 01:17 PM

Sorry, I realized it might be taken that way. Since I have no idea what she looks like anyway, it's just an expression. My apologies...:redface:

Madvora
08-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Sorry, I realized it might be taken that way. Since I have no idea what she looks like anyway, it's just an expression. My apologies...:redface:
I know, I know.

SoxGirl4Life
08-12-2009, 01:28 PM
I think these are HILARIOUS! Anyone who can't see them for what they are is taking this thread too seriously :tongue:

Because if me going to Wrigley Field is the one thing that guaranteed a White Sox World Series Championship, I would go to the Shrine every day. However, I haven't been there SINCE 2005, so who knows?!?

Chrisaway
08-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Literally 97% of the time that I see Beckham bat on TV at work, he gets a hit (mostly doubles).

Woofer
08-12-2009, 02:48 PM

Knock, knock, knock. Can I please come out now? No Mom, Big Frank is coming up!

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-12-2009, 03:21 PM

:kneeslap:

Madscout
08-12-2009, 04:03 PM
In '05, I bought a hat at the beginning of the year (nike, adjustable with "WHITE SOX" on the back and the logo on the front). I had that hat all they way through the run, and half way thru '06. I lost it, in the middle of '06, and bought a throw back hat that I ditched at the end of '07 for a new era hat, which I hated because I couldn't bend the front right. I was just in CO, and went to a lids store and found a hat just like the one I had in '05, so I figure we will win it this year. (BTW, got it just after the allstar break, so you can follow the progress.

PalehosePlanet
08-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I never do Pick-to-Click, since this guarantees a 4 or 5 sized collar for my hitter or a 4th inning exit for the pitcher.

Back in 2001 I jinxed about 20 players in about 20 consecutive games. That was the end of that.

voodoochile
08-12-2009, 04:35 PM
I never do Pick-to-Click, since this guarantees a 4 or 5 sized collar for my hitter or a 4th inning exit for the pitcher.

Back in 2001 I jinxed about 20 players in about 20 consecutive games. That was the end of that.

I stopped playing PTC because whenever I won, the team lost. This didn't matter if I played for real or just thought of a player when Hawk mentioned it. Finally I came to a decision - Frank Thomas was my permanent PTC and that snapped the string. Since he left, I haven't played at all...

KRS1
08-12-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm not a superstitious person, but at least this thread was good for a laugh. I do however, believe betting for any of my teams is bad juju.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Well, on January 1st, 2005 I said they'd win it all, but no one in my family believed me...

As for this year, I wear the same thing to every game: Sox hat, Carlos Quentin home jersey w/ All-Star Game patch, Metallica t-shirt under the jersey (for Konerko and Thome), and my Nike air 360 shoes, which I have seen Dotel wear, lol. Sad, I know, but they're on a 4 game win streak win I'm in attendance, lol.

thomas35forever
08-12-2009, 05:11 PM
During part of the '05 playoff run, I listened to this one Tito Puente song, thinking it could be some sort of rally number.

During the last Saturday regular season home game in '05, I brought my first Sox cap to the park. It worked.

esbrechtel
08-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I will wear the same jersey and shorts/jeans to the game until they lose when I am wearing it.

Madvora
08-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Seriously that was what it was like. The whole family would be like... NO!!! Don't come out yet!!!
As crazy as it sounds we would literally make her leave the living room if she got that far. Sometimes she'd just go into the kitchen until Thigpen or somebody started giving up runs, then we'd rush her back in quickly.

rookie
08-12-2009, 11:47 PM
The Sox clinched in 05 on my sons birthday, last year they beat Detroit on the makeup game to force game 163 with Minnesota. I tried to talk him out of going to the opener this year, (had to take him out of school for the day) and his defense was, "I have to go, I'm good luck!" Kind of funny, but until the streak gets broken, he's going to opening day.

This has got to be the cutest story ever. Your son is right, he is good luck. Just make sure his teacher is a White Sox fan, and he'll be okay.

During the playoff run, I wore my Sox bracelet every game except for one. The one game I didn't wear it, they lost.

kaufsox
08-13-2009, 09:33 AM
I tend to wear a sox hat out during the season and after every loss I change my hat: today, 1959.

Vestigio
08-13-2009, 10:33 AM
I normally wear my Sox hat, with the World Series patch on the side, and my ALC champs underneath my jersey. On hotter days, I normally wear my crummier Sox hat.

I still have the 2005 pocket schedule in my wallet. I guess I still have it just for good luck.

The first and only time I ever placed money on a team to win a championship was the 2005 White Sox.

Woofer
08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
This has got to be the cutest story ever. Your son is right, he is good luck. Just make sure his teacher is a White Sox fan, and he'll be okay.

During the playoff run, I wore my Sox bracelet every game except for one. The one game I didn't wear it, they lost.

In 08, he was in kindergarden. His teacher knew that we are a big Sox family. My wife called him off as sick for opening day. The next day his teacher asked him if he was really sick, or did he go to opening day. Busted. She was nice about it though.:smile:

october23sp
08-18-2009, 01:41 PM
In 2005 the song Baba O'reilly by The Who was playing as I watched MLB gameday when Crede hit the homer against the Indians. That's been my rally song since. Sometimes works.

I have a very old football shirt that I wear during big games, they are 9-0 when I wear it. 2005: ALDS Games 1 & 3, ALCS games 2 & 4, WS games 2, 3, & 4. Tigers game last year. Blackout game last year.

ChiSoxGirl
08-18-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't bring ANY good luck to the Sox team... all you have to do is look at my TBGR record over the last couple years! :o: Even when I switch games with someone the Sox lose!!!!

mrwaffle
08-18-2009, 04:59 PM
The Sox have gone 26-1, at games I have attended since joining WSI, including a 19 game win streak. So anytime anyone wants to give me free tickets I will be happy to oblige.:D:

EastCoastSoxFan
08-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I was 5-0 at Sox games in '05: 2-0 at Cle, 1-0 at NY, 1-0 at Balt, 1-0 at home. My brother joked during the playoffs that he might have to fly me out to Chicago and get me tickets to each playoff game.
Fortunately it didn't turn out to be necessary...