PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey JR talks about his time with the Sox

Rockabilly
08-12-2009, 01:20 AM
I got this from another website but it shows how Jr is such a real class act and a true HOF.. He's my fav player of all time

Griffey: "I had the best experience playing baseball with the White Sox for two months, better than my last 8 or 9 years by far. The only thing that tops it is coming back to finish my career in Seattle again, coming full circle. The White Sox have a great clubhouse, they're very passionate over there and I loved playing for Ozzie Guillen. Ozzie and the front office really care about everyone in that clubhouse. Ozzie's basically a "short Lou Piniella," those are the two best managers I've ever played for..."

About the trade last year: "Kenny Williams said there would be three conditions that I had to abide by. One, I couldn't wear my hat backwards or to the side. Two, no earrings. Three, I had to stand at attention for the national anthem."

GoGoCrede
08-12-2009, 01:21 AM
I love Griff. So glad I got to watch The Play in person at the blackout game, bummed I didn't buy a Griffey shirt.

SoxSpeed22
08-12-2009, 01:24 AM
Jr. is a class act through and through. I look forward to his hall of fame induction.

DSpivack
08-12-2009, 01:33 AM
Jr. is a class act through and through. I look forward to his hall of fame induction.

It'd be cool if he and Big Frank went in together.

Nellie_Fox
08-12-2009, 01:40 AM
It'd be cool if he and Big Frank went in together.Frank should be first-ballot; if so, they won't go in together.

KnightSox
08-12-2009, 03:09 AM
Jr. is a class act through and through. I look forward to his hall of fame induction.Damn right.

If not for the injuries through the years, we would have had a true home run king.

Boondock Saint
08-12-2009, 03:17 AM
There aren't enough guys like Griffey in the world. All class.

hawkjt
08-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Jr has been around forever and when he says that about Kenny,Ozzie and the White Sox clubhouse,it speaks volumes.
He has been around many clubhouses,and even got a bit of a bad rep himself, but I think it is pretty clear he is the class act in the picture.

Now, no more rbi's vs the Sox this year,Jr...ok?:D:

skobabe8
08-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Junior is all class. Now if only we can get that rookie card to go up in value. :D:

http://pmajack.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/griffey-jr-upper-deck-rookie.jpg?w=268&h=360

Ron Karkovice
08-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Junior is all class. Now if only we can get that rookie card to go up in value. :D:

http://pmajack.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/griffey-jr-upper-deck-rookie.jpg?w=268&h=360

the ol' 1989 upper deck :bandance:

Dibbs
08-12-2009, 09:03 AM

That will always be one of the sweetest cards ever made.

Taliesinrk
08-12-2009, 09:08 AM
That will always be one of the sweetest cards ever made.

and card set! Santa always brought me factory sets for Christmas, and so I have Topps, Donruss, and UD for like 6 straight years from 90 on... but I got the 89 UD set first, and hands down that has always been the best... I remember when cards used to be worth more, it had certainly appreciated in value. I have no idea what they go for now.

Red Barchetta
08-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Jr. is a class act. Too bad the injury bug took 100+ home runs away from him. :(:

twsoxfan5
08-12-2009, 09:42 AM
As others have said in this thread. With all the clubhouses Griffey has been in what he is saying speaks volumes, especially since he was only here for 2 months.

Taliesinrk
08-12-2009, 09:45 AM
As others have said in this thread. With all the clubhouses Griffey has been in what he is saying speaks volumes, especially since he was only here for 2 months.

I'm not surprised.. but somewhat am. I say that because when he came he had Swisher pouting... specifically because of him, and Cabrera. I'm sure he was impressed by whatever the display was that Cabrera put on in Tampa before striking out and looking like an all-around loser.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-12-2009, 09:48 AM
About the trade last year: "Kenny Williams said there would be three conditions that I had to abide by. One, I couldn't wear my hat backwards or to the side. Two, no earrings. Three, I had to stand at attention for the national anthem."

Very cool to hear that Jr. enjoyed his few months with the Sox. However, what is the big deal about wearing a hat backwards? I understand the earrings and national anthem thing but the hat one always puzzles me. :scratch:

soxfanreggie
08-12-2009, 09:50 AM
From personal experience with Griffey, Jr., I cannot share some of the same views as you all have (I may get blated by some on this). I made a post in the Kane thread about how we don't always see how a player is all the time. I'm glad Griffey had a great experience here and that people here mostly like him; I had no problems with him when he was on the Sox. I just can't share in that view completely based on some personal observations from his time in Cincinnati.

Taliesinrk
08-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Very cool to hear that Jr. enjoyed his few months with the Sox. However, what is the big deal about wearing a hat backwards? I understand the earrings and national anthem thing but the hat one always puzzles me. :scratch:

? - I see it both ways. As the old school thing it's partly being professional - the idea of the team is that it's more important than any of its individual parts. Wearing your hat backwards makes you stand out and be noticed apart from your other teammates making it seem as though you're more important than the team as a whole (more symbolically), so it's both literally and figuratively "putting the team behind you".

OTOH, is it really that big of a deal to wear it backwards shagging balls in the OF or taking BP? I mean, he's not wearing it like that in the games...

I've never been a big fan of it, but not sure how strictly I'd enforce if I were in charge.

jabrch
08-12-2009, 09:55 AM

It looks sloppy. I do it myself - but I am not a professional baseball player. There's no reason for it. If a hat was meant to be worn backwards, the brim would be in the back.

WisSoxFan
08-12-2009, 10:09 AM

I posted this once before, but I had a college baseball coach tell me you never where your team/school's hat backwards. It's a sign of disrespect. You can wear other team/school's hats backwards. So, at least at the collegiate level, wearing a hat backwards is taboo. Don't know if that is Williams' MO or not.

Rohan
08-12-2009, 10:15 AM

Did Griffey previously not stand at attention for the national anthem? It's cool that KW places emphasis on it.

oeo
08-12-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm not surprised.. but somewhat am. I say that because when he came he had Swisher pouting... specifically because of him, and Cabrera. I'm sure he was impressed by whatever the display was that Cabrera put on in Tampa before striking out and looking like an all-around loser.

Swisher didn't start pouting until the last couple weeks of the year. And people still think Cabrera was the bad guy in TB? Balfour was yelling **** at our hitters. He should be getting props for sticking up for his teammates.

october23sp
08-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Really happy I bought a Griffey jersey. My favorite player of all time just in front of big Frank.

Taliesinrk
08-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Swisher didn't start pouting until the last couple weeks of the year. And people still think Cabrera was the bad guy in TB? Balfour was yelling **** at our hitters. He should be getting props for sticking up for his teammates.

I'd give props to him had he not gone down on strikes in one of the biggest ABs of the year after looking like a complete clown. Notice I didn't make any mention of Balfour... that guy is in a looney league of his own. In the encyclopedia next to head-case should be his picture.

ewokpelts
08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I love Griff. So glad I got to watch The Play in person at the blackout game, bummed I didn't buy a Griffey shirt.
sox have plenty at $10 a shirt

ewokpelts
08-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Did Griffey previously not stand at attention for the national anthem? It's cool that KW places emphasis on it.That's an Ozzie Rule.

Rohan
08-12-2009, 11:03 AM
:tongue: I picturing you typing this into the google search bar:

"Griffey + Clinton + indian style"

Hahaha pretty much. I was thinking, how could such a big story go so unnoticed. I'm such a fool! :lol:

sox have plenty at $10 a shirt

Yeah there were still some at grandstand two weeks ago.

Iwritecode
08-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Wasn't there a story just a few years ago about a ballplayer not standing for the anthem for some reason?

Rockabilly
08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Wasn't there a story just a few years ago about a ballplayer not standing for the anthem for some reason?

I believe that was a basketball player.. I forget his name

voodoochile
08-12-2009, 11:21 AM
It looks sloppy. I do it myself - but I am not a professional baseball player. There's no reason for it. If a hat was meant to be worn backwards, the brim would be in the back.

Interesting marketing idea... Hats with the brim in "back" with the logo on the brimless side...

VeeckAsInWreck
08-12-2009, 11:24 AM

Carlos Delgado (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5481503/)

guillen4life13
08-12-2009, 11:25 AM

I believe Carlos Delgado had some issues with the National Anthem.

08-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Frank should be first-ballot; if so, they won't go in together.

Has Frank Offically retired? Did he put his paperwork in?

VeeckAsInWreck
08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Has Frank Offically retired? Did he put his paperwork in?

I don't think Frank has officially retired. I remember a few months ago there were rumblings about him possibly signing with Boston.

Then again, Rickey Henderson just went into the Hall Of Fame and he doesn't consider himself retired.

Iwritecode
08-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Carlos Delgado (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/5481503/)

I believe Carlos Delgado had some issues with the National Anthem.

Yep, that's who I was thinking of.

wilburaga
08-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Frank should be first-ballot; if so, they won't go in together.

Griffey is a legitimate five tool player who, barring an unexpected appearance on a dirty list, is a surefire first ballot HOFer. (Though doubtless some dope will exclude him as some did Henderson.)

Frank was a two tool player, though very much at the top of those two tools. I think that perception will keep him out of the Hall on the first ballot.

W

palehozenychicty
08-12-2009, 12:14 PM

Delgado.

voodoochile
08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Griffey is a legitimate five tool player who, barring an unexpected appearance on a dirty list, is a surefire first ballot HOFer. (Though doubtless some dope will exclude him as some did Henderson.)

Frank was a two tool player, though very much at the top of those two tools. I think that perception will keep him out of the Hall on the first ballot.

W

If so it will be a travesty.

Check out the stats for career OPS and career runs generated and look at where Frank stands on those lists. Then note how many of the eligible players above him and below him are not in the HOF.

BainesHOF
08-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Griffey is the best player I've seen. It's too bad the steroid players overshadowed some of his greatness. It's nice to hear that he enjoyed his time with us.

At the last memorabilia show in Rosemont, I bought a signed 16 x 20 photo of Griffey in a Sox uniform. It was authenticated by Upper Deck, the only way I'd buy an autograph from a third party. It was a steal at $65. A Kansas City dealer was trying to dump his stock of them since the photo featured Griffey in a Sox uniform. Nationally, collectors would want Griffey in a Seattle uniform or perhaps a Reds one.

Frankfan4life
08-12-2009, 12:45 PM
From personal experience with Griffey, Jr., I cannot share some of the same views as you all have (I may get blated by some on this). I made a post in the Kane thread about how we don't always see how a player is all the time. I'm glad Griffey had a great experience here and that people here mostly like him; I had no problems with him when he was on the Sox. I just can't share in that view completely based on some personal observations from his time in Cincinnati.Care to share any specific examples?

Redus Redux
08-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Out of curiosity, have Barry Bonds cards absolutely nosedived in value?

tstrike2000
08-12-2009, 01:59 PM
See you in the Hall of Fame Griff.

tstrike2000
08-12-2009, 02:00 PM

The Big Hurt is a first ballot HOF'er.

BadBobbyJenks
08-12-2009, 02:17 PM

Considering he was cleared by the Mitchell Report, I would be shocked if he did not get in on the first ballot.

ewokpelts
08-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I believe Carlos Delgado had some issues with the National Anthem.god bless america

ewokpelts
08-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Griffey is the best player I've seen. It's too bad the steroid players overshadowed some of his greatness. It's nice to hear that he enjoyed his time with us.

At the last memorabilia show in Rosemont, I bought a signed 16 x 20 photo of Griffey in a Sox uniform. It was authenticated by Upper Deck, the only way I'd buy an autograph from a third party. It was a steal at $65. A Kansas City dealer was trying to dump his stock of them since the photo featured Griffey in a Sox uniform. Nationally, collectors would want Griffey in a Seattle uniform or perhaps a Reds one.killer deal.

uda, tristar, mounted memories, and steiner are the best of the auto dealers.

if you cant go through them, get a certified auto pulled form a pack of cards.

Gavin
08-12-2009, 04:06 PM
In 2008, Ken Griffey Jr. only recorded one double play on defense. Thanks.

ramblinsoxfan11
08-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Griffey has always been one of my favorite players since I was a kid, I'm still glad to see that at all the Sox games I've been to this season there have been plenty of people still wearing their Sox Griffey jerseys, despite the fact that he played about a half season with us :D:

SOXSINCE'70
08-12-2009, 05:47 PM
In 2008, Ken Griffey Jr. only recorded one double play on defense. Thanks.

I'll never forget that play.Ever.
Throwing out Michael Cuddyer at home plate on what looked like
a 1 out Sac Fly was the play of game # 163 .

thomas35forever
08-12-2009, 07:56 PM
:hawk
"I loooooove Junior."

Ron Karkovice
08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
http://image2.onlineauction.com/auctions//43495/rdnc-1053001-1.jpg

Still have this framed in my basement bar. Oh the days when my hundreds and hundreds of Frank Thomas cards were worth something (him and Griff always had the highest valued cards in the mid 90s.)

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Who else "just knew" when he pinch hit in the game tonight that he would get the game winner?

whitesoxfan
08-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Who else "just knew" when he pinch hit in the game tonight that he would get the game winner?

Me.

I still love the guy, but that was painful. Can't believe they didn't throw him a high fastball there.

southside rocks
08-13-2009, 06:30 AM

Yeah, you could feel it coming -- I thought it might be a homerun, but I expected him to get the job done. And he did.

He's a great, an all-time great, player, and a great human being too.

russ99
08-13-2009, 06:42 AM

Absolutely agree that Frank should be first-ballot but I wouldn't be surprised if some pinheads and east-coasters in the writers association keep him out a ballot or two due to the DH.

Then hopefully those idiots get called out for their bias, since Frank's numbers are beyond question.

Back on topic, Griffey may be one of the best all-around players Ive seen play but Frank's the best hitter I've seen play and that includes guys like Schmidt, Rose, Yaz, etc...

g0g0
08-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Griffey Jr. is one of the true baseball players out there. He's done it the right way. I only wish he would have stayed healthy. I hate seeing all of the asterisk players up there on the record books!

Rudy Law
08-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Sorry if this was already posted........ but on Monday night Steve Stone mentioned that Griffey did not get along with some guys on the team last year...Does anyone know anything about this?....You can only assume Swisher was one of them and probably OC......But who else do you think it could have been?

Whitesoxfan23
08-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Sorry if this was already posted........ but on Monday night Steve Stone mentioned that Griffey did not get along with some guys on the team last year...Does anyone know anything about this?....You can only assume Swisher was one of them and probably OC......But who else do you think it could have been?

I wasn't aware of this. Griffey was very positive about his time with the Sox. I wonder who it was :scratch:

GoGoCrede
08-13-2009, 11:35 PM

I'm honestly puzzled as well. I know I shouldn't pretend that he got along with all the guys, but I can't think of who it would be. That clubhouse had its issues, didn't it?

Rudy Law
08-13-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm honestly puzzled as well. I know I shouldn't pretend that he got along with all the guys, but I can't think of who it would be. That clubhouse had its issues, didn't it?

Like I said Swisher and OC were my guesses....I think Dotel might be another guess....Also don't forget Toby Hall.. I have heard he wasn't well liked....... I don't see it being Thome or Konerko

skobabe8
08-13-2009, 11:44 PM
http://image2.onlineauction.com/auctions//43495/rdnc-1053001-1.jpg

Still have this framed in my basement bar. Oh the days when my hundreds and hundreds of Frank Thomas cards were worth something (him and Griff always had the highest valued cards in the mid 90s.)

Thats awesome. Might be beter than the SI cover in '94.

gobears1987
08-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Like I said Swisher and OC were my guesses....I think Dotel might be another guess....Also don't forget Toby Hall.. I have heard he wasn't well liked....... I don't see it being Thome or Konerko
Swisher and OC are likely culprits. I'd bet money that Swisher was one of them. He's such a fake. He puts on a face of being an enthusiastic teammate, but from what I've heard in reality he's a douche.

whitesoxfan
08-14-2009, 12:31 AM
I don't know, Swish said when Griffey was acquired that he loved the guy and gladly offered his number to KGJ.

I'd put a large chunk of money on OC.

hawkjt
08-14-2009, 10:47 AM

I think you heard wrong. Stoney mentioned that there was some talk of Junior not getting along with everyone in the Reds clubhouse, and then Hawk said you will never get along with everyone on a team...but they only talked of positive clubhouse feel for kenny in Chicago.

I think you mis-heard. Junior was clearly very pleased with the Sox clubhouse from all his comments.

Ron Karkovice
08-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Thats awesome. Might be beter than the SI cover in '94.

I dont know thats a close one. I couldnt find a pic of it.

Rocky Soprano
08-14-2009, 01:06 PM
I fell in love with baseball because of Frank and JR. I actually went out and bought a Mariners hat and wore it backwards because I wanted to be like JR. I will never forget seeing him wear a Sox uniform and can't wait to see him and Frank in the HOF.

35th&Shields
08-14-2009, 01:46 PM
I believe that was a basketball player.. I forget his name

Chris Anderson at LSU? Changed his name to a Muslim name. Can't place it.

pudge
08-14-2009, 06:11 PM
From personal experience with Griffey, Jr., I cannot share some of the same views as you all have (I may get blated by some on this). I made a post in the Kane thread about how we don't always see how a player is all the time. I'm glad Griffey had a great experience here and that people here mostly like him; I had no problems with him when he was on the Sox. I just can't share in that view completely based on some personal observations from his time in Cincinnati.

Yeah, to read all the "class act" comments here, just goes to show how little people actually know about a person. I presume he is a much changed person in his older age, and I give him credit for that, but everyone here would have a much different opinion if they saw him in the locker room in his early Seattle years. I can't describe the way he treated people because it would get blocked by the spam filters. But he was such an on-field hero, and the Seattle media is so tame, you didn't hear much of it.

Whitesoxfan23
08-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah, to read all the "class act" comments here, just goes to show how little people actually know about a person. I presume he is a much changed person in his older age, and I give him credit for that, but everyone here would have a much different opinion if they saw him in the locker room in his early Seattle years. I can't describe the way he treated people because it would get blocked by the spam filters. But he was such an on-field hero, and the Seattle media is so tame, you didn't hear much of it.

Can you try to elaborate?

Rudy Law
08-14-2009, 06:43 PM
I think you heard wrong. Stoney mentioned that there was some talk of Junior not getting along with everyone in the Reds clubhouse, and then Hawk said you will never get along with everyone on a team...but they only talked of positive clubhouse feel for kenny in Chicago.

I think you mis-heard. Junior was clearly very pleased with the Sox clubhouse from all his comments.

I am pretty sure I heard him right... I think he said: "though there were some he had problems with in the clubhouse, he did enjoy his time in Chicago"... That sounds like he saying had problems here....